Awoo.

Why the Modern Sonic Stories Just Don't Work

Marco9966

1 hour ago, A person, that exists said:

OH BOY, HERE WE GO AGAIN

Like, we get it. Sonic's attempts at comedy are utter garbage, and the Adventure games had close to perfect plots because nostalgia. 

But, really, was Sonic's storytelling ever good? Like, the games always had a lot of pointless shit (Time stones, Iblis, any and all artifacts introduced in the Storybook series), annoying and downright useless characters, who clearly were made to sell merchandise (Amy Rose, Knuckles The Echidna, the Chaotix, Shadow, Rouge and so on), cringy dialogue that would make 4Kids look like Shakespeare, and so on.

And the side media, like the Archie comics or the cartoons weren't any better. Archie had a lot of pointless recolors, that made it feel like a fanfic of sorts, Mary-Sues like Sally or Juli-Su, politics (IN A GODDAMN CHILDREN'S COMIC, WHY?!), and so on.

But, really, it's not because of the writers. I'm sure that Pontac, Flynn, heck, even the writers for the Adventure games tried to write something grand, or at least presentable.  

It's because Sonic has no good story potential. It's literally just "Hedgehog breaks robot, hedgehog fights evil fat guy". It's a dumb story about talking animals and pollution, and therefore, no interesting plots can be made out of this scenario.

And, really, why bother? Nobody cares about story in platformers nowadays, so, really, why even add one? 

Sonic Adventure is more than just a platformer game, it had RPG elements, a hub world, stories viewed from different perspectives, a mystery that unfolds with the gradual flashbacks, the hints with the Chao, character development especially Amy, Tails, E-102....

I still have to see a game better than that.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

And, really, why bother? Nobody cares about story in platformers nowadays, so, really, why even add one? 

The amount of stuff you don't care about but still feel fit to make that known could write a long ass book.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

On 7/8/2018 at 6:20 AM, A person, that exists said:

It's because Sonic has no good story potential. It's literally just "Hedgehog breaks robot, hedgehog fights evil fat guy". It's a dumb story about talking animals and pollution, and therefore, no interesting plots can be made out of this scenario.

Because some of us want more out of the games than mindlessly going though Green Hill Zone for the 1,000th time. It may be pointless to you but some fans actually like it when the games put actual effort in the plot.

• Fist Bump 1

There’s something inherently bizarre about Sonic stories having elements of seriousness to them. But you know what? That’s just part of the package. Whenever Sonic Team gets self-conscious about it, the stories go from bizarre and interesting (albeit never as good as their potential thus far) to bland and unengaging. Yes, multicolored gloved animals saving the planet in any primarily serious setting are always going to be just outside the mainstream. It’s weird. But I love that about Sonic. I miss the kind of Sonic I was embarrassed to admit I liked in Middle School. This recent milquetost shit is just not good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There is nothing really bizarre with Sonic having serious story (not more than with many other franchise of the same kind). It's not because a story sound simplistic/basic on the paper that it can't be the basis for something serious. The very success that Sonic had show that it can work. Not for everybody, but for enough people for the franchise to continue to exist. It's not because it sound "weird" to a part of a population that it magically become something impossible to get serious with.

For me, the question is more how to make great stories with what the franchise have to offer (its setting*s*, its cast, its thematic, etc). (and there isn't just one way to do it, and certainly not one way to please everybody with a story xD)

On 7/8/2018 at 6:20 AM, A person, that exists said:

And the side media, like the Archie comics or the cartoons weren't any better. Archie had a lot of pointless recolors, that made it feel like a fanfic of sorts, Mary-Sues like Sally or Juli-Su, politics (IN A GODDAMN CHILDREN'S COMIC, WHY?!), and so on.

You mis spelled Shadows name, its Shadow not Sally who is a mary sue.

Seriously the Sally is a mary sue nonsense is old and crap.

This franchise has far worse characters than her:

Shadow

Silver

Infinate

Hell even Sonic himself is a mary sue in context

Amy Rose is a mary sue

You see I can call any character who i hate a Mary sue as well, two can play that game.

But seriously i wish that would stop, throwing the words mary sue around is really asking for trouble.

Sorry big Sally defender here, I know she isnt a character with a convoluted backstory who starred in a rather crap video game or from the future in a shitty game or a crap villain from a crap video game but come on plus you're being a big hypocrite by calling out recolors when the main continuity has its own such as Shadow and Silver

5 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

You see I can call any character who i hate a Mary sue as well, two can play that game.

Yeah, that is more or less the viewpoint and avoidance I've had for the term for quite some time.

5 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

come on plus you're being a big hypocrite by calling out recolors when the main continuity has its own such as Shadow and Silver

But...Sally's not a recolor...?