Awoo.

Lego Universe (2010-2012)

SgtBloxx

I first played Lego Universe around 2011, and I liked it right from the start. I thought it had a ton of potential, a game where you can fight against the Maelstrom, team up with friends, build on properties, race, and a whole lot more. It's a shame that it closed 2 years since it released (and since I couldn't play on closing day because I didn't have a subscription anymore.) I decided to start this topic up to find other people who played it before and know other's opinions on the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do actually remember this thing. I was annoyed at the subscription fees, since it was always more expensive to buy one month or so at a time, but the way I play long games is usually a pattern of [play -> get stuck or bored -> not play again for months, even years -> come back -> either beat it, or repeat], so it made it a pain. I eventually stopped playing around the time it was announced to be getting shut down, and I'm certainly not happy with the industry practice of releasing a game on life support from the start, then cutting it's servers so nobody can ever play it again, even if they payed money for it's initial release. Even if your game it shitty, the only thing barring people from playing it should be having the thing. I know there are private server emulators like Darkflame, but they haven't accepted me into their closed beta and I doubt they're going to any time soon. Either way, they still don't have a lot of the game working regardless.

I don't even really like MMOs, since they're usually grindy and full of micropayments, but I've always thought server emulators for dead ones that actually fully work were neat, since you can tweak values to make it play like a normal RPG that doesn't grind down your wallet or time (or both) just to play. If I ever bother with WoW, it'll be after something like that exists for it.

I've never been able to play Universe due to my computer basically being a toaster, even back then but I definitely heard good things about it. And hell, there was no escaping the flood of comments and news once the shutdown came rolling around in the LEGO community.

I wonder what could've happened if it was still going on to this day.

22 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

I've never been able to play Universe due to my computer basically being a toaster, even back then but I definitely heard good things about it. And hell, there was no escaping the flood of comments and news once the shutdown came rolling around in the LEGO community.

I wonder what could've happened if it was still going on to this day.

If it was still running ro this day, then one thing I would hope is that it wouldn’t become pay 2 win.

34 minutes ago, Bloxxerboy said:

If it was still running ro this day, then one thing I would hope is that it wouldn’t become pay 2 win.

Probably a little too hopeful. In an area of successful free to play mobile gaming which incorperates those practices, the drive to make things pay to win would be unavoidable to LEGO.

I mean, it's scummy but we all know how much money LEGO asks of people for their stuff at this point.