Awoo.

Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth (November 29th japan release)

KHCast

Naoto trailers up! Gonna be interesting to see the interaction between her and Akechi. I’m sure he’s quite familiar of her

We have our first full look at some full cutscenes!

These are clearly towards the beginning. Man it’s so weird going from P5, to seeing the characters all pixelated and simplified lol. Honestly not much to go off yet, but nice nonetheless to get a look at the game proper 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Due to the nature of the game being on Nintendo 3DS, it got a spot in the Nintendo Direct for Japan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Introducing...

KAMOSHIDAMAN!!

Just a regular citizen, until trouble arises in the city, then out comes Kamoshidaman to save the day! And now, he has found a new threat within the city, the group known as the Phantom Thieves! Already having captured Queen and Noir, he's out to get the rest!

Will he ever get the Phantom Thieves and stop their reign of terror?! Or will his heart be taken?!

Kamoshidaman, now playing in cinemas!

They're playing up the cheesy superhero aspect so much, that I actually love it. Still doesn't make me love the real horrifying Kamoshida, even if this isn't actually him... And you lose two of your party members in this dungeon? Interesting choice gameplay-wise.

Wait it’s not the real one again? Or is this his same Shadow we fought in 5? Cause he seems to already know of the phantom thieves and has a personal grudge for them

Spoiler

Though I guess it wouldn’t make sense for it to be his shadow from 5, given his shadow after his palace was destroyed is in the depths of mementos in prison...

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Wait it’s not the real one again? Or is this his same Shadow we fought in 5? Cause he seems to already know of the phantom thieves and has a personal grudge for them

Reveal hidden contents

Though I guess it wouldn’t make sense for it to be his shadow from 5, given his shadow after his palace was destroyed is in the depths of mementos in prison...

There's a film with Aegis as a character seen in one of the trailers, despite her also being a party member, so I'm willing to bet this Kamoshidaman is unique to whatever this game is doing, and that him being based off the real Kamoshida will be explained.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Now Playing!

In a world of perfect uniformity, a society of robots where no one stands out, this is the sad story of a robot who dares to be an individual. Will they ever come back to uniformity? Or will they be stuck to the terrible fate of having their own unique thoughts?

A.I.G.I.S, in cinemas now. The ending will make you cry!

I see, a commentary on Japanese society? Wouldn't be the first time Persona has done that. And that silhouette, that voice... Only one person it could be, that rat bastard! This would seemingly be the dungeon where you meet the P3 cast, alongside the P3P female protagonist.

I have an inkling that they might be giving you the P3P female protagonist much earlier than that; there've been a few animated clips of her in the first dungeon, and there was a statement somewhere that she was very important to the story, so I've been imagining that she would show up earlier than the rest of the Persona 3 cast.

It's interesting how far apart they're delivering the party members; in Q, the alternative cast showed up at the end of the first dungeon, but here they just have so many more characters to manage that it's only practical to string it out a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Western release confirmed for June 4th.  Premium edition confirmed, English dub deconfirmed.

Regarding the lack of an English voice track, an Atlus representative provided the following statement to IGN: "Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth’s localized release will be available exclusively on the Nintendo 3DS with a Japanese voice track and English subtitles. There are no plans to add an English dub to the game at this time."

Well that's conflicting. On the one hand, skipping over one localization task means the game can be released sooner...on the other hand....it's not going to feel like a Persona game without the familiar voices. If you choose to play the games with the Japanese audio, it wont make a difference, but....uh...I'm a little bummed about this.

• Thumbs Up 1

It just comes off kinda lazy on their end considering they brought back voice acting for both 3 and 5’s casts for the fucking dancing games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did recall seeing both English and Japanese listed as language options on the classification page, before it was taken down. Didn't think it meant this.

Having no English dub for a game is certainly an oddity in the franchise. A shame too, for such a stellar voice cast! Can't say I'm looking forward to this.

• Thumbs Up 1

It ain't a Persona series without an addition having an odd exclusion of dubs. But up until now, it was just animes and movies.

Deciding not to dub a game? That's just lazy. I could do with a delay in order to ensure a dub, but guess we're not having that.

• Thumbs Up 3

My suspicion is that the voice cast would be necessarily so enormous that it would represent a non-trivial addition to the game's localisation budget - for a spin-off on a console which the hardcore audience has long moved away from.  (Meanwhile, the Dancing games were also on PS4?)  Persona Q2 will likely be one of the final games released on the 3DS, period; I can forgive Atlus for thinking that sales would probably not justify the expense.  Granted, that's now a self-fulfilling prophecy, as a number of people have since indicated that without a dub they don't intend to buy the game...

Personally, and I'm afraid to say it, in playing the original PQ I found listening to the English voice actors saying "senpai" and the like to be unbelievably cringey, and will not mourn the loss of such things.