Awoo.

Mania Adventures and Encore Mode are separate universes (not surprised anymore)

Marco9966

Just throwing it out there but maybe it's more of an "alternate telling of the story" thing that Aaron worded badly.  Like, both stories COULD be canon, but Mania Adventures adapted the story in a way that suits the non-interactive format better, whereas in-game, the story is simpler in order to lend itself to the gameplay (and revisiting all the stages etc).

Like, let's pretend Sonic X was just a straight adaptation of the games, ignore everything the exclusive characters do (chris etc).

In the show, Sonic Adventure 2's white jungle and green forest are represented by like, 10 second scenes of Sonic and Shadow running through a generic forest before meeting, because that's the jist of the entire scene narratively.  Watching a 5 minute animation of them zipping through an intricately designed platforming level would come off as bizarre in a non-interactive medium.  Even the Sonic CD intro wouldn't be a fun "level", it's just there to look cool and convey a feeling of what Sonic does.

But neither the game nor TV show version of this scene clash with each other really.

It's possible "decide for yourself what's canon" is Aaron implying this on just a much grander scale.  Mania Adventures is a loose adaptation of Encore mode (or even just "the aftermath of Forces for Classic Sonic") that changes a bunch of details to make for a more entertaining non-interactive Sonic experience.

I hope, anyway.  In a time where Mania is one of few pieces of Sonic media that didn't clash with any previous canon particularly, it'd be kind of horrifyingly sad to have a re-release of that same game manage to put it in the same continuity snarl pit of every other recent game.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

Problem with that is that there's a fundamental difference between how Sonic X did its adaptation and how Mania Adventures does it if it's supposed to be one. Sonic X at least tries to hit some of the same story beats as the game it's adapting, Mania Adventures and Encore have nothing in common except sharing core story characters, and not even all of them at that.

I mean, the way I interpreted Encore Mode was simply as a fun extra mode that mixes things up a little. Not as this totally-canon continuation from Forces and/or Mania Adventures.

But if some of you really want some kind of "canon" interpretation of Encore Mode, then how about this?

What if Encore Mode follows on from Mania's standard ending (i.e. no Super Sonic fight leading into Forces and Mania Adventures), with the events of Encore Mode acting as a simple "what-if" scenario?

• Thumbs Up 3

30 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

I mean, the way I interpreted Encore Mode was simply as a fun extra mode that mixes things up a little. Not as this totally-canon continuation from Forces and/or Mania Adventures.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

Encore's ending involves Classic Eggman being sucked into the vortex after the end of the game, which is where people I believe think this carries on from Forces.

Personally, I think Encore's non-canon. It doesn't fit as the ending. Eggman and Heavy King were already beaten in the main game, but I guess they recovered and went for Round 2? At best, I assumed it was the "what-if" version of the main game with Mighty and Ray while Adventures was the clear next step after Forces since that clearly shows Sonic returning.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

23 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Spoilers:

Hide contents

Encore's ending involves Classic Eggman being sucked into the vortex after the end of the game, which is where people I believe think this carries on from Forces.

Personally, I think Encore's non-canon. It doesn't fit as the ending. Eggman and Heavy King were already beaten in the main game, but I guess they recovered and went for Round 2? At best, I assumed it was the "what-if" version of the main game with Mighty and Ray while Adventures was the clear next step after Forces since that clearly shows Sonic returning.

That's what I'm saying. I don't see Encore Mode as an actual continuation from Mania's true ending & Forces, but rather just an extra mode with its own self-contained plot.

If for some reason it was "following on" from anything before, though, I'd only say it follows the standard/non-canon ending. So either way, it doesn't effect Mania Adventures or Forces.

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel like its too soon to assume anything. He might be forced to say this, as until part 5 comes out, we can't be sure. 

• Thumbs Up 2

We're not even two games into this supposed Classic Universe and people are already complaining about the canon.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Okay, so, did any of you guys actually watch the stream?

Because Aaron most definitely did not "confirm" anything about seperate universes.

When someone asked which continuity was the correct one, he said something along the lines of "I don't really know. Pick whichever one you want."

Like, I kinda of figure it doesn't really matter too much unless the outcome of the story is drastically different from "We beat up Eggman again, hurray~!"

• Thumbs Up 1

No offense, but I feel that you guys are overreacting. I mean like @Dr. Detective Mike said, Aaorn didn't say that the two were AUs. Plus, even if they were, so what? How does it exactly take away from the Mania series.

On 7/14/2018 at 2:15 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Okay, so, did any of you guys actually watch the stream?

Because Aaron most definitely did not "confirm" anything about seperate universes.

When someone asked which continuity was the correct one, he said something along the lines of "I don't really know. Pick whichever one you want."

Like, I kinda of figure it doesn't really matter too much unless the outcome of the story is drastically different from "We beat up Eggman again, hurray~!"

Really? That's all he said, and people are mad over that? Seriously.. 

It doesn't even really matter which is canon.