Awoo.

Minecraft Cross-Play Between Xbox 1 & Nintendo Switch

SgtBloxx

This is a really big surprise to me. Nintendo is known to be more closed up from Microsoft and Sony. Suddenly, Nintendo and Microsoft agree to enable cross-play of Minecraft between Nintendo Switch and Xbox 1. The thing is, PS4 isn't in it (unfortunately for me, I only have a PS4). It's been speculated that this is to fire shots at Sony for it insisting on selective cross-play of Fortnite (not that I care about the game), but I'm not really sure. What do you think?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thrippa

• Blue Wisp

• MetalSkulkBane

• SgtBloxx

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it, it isn't just Fortnite - Sony doesn't do cross play of any sort with other consoles (mostly meaning Xbox).  Some games have PC/PS4 crossplay (or so I've heard on the NMS boards; I don't do much online gaming) but Sony won't cross with Xbox.  So, MS and Nintendo are using this to their advantage. 

Says a lot when Nintendo, the company that for decades has been the most closed and "antisocial" company of the big three has crossplay with Microsoft and Sony still doesn't want anything to do with it.

Great job on Microsoft and Nintendo. Since Microsoft owns Mojang this is the first case of first party crossplay from what I remember. Stuff like Rocket League had had crossplay for a while now.

Hell, seeing this makes me question Sony more. After Microsoft's backwards compatibility push and Nintendo's innovation of the Switch+accepting crossplay, Sony is the odd one out despite the one being ahead this console generation.

Can you even call it a console generation anymore? Does the Switch count as current gen or next gen?

Gaming market is stupid.

That's nice.

Now tell me that they let Banjo into Smash or I don't care.

The dumbest thing is that not only does the PS4 not allow crossplay, but if you migrate any of your accounts to it (say your Fortnite account for example) it's a one way trip. You can't get them off the PS4.