Awoo.

Sonic Forces Final DLC - What is it?

Red Hot Jack

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Actually I think it does, Sonic Force's poor promotion isn't the same thing as there being no promotion at all. If there was something that was even the slightest bit noteworthy, SEGA would have said something. Even if it's something that's barely heard at all.

And yeah, it's seriously been almost a year, and we've heard nothing. All the DLC that's gonna come out has been out for some time.

It may well be something. When I was referring to poor advertising, that included weird marketing pushes that came months between each other and then were never mentioned again.

I see no reason to think that this can't just not be another one of those weird pushes, especially with Mania Plus coming out with an opportunity to bridge the two games.

In regards to historical precedent, Sonic 2006's last DLC, Team Attack Amigo, was released only two months after the game came out, and SEGA never even bothered to release it on the US PSN store. Sonic Unleashed's last DLC, the Chun-nan pack, was released 3 months after the game launched. Sonic Lost World's Hyrule level came out five months later. Meanwhile, Sonic Forces released with day-one DLC, a Sanic t-shirt later in the same month, and the Super Sonic update barely a month after release. It has been 8 months since Sonic Forces released, and 7 months since the last piece of DLC.

I'm willing to bet Sega was considering further DLC after Episode Shadow and Super Sonic, and they may have even started work on it. But lets face it, the game wasn't a smashing success even if it wasn't an abject failure. Sales numbers are hard to find, but it's Sonic, so I'm sure it broke even. Critical reception was lukewarm at best, and while it has its staunch defenders, fan reception was extremely divisive. Then came the Super Sonic DLC debacle, which SEGA backed down on super hard. SEGA's only concern right now seems to be Mania Plus, even to the detriment of Team Sonic Racing's promotion. If SEGA and Sonic Team were to release significant Forces DLC now, they'd be striking while the iron is ice cold. Extra or improved content could gain some good will from the people who were disappointed in Forces, but Mania Plus seems to be doing a good job of making people forget Force's shortcomings as it is. Where outside of a Sonic forum would you even see people talking about Sonic Forces these days?

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to DLC for Forces, since it has very little replay value for me currently. But I think it is far too hopeful to expect anything to come out of this steam listening, outside of maybe an extra t-shirt. Unless the dlc has been complete and lying on a floor somewhere this whole time, it just doesn't make sense to me that SEGA would still be creating content for a dead game.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Actually I think it does, Sonic Force's poor promotion isn't the same thing as there being no promotion at all. If there was something that was even the slightest bit noteworthy, SEGA would have said something. Even if it's something that's barely heard at all.

And yeah, it's seriously been almost a year, and we've heard nothing. All the DLC that's gonna come out has been out for some time.

It's not totally unheard of for DLC to come out a while after the initial release. We didn't even know Mania Plus was a thing until SXSW of this year and Mania's a year old as of August.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

17 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

It's not totally unheard of for DLC to come out a while after the initial release. We didn't even know Mania Plus was a thing until SXSW of this year and Mania's a year old as of August.

Yeah, but it was the most well received Sonic game in fifteen years. Sega has said repeatedly they did Sonic Mania Plus because of the critical reception. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, does it really matter said:

Yeah, but it was the most well received Sonic game in fifteen years. Sega has said repeatedly they did Sonic Mania Plus because of the critical reception. 

Even with that in mind, it's not completely bizarre for Sega to give DLC to their less popular games, since well, even Lost World got DLC despite having more or less the same kind of general "meh" reaction that Forces did. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

15 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Even with that in mind, it's not completely bizarre for Sega to give DLC to their less popular games, since well, even Lost World got DLC despite having more or less the same kind of general "meh" reaction that Forces did. 

Okay, but it was not nearly as long as a timeframe. It was five months. It's going to be a year for Forces in a few months, we've heard nothing about it aside from speculation, and Sega has multiple other projects that are giving them far more positive feedback. Feedback that they have not seen in over a decade.

You are free to believe that there will be DLC and perhaps there will be. I just have yet to see one piece of convincing evidence and the rest seems like coming up with any excuse to justify people saying it's "fact". That DLC slot in Steam is not unique to Forces. Many, many games on Steam have such DLC slots that were never described and nothing came of them. Oh, and all were updated the same day as Forces' and these games are even older. I described one in a previous post.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, DreamSaturn said:

Yes, but this long with no word at all? You think that if there was any sort of DLC release we'd hear something.

1 minute ago, DreamSaturn said:

Yes, but this long with no word at all? You think that if there was any sort of DLC release we'd hear something.

2 hours ago, does it really matter said:

Okay, but it was not nearly as long as a timeframe. It was five months. It's going to be a year for Forces in a few months, we've heard nothing about it aside from speculation, and Sega has multiple other projects that are giving them far more positive feedback. Feedback that they have not seen in over a decade.

You are free to believe that there will be DLC and perhaps there will be. I just have yet to see one piece of convincing evidence and the rest seems like coming up with any excuse to justify people saying it's "fact". That DLC slot in Steam is not unique to Forces. Many, many games on Steam have such DLC slots that were never described and nothing came of them. Oh, and all were updated the same day as Forces' and these games are even older. I described one in a previous post.

You're neglecting the fact that Forces is Sonic's first game on the Xbox One/PS4/Switch for Sonic Team, completely new hardware that they have to work with, plus with how big it could potentially be.

38 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Mania Plus didn't exactly have tons of heads up beforehand, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone wants to hope for dlc for forces let them. The whole so many months argument does not matter to many jp companies. EDF got content months after it came out, and db xeno is still getting dlc. with one more pack left i believe

12 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

If someone wants to hope for dlc for forces let them. The whole so many months argument does not matter to many jp companies. EDF got content months after it came out, and db xeno is still getting dlc. with one more pack left i believe

And then there’s Lost World’s pc port two years after the fact. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

You're neglecting the fact that Forces is Sonic's first game on the Xbox One/PS4/Switch for Sonic Team, completely new hardware that they have to work with, plus with how big it could potentially be.

Mania Plus didn't exactly have tons of heads up beforehand, either.

With all due respect, I think you are entirely missing my point and your arguments are going around in circles. I am not saying that a Sonic Forces DLC is not gonna happen, just that any evidence poised at this point is not substantial at all in my opnion. 

Isn't Sonic Mania the first Sonic game for current gen consoles? It came before Forces and was released for Switch, Xbox One, and PS4, so I don't understand your point. Aside from that point, I don't understand how current gen hardware is any evidence. I'm not overlooking anything; I'm simply looking at aspects that could be used as concrete evidence to suggest a Sonic Forces DLC and I see none. Again, these arguments you're bringing up seem more like of an excuse than a compelling argument. Why are people saying it's been pretty much confirmed? It hasn't. They have already released quite a bit of DLC for Forces (Shadow, Super Sonic, T-Shirts) at the upfront and when it was already largely created. However, like most companies, Sega will want to follow the money and positive reception.

This brings us to Sonic Mania and Plus. You keep on saying Sonic Mania Plus was revealed out of nowhere. I still don't see how this changes my previous argument. Sonic Mania is a very unique circumstance for Sega. It's the most critically reviewed Sonic game in 15 years and some called it one of the best games of 2017. A Sonic game being called a game of the year contender. That's huge and I feel that is being understated in these discussions. Sega has said over and over again Plus was made because of fan feedback and the reception of the game. It was revealed three months ago. Plenty of time to market it and now Sega has a new racing game coming out in a few months that is building upon the positive reception of the previous one and not a word on the Forces DLC.

The best piece of evidence, which also started the whole discussion, is that Steam slot. Again, that is not a unique occurrence to Forces and has been listed for months, like many other games from years ago. 

I want to make it clear; my argument isn't that a Sonic Forces DLC is not gonna happen, and it very well could (simply because I never want to say never), my argument is that I see no substantial evidence to strongly suggest it. You can make mention of how Aaron might be lying and current gen hardware. None of it is evidence. Sonic Forces paled in comparison to Sonic Mania, as did many other titles over the last decade and longer, so yes Sonic Mania is handled in a much different light because it is critically acclaimed, the fans loved it, and wanted more and they got it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Regarding Mania Plus, it seems to me that people are overlooking the factor of it being the game's physical release.  The game had been so widely-purchased already that they had to stump up something extra to convince people to double-dip on a physical edition.  Conversely, preparing the physical edition for release might also have potentially delayed the release of any DLC, though I strongly suspect that the idea of bonus content for a belated physical edition came first.  As such, it's a completely different situation to Forces, which already had its full release.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, FFWF said:

Regarding Mania Plus, it seems to me that people are overlooking the factor of it being the game's physical release.  The game had been so widely-purchased already that they had to stump up something extra to convince people to double-dip on a physical edition.  Conversely, preparing the physical edition for release might also have potentially delayed the release of any DLC, though I strongly suspect that the idea of bonus content for a belated physical edition came first.  As such, it's a completely different situation to Forces, which already had its full release.

Games that have had full releases do suddenly get additions after the fact. Like with Street Fighter.

To be quite unambiguous in a thread which sometimes lets its hopes run away with it - no further Forces DLC has been confirmed.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Is there really a forces DLC?

What @FFWF said and I really hope not. Forces does not seems like a game to invest time and resources into.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/15/2018 at 9:22 PM, ShadowSJG said:

Is there really a forces DLC?

I don't even know if that Forces DLC even exist.

So how about that San Diego Comic Con panel? Very excited that they finally announced the last piece of Sonic Forces DLC, “Episode Decomposing Corpse.”

• Chuckle 1

6 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Well, was there any DLC, or did they say no? 

Nothing about Sonic Forces DLC was shown or mentioned according to all reporting of the event. Quelle surprise.