Jump to content
Gumbit

Should Sega create a 2d minor serise like Sonic advance ?

Recommended Posts

Should Sega create a 2d minor series like Sonic advance ?

The series allows us to play different characters , with enhanced graphic and little diversity in gameplay for each character , but not completely different from Sonic gameplay .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d rather they build off Mania than Advance, seeing as Advance was basically just the Classic series with worse physics and level design. Nothing to stop them adding more characters and such to Mania’s kind of framework and they already did stuff like enhancing the graphics to 32-bit standards a la Advance, as well as differentiating the characters with movesets (which was a thing since the Classic games anyway, but even moreso with Mighty and Ray’s addition).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I’d rather they build off Mania than Advance, seeing as Advance was basically just the Classic series with worse physics and level design. Nothing to stop them adding more characters and such to Mania’s kind of framework and they already did stuff like enhancing the graphics to 32-bit standards a la Advance, as well as differentiating the characters with movesets (which was a thing since the Classic games anyway, but even moreso with Mighty and Ray’s addition).

So take Mania's physics and replace the classic characters with the modern characters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

So take Mania's physics and replace the classic characters with the modern characters!

...I’d rather they didn’t given I prefer the Classic characters and general aesthetic, but that’s neither here nor there. That and I’d rather the Modern branch of the series focus on 3D instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love another Modern 2D side series. I miss the Advance and Rush era of games. If the 3D games wants to focus on solo-Sonic, then at least give us a side-series built by another company. Just keep Dimps away from the series this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a Mania series to satisfy classic fans and have an Advance series to satisfy modern fans. I don't see why we can't have both. It's the only way to have other modern characters playable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Have a Mania series to satisfy classic fans and have an Advance series to satisfy modern fans. I don't see why we can't have both. It's the only way to have other modern characters playable.

As much as I would like to see 21st century characters in a classic style game, this is... just not true in any sense of the word. Even if we're just talking in terms of likelihood, this is even less likely to happen than having them playable in the main games and I'm pretty sure you know that too.

It honestly tires the hell out of me that people believe "having multiple playable characters" is somehow a matter of mutual exclusivity between 2D and 3D games all of a sudden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd worry that having a Classic 2D line, a Modern 3D (but actually mostly 2D) line, and a Modern 2D line (plus occasional spinoffs) might be oversaturating things. Platformers aren't as popular as they used to be and Sonic isn't as popular as he used to be; would enough people really be buying all of this to make it worthwhile? And I'd definitely prioritize more games like Mania and attempts to make 3D Sonic work over Modern dimension 2D games just to try to get more of those characters playable or whatever.

You'd also have to find developers that could make a decent 2D Sonic game. Sonic Team sucks, Dimps' quality took a nosedive, and the handheld Boom games weren't exactly well received, and I'm not sure who they'd reach out to next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather keep the minor 2D serie for Classic Sonic now. Or else, they would need something to really differenciate the two series (and more than just "2.5D"). I would be for having three mainline Sonic series (two Modern and a Classic), but it would need something to differenciate itself, because I don't think that people would buy nearly similar Modern and Classic title.

Personally, I don't really care too much about the gameplay as long as it's decent enough if the rest is engaging enough (for a minor game, tbh even the Boom Fire and Ice gameplay would be enough for me (if made a bit more near the mainline gameplay though) if the rest of the game have enough content and fun to make me want to play more of it). What would be the most important for a minor Modern title for me would be to have a small fun story. Not necessarily an high-skate story, but more a story where the character are written well enough to please to people who want them.

But gameplay-wise, I would really be interested (especially if the mainline big Sonic serie keep some kind of boost-gameplay) to see what it could become if they tried to improve the Lost World gameplay and added to it Advance/Classic-style multi-character (by that : having the same core but different power).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

I'd worry that having a Classic 2D line, a Modern 3D (but actually mostly 2D) line, and a Modern 2D line (plus occasional spinoffs) might be oversaturating things. Platformers aren't as popular as they used to be and Sonic isn't as popular as he used to be; would enough people really be buying all of this to make it worthwhile? And I'd definitely prioritize more games like Mania and attempts to make 3D Sonic work over Modern dimension 2D games just to try to get more of those characters playable or whatever.

You'd also have to find developers that could make a decent 2D Sonic game. Sonic Team sucks, Dimps' quality took a nosedive, and the handheld Boom games weren't exactly well received, and I'm not sure who they'd reach out to next.

Just have the same team as mania, but use the Advance esthetics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I'd rather have the Mania team work on more Mania-like games.

But it's if it's the same physics and gameplay why would it matter if we have modern sprites and more playable characters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The opening post doesn't specify whether the proposed new 2D line should be Classic or Modern, just that it should be 2D, to which I say: Absolutely.  Sonic has great 2D roots and those are still its strongest days, so Sega should be attempting to capitalise on this gameplay the best they can.  Attempting to integrate it into the 3D series has been overall patchy at best, so a 2D line and a 3D line make the most sense.

As to whether it should be Classic or Modern, to be honest, I think taking the Classic aesthetics but ditching the nonsense of multi-world multi-universe in favour of a mixed setting which can use whatever selection of characters is available would be best.  Well, I'd apply that same consideration to the 3D line, honestly.  Reboot the aesthetics and narrative style to be more cartoony, redesign all the characters to suit (some more, some less), and proceed with the best of both worlds.  Obviously, though, that would take a lot of talent to pull off and it's not clear that that talent exists, much less the insight to see that unification is a better idea than endless division, so just moving on with a Mania follow-up would be best for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

But it's if it's the same physics and gameplay why would it matter if we have modern sprites and more playable characters?

Because I prefer the classic aesthetics, and if it's pushed in a more Modern or Advance-y direction it probably won't have quite the same gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should have:

-Modern 2D games set in the present.

-Classic 2D games set in the past.

I hate having 3 parallel worlds (at least) in the same canon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't really have "three parallel world", but two canon (Modern and Classic, with sometimes crossover), one having two world. And TBH having a classic separate serie give them more creative freedom to what they can make with the universe, without having to affect the Modern world. It makes it more easier to have the two sub-franchise without having to caring too much about continuity.

19 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

But it's if it's the same physics and gameplay why would it matter if we have modern sprites and more playable characters?

Because some people also want Classic-style game ? And because the Mania team is composed of many fan of the classic series, and certainly will have more fun working on it ? (not to mention that the Advance series have a way less cult following than the Classic series, so basing the 2D series on Advance don't really makes as much sense as a "Mania" serie) And it would not even please many Modern fan that want 3D games, and games with more story.

11 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Well, I'd apply that same consideration to the 3D line, honestly.  Reboot the aesthetics and narrative style to be more cartoony, redesign all the characters to suit (some more, some less), and proceed with the best of both worlds.  Obviously, though, that would take a lot of talent to pull off and it's not clear that that talent exists, much less the insight to see that unification is a better idea than endless division, so just moving on with a Mania follow-up would be best for now. 

I will be a bit "xkcd 927" here ( https://xkcd.com/927/ ) : it would only create more division imo. Many classic fan would say it's awfull, many Modern fan would says it's awfull, and it would just create one more style and one more division. I don't really believe in the "make a reboot" solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a fair criticism, though I would say that as I envisage it it's not much more than they've tried to do already with games like Unleashed and Colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest drawback to me would be what system said game would be released on. The Advance and Rush series were well received critically, but both existed to allow Sonic to have a presence on a handheld system from Nintendo (or others if we want to talk Sonic Rivals and Sonic N for example). The 2-D platformer has made a resurgence in popularity, so having a 2-D series on major consoles like the Switch or the PS4 makes sense, but that's what Mania is for and it clearly was well received. So using more Classic Sonic retro games makes sense for that market. You'd need another handheld market I think to justify another spin-off line. Now, it is possible new hardware will come out to justify this, but until that time there's really no reason for it to exist, not when new games for the 3DS are becoming scarce.

I do think there's value in developing new titles for a handheld over the Colors DS, Generations 3DS approach of repurposing the current main series game or simply porting Mania and Mania 2 for a handheld though. Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush stood out because they had new opportunities and ideas to offer like introducing Cream and Blaze or the boost system. I'd rather see something completely new than a rehash of something I would already be paying attention to elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought that Sonic Team could've made a 2.5D Sonic game with Runners' Style. Sonic Runners, despite being a mobile game was fun and the art style was neat as well imo. 

Honestly, I wish they used some stuff from Runners and mixed it with some of the Advance series' mechanics to make something. Sadly, it seems that they probably won't revisit Runners' style anytime soon, which is a shame since imo, the game's style had some potential to be improved and used in a future game. As I've mentioned before, they could use some stuff from the game along with the advance series' mechanics to make something new. Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I prefer the 3D games I wouldn't mind 2D games like Advance and Rush, provided:

1. I can play as at least 2 other characters that aren't Sonic

2. Absolutely no classic pandering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If handed exclusively to the Mania team and keeping the same general look and feel of Mania, while also cutting out the 2D from Modern's games I guess it could work.

After Sonic Forces I don't trust Sonic Team at all to make a 2D game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 15, 2018 at 6:06 AM, Tracker_TD said:

I’d rather they build off Mania than Advance, seeing as Advance was basically just the Classic series with worse physics and level design. Nothing to stop them adding more characters and such to Mania’s kind of framework and they already did stuff like enhancing the graphics to 32-bit standards a la Advance, as well as differentiating the characters with movesets (which was a thing since the Classic games anyway, but even moreso with Mighty and Ray’s addition).

Personally I think that there can be a 2-D game using the modern cast that fixes both physics and level design. However, when it comes to character variety, I prefer modern, especially after the insipid cast from Mania (five characters that with exception of Tails, kind of looked the same: mammals with gloves and shoes... not to mention played essentially the same, which is a shame since in 2001/2002 the franchise had Amy doing things differently and all of a sudden the chicken'd out on the idea that characters can actually be playable without the need of being copy-paste clones of Sonic's basic gameplay which I criticized ever since Advance 2)

Neither do I think that aesthetics are that much of a deal breaker when the modern cast can also adopt more charming proportions (Runners come to mind), as well as featuring more pleasant to look versions of certain classic characters such as the Chaotix or more unique ones like Lord Big. In terms of tone, just ditch the bloody DBZ/FF crap, which in some titles they had actually done before and go with a more fantasy-like, care-free and fun atmosphere.

Frankly, I don't think Classic Sonic has much to offer for 2-D games, especially when the first thing they did with Mania was playing it painfully safe and by the books. I'd rather having something that for once moves forward both on game mechanics (like the tag team concept from Advance 3 for how it allows to have tons of options using a relatively small cast) as well as evolving the concept of playable characters into something more unique that offer genuine replay incentive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Personally I think that there can be a 2-D game using the modern cast that fixes both physics and level design. However, when it comes to character variety, I prefer modern, especially after the insipid cast from Mania (five characters that with exception of Tails, kind of looked the same: mammals with gloves and shoes... not to mention played essentially the same, which is a shame since in 2001/2002 the franchise had Amy doing things differently and all of a sudden the chicken'd out on the idea that characters can actually be playable without the need of being copy-paste clones of Sonic's basic gameplay which I criticized ever since Advance 2)

Neither do I think that aesthetics are that much of a deal breaker when the modern cast can also adopt more charming proportions (Runners come to mind), as well as featuring more pleasant to look versions of certain classic characters such as the Chaotix or more unique ones like Lord Big. In terms of tone, just ditch the bloody DBZ/FF crap, which in some titles they had actually done before and go with a more fantasy-like, care-free and fun atmosphere.

Frankly, I don't think Classic Sonic has much to offer for 2-D games, especially when the first thing they did with Mania was playing it painfully safe and by the books. I'd rather having something that for once moves forward both on game mechanics (like the tag team concept from Advance 3 for how it allows to have tons of options using a relatively small cast) as well as evolving the concept of playable characters into something more unique that offer genuine replay incentive.

Claiming Mighty and Ray are just reskins of Sonic and co gameplay wise only stands to prove the fact you haven't actually played it. I mean, of course, it's not out yet - but I have, and I can say you're pretty off the mark as such. The tag team concept in Encore Mode also stands as an interesting way to push the formula - in fact I found it akin to a more open take on something like Advance 3's team mechanics, and within much better level design to boot. That and whilst there's more variety amongst the Modern cast, quantity doesn't equal quality.

I also find pointing out their designs weird. I mean, yeah. The Sonic characters... look like Sonic characters. Consistency, innit. 

I'm all for new stuff, but moreso I'm for good stuff, which is something Mania has well over any of the Advance games. I do think there could be more Modern 2D games, but I'd rather it be something unique than a la Advance when Classic can do that better anyway. Gimme a Tails Adventure sequel that takes advantage of the extended Modern cast by having them pop up and support Tails in his quest with items, or something. I dunno, just spitballing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.