Awoo.

English Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car?

Bluse

The 'Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car' is an old arcade game staring Sonic the Hedgehog in the role of a police officer released in '91 in Japan.

tumblr_nwbdg8cCom1tzwbf7o1_1280.png

I've been interested in the 'Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car' recently and while researching it online I've read multiple times that there was an English version or release of the machine but I can't find any evidence of this existing anywhere; everywhere I look online it's just the Japanese version. So what I'm looking for now are leads as to whether it was made up or if its just lost media now. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bluse

• Your Vest Friend

• Mr Loopone

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as I know, the game was Japan only but was exported to other countries in Japanese. While there were plans to export SegaSonic the Hedgehog to Asian English and the US as evidence by the ROM, the game itself ended up Japanese only with only a few that left Japan still being in Japanese. It seems unlikely that there is an English version considering the nature of the ride as well as the rest of the series are Japanese only and had their been an English version, it would have been a prototype that we don't know if one exists or not. Despite Sonic Retro saying that there were Japanese and English versions, there is no evidence of the latter. No title screen, no pictures/videos of the game in English. It might have been misinformation that was spread on the Internet for years. Interestingly enough, the game itself calls it Sonic the Hedgehog Police Officer (or as the title screen puts it Hedgehog Sonic the Policeman/Officer) and probably the name that would have been used had it left Japan.

There were plans though considering that a machine in Spain the sticker says Police rather than Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car even though the rest of the game and cabinet is identical to the Japanese one:  http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=33016&view=findpost&p=871665

What would the English title even be, "Sonic's Exciting Police Car"?

I've no idea, Waku Waku is about as coherent to translate as Doki Doki.