Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing Comic

Marco9966

It's related to the game so I thought I'd post it here, what do you think? What would you like to see in this comic?

DigYP67XkAA0NvW.jpg

(source Tails's Channel)

• Thumbs Up 1

....Do these work? Do these kinds of comics made specifically for promoting spin-off games ever actually get consumers interested?

7 minutes ago, Balding Spider said:

....Do these work? Do these kinds of comics made specifically for promoting spin-off games ever actually get consumers interested?

According to Ian Flynn during the Archie run when they did the Olympics tie in it was the best selling issue mostly that's because it was a joint effort between SEGA, the Olympics and I think Mcdonalds. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Should be interesting, it is at least one more Sonic comic issue when at the moment there is only one Sonic comic running at the moment. Interested to see if they will try and tie this into the IDW continuity, or if it is just going to its own thing entirely.

Reading the early Archie stuff, I actually liked a lot of the Sonic game promotional tie-ins, especially when they tried to tie it into the comic continuity, even if they had to make massive leaps in logic to justify things. (There is a carnival on Angel Island suddenly and everyone goes to it, or Station Square being a super secret underground city which has a fake skylight and a dock despite the ships having nowhere to go but in a circle.)

I notice as well that apparently it is a little more expensive, since it will be $4.99 and the regular issues are $3.99? So does that mean it will have more pages than a regular issue?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

According to Ian Flynn during the Archie run when they did the Olympics tie in it was the best selling issue mostly that's because it was a joint effort between SEGA, the Olympics and I think Mcdonalds. 

Also, a lot of people believed it would be worth a bit of cash in a few years.

Ironically it ended up being one of the worst issues ever.

One of the stupidest, sure...but I can think of a lot of stuff in the #75-#159 era that made me hate myself for reading it much more than the olympics issue.

I wonder what the story will be for the comic? I didn't anticipate there being much of a story beyond "Sonic and friends race in a competition" for the game but if there is a comic, there must be some backstory to it that can be delved into in a comic.

3 hours ago, RidersDX said:

I wonder what the story will be for the comic? I didn't anticipate there being much of a story beyond "Sonic and friends race in a competition" for the game but if there is a comic, there must be some backstory to it that can be delved into in a comic.

i have a feeling the story for the game will be something along the lines of 'sonic and friends enter a racing tournament, but there's something shady going on behind the scenes.'

Sonic beating Shadow, Knuckles being Omega, Rouge beating Tails? Is this cover trying to tell us who's the favorite to win,

Every cover I see Sonic compete playfully against Shadow it feels more Sonic vs. Knuckles with Hedgehogs than a legit rivalry between two equals. Sonic looks more cocky and egotistical than Shadow when they rival each other while Shadow looks like a resentful pushover instead of his arrogant classy stoic self.

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2018 at 4:58 PM, Mayor D said:

Also, a lot of people believed it would be worth a bit of cash in a few years.

Ironically it ended up being one of the worst issues ever.

Not really. I think the one for Transformed was far worse. Mostly because they had every racer against Dr. Eggman instead of doing the far more interesting (but admittedly complicated) thing of having everyone against everyone else. Like in the actual game. No one just gangs up on a single racer like that.

Plus, the plot was that if Eggman won the race he was gonna take over the world... 

... Because that's how that works. I guess.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Did Omachoa write this?

It's like the writer wanted us to understand, but there are much better ways to make us understand how things work (Flynn did such a good job at this with the wisps and sol emeralds among other things in the IDW comics, this should show Flynn haters that they should be grateful we have Ian as the main writer!!)

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

PREVIEWS!!

Hide contents

latest?cb=20181127002020

latest?cb=20181127002042

latest?cb=20181127002052

I have mixed feelings,  is the comic only supposed to explain how the game works??

Wait, his name is seriously Dodon Pa? Over here even?

And yeah, unfortunately, it seems more likely he isn't his own thing.

Also, cheese and rice, that bizarre expository dialogue.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

It's like the writer wanted us to understand, but there are much better ways to make us understand how things work (Flynn did such a good job at this with the wisps and sol emeralds among other things in the IDW comics, this should show Flynn haters that they should be grateful we have Ian as the main writer!!)

2 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

I hope this makes people realize what precious thing we have with Ian Flynn...

Let's try to keep that stuff away in it's own little wallspaces, K?

Also, you probably aren't the best to talk about this, Marco.

"Sometimes I feel like we should call you brains instead of Tails."

(If I didn't know any better that's what Sonic Team thinks too.....would explain a lot)

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Let's try to keep that stuff away in it's own little wallspaces, K?

Also, you probably aren't the best to talk about this, Marco.

What do you mean?? 

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

What do you mean?? 

You've kinda been known to complain adamantly about the way certain things have been showcased in the series.

19 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

You've kinda been known to complain adamantly about the way certain things have been showcased in the series.

But that doesn't mean I wanna fire Flynn, I want flynn to write the best stories

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

But that doesn't mean I wanna fire Flynn, I want flynn to write the best stories

I meant in terms of the games, but sure.

1 hour ago, Earnest-Panda said:

Why does page 2 have that random black squiggle at the bottom?

I think the person who originally uploaded these images to Twitter from iBooks accidentally wrote on them with his iPad/Phone somehow. The squiggle isn't there on the iBooks store.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, his name is seriously Dodon Pa? Over here even?

Yeah, that's a little surprising. That's usually the kind of thing that'd be localized.

I know the comic's supposed to be a tie-in to the game, but they've never been this.. direct about it before, to the point of explaining mechanics. Maybe a mandate. It almost feels like they're about to say what buttons to press.

• Thumbs Up 1