Sign in to follow this  
lulzers

What if Sonic and his friends died in the Last Story of Shadow the Hedgehog?

Same with Dr. Eggman? Like say when they face Black Doom, he transforms into Devil Doom and beats them until they can no longer move. Upon which he then has his spawn feast on them and they eventually die from blood loss.

Of course, Shadow would somehow resurrect them after the final fight. Probably with Chaos powers.

Another scenario I have is where the Last Story plays out the same, only if you take too long to beat Devil Doom, a cutscene will play in which the paralyzed heroes get slaughtered one-by-one by Black Arms. They would be similar to the game over sequences in Resident Evil 2. Only instead of blood splattering all over the screen (gotta keep Sonic's age demographic in mind), the screen flashes red as each of Sonic and his friends receive a fatal blow and let out a bloodcurdling cry of agony as they die.

I love it.  However, I don't think you're putting enough thought into the concept, as there are a lot of implications here that should, nay need to be explored in a rich, well-written world like Sonic the Hedgehog's, and in the franchise as a whole.

You have to remember, these are basically the only people Shadow has any connections with at this point.  Friends or foes, they are his tethers to the world around him, the only thing keeping him grounded rather than being consumed by the rage and confusion inside of him.  With the others gone, Shadow would likely experience a deep depression, made worse by his identity crisis.  Assuming Sonic Team were to follow through with this bold (and honestly, downright brilliant) direction for the series, any further games would have to star the remaining characters in the series, with Shadow of course being the main character.

In Shadow the Hedgehog 2, we could see Shadow's fall from grace: the use of alcohol and narcotics to numb the pain of utter detachment from the world as it exists.  The Black Arms are defeated, but at what cost?  Is a world without others to connect to worth living in?  The humans around him remind him far too much of those once lost, yet without the likes of Sonic, Rouge, and Knuckles, he's no one left to measure himself by.  As Shadow further drowns himself in sin to mask his sorrow, he finds himself needing increasingly bizarre and exotic antidotes to the poison that is guilt.  Shadow the Hedgehog 2 would put on display the deepest depravities and harshest extremes a person will go to, just to hide from that which causes them suffering.

This is where Charmy the Bee comes in.  If you'll remember, one of the many sublime character moments from Shadow the Hedgehog was Charmy's idolization of Shadow.  He, a young boy with aspirations of heroism, sees Shadow as the pinnacle of masculinity and coolness.  One day, as Shadow awakes among a sea of spent needles, empty bottles, and strange women, he, by happenstance, sees the number for the Chaotix Detective Agency in an open phone book on the floor.  The word, "Chaotix", reminds him of his days playing cat and mouse with others of his kind, playing his part in the Saturday Morning Illusion that was his life before it was all violently ripped from him.  Should he risk trying to reconnect, thus opening his defunct, blackened heart to be shattered yet again?  Or should he continue his cycle of self-destruction until the icy black hand of Death takes him to what would hopefully be final peace?

Shadow weighs the fragile hope in his heart against the crushing agony of losing everything a third time, at which point he is at his most relatable, basic state.  We have all been reduced to nothing.  We have all been given the opportunity to begin rebuilding and risk destruction, and considered remaining as nothing.  We have all been at that point where you either decide to continue down the path you're walking, or start walking a new one.  This, right here, is what will define not only Shadow the Hedgehog 2, but redefine video game storytelling as a whole.

I applaud you, lulzers, for being brave enough to present this idea in a world where simplicity and ease rule all.  Others may call your idea grim, or unnecessary, or even (God-forbid) edgy, but I will call it what it is: the seed of an incredible work of art.

11 minutes ago, Jambone said:

I love it.  However, I don't think you're putting enough thought into the concept, as there are a lot of implications here that should, nay need to be explored in a rich, well-written world like Sonic the Hedgehog's, and in the franchise as a whole.

You have to remember, these are basically the only people Shadow has any connections with at this point.  Friends or foes, they are his tethers to the world around him, the only thing keeping him grounded rather than being consumed by the rage and confusion inside of him.  With the others gone, Shadow would likely experience a deep depression, made worse by his identity crisis.  Assuming Sonic Team were to follow through with this bold (and honestly, downright brilliant) direction for the series, any further games would have to star the remaining characters in the series, with Shadow of course being the main character.

In Shadow the Hedgehog 2, we could see Shadow's fall from grace: the use of alcohol and narcotics to numb the pain of utter detachment from the world as it exists.  The Black Arms are defeated, but at what cost?  Is a world without others to connect to worth living in?  The humans around him remind him far too much of those once lost, yet without the likes of Sonic, Rouge, and Knuckles, he's no one left to measure himself by.  As Shadow further drowns himself in sin to mask his sorrow, he finds himself needing increasingly bizarre and exotic antidotes to the poison that is guilt.  Shadow the Hedgehog 2 would put on display the deepest depravities and harshest extremes a person will go to, just to hide from that which causes them suffering.

This is where Charmy the Bee comes in.  If you'll remember, one of the many sublime character moments from Shadow the Hedgehog was Charmy's idolization of Shadow.  He, a young boy with aspirations of heroism, sees Shadow as the pinnacle of masculinity and coolness.  One day, as Shadow awakes among a sea of spent needles, empty bottles, and strange women, he, by happenstance, sees the number for the Chaotix Detective Agency in an open phone book on the floor.  The word, "Chaotix", reminds him of his days playing cat and mouse with others of his kind, playing his part in the Saturday Morning Illusion that was his life before it was all violently ripped from him.  Should he risk trying to reconnect, thus opening his defunct, blackened heart to be shattered yet again?  Or should he continue his cycle of self-destruction until the icy black hand of Death takes him to what would hopefully be final peace?

Shadow weighs the fragile hope in his heart against the crushing agony of losing everything a third time, at which point he is at his most relatable, basic state.  We have all been reduced to nothing.  We have all been given the opportunity to begin rebuilding and risk destruction, and considered remaining as nothing.  We have all been at that point where you either decide to continue down the path you're walking, or start walking a new one.  This, right here, is what will define not only Shadow the Hedgehog 2, but redefine video game storytelling as a whole.

I applaud you, lulzers, for being brave enough to present this idea in a world where simplicity and ease rule all.  Others may call your idea grim, or unnecessary, or even (God-forbid) edgy, but I will call it what it is: the seed of an incredible work of art.

Cool idea, bro. But Shadow resurrects Sonic and the others after defeating Black Doom.

Just now, lulzers said:

You DID notice that I stated that Shadow would resurrect the others after defeating Black Doom, right?

I was referring to your second idea, more specifically.  Where everyone is killed during the final boss.

Just now, Jambone said:

I was referring to your second idea, more specifically.  Where everyone is killed during the final boss.

Eh, that's more or less a bad ending type of deal. The canon ending would still be the same as in the Last Story.

We’d finally be free. 

Anyway, it’s not the most random idea but I think the way you want it is a bit... explicit. SA2 had the flash to white or whatever if you take too long and it led to raised stakes - maybe just do the same for Devil Doom but without them being picked off one by one, just the implication you were too slow to save them. Other than that it just sounds kinda grim for the sake of being grim. 

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well that sounds even more tasteless and edgy than the rest of the game. What would the point even be?

To be tasteless and edgy.

I have to ask @lulzers (what a name), are you actually serious? Like, honestly? For real? Because this is just so laughably ridiculous.