Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Team Gameplay Spotlight

Patron

2 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Only now realize that the 7th zone of the Sonic Lost world is right next to the 4th zone....
Does that mean Sonic is taking a freaking DETOUR to Silent forest and Sky zone while his planet is being sucked dry and Amy's pleading for her life?
Hah.
Then again, considering the Tornado was fixed up in the first zone and they still go on foot, I guess Sonic was never concerned about getting there in time.
And where are the flying donuts on this world map? And-

Why are you trying to inject logic into Sonic Lost World's plot?

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Still not feeling it. Gonna pass this one like I did with Forces. It's a damn shame, tho'. I've been waiting for a great kart racer on the PS4 for a long time... Guess this will be a forgettable one. Crash Team Racing remake when?

But there's no Classic Sonic this time! Give it a chance!

• Thumbs Up 1

They are also going for simplistic design choices, both in track design, graphics and gameplay, and I don't really like this. It's what I disliked about Forces, it seems like modern games are just for kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

But there's no Classic Sonic this time! Give it a chance!

There isn't a great game either for the look of it so far.

8 minutes ago, Drifting Jack said:

They are also going for simplistic design choices, both in track design, graphics and gameplay, and I don't really like this. It's what I disliked about Forces, it seems like modern games are just for kids.

Iizuka said it's easier for the player to spot the rings, but really, it's easier for the team to do the levels fast! (Lost World interview).

So, if even Sumo Digital can't (or aren't allowed) to make a super awesome Sonic themed game then we're fucked.

The franchise is doomed.

Well, 3D Sonic is anyway but that's all I care about so... the part of the franchise I care about is doomed!

Although I still think it'll be fine. 

So Semi-Doomed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

So, if even Sumo Digital can't (or aren't allowed) to make a super awesome Sonic themed game then we're fucked.

The franchise is doomed.

Well, 3D Sonic is anyway but that's all I care about so... the part of the franchise I care about is doomed!

So Semi-Doomed. 

It's too early to go full paranoid and doosmday... I'm just sad that we can't get good modern games. Even with talented people working on it. That's why I blame some fans, they aren't helping. 

1 hour ago, Drifting Jack said:

It's too early to go full paranoid and doosmday... I'm just sad that we can't get good modern games. Even with talented people working on it. That's why I blame some fans, they aren't helping. 

I was half-joking but... considering the only things I have to look forward to are this and the IDW comics and I just got off the massive disappointment that was Forces, I'm not feeling too hot right now. Now this shitty movie is also coming out and it's gonna fuck Sonic over even more for no reason. 

It's not even like Forces was a "bad" game. I still go back to it even. Partly to mindlessly boost through shit in Luminous Forest while thinking about how it could have been awesome. I'm also still looking forward to this racing game as well. I'm gonna buy it. I'm gonna have fun playing as the other characters and hearing them speak again. I'll even get some mild amusement from the story, even if it is a bunch of talking heads. The team mechanic will have no choice but to elicit some fun so long as it's not broken, and from what I've seen so far it isn't. The only concern arises when it comes to you snagging 1st place and your teammates not being in a good spot but even then, 1st place is the most important as far as points go and helping your team out has been shown to be a lot easier than I first anticipated. I saw one video where the characters were in 6th and 8th but as soon as the guy set off his Team Ultimate, they were all in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively. Not to mention the single player will be fun for those who want a break from it as well.

I'm acknowledging all this but after the conversations I've had on here, it's kind of hard not to feel a certain way. Because everyone is mostly correct about the concerns they're bringing up. They may vary in levels of importance from individual to individual, which is why I'm not as harsh about it, but the problems are still there. 

What else can the fans do aside from pointing out what's wrong with it? @Blue Blood is right when he used the word "tepid" to describe the reaction to this. It's incredibly luke-warm, even for me as someone who really wants this game. I can't deny that I'm not super hyped. Part of it is because I got burned so badly with Forces before and another part is because of the waiting and the slow dribble of info. This isn't like a Smash Bros where everything they reveal is super monsterous and bursting with content. We get like... maybe a slow drip feed of info then an announcement of like a team or something and then wait even more.

There's not much to chew on and not a whole lot to expect people to be excited about so I can't exactly blame people even though I think the game will still be a good one.

I'd save the "franchise is doomed" for after and IF we hear that Team Mania isn't coming back for any more projects. But that's getting off-topic.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

It's pretty crazy how tepid the reaction is to this, and I can't see any reason at all for people to be feeling more positive about it. SEGA were asking for this the moment they decided to use the Sonic R 'R' in the logo, and leave that as our only teaser for months. I think they'd have been better off calling it Sonic Heroes Racing or something, but the name is the least of the problems really.

It depends on where you look. I usually don't factor Youtube comments since they're riddled with trolls and morons. On a lot of news sites though, I see general positivity. People are hyped or they think the game isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread but is still worth a purchase for a bit of fun. There's a significant amount of people people who aren't so excited, but usually its because of something on their end, like that they have little interest in games that are geared towards multiplayer, as opposed to any problems with the game itself (though do note that I'm not claiming that anybody who isn't excited for TSR doesn't have reasons beyond the game simply not being to their taste).

Apparently there's a surprising amount of people who actually didn't like Transformed all that much and are happy to have a racer that moves away from it. They do have some valid reasons too, like the stages feeling overly chaotic to the point of distraction or not liking that they can't just race in a car and instead have to use the transforming gimmick. Likewise, apparently some people were disappointed with Mario Kart 8 for various reasons, so they're okay with giving this a shot.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n33889/team-sonic-racing-shows-the-importance-of-working-together

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/video_new_team_sonic_racing_trailer_showcases_all-new_team_mechanics

https://www.destructoid.com/teamwork-does-in-fact-make-the-dream-work-in-team-sonic-racing-516135.phtml (this one in particular has a lot of skeptics, but overall it seems very few think the game is actually bad or not entertaining)

https://www.destructoid.com/team-sonic-racing-looks-like-it-s-gotta-go-faster-506404.phtml

https://www.destructoid.com/team-sonic-racing-just-feels-alright-507847.phtml (this one had the most negativity in it, and was one of the few sources where there were more people feeling negative then positive)

It should be noted too that none of the negativity makes reference to that teaser or Sonic R. Its usually just comparing TSR unfavorably to Transformed or Mario Kart, and they have a right to that. Which tells me that the trailer didn't leave a very long-lasting impact on people-- actual games, on the other hand, did. Not saying that the tease wasn't stupid and pointless, but I don't think it was inviting negativity about the game in any way when most people don't even seem to remember it. That's usually reserved for actual content.

7 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The franchise is doomed.

So Semi-Doomed. 

So you stopped caring about the IDW comic?

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

So you stopped caring about the IDW comic?

Okay, so, I didn't think I needed to explain that this was mostly a joke... but that post was me purposefully being hyperbolic as a joke. 

Obviously, I still love the IDW comic. It's not relevant to what we're focusing on here though.

Eh... I'm reallly just not feeling this. Like plenty of others have said here, this doesn't hold a candle to ASRT. I don't know how to describe just to what extent of a downgrade this is, but it feels and looks like a phone game that was upscaled for consoles, if that makes any sense.

It feels like a game that’ll be fine gameplay wise and clearly have effort put into it from that perspective, but will ultimately be empty/bare bones in any other regard. So kinda like MvC3 vanilla if anyone recalls that game’s reception 

This clip of a level and characters we've already seen is the promised news for this week, huh? It's Forces all over again with the absolutely boring and barebones news drops, likely reflecting a boring and barebones game, just like Forces. I hope I am wrong.  I guess we'll have to wait until Gamescom for more. I can't say I am impressed with the gameplay, art, dialogue, or tiny roster, that's for sure. 

10 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

This clip of a level and characters we've already seen is the promised news for this week, huh? It's Forces all over again with the absolutely boring and barebones news drops, likely reflecting a boring and barebones game, just like Forces. I hope I am wrong.  I guess we'll have to wait until Gamescom for more. I can't say I am impressed with the gameplay, art, dialogue, or tiny roster, that's for sure. 

Forces really did start a new era...

11 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

TBF, we did learn about some new mechanics regarding teamwork.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

TBF, we did learn about some new mechanics regarding teamwork.

We kinda knew about all of these though except for the one where you bump into a teammate to give them a boost after they've been hit.

15 hours ago, MegasonicZX said:

We kinda knew about all of these though except for the one where you bump into a teammate to give them a boost after they've been hit.

And it's kinda crappy. In ASRT, getting hit would barely bring you to a halt unless you were hit by three fireworks at once; otherwise you would just lose speed but keep going. This time, getting hit will stop you almost completely. And unless you're fortunate enough to have a team member very close behind who's paying enough attention to bump into you, you're going to suffer hard for it. It's a bit shit. You'll be suffering a lot from minor attacks.

It's one of the major ways that ASRT was a more driving (/boating/flying) focused kart racer that emphasised player skill rather than randomised weapons like Mario Kart. That's not a dig at Mario Kart though. It's just remarking in how TSR doesn't seem to know how to make its mechanics work.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/9/2018 at 4:10 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I remember liking the Omochao voice in Riders though. It didn't sound like the Omochao I was used to so I didn't even put it together it was him until I saw one of the story cutscenes.

Yeah, I get the sense that people describing her as annoying has more to do with the realization/revelation that it's Omochao than the voice itself, which is honestly a bit soft for the role.

Hell, even the post-Generations voice always sound more slightly spunky-cute than anything that should irritate.

On 8/9/2018 at 8:24 AM, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Only now realize that the 7th zone of the Sonic Lost world is right next to the 4th zone....
Does that mean Sonic is taking a freaking DETOUR to Silent forest and Sky zone while his planet is being sucked dry and Amy's pleading for her life?
Hah.
Then again, considering the Tornado was fixed up in the first zone and they still go on foot, I guess Sonic was never concerned about getting there in time.
And where are the flying donuts on this world map? And-

Yeah, I realized that when I saw that map.

Guess it makes Zavok getting on Zeena for not having left yet a little more unnecessary, though.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:31 AM, Kazhnuz said:

It's just something that happen in these kind of game, because the rules is having a lot of character (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc… do it. Even F-Zero have a reference to Star Fox with a character xD). Dead character, character that couldn't be realistically here (Blaze, Silver), alternate version even… all that doesn't count because these game are made to be fun. TBH, here he wouldn't mess the plot if made as a multiplayer-only character, and he wouldn't have a bad gameplay like in Forces (because he would have the same than everybody else).

TBH, I would have way preferred the game with more character including some classic one, even if I like it so far. It's not a problem in itself, it's just that for that kind of game, if they aren't having any non-Sonic character, I think that they should have gone a bit more crazy with Sonic content, then.

Which once again makes the limited roster rather daft. 

Though I agree that having Classic Sonic himself in stuff like this would be kinda dumb.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:04 AM, Miragnarok said:

Sonic could have done a beeline from Windy Hill up to Lava Mountain! Only going through Frozen Factory on the way up. As well as that new zone that looks like a mud flat.

To be fair, he was there to free all the abducted animals and didn't know about the Extractor at that point. 

On 8/9/2018 at 10:36 AM, Scape said:

Why are you trying to inject logic into Sonic Lost World's plot?

Why didn't Sonic Team do that more when conceptualizing the story?

Hell, apparently the Lost Hex is called "The Continent of Illusions" in some version, so maybe they could've incorporated that as a plot point and/or piece of world building at one point.

31 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, I get the sense that people describing her as annoying has more to do with the realization/revelation that it's Omochao than the voice itself, which is honestly a bit soft for the role.

Hell, even the post-Generations voice always sound more slightly spunky-cute than anything that should irritate.

Yeah, I realized that when I saw that map.

Guess it makes Zavok getting on Zeena for not having left yet a little more unnecessary, though.

Which once again makes the limited roster rather daft. 

Though I agree that having Classic Sonic himself in stuff like this would be kinda dumb.

To be fair, he was there to free all the abducted animals and didn't know about the Extractor at that point. 

Why didn't Sonic Team do that more when conceptualizing the story?

Hell, apparently the Lost Hex is called "The Continent of Illusions" in some version, so maybe they could've incorporated that as a plot point and/or piece of world building at one point.

How do we know Baldy hadn’t planted yet more Mobini capsules across the moon? And, if Sonic still respected Tails, he could have ordered him to save the animals, or he might end up finding and using a master switch to save them all when he gets up to the fortress. 

Yeahhhh sorry but I’m not really feeling this. I was already down on it being a Sonic racing game only, but at the very least was hoping for some good ol’ fan service and maybe some cool obscure characters to play as like Tikal, Chaos 0 or Sticks. Welp, guess that’s not happening with the tiny character selection. And the stages so far look like they’re going to be the usual suspects too besides that...ice stage. Hmm hmm. =/

i can only hope the gameplay is engaging enough and music is really good, cos this looks like it’s going to be an easy skip for me. Looks underwhelming and might even end up as bare bones as Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (besides  the addition story mode of course!).

It looks like people are pushing for a much higher stander with Team Sonic Racing then they did for Sonic Mania which didn't even add Amy. Sega said themselves that this isn't a sequel to Sega All Star Racing yet some are upset for the lack of Sega characters, there upset about only having fifteen playable characters when Mania only had five and like Sonic Riders Team Sonic Racing gets about fifteen playable characters. This game looks identical to Sonic Transformed but with a different way to race.

22 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

It looks like people are pushing for a much higher stander with Team Sonic Racing then they did for Sonic Mania which didn't even add Amy. Sega said themselves that this isn't a sequel to Sega All Star Racing yet some are upset for the lack of Sega characters, there upset about only having fifteen playable characters when Mania only had five and like Sonic Riders Team Sonic Racing gets about fifteen playable characters. This game looks identical to Sonic Transformed but with a different way to race.

No, they're pushing for a standard on par with at least All Stars Racing Transformed, which isn't happening. Comparing stuff like the character count to Mania and all that is absolutely bizarre when they're entirely different kinds of games where different playable characters entails a huge difference in development. All that's different about the characters in this game is their model, stats and voice, whereas in a platforming game like Mania their moveset needs to be tested and balanced against a slew of stages, moreso for Mighty and Ray who need to not break what it already established. 

It looks very unlike ASRT on anything but a surface level, due to the removal of dynamic track designs, a focus on flat, wide tracks to facilitate the dodgy team gimmicks, bizarre decisions such as items killing all of your momentum dead (again, just to push a relatively dodgy team gimmick), and weakened variety from having only Sonic characters - but more than that, from having the bare minimum of Sonic characters. This is a Sonic spin-off racing game from Sumo Digital - where are the deep cuts? The pleasant surprises? So far the most Sumo spirit I've seen from this game is the sodding Rad Mobile ad in Wisp Circuit. 

It's comparing apples and oranges. People aren't mad about this game because of Mania, they're mad about this game because it looks paltry compared to the last one, even putting aside the lack of SEGA characters. 

• Thumbs Up 8

6 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

How do we know Baldy hadn’t planted yet more Mobini capsules across the moon?

Because he wasn't on the moon--he was on the Lost Hex?

6 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

And, if Sonic still respected Tails, he could have ordered him to save the animals, or he might end up finding and using a master switch to save them all when he gets up to the fortress. 

Trying to understand what you're getting at here.

Are you saying he and Tails should've split up?