Awoo.

Sonic Forces Final DLC - What is it?

Red Hot Jack

https://steamdb.info/app/637100/dlc/

Last Update - July 5th 2018.

They have been keeping this a secret for months, I suspect it's a big update, maybe in the veins of Mania Plus, that fixes some bits of the game at least, and adds more content, maybe an extra Episode about that 0,01% of Eggman territory left. Maybe with Sonic, or another friend, like it was for Episode Shadow. Could be something nice.

I suspect they will announce it at SDCC now that a panel has been announced, as one of the "surprises".

But what do you think is it?

I don't know, they have kept it a secret for months, it could be interesting.

26 minutes ago, Drifting Jack said:

I really doubt it's going to be anything.

The game is dead and with Mania Plus due out in less than a month it's really unlikely that they would want people to suddenly go play Forces when Mania Plus is due.

At the most it's probably an in game advert for Mania. Hence episode please buy Mania.

• Thumbs Up 4

I would joke "t-shirt with sanic on it" but game beat me to the punch and missed the point.

But if they seriously want to improve things here's my demands, from small to big

Spoiler

1) Make Shadow playable in missions in tag team, bosses, etc. I saw mods that did this, it's just embarrassing.
2) More playable characters (even if they skins) or at very list Avatar costumes/species/etc
3) Add Chaos and/or Shadow boss fights
4) New Bonus Episode or at least new stage. If they want to be lazy,  destroyed Green Hills, but right this time!!!

5) Fleshing out the story, like HUB where you can talk to resistance. Shouldn't be too hard, since model are in the game, it would be mostly paying actors and writers. But we know Sonic and world building is these days, so I'm putting it last.

Considering this was also the case with Mania I do consider that there is a chance that another DLC may happen.

I would like a Super Sonic fight against Infinite.

Sonic Mania Plus... leading to Sonic Forces Plus... leading to ehm... Team Sonic Racing... ehm ehm with the "inter-regnum" of SM Adventures and IDW comics. My thought.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

I also wish you could replay the story without deleting your whole save

It's been that way since the next gen systems and it kind of sucks. You could only do it PS2 era games like Unleashed, so I don't see why Sega wants you to erase everything just to do a new game when they could just carry the concept over. At least Lego games put that into consideration.

Anyways it could be that Project Death Egg Sigma DLC which could be shown at SDCC 2018. I mean look at Crash, during Crash's SDCC panel last year they announced and released Stormy Ascent DLC for the N-Sane Trilogy. So in a way it's kind of likely it could happen. But it's not guaranteed.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Drifting Jack said:

Easier to keep a small secret than a big one. Even easier to keep a secret that isn't anything at all.

Considering most Sonic games never got much DLC and that throwing more time and money at Forces isn't a winning business strategy I wouldn't expect much from this. If it's anything at all it's probably just some new clothes.

• Thumbs Up 3

Considering how long this has been in the cooker I could see this being a new stage or two ala episode Shadow. Wouldn't expect much beyond that though.

Yeah, I feel like this is more than likely just a clothes update at most. If it was anything more significant, they would've talked about it.

Though, then again I can see where people could get their hopes up with this. It is Sega after all. The kings of poor marketing. The ones who hype up $5 DLC for 4 months but can only be bothered to show off one stage of a racer in that same time (firstly through leaks no less). Honestly, it wouldn't be too surprising if this was secretly Forces 2 at this rate.

Sarcasm aside, best course of action is to just keep your expectations low, sadly.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think this is much of anything.

I think they are moved on to the next project. Whether that be its own thing, or some type of sonic movie game. 

19 minutes ago, Thigolf said:

Just to point out, on the site this update is shown on, just type in "Sonic" and look what other games they've updated recently. 4 days ago, S&ART got an update - do you think that game will get an update, too? Sonic Lost World got an update just over a mere week ago, will they give that game extra content, multiple years after it came out with no relevance anymore? Heck, 16 days ago, they updated the Sonic Generations Demo, not even the full game, the demo, and Sonic Adventure, also sitting around on Steam with no updates for like 6 Years, updated 3 hours ago.

Of course that doesn't rule out an update or even DLC for Forces completely, but seeing how Sega seems to be basically done with Forces and this update stuff seems to happen with pretty much every single Sonic game on Steam, I really wouldn't take this as proof or a sign.

This is a good point. Could be nothing, or could be more. I admit a Super Sonic fight would be awesome but I just don't see it as DLC, then again they put Super Sonic as DLC, they are known for weird decisions.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Thigolf said:

Just to point out, on the site this update is shown on, just type in "Sonic" and look what other games they've updated recently. 4 days ago, S&ART got an update - do you think that game will get an update, too? Sonic Lost World got an update just over a mere week ago, will they give that game extra content, multiple years after it came out with no relevance anymore? Heck, 16 days ago, they updated the Sonic Generations Demo, not even the full game, the demo, and Sonic Adventure, also sitting around on Steam with no updates for like 6 Years, updated 3 hours ago.

Of course that doesn't rule out an update or even DLC for Forces completely, but seeing how Sega seems to be basically done with Forces and this update stuff seems to happen with pretty much every single Sonic game on Steam, I really wouldn't take this as proof or a sign.

I did the above too due to skepticism, but it IS worth noting that none of the other games have anything added to their DLC page like this one does, which is why I (and no-one else, presumably) shot down the OP right away with the typical expected "yeah this happens on SteamDB all the time, it doesn't mean anything".

I figured at least one game would have a non-descript, abandoned DLC slot from years back or something that looks like this one that never amounted to anything, but none do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I don't expect anything. Forces was DOA. Its over. If they release anything its a cross promotion for something else.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Mayor D said:

The game is dead and with Mania Plus due out in less than a month it's really unlikely that they would want people to suddenly go play Forces when Mania Plus is due.

At the most it's probably an in game advert for Mania. Hence episode please buy Mania.

Wasn’t that the point of having Classic Sonic in the game?

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't even know they were still working on DLC for this. That kinda makes me sad, I'd rather they just get to the next bad game then wallow further in this one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no idea what it could be, or even if there'll be anything at all.

If it IS something, I hope it's something that fixes the controls, maybe adds in some new & longer levels, and more animated cutscenes - that'd make me happy.

50 minutes ago, Razule said:

It's been like half a year. Why?

Mania Plus. 

Reminder that Forces got a vinyl LP release of its soundtrack announced a few weeks ago:

https://www.destructoid.com/sonic-forces-soundtrack-vinyl-looks-like-a-must-for-fans-509776.phtml

Its not exactly unprecedented for Forces to get a random boost in publicity or add-ons from Sega after a long and awkward silence regarding the game. I also recall stuff like a Forces themed parkour course and a Chuckie Cheese promotion for Forces after several months of weird silence regarding Forces. I'm not saying, of course, that this guarantees that this is definitely means a new DLC is in the works, but when I read things like this:

6 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

I don't expect anything. Forces was DOA. Its over. If they release anything its a cross promotion for something else.

4 hours ago, Soniman said:

I didn't even know they were still working on DLC for this. That kinda makes me sad, I'd rather they just get to the next bad game then wallow further in this one. 

14 hours ago, Mayor D said:

... its hard not to think that people aren't basing their denials on a healthy amount of skepticism, but rather what they personally would like to happen (in this case, for everybody to forget Forces, think Forces is utterly irredeemable as they do, and focus exclusively on Mania). Which isn't realistic. Can't speak for people I don't know but I sure don't think Forces is irredeemable. Even a modder pal of mine who hates Forces probably the most out of anybody I know doesn't think the game is totally irredeemable-- after all, if a BetterSADX mod is possible, then a BetterForces mod is too. Or perhaps a Forces Plus of sorts, which is even better because the developers have full access to all the source codes and such which a fan doesn't (well, provided Sega didn't do a stupid and wipe everything Forces off their computers immediately after the game came out, anyway. Not unprecedented either.).

I mean, RoL was arguably dead before arrival and is near universally agreed to be one of the worst Sonic games of all time, if not amongst one of the worst video games of all time. It still got an update after a few months to fix and make some of the issues more manageable. If RoL can get an update months after it flopped-- well, I don't see how its out of the realm of possibility for Forces to get an update months after it was confirmed to have sold strongly (which is what Sega claims, and regardless of if you believe it or not, actions like releasing an update to improve things would aid in supporting that claim and therefore may be under consideration). Likewise, I'll note that the release of Sonic Runners Adventure just sort of... happened... with no announcement. Lack of advertisement where it'd make sense to is also not unprecedented at Sega.

In general, Sega has handled advertising for Forces terribly, but I think it got just enough of a buzz and decent sales to not quite be dead on arrival. If this is indeed a sort of Forces Plus, or even just an update to fix a few issues (the latter at minimum I think is highly likely given the nature of this leak), I'd be pretty happy. Acknowledging mistakes and improving means returning to controversial games to make them better too, not trying to bury them and act like they never happened (which truthfully isn't beneficial long term-- one because it never works, people don't let this stuff stay buried for long, and two because the developers don't give people a proper sendoff to the title and so it never really gets closure. It just kinda looms over the franchise).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1