Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing: Cool Edge Gameplay @ Comic Con 2018

Sonictrainer

Well if this is Cool Edge, neat I guess? Was kinda hoping for something like Dragon Road, Jungle Joyride, or Eggmanland as a potential second Unleashed stage, but that’s a decent choice too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Definitely the Unleashed stage with the least character, but I guess at least it's not another Generations/Forces level.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Jambone said:

Definitely the Unleashed stage with the least character, but I guess at least it's not another Generations/Forces level.

No joke though, I wouldn’t mind seeing Speed Highway return. That stage just screams racing track.(Though so would Twinkle Park...)

• Thumbs Up 2

Did we get confirmation that it's actually Cool Edge? There's a small chance that it could be Ice Cap, or even Frozen Factory.

Regardless, all we got is like 10 seconds of gameplay. Never change with your pointless teasers, Sega...

I quite like this so far. The design is solid, the textures and such are good...

But I am questioning if its got anything to do with Holoska. I know that Frozen Factory and Ice Cap had the ice theme too.

2 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Did we get confirmation that it's actually Cool Edge? There's a small chance that it could be Ice Cap, or even Frozen Factory.

Actually, no:

But I'm fine with whatever they call it. It's been too long since we've had a good ice Zone. (Press Garden notwithstanding)

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks just like Cool Edge though, almost like they are using the exact textures from Unleashed and polished them up. Something I can totally imagine them doing with how much this looks like a lazy, uninspired budget project.

I doubt it's Cool Edge because we already have Rooftop Run from Unleashed. So...

Maybe it's just the fact I've been playing Plus recently and so have been playing a quality Sonic product, but Team Sonic Racing looks pretty awful. At least compared to both All Stars racing games. I'm barely even interested in playing it when it comes out, because I have Transformed now and that looks way better.

That could be literally just about any ice stage honestly. There's no distinguishing factors in that footage.

I hope it's Cool Edge though because every level from Unleashed deserves a spot imo.

maybe they can save this game's poor visual showing...

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

The car is froggy.

Oh my.

I'm trying to think of a joke about Big riding Froggy, but I can't think of one.

Cool Edge is disappointing. Yet another HD-era stage. It's just boring. I mean, it's what I expected, but at least show some DC-era stuff, if SEGA/Sonic Team is so insistent on randomly keeping Classic stuff separate.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks exactly like Cool Edge though, even the textures look identical. 

It looks nothing like Frozen Factory, it doesn't look like Lost World in art style at all, and the Planet Wisp course had some Lost World influences in so it's safe to assume they would make the stage look authentic if they did use Frozen Factory. This course is far more realistic and resembles the polar caps as Cool Edge does.

It's unlikely to be Ice Cap, it doesn't look like the Adventure iteration because it resembles polar caps more than the ice cavern vibe that Adventure's Ice Cap went for. Ditto for Sonic 3's Ice Cap (which would also be an odd choice due to the music problems and the fact that iteration has never been seen since).

If they’re mainly picking from modern games, I kinda hope we get a 06 stage like Kingdom valley or Aquatic Base as those two were imo actually pretty unique and interesting concepts to work with. In a race formula, can’t say I wouldn’t find that all the more unique. Driving through a old crumbling castle that perhaps alters its design due to that. 

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Disappointed by the lack of Green Hill so far. If it's not in this game I don't think I'll buy it, because really that's all I look for in a Sonic game. More Green Hill.

I was personally hoping for both Green Hill and Encore Green Hill, but I guess my desires will never be met!

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

If they’re mainly picking from modern games, I kinda hope we get a 06 stage like Kingdom valley or Aquatic Base as those two were imo actually pretty unique and interesting concepts to work with. In a race formula, can’t say I wouldn’t find that all the more unique. Driving through a old crumbling castle that perhaps alters its design due to that. 

Speaking of 06, I'd have preferred White Acropolis over Cool Edge.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I was personally hoping for both Green Hill and Encore Green Hill, but I guess my desires will never be met!

If I didn't get Sand Hill Zone, my disappointment would be immeasurable and my day ruined.

Holoska, huh...? Odd choice, with how devoid of personality the zone is. I would have expected and liked to see Ice Cap Zone, but SEGA is still iffy about Sonic 3 stuff.

42 minutes ago, Plasme said:

It looks just like Cool Edge though, almost like they are using the exact textures from Unleashed and polished them up. Something I can totally imagine them doing with how much this looks like a lazy, uninspired budget project.

You mean the texture that is literally just white with a bunch of bump-mapping to make it look like snow?  As mentioned, Cool Edge didn't really have much character to it.  If they had confirmed this as being Ice Cap from Sonic 3, I'd still be like "yep, looks like Ice Cap".  If they said it was Blizzard Peaks from Sonic Rush Adventure I'd again have thought it an odd choice but accepted that this is how they've translated it to 3D (at least in a small area).

Even the ice road textures don't really look like the slippy floors in Cool Edge, since those had a fairly realistic look whereas these play up the white streaks for a much more cartooney style, ala Planet Wisp Colours vs Planet Wisp TSR.  But again in both the realistic and cartooney contexts these are still very standard ice textures.

All of this said, if it IS Cool Edge - while more Unleashed representation is fine by me, Cool Edge is definitely the most uninteresting choice they could've gone with.

I know it'd be sacriligious to give such fanservice to the classic Sonic sequel game from "the before times", but if I had to pick what would probably be the most visually interesting snow level to make a track of, it'd have to be White Park from Sonic 4.  You've got avalanches, roller coasters, water caverns, and if we delve into the background - forests, merry-go-rounds and a castle too (which I personally always interpreted as being like "the hotel" for the theme park).

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

39 minutes ago, Plasme said:

You cannot tell any of this from 10 seconds of off screen footage.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

You cannot tell any of this from 10 seconds of off screen footage.

You don't need more than ten seconds of footage to tell apart Cool Edge (ice themed level that resembles the polar caps) from Ice Cap (a snow cavern that doesn't feature ice as heavily) and Frozen Factory (a far more cartoony and less realistic aesthetic). The textures looks identical (the ice floor, the snow walls, the large icicle shapes) to Cool Edge even if the footage is poor and there isn't much footage to go off, even the lighting looks very similar, as if they are trying to emulate the stage (because it is Cool Edge).