Awoo.

Help Me Understand The Love For Mighty

JingleBoy

I liked him in the comics, outside of that he's just inoffensive. I don't mind he exists or even comes back in fact I find it pretty neat,, I hope they can explore his character more in whatever new appearances he might make in the future 

I liked him in the comics, outside of that he's just inoffensive. I don't mind he exists or even comes back in fact I find it pretty neat,, I hope they can explore his character more in whatever new appearances he might make in the future 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Darth InVaders said:

His character is actually radically different in personality to Sonic or Knuckles, and before Mania I never saw any reference to super strength (except his name) in any game he was in, SegaSonic or Chaotix.

He does had a steriods-invoking flex animation in the former at least.

11 hours ago, StaticMania said:

It is impossible for anyone to help you understand why anything is "loved"...

The variety of reasons people can give would apply to any given character...and that's enough for anyone to say "what makes ____ so special then"  or  "I don't think his design is that interesting" and it's like what's the point then.

Yeah, pretty much.

Like, people can give their own personal accounts/experiences and the solid/recurrent facts of the matter, but if you desperately feel the need to intimately get in on the good vibes, that's just unlikely to happen easily unfortunately.

All you can really do in take in/note-of the former, get out there to consume it yourself, and see if it leaves a personally developed impression.

2 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Would help if we could see the character more outside the 2D games and into a modern one like the Chaotix. 

53 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's not exactly a comparison to make between characters who do and don't talk during their appearances...I'm also pretty sure Big doesn't exist.

Pretty much.

1 hour ago, MadmanRB said:

Its refreshing to have a basic character who isnt annoying like Cream (though i blame my dislike for Cream on the Sonic X cartoon) or Big.

Admittedly, some of her dialogue did bleed into each other.

Which is why she is the one to explain who Shadow is to Cosmo. :lol:   

37 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

. Gsme wise no idea why people compare him to shadow who was meant to be the polar opposite of sonic. 

Black and red moveset clone of Sonic. Really basic shit.

46 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

He does had a steriods-invoking flex animation in the former at least.

True he does flex, but while that does invoke strength, it is not necessarily super strength which is what I said (lifting big ass rocks and throwing them for example). To me he always came off as a character who was above average in everything, especially strength, and without weakness. Basically I considered him the Mario of Sonic the Hedgehog. 

4 hours ago, Plasme said:

I think Mighty as a pacifist is interesting, but it's the first time I've heard of it. Mania Adventures certainly didn't adhere to it.

Mighty's a martial pacifist.

He doesn't fight unless he has no other options or needs to protect his friends.

Due to his super strength and supposedly having bad temper in the past, it's obvious why he tries to hold back.

• Thumbs Up 1

There was a period of time where I absolutely hated Mighty, specifically because of the fact that he seemed rather popular among the fanbase and I couldn't figure out why. The reasoning people would give me never once justified the reaction his character would get to me. And yes, I was bitter about the occasional suggestion that he should replace Charmy because who the fuck is Mighty and why is he better for the Chaotix dynamic then Charmy? Fucking prick.

Those were my thoughts back then. 

I don't care nowadays. I thought he was boring but inoffensive in the comics. His relationship with Ray did nothing for me. In fact, I got angry when I found out that the first Chaotix focused arc in the Archie comics was secretly about Mighty and his sister with Ray coming in to give a speech to her about how much he loves his sibling. The Chaotix I cared about got to appear on all the covers at least but that story wasn't about them, which is what I was anticipating when I saw the first cover of the three of them splashing out of the water at the reader.

So the bitterness was piling up. However, the first reboot happened and I no longer had any reason to be disgruntled about the Chaotix dynamic since Mighty and Ray were established as being their own separate entities. Now, the IDW comics don't even have them around.

As for the games, the people who wanted him back finally got it and while I wasn't excited I wasn't bothered by it either. The fact that it could happen at all astounded me honestly. Made me think other miracles might be in the cards for the series one day. 

Then Sonic Mania Adventures happened and it actually did really well towards making Mighty and Ray's dynamic look adorable. I'm a sucker for adorable (at least when it feels genuine and not manufactured) so I liked them there. It also helped that there was some nice physical comedy with Ray added in as I'm a lover of slapstick too.

I'm in a spot where I still... don't really "get it" but I'm certainly not bitter anymore either. I have no reason to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh, I still think Mighty is boring as shit myself. Honestly I think the real reason he's had a long backing is just because he's been prominent in Archie since nearly the beginning, being one of the bigger characters in the comics who didn't appear in much else so there was always going to be that hint of mysteriousness to him. Anyway though, he's supposed to be a pacifist who fights reluctantly when there are no other options but we'll most likely never see anything interesting ever done with that. 

Even in Sonic The Comic which is where I know him the best he's really not anything to get excited over. He's a hell of a lot more aggressive there in terms of personality though, always bickering and quick to violence. 

42 minutes ago, Osmium said:

Even in Sonic The Comic which is where I know him the best he's really not anything to get excited over. He's a hell of a lot more aggressive there in terms of personality though, always bickering and quick to violence. 

So he's Knuckles there...then?

36 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

So he's Knuckles there...then?

Knuckles in StC is known for being quite calm and rational minded (at least relative to Sonic), so yeah, Mighty there is similar to modern Knuckles. He's not as stupid as modern Knuckles though, just straightfoward and blunt. Mighty and Espio are known in StC for being rivals of sorts, always arguing with one another and often threatening each other with violence. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think you are exaggerating a bit, there aren't a lot of people who like mighty or ray. Heck their announcement was met with " where's amy " . That said there are people who do like mighty I would imagine from his comic book interpretation which was alright. 

His design is wack though

1 hour ago, Scape said:

He's a character Sonic Team hadn't fucked up yet

They did by forbidding his comic presence.

Never found anything particularly interesting about Mighty... Neither his design, his personality, nor his gameplay (clone in Chaotix, more of the same "copy Sonic's signature, throw a couple moves and call it a day" thing that I disliked ever since Advance 2 made Cream into this right after Advance 1's Amy showed that playable characters could be much more than that) did anything to get my interest.

His only saving grace is being a curiosity, an obscure character that IMO should had stayed as a "Have you seen me?" cameo poster instead of wasting the slot that should had gone for Amy, who has much more merit in all areas, including visual design despite being a hedgehog.

Also I'm not particularly fond of pacifists characters, as either they're boring or hypocrites. (Though none can ever beat Lynn Kaifun from Macross as the worst pacifist type character and his "I'm morally better than those guys who put their lives on the line to protect the civvies")

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

O.K. since I've seen enough folks be 'negative' time for some happy happy! I do understand folks not being happy that your fave didn't get in or not being super happy with how things planned out and understandably so but it's getting a bit weird where people are saying that dillo made them angry and bitter... This is post is just me wanting to say how much I like Mighty now and that's it.

Well, he's friend shaped. He looks like a guy that if you asked for a hug he'd give you one.

He's a good friend to Ray, saving him from Metal twice and not letting his temper get the better of him.

His flexing animation always brings a smile to my face, like he's cocky and strong but it's not as overbearing as Sonic or Knux like a nice balance of the two from what I've gathered.

His shell alone is neat, can smash spikes and deflect bullets, even take a hit from Metal!

In the archie comics he was always a sweetheart looking out for his teammates and being supportive and understanding for the most part. I know @Dr. Detective Mike vehemently hated those issues where Mighty and Ray were in the Sandblast Zone but for someone who waited a long while for them to pop back up I was hyped to see the boys all together kicking ass including Charmy. Those issues were some of my faves and I still enjoy reading them from time to time.

I also love the accidental super fist bump he gave Ray in Adventures. It shows that he has potential to improve his control while being cute as hell! 

Also the little homages back to Sonic in how much they look alike is nice too. I like his shrug 'like, eh I know your busy I guess it can't be helped...'

And the main reason is I like him cause he makes me happy! I don't want Mighty to replace anyone, just stick around and maybe be playable again in another game and be fleshed out a little more one day in the far future. That's all I have to say, there isn't anymore.

• Thumbs Up 8

I have to say, as this thread goes on I find myself wondering if anything those of us who actually do like Mighty have said has been heard. Frequently I pop in here and instead of seeing anyone honestly trying to answer the OP's question I instead see constant declarations of not liking Mighty and not even any hypothesizing on why those who love him do. I'm probably over reacting, but when I post

a detailed response like this which details that my enjoyment of the character stemmed from another's enjoyment and subsequent interpretations of the character and people still casually blow off any like of the character as Archie or "curio" it seems a bit dismissive of why some of us like him. While I know the discussion is not necessarily an easy one to partake in or even contribute to, especially if Mighty is not your cup of tea, discussion can be explored by examining why some of us do like him who have posted and discussing if the merits that bring our like of the character are universal or if they are heavily individual preference. There's a lot to explore here, and possibly even learn, so reducing the discussion to saying you don't get it, don't like him, it's because of Archie, or he's a curio character is as much a disservice to yourself as it is the OP. And heck, as someone who's liked Amy since her debut in CD where she was just a pink Sonic in a dress, as the detractors say, just because she brightened up my day every time I saw her, I find knocking Mighty due to a lack of appearances as kind of silly. Even Knuckles was liked and popular before his debut game even came out so this need to have some type of formula to understand the like of him seems peculiar to me in itself. But as this thread allows those of us who do like him to share our opinions and there is discussion which can be derived from those opinions, let's not just waste this thread by shrugging and going 'don't like him myself'. Let's talk about Mighty and see if there are potential reasons for all of us to like him.

I'll start this off again by keeping it simple and restating that a lot of what I like of Mighty is his potential that stems from being a friend of Sonic and fellow adventurer/globetrotter. Those aspects of his add a bit of depth to Sonic's world as well as precedence for other characters to just decide to be adventurers like Sonic by establishing that Sonic is not the only one. This tiny bit of depth makes the world that much more engrossing and that he leans towards being a pacifist who enjoys sightseeing also shows that adventuring and globetrotting does not require you to be a super villain stopping super hero to be a part of this amazing world full of the relics of forgotten and ancient civilizations that constantly lure adventurers to their next adventure. The main story may be about Sonic and his encounters/clashes with Eggman, but a character like Mighty helps show what type of world those two exist in just by virtue of being a globetrotting adventurer in a different vein then Sonic and as someone who likes a bit of world depth that helps make Mighty and his potential that much more appealing to me. Is he redundant, sure, but in his case his redundancy is a boon to himself and Sonic's world in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I have to say, as this thread goes on I find myself wondering if anything those of us who actually do like Mighty have said has been heard. Frequently I pop in here and instead of seeing anyone honestly trying to answer the OP's question I instead see constant declarations of not liking Mighty and not even any hypothesizing on why those who love him do. I'm probably over reacting, but when I post

a detailed response like this which details that my enjoyment of the character stemmed from another's enjoyment and subsequent interpretations of the character and people still casually blow off any like of the character as Archie or "curio" it seems a bit dismissive of why some of us like him. While I know the discussion is not necessarily an easy one to partake in or even contribute to, especially if Mighty is not your cup of tea, discussion can be explored by examining why some of us do like him who have posted and discussing if the merits that bring our like of the character are universal or if they are heavily individual preference. 

People just feel the need to constantly denounce everything nowadays, I've seen.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 8/8/2018 at 9:27 PM, Osmium said:

kf0Pf52.jpg?1

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

20 minutes ago, Pengi said:

kf0Pf52.jpg?1

Was that from the first time they were introduced or something? They even misspell Charmy's name.

Just now, StaticMania said:

It's from what roles they had or might've had in "Sonic the Comic"...

Well, Nigel Kitching's name is on it, so I figured.

Mighty having a dad is something I do know happens later, which reinforces my thought

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Was that from the first time they were introduced or something? They even misspell Charmy's name.

Charmy was always spelled "Charmee" in Sonic the Comic for whatever reason. 

9 minutes ago, Osmium said:

Charmy was always spelled "Charmee" in Sonic the Comic for whatever reason. 

I was sitting here bout to ask Why, but then I realized it's probably because he's a Bee.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 1

I just like armadillos.

I like the things that have been done with Mighty on top of that, but that's not a bad foundation when there's been little else, either.