Awoo.

Sonic game concepts that you think would've worked better than the final product.

Mountaindewandsprite

Whatever concept you think would've made the final games 10x better. Whether it be characters, gameplay,  level design, etc.

from what i've heard, sonic free riders was completely ruined by the xbox 360's kinect.

they should've made the game playable with traditional controllers. they should have also made the game for PS3 and wii. they could have still included kinect support as an optional mode as an extra selling point to the 360 version of the game.

Hmmm....

Sonic Forces would've really benefited from no Classic Sonic, longer. better designed levels and Modern Sonic having his controls from Generations, and Sonic Mania really should've saved by act as opposed to by Zone and had all original levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Sonic Forces would've really benefited from no Classic Sonic

This. When I first saw classic sonic in the trailer, I immediately turned off my computer, because now it's just nostalgia pandering, which makes no sense due to Sonic Mania being released the same year.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's no doubt at all that "Green Hill has been turned into a prison camp and it's storming" from that one concept art would've been way more impactful than "it's a desert now I guess".  I mean at the very least the characters could've sounded more than "mildly annoyed" at the complete obliteration of life there.

• Thumbs Up 6

7 hours ago, blueblur98 said:

from what i've heard, sonic free riders was completely ruined by the xbox 360's kinect.

they should've made the game playable with traditional controllers. they should have also made the game for PS3 and wii. they could have still included kinect support as an optional mode as an extra selling point to the 360 version of the game.

You could say the same for Secret Rings and Black Knight. If we had the option to play all these games with traditional controls, then they wouldn't be considered nearly as bad today.

But at least we can use emulators for that, while Free Riders is still in limbo.

Free Riders looks amazing from what I've seen (in terms of graphics), but there's no chance to get a re-release cause Sega are too busy ripping off Mario Kart.

On 7/23/2018 at 4:34 AM, DreamSaturn said:

Hmmm....

Sonic Forces would've really benefited from no Classic Sonic, longer. better designed levels and Modern Sonic having his controls from Generations, and Sonic Mania really should've saved by act as opposed to by Zone and had all original levels.

Sonic Mania shouldn't have been connected to forces in the first place. IMHO that ruined manias ending completely.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, FReaK said:

Sonic Mania shouldn't have been connected to forces in the first place. IMHO that ruined manias ending completely.

Definitely agreed. Mania being used as a glorified Forces advertisement ultimately really worked against it.

On 7/22/2018 at 8:49 PM, RedFox99 said:

Sonic Synergy 

Yeah. Maybe then, QNC and Lyric would've been fully realized and Perci wouldn't be so out of place and/or pointless.

On 7/23/2018 at 2:39 AM, JezMM said:

There's no doubt at all that "Green Hill has been turned into a prison camp and it's storming" from that one concept art would've been way more impactful than "it's a desert now I guess".  I mean at the very least the characters could've sounded more than "mildly annoyed" at the complete obliteration of life there.

And if the story in general was much tighter about the major developments.

Or/and if the Deadly Six proper were actually involved with that.

Looks like Forces was already hit for Classic Sonic & Green Hill Zone in this thread, but to add on, would've been nice to see some more open aspects of the 3D sections (and more 3D sections in general), as the vast majority were under the principle of just boost in a straight line. Didn't even have to be to the extent of Sonic Utopia (nor would I ever expect that), just something more to re-assert the notion that Sonic games aren't just 'gotta go fast'

The tag teams from Sonic Advance 3 is something that could had work best with some extra polish to be better integrated into the gameplay as well as level design that put the different combinations to good use (for example, some levels being best played with specific character combinations). 

Definitively a petty that this concept wasn't used more since the idea of a character picking on some of the abilities of it's companion was both amusing and allowed to increase the replay factor with just a moderate cast.

Final Fever was a cut final boss Christian Whitehead had planned for the iOS and Steam port of Sonic CD. Christian said that the boss would have been invincible. The only way you could have damaged it would be to use the time travel mechanic that is hardly ever used in any real creative way in the original game. You could then destroy parts of the boss in the past while it was being constructed, essentially changing the future. I feel that this would a far more climactic showdown with Robotnik as the original final boss was pathetic. The planned final boss would have taken the time travel mechanic that you have learned and made you have to use that knowledge to defeat the boss. The boss would also only be accessible if you got all the time stones, giving you a reason to collect them, as the original good ending was pretty disappointing and the same outcome could be achieved just by destroying all the robot generators.