Awoo.

sonic ova, sonic x or sonic mania adventures

Meta77

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

You what mate.

Anyway, honestly for me all three of these options amount to "Hey, which of these series you don't particularly hold fondness for wold you want back" and to that I'd say "eh, none". 

The Sonic OVA is glacial in pacing and not particularly that exciting to go back and rewatch in retrospective, Sonic X is terrible all around, and I don't like the animation style of the bits I've seen of SMA (the style of humour that people keep posting screencaps of aren't exactly my cup of tea either). 

I mean in a story sense where they properly reference something related to the Classic games and have it tie into what's currently at hand. Not counting stuff like returning levels and other such things. Unless there's things slipping my mind here.

Also to answer the question I'd like something like Mania Adventures, but closer to Sonic CD animation, and with voice acting like OVA or AoSTH.

Idk...probably Sonic X, though

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Sonic Team was incredibly lazy in that regards, okay let's accept that the Phantom Ruby is known by Eggman in Mania, why didnt they have Eggman remember it or rediscover it again in Forces, instead of inventing it or discover it (these 2 interpretations are canon to this game choose one of the two, it's THAT bad, just like Infinite having 3 canon origin stories).

There's this topic about a script that is supposedly from Forces development that suggests that Eggman and Infinite were supposed to be using a completely different invention originally and it was later streamlined/combined into being the Phantom Ruby.

While the validity of that script is still kinda sketchy to me, stuff like that does actually have some reasonable correlation behind it.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

I mean if you were really that insistent on a consistent timeline you should've ditched the series around '06 where they butchered Blaze's backstory anyway.

Uh, did it really, though?

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

There's this topic about a script that is supposedly from Forces development that suggests that Eggman and Infinite were supposed to be using a completely different invention originally and it was later streamlined/combined into being the Phantom Ruby.

While the validity of that script is still kinda sketchy to me, stuff like that does actually have some reasonable correlation behind it.

Uh, did it really, though?

Yeah, 06 did a horrible job on Blaze and destroyed her backstory instead of inventing another new character to befriend Silver.

Thankfully the story of this game got completely erased.

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Yeah, 06 did a horrible job on Blaze and destroyed her backstory instead of inventing another new character to befriend Silver.

Thankfully the story of this game got completely erased.

Not really...?

Like, when does her backstory, anything related to it, or, let's be honest here, anything to do with her prior appearance remotely come up and/or become relevant?

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Not really...?

Like, when does her backstory, anything related to it, or, let's be honest here, anything to do with her prior appearance come up?

If I remember correctly she was in favor of killing Sonic.

None of the above:

Spoiler

In all seriousness though, I prefer the OVA. But there's a fat chance in hell of anything like that coming out of Modern SEGA.

10 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

If I remember correctly she was in favor of killing Sonic.

Who she never really saw in the Purple Emerald, meet with hostile intent, or interacts with onscreen.

Again, when is she remotely relevant outside of her talks with Silver?

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Not really...?

Like, when does her backstory, anything related to it, or, let's be honest here, anything to do with her prior appearance come up?

That's kind of the problem. Rush introduces her as a princess from another dimension with her own set of emeralds to guard, and then '06 has her living in Sonic's dimension's ruined future with no explanation and no apparent connection to anything in either her original backstory or in the events of Rush, just to be a terrible mentor to Silver and to sacrifice herself pointlessly (apparently somehow putting her out of reach of a time god as she's literally the only important character who doesn't show up at the end of the world). And then future games follow on from her backstory in Rush, except she kinda-sorta remembers Silver and Crisis City somehow??? It's a whole load of nonsense, they treated the Blaze of '06 like Rush never existed but then decided they're both somehow true.

• Thumbs Up 5

I generally agree with JezMM that it's hard to compare these shows. Mania Adventures' potential is severally hampered by run-time, and I believe there's only so much you can do with their decision to stay pantomime. I prefer the drama inherent to the best beats of the OVA and Sonic X to anything I've seen achieved in SMA.

The OVA's my favorite of the bunch but l have to admit it's a lean and mean production that told the story it built itself up to tell. I'd love for them to throw Amy in the mix, and see it go to series, but I'm not positive it would work out.

As for Sonic X, for one, it's a crying shame that it'll took until 2003 to get Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy on the same cast (casts a side glance at Underground). Despite many faults... any show that can pull off a scene as emotional as 52's: Natsu no Hi deserves more credit then it gets.

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

That's kind of the problem. Rush introduces her as a princess from another dimension with her own set of emeralds to guard, and then '06 has her living in Sonic's dimension's ruined future with no explanation and no apparent connection to anything in either her original backstory or in the events of Rush, just to be a terrible mentor to Silver and to sacrifice herself pointlessly (apparently somehow putting her out of reach of a time god as she's literally the only important character who doesn't show up at the end of the world). And then future games follow on from her backstory in Rush, except she kinda-sorta remembers Silver and Crisis City somehow??? It's a whole load of nonsense, they treated the Blaze of '06 like Rush never existed but then decided they're both somehow true.

The icing on the infuriating cake is how for the first half of game, she obsesses over "blue hedgehog..." as if foreshadowing that this is the same blaze remembering sonic from rush and that is going to be important, then in the one or two cutscenes where she and sonic are in the same room, they don't interact at all and nothing becomes of it. Honestly it's the one thing that snarls at the headcanoner even if they accept this is an alternate blaze or that this blaze comes before rush and she simply lost her memories of 2006 along with everyone else.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I can only assume she was left out of the Final Story to keep her sacrifice(?) valid for the sake of simplicity. You know, unless she really did become one with Iblis or something.

Did they already know each other in Colors?

Honestly, her being in Silver/Iblis's Future at all isn't really that much of an issue, but taking the later references into account, I can sorta see some convolution.

8 minutes ago, JezMM said:

The icing on the infuriating cake is how for the first half of game, she obsesses over "blue hedgehog..." as if foreshadowing that this is the same blaze remembering sonic from rush and that is going to be important, then in the one or two cutscenes where she and sonic are in the same room, they don't interact at all and nothing becomes of it. 

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't that turn out to be some weird translation issue?

On topic.

I actually like all three. Honestly even despite Chris being a turd in the last arc I really don't think he's that bad in the rest of the show. I'd honestly like to see a season 4 that actually let's Chris stay an Adult and show how he's different than he was as a kid. I guess that kinda happened in season 3 but there was that stupid changing him back intoa kid thing.

The OVA was just awesome in general. I loved it so much I rented it regularly from my local video store. Never got my own copy though. It'd be neat to revisit this continuity and see elements like Shadow or the Deadly 6 or Dark Gaia. It'd be fun.

Mania Adventures has been so much fun. I'd love to see it extended into a full series maybe with voice acting because I doubt kids would watch a full series with no dialouge at all. It'd be kinda fun to have a fully canon Sonic Toon too for a change. 

As for the Timeline I...don't really care. Sonic has never had the tightest continuity anyway so what's one split timeline?

• Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I can only assume she was left out of the Final Story to keep her sacrifice(?) valid for the sake of simplicity.

Except the whole point of the last story invalidates it completely, erasing the flame so none of the game's events ever happened anyway. If you're going to reverse her sacrifice anyway and your overly-convenient end-of-the-world scenario is already plucking people out of different time periods, why not bring her back then? I mean the practical reason is probably because, with Sonic dead and Blaze gone, there's 7 playable characters left to match the 7 emeralds, but that doesn't change that she really got the short end of the stick there.

Did they already know each other in Colors?

Silver and Blaze? I thought there was a line to that effect in Colors DS, but looking it up it's Silver who says it:

Blaze: Hmph. I suppose it was an easier fight with your help.
Silver: It almost felt like we've paired up before.
Tails: Wow, maybe you guys were partners somewhere, some time. I guess anything is possible!

On one hand it's still poking at the seams of this Blaze issue. On the other, who can say how canon Colors DS and its extra mission dialogue is even supposed to be. And on the gnarled, mutant third hand, I'm pretty sure Generations does have her explicitly kinda-sorta remembering Crisis City regardless.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't that turn out to be some weird translation issue?

From what I've heard, and as near as I can verify as someone who doesn't speak a word of Japanese, yeah. Apparently the word used is usually used to mean blue, but it can also mean something along the lines of naive, inexperienced, young, etc., and it's the same word Blaze uses when she calls Silver naive. So it's probably less "hey I know a blue hedgehog" and more foreshadowing that Silver is playing into the bad guy's hands, that the Iblis Trigger isn't the blue hedgehog but the naive hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Except the whole point of the last story invalidates it completely, erasing the flame so none of the game's events ever happened anyway. If you're going to reverse her sacrifice anyway and your overly-convenient end-of-the-world scenario is already plucking people out of different time periods, why not bring her back then? I mean the practical reason is probably because, with Sonic dead and Blaze gone, there's 7 playable characters left to match the 7 emeralds, but that doesn't change that she really got the short end of the stick there.

Pretty much, but fair enough.

Silver and Blaze? I thought there was a line to that effect in Colors DS, but looking it up it's Silver who says it:

On one hand it's still poking at the seams of this Blaze issue. On the other, who can say how canon Colors DS and its extra mission dialogue is even supposed to be. And on the gnarled, mutant third hand, I'm pretty sure Generations does have her explicitly kinda-sorta remembering Crisis City regardless.

Oh, now that just sounds like a wink-wink moment.

And then Generations arguably muddled things.

From what I've heard, and as near as I can verify as someone who doesn't speak a word of Japanese, yeah. Apparently the word used is usually used to mean blue, but it can also mean something along the lines of naive, inexperienced, young, etc., and it's the same word Blaze uses when she calls Silver naive. So it's probably less "hey I know a blue hedgehog" and more foreshadowing that Silver is playing into the bad guy's hands, that the Iblis Trigger isn't the blue hedgehog but the naive hedgehog.

...Dang. Now wouldn't that have been a reveal.

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I want the timeline to be consistent, I want to care about the world building, the lore. Butchering the timeline forces me to choose what media I can enjoy.
😭

You're too late pal, that train has departed ages ago. As sad as it sounds, Sonic Team don't give a fuck about continuity. In fact, they haven't been giving a fuck to anything lately.

As for the thread in question: Mania Adventures isn't over yet, so yeah, the OVA is more enjoyable for me. Even with Sarah... even with her.

Haha I like how you said even with Sara....even with her.

She was one of my favorite characters. It took me awhile to figure out she was basically a neko. The fights were also pretty great. Sonic and the gang fighting black eggman or metal robotnik and the metal fight were just amazing. Seeing sonic face slam metal into solid ice.

X could have been good if they dropped the human element and had left it a strict retailing of the games with a few side stories. Chris while i know some like him was just annoying, his maid was annoying. The only human i liked was topaz mostly cause rouge made that whole you must be into bondage thing and I guess she was serious or joking. I never knew.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting, I had settled on the idea that Sara and the president were some form of monkey. 😁

I grew to really like most of the supporting cast of Sonic X (no Chris sit back down): Topaz and Rouge had good chemistry, Chalkboard Charlie got honest laughs out of me, Helen, and I personally liked Ella (though I'm not sure how much of the latter was the show or the comic anymore).

25 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Interesting, I had settled on the idea that Sara and the president were some form of monkey. 😁

I grew to really like most of the supporting cast of Sonic X (no Chris sit back down): Topaz and Rouge had good chemistry, Chalkboard Charlie got honest laughs out of me, Helen, and I personally liked Ella (though I'm not sure how much of the latter was the show or the comic anymore).

Yea it was one of those weird 90 anything goes things lol.

I thought the president was also a monkey but sara a cat based on her ears the way her tail flaired when angry. Seriously id love a statue of her. like a bishoujo line

Glad I didn't get to this topic until after Mania Adventures 4 because that episode really affected my outlook.

Before that episode I would have easily said the OVA (I've read that it was supposedly a pilot to a full length series but well...) just because it has my favorite iterations of Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and Knuckles. There is a whole lot more to it than that, such as the music and general atmosphere, and even though it is horribly inaccurate to the games for me characters are the most important thing and the OVA absolutely nails it with characterization for me. 

Now though, I've seen Mania Adventures 4 and have fallen even more so in love with the pantomime storytelling that pulls me back to the classics. Even if it would always stay in short form I would gladly eat up multiple seasons of a short form series. Something about Mania Adventures just pushes all the right buttons for me and leaves me wanting more beyond just the current five episodes we've been promised.

That really just leaves Sonic X, and honestly, I could never get into it. Chris and the other humans honestly took me out of it as they detracted from Sonic and his adventures which themselves were relegated to secondary with his need to sleep constantly. Then as an Amy and Metal Sonic fan the exclusion of the latter and being replaced by Chris for the former were just unacceptable for me. I remember though for what I did watch that I was still hopeful for a Sonic Heroes adaption just in hopes of seeing Metal make an appearance and being bitterly disappointed when they veered away from doing game adaptions without ever touching Heroes. At that point I just stopped following period and only learned how certain things played out latter on by visiting forums and seeing it discussed.

So, I guess then I would say the OVA and Mania Adventures would be my picks.

I'd have to go with Sonic OVA. Been years since I've seen it but I enjoyed it back then and I'd be cool seeing it come back.

Chris pretty much ruined Sonic X for me so that's a no go and Sonic Mania Adventures I haven't watched yet. Though with the new episode up I should probably get around to doing that.

I agree adventures is fun but the ova seemed to have a world with a bigger plot with the land of darkness. Adventures seems to be those fun mini shorts you'd see at the start of a movie

• Thumbs Up 1

The best for me is Sonic Mania Adventures. I would choose this if not for I don't think the animation style can do what the OVA did. The grander set up and high velocity action, may be difficult to do in it's style. Also it's harder to tell a full story with no voices...

But what I would want back or continued is the Sonic OVA. Just put in some better voice acting, get rid of Sara or at least get rid of the weird Eggman/Sara thing, and we'd be on a faster track to what I would like to see. It was so energetic and cool to watch. Tails wasn't a wimp who does nothing. Knuckles has the awesome hat. The set pieces were fun. It's really enjoyable what the OVA tries to do. The story could use some more cohesion and direction to be even better, and I already enjoy the animation style.

Sonic X just sucks.....real bad....could go on a long rant but no....that show is not worth it, and still somehow is somewhat better than Boom for me. 

14 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

,Sonic X just sucks.....real bad....could go on a long rant but no....that show is not worth it, and still somehow is somewhat better than Boom for me. 

The Chaotix were the best part of it.