Awoo.

One Thing I noticed about the Sonic games

marcster1994

I don't think Mario surpassed Sonic as far as music is concerned. Not many videogames can claim that one either.

If i would bring my taste or my opinion into this discussion i would say the same thing.

Im talking about effort on making something extraordinary. dont really know how to explain this, but also my english isnt that well to do that :P

Everything fits so well to the themes of the stage.

Edit: I mean just listen to this piano.

I mean you got to have great sence of music to make somthing like this. In game its even more nice. It adds to the experience your having

Edit 2: Another video where you see them making the music live

Edited by Jaouad

And numerous songs from the epic Sonic Advance 3 soundtrack. God I would actually pay money just to find out which ones she composed. =( I want to wish that she did Chaos Angel, but often I get fooled by Kenichi Tokoi who sometimes does a similar kind of sad/epic sound in his songs, so it could have been him.

Oh man, if only they would just REMASTER that soundtrack and release it!!! I can't listen to 8-bit music. I've tried.... it's not for me. But practically every track was amazing. Sunset Hill, Ocean Base, Chaos Angel, Twinkle Snow (I actually like it more than Chaos Angel), Cyber Track. They're all so great.

I don't think Mario surpassed Sonic as far as music is concerned. Not many videogames can claim that one either.

Wrong.

479075-supermariogalaxyost2_super.jpg

Otherwise yes, but that game's soundtrack was absolutely magnificent, best game soundtrack ever.

This is what i call effort on making something unique

this is just based on my taste and opinion though.

Edited by Jaouad

I really liked the Soundtrack to Secret Rings over all the other current gen games. :blink:

there were some bad tracks mixed in but overall it was good.

I liked Unleashed but the lack of electric guitar solos killed it for me.

Nah i think mario surpassed sonic today.

Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack is not what I'd call memorable. It has a bunch of good compositions and whatnot, but it seems like a bit of a waste to have an orchestra record what basically amounts to a looping drumline with an almost looping bunch of violins. But when reviewed as classical music, it's a bit of a mess. Now, here was where I wanted to post a Youtube link to the full version of NiGHTS's theme, but it looks like everyone thinks that his theme is "Dreams Dreams", so I'm just going to have link you to where you can download it from.

You would really expect for orchestral music to vary a lot more over the course of it's length.

I was actually dissapointed with Unleashed's music. Here you are going thru miles of this gorgeous terrain, and the music just doesn't match up with that sort of "epic-ness". The only stage that gave me that feeling was the Rooftop Run level. Because the music is powerful enough to match the scenery and fast paced action.

For one, instead of using real drums, most of the songs have low quality drum programming. It just sounds so inferior compared to the drums they used.... in say... Emerald Coast. And that was 10 years ago. The nighttime music sounds better, but still, I wanted it to sound more powerful. More trumpets and flutes and stuff.

I don't know, maybe they didn't have enough of the resources or budget. Or maybe they were just a little burned from working so hard on Sonic 06's soundtrack.

I really doubt that the "drums" you are speaking are actually drums in either intent or execution. As for what is actually is drums, I don't hear any difference in quality between the drums from Unleashed and SA 1. Emerald Coast's drums are especially synthy, not that I think less of it for them. I actually think Sonic music should actually be a bit synthy, something the day stage music did well... mostly.

Well, I think Holoska was pretty good and fitting too, but I see where you're coming from. I will say that I think the cutscenes' music felt... cinematic. Namely, the opening.

I agree when it comes to the cut scenes that don't include Eggman. His theme and battle theme make up the majority of whatever cut scene music he's in, and I find these two track to be pretentious and and too ominous for someone like Robotnik.

Hmm, Eggman's theme. There's a nice topic of debate.

Personally, in a musical wet dream, I would love for them to combine his orchestral theme with a E.G.G.M.A.N. remix in future games. The grandeur of his orchestral theme is great, but too much for minor cut-scenes featuring him. But his vocal theme is poppy and fun, and I think, if it's possible, mixing these together could make some cool, and very fan-pleasing, results.

Incidentally though, the Unleashed opening music when Sonic's running about messing shit up? I would love that for a final stage, or perhaps a timed stage (due to exciting storyline circumstances) as actual in-level music. Not that EXACT tune obviously, but yeah, orchestral with techno backing.

I've been hoping they do a guitar + orchestra version of his '06 boss theme since I first heard it. Not sure what it'd turn out like if they spliced it with E.G.G.M.A.N., though...

I shall have to attempt this.

Anything can be adapted. But there's a difference between adapting something and just throwing two pieces of music at each other. Still, with effort, you can make anything sound good. It's difficult trying to work out in my head where everything would go, though.

In my mind, the "Dum-DUUUM, dadadada-DUM-DUUUM" orchestral theme sort of acts as a bridge between the singing in the vocal theme. The two songs don't really overlap, just get mixed around a bit. I imagine the tone and perhaps instrumentation of both halves of this possible hybrid would be fiddled with a bit to get some nice middle ground.

So after the verse it'd go into a pumping "Dum-DUUUM, dadadada-DUM-DUUUM.... Dum-DUUUM, dadadada-DUM-DUUUM.... Dum-DUUUM, dadadada-DUM-DUUUM..... Dum-DUUUM, dadadada-DUM-DUUUUUUUM... I AM THE EGGMAAAN, that is what I am... I AM THE EGGMAN... with the master plan..."

Etc, with the final dadadada-DUM-DUUUUUM at the end there sort of going up in pitch somewhat... I dunno, triumphantly? at the end rather than remaining sinister like the other three repeats of it beforehand.

It's hard to convey imaginary music when you're not a musical person yourself. XD There are prolly musical terms for everything I just described, but I dunno what they are unfortunately.

Edited by JezMM

I was actually dissapointed with Unleashed's music. Here you are going thru miles of this gorgeous terrain, and the music just doesn't match up with that sort of "epic-ness". The only stage that gave me that feeling was the Rooftop Run level. Because the music is powerful enough to match the scenery and fast paced action.

I'm all up for epic music, but I think background music should match scenery, atmosphere, and tone above everything else. That's what I think makes for a more rich environment than a soundtrack filled with just fast-paced music, and actually builds much more suspense and more adrenaline.

Sonic running through a city in his usual routine shouldn't be anywhere near as as epic as Sonic running through a city at war with Eggman. Otherwise, it's too stagnant...for me atleast.

Wrong.

No, he's right. Mario Galaxy doesn't really have anything that memorial.

Mario may have good music, but his is virtually inferior to Sonic except when it comes to his more iconic tunes. Mario can't get away that easily with having other outside genres unlike Sonic, who is more versatile in virtually every genre out there. And yes that includes Country music.

Mario may have good music, but his is virtually inferior to Sonic except when it comes to his more iconic tunes.

I disagree. I prefer Mario music as a whole far more than Sonic music.

But those are just my stylistic preferences, which only goes to show that one can't really objectively call either inferior to the other, since it's all a matter of personal taste. I will say that I find Mario music to be more melodic, sounding more like what I would traditionally consider "video game music" than Sonic's recent musical outings.

But those are just my stylistic preferences, which only goes to show that one can't really objectively call either inferior to the other, since it's all a matter of personal taste. I will say that I find Mario music to be more melodic, sounding more like what I would traditionally consider "video game music" than Sonic's recent musical outings.

While I like a lot of the Sonic music we get today...I do miss the kind of stuff we got on the Mega Drive/Genesis.

The music that plays at the end credits of the default(Non-Knuckles-lock-on version) version of Sonic 3 is beautiful.;_;

But those are just my stylistic preferences, which only goes to show that one can't really objectively call either inferior to the other, since it's all a matter of personal taste.

I guess "inferior" was the wrong word to use. But what I was really trying to say is that Sonic works well with just about every genre of music out there, whereas Mario can't match up as well with as many genres as Sonic.

Place a calm RnB tune in a calm Mario themed world and it just might raise a lot of eyebrows, but if you do that for Sonic in a calm setting of his world it wouldn't raise as many so long as it fits the setting itself. (or course there's the typical whiners who end up complaining when they know absolutely nothing about RnB, or any other music outside his taste)

I'll be glad to be wrong, but that's just the way it seems. :/

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I'm all up for epic music, but I think background music should match scenery, atmosphere, and tone above everything else. That's what I think makes for a more rich environment than a soundtrack filled with just fast-paced music, and actually builds much more suspense and more adrenaline.

That was kind of my problem. The music fits the environment yes, but that's all I see it as.

I feel like I'm being picky. The music is good, yes. I'm talking about how much power the music gives off when you're running at full speed. Like someone said several posts back, add in some electric guitars to get that blood pumping. More violins, and real drums.

I don't see how you can't see a difference between Emerald Coast's and Windmill Isle's beats, Phos. When I start up EC, the beats feel more powerful...

While I like a lot of the Sonic music we get today...I do miss the kind of stuff we got on the Mega Drive/Genesis.

The music that plays at the end credits of the default(Non-Knuckles-lock-on version) version of Sonic 3 is beautiful.;_;

extremely beautifull. What happened to the ice cap, marble garden style music. Ice cap man,,,, It just gives me tears thinking about it lol haha :P yeah there really needs to be more effort put in the soundtack.

Not like ow yeah this sounds good, put it in the game. No, it should be FANTASTIC!!!

Edited by Jaouad

That was kind of my problem. The music fits the environment yes, but that's all I see it as.

I feel like I'm being picky.

Oh, I know how you feel. I'm just sheding a little more light on it so you could see more why it's like that.

The music is good, yes. I'm talking about how much power the music gives off when you're running at full speed. Like someone said several posts back, add in some electric guitars to get that blood pumping. More violins, and real drums.

Yes, but in some places all that power can be a bad thing to the point where it ruins the atmosphere or even to the point where it doesn't belong there in the first place, and electric guitars can't fit everywhere just like a harp can't fit everywhere.

Take out the werehog in Unleashed, but keep the nighttime stages, you still have to keep in touch with the mood of the setting. Since nighttime is a much more serene time than daylight, electric guitars would probably be a bad first choice to use.

If say all hell was breaking loose at nighttime, then you can make it more intense, but still keep in mind that it's at night. With that said, you might choose a tune that has a little more power to in than a serene setting.

I not an expert with music, but I do know that when making music for a stage, you gotta keep in mind several things:

-the setting (which determines the genre)

-the atmosphere (which likely determines the style, though I'm not too sure)

-the action (which determines the other two below)

-the tone (whether or not it should be soft as a pillow or hard as a rock on the ears)

-the power (whether it should be intense or serene)

There's probably more to it, but thats as much as I know.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack is not what I'd call memorable. It has a bunch of good compositions and whatnot, but it seems like a bit of a waste to have an orchestra record what basically amounts to a looping drumline with an almost looping bunch of violins. But when reviewed as classical music, it's a bit of a mess.

Frankly, I think the Good Egg Galaxy music was quite gorgeous and had a sort of classical charm, and the simplicity of that bubbly song from Matter Splatter Galaxy and a few others was quite catchy, but beyond that, yeah, I'd have to agree.

I agree when it comes to the cut scenes that don't include Eggman. His theme and battle theme make up the majority of whatever cut scene music he's in, and I find these two track to be pretentious and and too ominous for someone like Robotnik.

Yeah, Eggman's theme isn't really well fitted to him in Unleashed. It was really recycled from 06 where it suited him better, but if they were trying to make him more like his original, cartoonish character, I'd rather that they'd have gone with something else. Edited by SuperStingray

If i would bring my taste or my opinion into this discussion i would say the same thing.

Im talking about effort on making something extraordinary. dont really know how to explain this, but also my english isnt that well to do that :P

Everything fits so well to the themes of the stage.

Edit: I mean just listen to this piano.

I mean you got to have great sence of music to make somthing like this. In game its even more nice. It adds to the experience your having

Edit 2: Another video where you see them making the music live

Not better than the majority of Sonic 06 cutscenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkWwo4SDZU

I hated that scene, but it had very good music. It's simple, it doesn't have much, but it touches the heart (mine) at least.

I liked Unleashed a lot. You put the day stages in your .mp3 player and you keep on going in the treadmill. The orchestral world theme was good. It reminded me of Skies of Arcadia and not Mario like many seem to say.

Wrong.

479075-supermariogalaxyost2_super.jpg

Otherwise yes, but that game's soundtrack was absolutely magnificent, best game soundtrack ever.

I don't think Mario Galaxy had that good music, personally. Sure an orchestra is better than synthesized, but it has to be memorable to actually work. I

Edited by redmenace

I must confess, growing up with old 2D Sonic games, I was a bit shocked by vocals tracks in the newer games I got after watching Sonic X. I rejected them for a long time. Only has it been this year I've listened to them and grown to think they're my favorite songs. I'm really open to them now and can just into them easier and enjoy them faster.

Maybe "hate" was a little strong, as it does capture Sonic's personality and philosophy, but my main issue with it is that it pushes it to the point that it just seems shallow; it tries to embody Sonic as more of an icon than a character. I think It Doesn't Matter is way better in that regard. His World says Sonic is raring, steadfast and strong and that makes him a awesome and heroic. In It Doesn't Matter says the same thing, but it only says that it just makes Sonic who he is. It's a little complicated to say, but I hope you see what I'm getting at.

One thing lyric-wise I could not appreciate in "It Doesn't Matter" is the line... "it doesn't matter who is wrong and who is right." This seems like a contradiction; Sonic fights for what is right. Sure, he gets his kicks, but injustice is the fuel that keeps him running.

One song I've downloaded and really love, but no one has mentioned, is "Dreams of an Absolution," Silver's theme. It's great, my sister loves it too. It has a dance dance revolution type style to it and feels uplifting in a unique way.

No, he's right. Mario Galaxy doesn't really have anything that memorial.

Mario may have good music, but his is virtually inferior to Sonic except when it comes to his more iconic tunes. Mario can't get away that easily with having other outside genres unlike Sonic, who is more versatile in virtually every genre out there. And yes that includes Country music.

I suppose it all goes down to one's opinion. I do usually like Sonic's music better than Mario's, but I absolutely LOVED Super Mario Galaxy's music, more than pretty much every game I've played except a few. I thought that the Gusty Garden Galaxy, Buoy Base Galaxy, Good Egg Galaxy, and Grand Finale Galaxy all sounded amazing and beautiful, some of the best music I've heard in a game.

That's just my opinion though, Sonic tracks are usually pretty great too. I really like Endless Possibilities and Live & Learn, and most of the music in Unleashed was genuinely good.

One thing lyric-wise I could not appreciate in "It Doesn't Matter" is the line... "it doesn't matter who is wrong and who is right." This seems like a contradiction; Sonic fights for what is right. Sure, he gets his kicks, but injustice is the fuel that keeps him running.

I think that line describes Sonic quite well, actually. I'm not saying he's an anti-hero, but I feel that he doesn't necessarily fight evil so good may prevail so much that he fights oppression so freedom may prevail.

I have acquired a few intriguing tunes. Take a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DjLjgZJqbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnHNJiN2EQE

This next one in particular is very epic. This is new school with old. I swear, it's one of the best things ever Sonic related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhmH0aOYFHY

I don'y know why, but this is full of an energetic vibe that seems to be missing from the new Sonic music. The grooviness of Sonic Spinball is in full effect and it rocks ultimately.