Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing: Cool Edge Gameplay @ Comic Con 2018

Sonictrainer

6 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I know it'd be sacriligious to give such fanservice to the classic Sonic sequel game from "the before times", but if I had to pick what would probably be the most visually interesting snow level to make a track of, it'd have to be White Park from Sonic 4.  You've got avalanches, roller coasters, water caverns, and if we delve into the background - forests, merry-go-rounds and a castle too (which I personally always interpreted as being like "the hotel" for the theme park).

I was actually about to say this lol. The whole snow+roller coaster theme sounds so good in a racer

18 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I know it'd be sacriligious to give such fanservice to the classic Sonic sequel game from "the before times", but if I had to pick what would probably be the most visually interesting snow level to make a track of, it'd have to be White Park from Sonic 4.  You've got avalanches, roller coasters, water caverns, and if we delve into the background - forests, merry-go-rounds and a castle too (which I personally always interpreted as being like "the hotel" for the theme park).

After mulling it over, I immediately thought of White Park as a track option, and I'm quite happy to see I'm not alone in that. For everything Sonic 4 might have failed at, Episode 2 had some interesting ideas in it. There is much you can do with what is a snow / carnival fusion!

Though, with the reception of Sonic 4, we're unfortunately not going to see such stages ever again.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Plasme said:

You don't need more than ten seconds of footage to tell apart Cool Edge (ice themed level that resembles the polar caps) from Ice Cap (a snow cavern that doesn't feature ice as heavily) and Frozen Factory (a far more cartoony and less realistic aesthetic). The textures looks identical (the ice floor, the snow walls, the large icicle shapes) to Cool Edge even if the footage is poor and there isn't much footage to go off, even the lighting looks very similar, as if they are trying to emulate the stage (because it is Cool Edge).

I actually rewatched a playthrough of Cool Edge to remind myself that it does actually have a few distinct bits of personality to it:

vabAR1.png

Most ice pillars are made out of stacked up blocks like this, not the singular shapes seen in the TSR footage.  (There are some singular shapes in the stage scenery, but they're still coloured snow white like this, not ice textured like TSR's).

QsmMR7.png

Smaller, breakable ice objects come in a few, character-filled varieties: tree, reindeer and igloo (swastika optional).

KYthJ1.png

And of course these highly destructible friends. Note also the rather dark ice texture used for the majority of the stage, not the bright blue one TSR uses.

uOjv6k.png

And most importantly, dancing penguins, obviously.

The 10 seconds we've seen lack all of Cool Edge's distinctive features.  It may well be a very non-descript part of a track that is otherwise brimming with Cool Edge references, or it could be a super shitty reproduction of Cool Edge that lacks the original stage's distinct decorations.

But at this point in time, it could just as well be a non-descript part of a track that is otherwise brimming with Ice Cap references, or it could be a super shitty reproduction of Ice Cap that lacks the original stage's distinct decorations.

(Or it could be just a new, general ice themed track.)

Literally the only distinct thing I can see is just before the footage cuts out we see some kind of bright orange/wooden structure come into view seemingly hanging from the terrain above?  Which is definitely something that doesn't ring any bells for me regarding any existing ice stage (but of course Rooftop Run never had glass racetracks in the sky either so yeah, could be something added to Cool Edge, could not be).

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm fine with Cool Edge if it means a remix of one of my favorite Sonic songs

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Cool Edge (or whatever it turns out to be) is nice, but I'm disappointed by the lack of Green Hill so far. If it's not in this game I don't think I'll buy it, because really that's all I look for in a Sonic game. More Green Hill.

Personally I think we need Seaside Hill, that zone is never used. 

• Promotion 3
  • Chuckle 1

please be holoska

please be holoska

please be holoska

please be holoska

please be holoska

please be holoska

please be holoska

please be holoska

please be holoska

• Thumbs Up 1

If it is cool edge, I kinda hope it’s the night version. That’d be a trippy remix hearing it more energized and blood pumping

While I know people don't enjoy stages coming back from previous games,I wouldn't mind Kingdom Valley from 06 or Metropolis from Forces.

28 minutes ago, DiamondX said:

While I know people don't enjoy stages coming back from previous games,I wouldn't mind Kingdom Valley from 06 or Metropolis from Forces.

Make it Metropolis being warped by the Phantom Ruby to change the track up a bit now and then, and I'm in.

I hope it's not Cool Edge honestly, I want it to be a completely new stage. Didn't they say Cool Edge was also in ASR immediately when people saw 3 seconds of the Billy Hatcher track? 

Then again, I don't think this game reuses many assets from previous stuff, look at Planet Wisp and Rooftop Run (the bit we have seen), they are completely new, which is very exciting! I'm glad honestly. So it's possible this might be Holoska, I just prefer it to be a new track.

What bugs me about this gameplay is that Omochao seems to represent the character, instead of all the Chao, since Omochao is my least favorite. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

We'll probably get a better quality video soon.

Looking good.

It'd be such a missed opportunity not to get Eggmanland in there somewhere. Hopefully they've worn out the "Missed Opportunity" Button on Forces. I know its Sumo but someone's still probably got the Sword of Damocles hanging over their head. 

• Thumbs Up 3

If it is Holaska, I'm disapointed they didn't use the nighttime version, having a lot more expressive color palette.
I mean, you could easily make a very interesting looking level from this example:
holaska.png.74a4c52d0a57d47deeb174541d61cc61.png

Instead of the more conventional looking daytime version.
But yeah, we only saw 10 seconds of it, so maybe there's fun surprises for us waiting to make the level more interesting.
But for a 10 second clip to impress us, that didn't quite hit the mark.
But I suppose it was Big the Cat's antics we we're supposed to be paying attention to, not the level.

• Thumbs Up 4

21 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

But I suppose it was Big the Cat's antics we we're supposed to be paying attention to, not the level.

If that's the case then it's kinda stupid. They already revealed that Big the Cat will be playable, and it's not like this is the first time he's been in a Racing game.

The more orange and green platforms  or other objects at the end remind me of Frozen Factory a bit, but the absence of checkerboard tiling on the icy track suggests otherwise. It's really hard to tell what is from this tiny snippet

On one hand, to me the area seems a little reminiscent of Sonic Adventure’s Ice Cap. The cavernous environment, icy stalagmites obscuring the path, etc. I do understand there’s a lot of overlap between the Ice/Snow environments throughout the games though. That said, that kinda looks like an approaching orange/yellow ramp at the end of the clip, similar to the kind found in Adventure Ice Cap's snowboarding sequence.

On the other hand, I think the course might be one of those “extreme ends of each temperature” stages. While we’re clearly seeing an extremely cold environment, there seems to be an orangey firey glow from the right side of the screen in the first few seconds of the clip, perhaps indicating an extremely hot or volcanic environment elsewhere on the course?

It’d be cool if both these possibilities were correct and the course was simply called Angel Island or something, transitioning through Ice Cap, Lava Reef, etc. Never gonna happen, I know.  ^_^

• 8 months later...

Glad we are finally seeing some unique stage picks for a change. I am not against going back to old stages or anything. I would just like to see some more ones like this that haven't been used in a while.