Awoo.

If Sonic Team took a break from "big" Sonic, what would you like to see?

Jambone

Little Sonic! 😃

But seriously I'd like them to give the Nights into Dreams series more love.

I'm also down for Advance 4.

• Fist Bump 1

Whatever the fuck they want.

Fuck even let them take a break from Sonic Team entirely and work with other teams on other projects.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

10 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

I think RedFox99 refers to how Amy was flanderized in Battle. 

I know, I was just messing with him on top of the reasons I gave.

10 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Then again, a well written Amy in that title would leave Cream with nothing to contribute, which I'm perfectly OK with as I was never a fan of how the redeeming aspects of Amy were taken away and given to another character. (For example, the talk Cream has with one of the robots that look like E-102 is something that sounds an awful lot like what the better written Amy from the Adventure games would had said)

And here we go.

To be honest, do they need to take a break anymore? The main motivation behind the "Sonic Team should take a break" idea is that the main development team is burnt out on Sonic, and wants to develop their own/different games instead. Most of the development team have been switched out with entirely new blood, though, while the experts are moving on to places like Nintendo or Square Enix. (at least, in terms of game design)

If they're going to be working on anything, shouldn't it be towards refining the series that they've been hired to work on in the first place? It's not like they need a vacation from the series at this point in time, exactly...

Personally I just hope they're hard at work figuring out what works for Sonic, as a new team, and that their next product could be something better than their last effort. Forces may not have been all that great, but a new team opens up a lot of opportunities for new ideas; they just have to stick with it, and hopefully improve on what can be pulled off with the tools they have right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, The Deleter said:

To be honest, do they need to take a break anymore? The main motivation behind the "Sonic Team should take a break" idea is that the main development team is burnt out on Sonic, and wants to develop their own/different games instead. Most of the development team have been switched out with entirely new blood, though, while the experts are moving on to places like Nintendo or Square Enix. (at least, in terms of game design)

If they're going to be working on anything, shouldn't it be towards refining the series that they've been hired to work on in the first place? It's not like they need a vacation from the series at this point in time, exactly...

Personally I just hope they're hard at work figuring out what works for Sonic, as a new team, and that their next product could be something better than their last effort. Forces may not have been all that great, but a new team opens up a lot of opportunities for new ideas; they just have to stick with it, and hopefully improve on what can be pulled off with the tools they have right now.

I agree with this 100% Sonic Team as we know it changes between games. There effectively is no consistent "Sonic Team", from what we've been told.

Making a 3D Sonic concept that works is going to take a lot of focus and effort, so if they need a few years to do that its understandable. Otherwise, I'd say just take seriously the challenge of re-establishing Sonic with a consistent identity across the franchise and presence on the market. 

What they have been doing outside of Mania has not been working for them. Mania is a good start and they have some momentum (pun not intended) from that but they need to do that with their big 3D titles. The way they have been designing them, needs to stop. We know the Modern games don't get reviewed that well on average and they're not selling better than the low budget Mania game, so figure out a way to do for your bigger efforts what Mania is doing for Sonic. It doesn't have to be literally the exact same thing but I'd say Mania might be a good starting point for creative inspiration and think about the important concepts of transferring that kind of Sonic-y fun into a 3D space. Everything else will follow directly from that.

Here’s the thing: at least regarding budget, I’d argue they’ve been taking a break from “big” Sonic games since Unleashed. Yeah, it’s been literally 10 years since we had a game that didn’t feel slim and budget-restricted in some way. So unless it’s the best move for Sonic’s longevity and quality, I’m really not interested in any $10-20 game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as Sonic goes, I'd love it if they continue making classic style Sonic games. Mania is just too good. How about a 2D platform racer?

As for other IP's; it's my dream that someday SEGA will make a new Monkey Ball game.

11 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Here’s the thing: at least regarding budget, I’d argue they’ve been taking a break from “big” Sonic games since Unleashed. Yeah, it’s been literally 10 years since we had a game that didn’t feel slim and budget-restricted in some way. 

Yeah, I'm been wondering about that. Sure, we've gotten orchestrated tracks since then, but the games themselves have been noticeably lowkey in comparison, with the possible slight exception of Generations.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, I'm been wondering about that. Sure, we've gotten orchestrated tracks since then, but the games themselves have been noticeably lowkey in comparison, with the possible slight exception of Generations.

Unleashed had:

- Huge levels

- Moderate (not too fast) pacing

- Collectibles and ulockables galore 

- An epic scale and scope

- Stakes that you care about

- Hub worlds with NPCs

No Sonic game since has had more than one of these things. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Unleashed had:

No Sonic game since has had more than one of these things. 

I was more or less corraborating the theory, dude.

- Huge levels

- Moderate (not too fast) pacing

Uh, a bit on the nebulous/debatable side. Might need some measures and/or elaboration.

- Stakes that you care about

Too Subjective to seriously count.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I was more or less corraborating the theory, dude.

Uh, a bit on the nebulous/debatable side. Might need some measures and/or elaboration.

Too Subjective to seriously count.

1. I know you were. 

2. Big levels: Unleashed and Lost World. Levels that generally err past the 3 minute mark for a casual playthrough. 

3. Fair enough