Awoo.

Firefox and SSMB Don't Seem To Be Cooperating Properly

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

Okay, this has become a notable problem. Lately, whenever on SSMB's desktop mode in Firefox, there have been several features missing or not working.

• The multi-quote function, including the button icon for it, has disappeared, and before that it wasn't working properly.
  • Notifications aren't showing up as the actions that prompt them are done. I've had to refresh every time I want to check for new notifications.
  • This has been happening the longest: Whenever I try to simply copy and paste an image into a post, the picture is saved, as if I'm uploading it to SSMB and then potentially takes u the image space in my account. I've had to copy/paste the image link.
  • The forum's been acting a bit sluggish and haywire.

The weird thing is that, when I came on via Microsoft Edge (ugh), for the first time in forever, copying and pasting the images worked just fine. And all the listed problems weren't taxing the experience!

So, @bmn or @Chris? Might this have something to do with possible aftershock effects of the SSMB updates of late and recent?

If so, how might I handle this, as I'd rather not switch to a different browser just for one site working properly.

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley said:

This has been happening the longest: Whenever I try to simply copy and paste an image into a post, the picture is saved, as if I'm uploading it to SSMB and then potentially takes u the image space in my account. I've had to copy/paste the image link.

I think Firefox has always been like that. Copying the image directly just adds the image to your clipboard, but you can right click and use "copy image location" right below it to copy the URL usually. I kind of assumed this was the case with other browsers, but I guess not? Hope that's an easy fix, at least.

I can't really speak for the other things, since I almost only use SSMB with Firefox on desktop and Safari on my phone and don't really notice much difference in my browsing. With regards to the multi-quote button, assuming it's not showing up in other browsers (and it sounds like it just wasn't working at some point), it may have been removed via updates. I know it's a lot easier to quote parts of posts now by highlight and selecting "quote selection" on the pop-in, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

With regards to the multi-quote button, assuming it's not showing up in other browsers (and it sounds like it just wasn't working at some point), it may have been removed via updates.

Nope. Unfortunately, that's not the case as the problems weren't still occurring when using another desktop browser.

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley said:

The weird thing is that, when I came on via Microsoft Edge (ugh), for the first time in forever, copying and pasting the images worked just fine. And all the listed problems weren't taxing the experience!

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley said:

Nope. Unfortunately, that's not the case as the problems weren't still occurring when using another desktop browser.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood.

And I'm obviously blind because I never noticed the button before lol (I usually use the selection). I actually do see it in Firefox. The little blue plus? I did a quick test in Chrome and Firefox, but it appears to be working.

4 hours ago, Zaysho said:

And I'm obviously blind because I never noticed the button before lol (I usually use the selection). I actually do see it in Firefox. The little blue plus? I did a quick test in Chrome and Firefox, but it appears to be working.

Blue eh? I'm using the Sticks theme, so I assume you're referring to the button next to "Quote", correct? It's not showing up for me. Could it be becuase one's a mod and the other isn't in some server based fashion regarding the updates?

Firefox read people here complaining about a whiny, cowardly fox and thought they were talking about it. Hurt feelings ensued.

But in all seriousness, the quote button does work fine for my Chrome using self, I tested it out and everything.

However, the site has been unusually sluggish recently. It may be because of interactions with AdBlock (Side note: Its through no fault of this website but rather whatever company handles the ads for this site. I've had many banner ads try to install stuff or just outright start installing stuff on my computer here-- stuff obviously not designed for Macs and therefore non-functional on my computer, fortunately, but not the kind of thing I'd like to risk letting into my computer. Not to mention very NSFW redirect bugs. If there's a way to support the site without turning adblocker off, I am game for it.). It could also have something to do with the growing pains of various updates this site has had that may be linked to the whole Firefox issue so I figure its worth noting in this thread.

Any other Chrome users experiencing sluggishness?

Slowness: We're running a maintenance op in the background to rebuild the content of all the posts and status updates. It's been running for about a week handling 750 posts a minute, and should be going for another week or so. I'm hoping this is the cause of the intermittent slowness, but will look at it again once the job's complete.

Problem ads: I haven't looked at the monetisation strategy in a couple of years, so that's planned when there's some free time, but I am inclined to move away from the type of advertising that invites the problem ads, if we can make it work. I should note that it's disabled on the forum for logged-in users, so your ad blocker isn't really hurting us in that sense!

Multiquote: Should be fully functional. It may be a skin-specific issue, or related to an outdated cache or cookies, so try clearing those. If it still doesn't work, could you open the developer toolbar (F12) and switch to the Console tab, and see if any errors appear when reloading the page.

Notifications: May be related to the multiquote issue.

Editor image importing: This does seem to be different, looking at it more closely. This is intended behaviour. Standard text editors (used in IPB3 etc) will fail to paste an image, or will insert the local path for a drag-and-dropped image (which won't work anyway). Early versions of IPS4's editor would store a pasted/dropped image in the post itself as a data URL (a very long URL containing the entire image data), which isn't ideal for the database - this may be the behaviour you're thinking of. The current editor should work like this:

• Drag and drop an image from your computer = upload as an attachment
  • Drag and drop an image from a webpage = hotlink to the original image
  • Copy and paste an image from Windows Explorer = upload as an attachment
  • Copy and paste the URL of an image = hotlink to the original image
  • Copy and paste an image from a webpage = upload a true colour PNG of the image browser-specific?

The latter case happens because, when copying image data, it's stored in the clipboard as a raw uncompressed image (of a single frame - forget using it for gifs) and nothing else (no URL, for example), so the editor doesn't have much choice but to convert it to a web-suitable format.

General theme problems: We're working on a new set of themes, which should resolve the small wear and tear problems from updating a load of times. No ETA.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

32 minutes ago, bmn said:

Editor image importing: This is intended behaviour. Standard text editors (used in IPB3 etc) will fail to paste an image, or will insert the local path for a drag-and-dropped image (which won't work anyway). Early versions of IPS4's editor would store a pasted/dropped image in the post itself as a data URL (a very long URL containing the entire image data), which isn't ideal for the database - this may be the behaviour you're thinking of. The current editor should work like this:

• Drag and drop an image from your computer = upload as an attachment
  • Drag and drop an image from a webpage = hotlink to the original image
  • Copy and paste an image from Windows Explorer = upload as an attachment
  • Copy and paste the URL of an image = hotlink to the original image
  • Copy and paste an image from a webpage = upload a true colour PNG of the image

The latter case happens because, when copying image data, it's stored in the clipboard as a raw uncompressed image (of a single frame - forget using it for gifs) and nothing else (no URL, for example), so the editor doesn't have much choice but to convert it to a web-suitable format.

I guess. The odd thing though is that it used to work perfectly fine without me needing to paste the link. And then again,  there's the fact that it worked fine on Microsoft Edge too. 

Any reasons for that?

Looking into it.

(The information in the previous post about how images are stored in the clipboard was slightly incorrect - they're stored as two fields, one with the raw image data, one with the original URL.)

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/446652-browser-specific-behaviour-pasting-images-into-ckeditor/
(for my own info - this link won't work if you aren't an IPS client, but you get the idea)

Well, for me SSMB works fine on the Windows Firefox, and look I'm using it since I registered myself here (This in like 2016, almost 2 years ago).

But why I came here isn't because of that. I would like to relate a bug on SSMB in the mobile version of Firefox. It's impossible to open the navbar using this version of Firefox. It works fine with Chrome and the generic Android browser. Not sure if this is a SSMB bug or Firefox bug, but I thought it could be a good idea to tell someone about it. With the navbar not working, it's impossible to login. I just managed to login by opening SSMB on another browser and copying the login link and pasting it on Firefox. I also tried requesting the Desktop version on Firefox, it didn't worked too.

Not sure if this is the right topic, but I don't think it's fully necessary to create another just to say this.

@Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley

I've heard back from IPS; the image pasting behaviour is a design choice on their part. Reportedly, Firefox's behaviour is different in this situation, and IPS's approach is to respect the browser's behaviour. In this specific situation, it may not even be possible to create matching behaviour if Firefox is only providing the data and not the reference.

Image data copying/pasting is one of those things that has never been addressed in a web standard as far as I know, and it's only in the last couple of years that sites have actually started to do sensible things when faced with it. Thankfully, copying the image location isn't much of a stretch ;)

In terms of some of the other issues, this post may be of help:

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, bmn said:

@Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley

I've heard back from IPS; the image pasting behaviour is a design choice on their part. Reportedly, Firefox's behaviour is different in this situation, and IPS's approach is to respect the browser's behaviour. In this specific situation, it may not even be possible to create matching behaviour if Firefox is only providing the data and not the reference.

Image data copying/pasting is one of those things that has never been addressed in a web standard as far as I know, and it's only in the last couple of years that sites have actually started to do sensible things when faced with it. Thankfully, copying the image location isn't much of a stretch ;)

In terms of some of the other issues, this post may be of help:

Much appreciated. And on the plus side, your suggestion for clearing my caches has cured the other initial problems I mentioned! Thanks on that!