Awoo.

Nostalgia Critic review of Sonic 1999 OVA

knuckles20

So this came out a day ago, and I thought it was ok. I’ve never seen the OVA myself but the whole thing was weird even for 90s anime.

My favorite jokes is the similarities shared with Mega Man and the use of the infamous Sonic Says segment.

Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Channel Awesome should go to hell for the way it treats it's staff?

Nothing wrong with this per se, just want to note that anyone who wants to discuss the controversies surrounding Channel Awesome's management can do so in this thread.

For now, though, let's keep this topic in particular focused on the review itself.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Yeah, not his best work. Can't say I agree with his final take either. The movie's not that complex, the supporting characters that he's supposedly confused by are as arche as it gets: senile oldman, President's daughter, President. I thought the OVA was pretty trim. Given how positive he was toward SatAM in the day I was expecting a more positive take focused on the action scenes.

• Thumbs Up 4

Didn't see say that he was never going to review anything Sonic ever again?

But yeah, definitely super weak even by Doug's standards. The jokes aren't terribly funny and he doesn't so much review it as summarize the plot and occasionally make a joke. Which is apparently super standard of him by the like, 6 other episodes of his show I've seen.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Didn't see say that he was never going to review anything Sonic ever again?

But yeah, definitely super weak even by Doug's standards. The jokes aren't terribly funny and he doesn't so much review it as summarize the plot and occasionally make a joke. Which is apparently super standard of him by the like, 6 other episodes of his show I've seen.

Channel Awesome contributors, both former and current, do tend to change their mind a lot.  Linkara also said he would never review a Sonic comic, but he's done multiple of those since then.  Granted, he made it a point that the reason he wouldn't do them was because he didn't have any attachment to the continuity or characterization and thus wouldn't be able to do them justice.  So him changing his mind when he's presented with a comic that isn't based in the Penders era continuity or require a firm grasp of the characters doesn't really undermine what he meant.

It's also been well over a decade since he reviewed AoStH/SatAM and made that statement. I'm more surprised he chanced upon the movie before anything else, Underground is closer to his wheelhouse.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

To his credit, he does mention that in the intro, saying he was specifically referring to the shows. He has no issue going into things blind if they're in movie form, such as Pokemon the First Movie, and Digimon the Movie.

That said, the review itself is pretty terrible so...

Yeesh. The Jokes in this are super tired. I wouldn't even say it's terrible just super bland. Plus he just starts skipping around parts of the plot in the second half. Not one of his best. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

This was pretty bad. We've all heard and made the jokes seen here countless times and the "review" itself felt incomplete. A lot was skipped over entirely and as others pointed out I think Doug was overthinking the plot a little bit. It's really basic at it's core.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Yeah, I am not too big on NC's stuff anymore, but I thought there was another infamous moment in that movie that was cut that looked like Sonic was flipping off either Metal Sonic or Robotnik? Surprised that was not acknowledged...

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok so how do you feel Bennett the Sage handled the OVA in his review in 2013?

Was he better than Doug, worse or around the same?

7 hours ago, Shiroi said:

This was pretty bad. We've all heard and made the jokes seen here countless times and the "review" itself felt incomplete. A lot was skipped over entirely and as others pointed out I think Doug was overthinking the plot a little bit. It's really basic at it's core.

It's honestly not surprising that he overthought the plot. I think he went in expecting something more complex plot wise and took a huge blow to his expectations because of that. Sonic OVA's plot isn't overly complex by any means.

But yeah. I does feel like he may of planned more, but cut out a lot for a more timely review.

4 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Yeah, I am not too big on NC's stuff anymore, but I thought there was another infamous moment in that movie that was cut that looked like Sonic was flipping off either Metal Sonic or Robotnik? Surprised that was not acknowledged...

You are on the right track, but he flipped off Metal Robotnik. A lot of comments noted the lack the scene where Sonic flips Metal Robotnik the bird. Though, the more I think about it. That scene was never brought up, possibly due to the BS with Youtube. But who knows.

• Thumbs Up 1

I laughed at the Old Man Owl voice actor part and that was it. When you know this film word for word, you can't help but notice how he skips things to try and find jokes. Not his best work. 

• Absolutely 1

4 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

but I thought there was another infamous moment in that movie that was cut that looked like Sonic was flipping off either Metal Sonic or Robotnik? Surprised that was not acknowledged...

Personally, if you don't know to look for it, that detail can be easily misread as his usual finger wag gesture. Whether you're watching the censored cut or not.

19 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

...and he doesn't so much review it as summarize the plot and occasionally make a joke. Which is apparently super standard of him by the like, 6 other episodes of his show I've seen.

Welcome to film review in the 21st century, circa YouTube.

I've always wondered why they call these things "reviews" when it's more like a roasting or lampooning of them. For all the appreciation Doug heaped on Siskel & Ebert after the latter died, I don't think they did a lot of play-by-play of every movie they talked about.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Personally, if you don't know to look for it, that detail can be easily misread as his usual finger wag gesture. Whether you're watching the censored cut or not.

True. It can be misconstrued if you don't pay attention. But it's pretty blatant and clear that he gives Metal Robotnik the middle finger. You really cannot miss it, really. No matter how brief it maybe.

59 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Welcome to film review in the 21st century, circa YouTube.

I've always wondered why they call these things "reviews" when it's more like a roasting or lampooning of them. For all the appreciation Doug heaped on Siskel & Ebert after the latter died, I don't think they did a lot of play-by-play of every movie they talked about.

To be totally fair the summary and riffs arn't the review. The actual review portion is the part at the end. Plus there's a real chance that the people watching it have either not seen what's being talked about or have and just want to see it riffed on.

3 hours ago, Ashwalking Bat said:

True. It can be misconstrued if you don't pay attention. But it's pretty blatant and clear that he gives Metal Robotnik the middle finger. You really cannot miss it, really. No matter how brief it maybe.

The middle finger was edited in the dub to look like his pointer finger anyway...

36 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The middle finger was edited in the dub to look like his pointer finger anyway...

If they could change the finger, it would've made more sense to just take it out entirely and leave his fist. It either looks like a middle finger or it is a middle finger.

Eh, Sonic's prone to doing little "I'm #1" poses I can see the logic behind editing it into one.

5 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Eh, Sonic's prone to doing little "I'm #1" poses I can see the logic behind editing it into one.

Yeah, but he's showing the back of his hand.