Awoo.

Does No One Here Want A SatAM/Archie Sonic Game?

NiTROACTiVE

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Thanks. Though I'm finding it a little hard to follow. I guess because I haven't played Mania either and I think "phantom ruby" is associated with Mania?

It's associated with both Mania and Forces.

Simply put, the Phantom Ruby was something that Eggman tried to harness in Mania, but (Classic) Sonic manages to stop him. Then the Ruby somehow opens a portal, dragging it and Sonic into the world of Forces, kicking off that game's events.

I agree with you said, @horridus. Especially this part: 

17 hours ago, horridus said:

My biggest concern though would be the nature of the changes- one of the defining concepts for all the Freedom Fighters is that they are driven and defined by their lives being ruined by Robotnik, having lost their homes and families to him and being forced to grow up at a young age in order to retake their world. SEGA's storytelling priorities at this point doesn't really permit that much backstory in general, let alone any kind of close connection to Eggman or anyone else. 

I definitely feel like the Freedom Fighters are very intertwined with the Archie setting and story and putting them into the game would require some tweaking to them in order to get them to fit, especially with the loose continuity. I guess it's possible, though. You could have a game where Eggman had completely taken over this specific region where the Freedom Fighters live and Sonic and some of the other game characters go to help them. But that's just me throwing ideas.

I'm going to 100% honest and say while I think it would be cool for Archie characters to have a cameo or maybe even show up in a spin-off game, I would rather they keep out of the main games. I'm not sure if anyone else agrees with me on this, but I feel like the comics having their own characters kind of contributed to their identity. I'm definitely not talking about the Ken Penders era (that's pretty much how you don't make your comic separate from the games), but more of the late pre-reboot and post-reboot. Part of the reason why I loved the comics was the unique characters and different takes on the stories from the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, TideKai said:

I agree with you said, @horridus. Especially this part: 

I definitely feel like the Freedom Fighters are very intertwined with the Archie setting and story and putting them into the game would require some tweaking to them in order to get them to fit, especially with the loose continuity. I guess it's possible, though. You could have a game where Eggman had completely taken over this specific region where the Freedom Fighters live and Sonic and some of the other game characters go to help them. But that's just me throwing ideas.

I'm going to 100% honest and say while I think it would be cool for Archie characters to have a cameo or maybe even show up in a spin-off game, I would rather they keep out of the main games. I'm not sure if anyone else agrees with me on this, but I feel like the comics having their own characters kind of contributed to their identity. I'm definitely not talking about the Ken Penders era (that's pretty much how you don't make your comic separate from the games), but more of the late pre-reboot and post-reboot. Part of the reason why I loved the comics was the unique characters and different takes on the stories from the game.

Eh, this is a thread about ideas- throwing them out is entirely within the scope of things. I've actually entertained the idea myself from time to time- Eggman succeeding in conquering the Kingdom of Acorn and managing to imprison the King, with Sally gathering others to fight back and Sonic and co getting mixed up in things and helping them to overthrow Eggman's presence within the various Zones that comprise the Kingdom, before he can solidify his conquest and then have the resources he needs to spread out and conquer the rest of the planet. Heck, if it weren't for SEGA being completely hellbent against Sonic having any family (or even the hint of a backstory), I'd suggest using Chuck as the binding thread giving Sonic a particular urgency to rush there- namely the fact that he lives in the Kingdom of Acorn.

Granted, the biggest challenge here would be the subject of Roboticization and how to handle Bunnie Rabbot. Roboticization has been hinted at but has yet to be explicitly shown as it is in the most recent games- we have Tails sabotaging the process in Lost World, and Eggman makes mention of a Robotomy treatment that sounds an awful lot like Roboticization proper, but then we still don't know if it properly works as Roboticization usually does or if its just "Badnikification". IF the process works like normal then we can use Bunnie as per normal, or at least something like her revised Reboot origin (which I wouldn't be entirely fond of since the indirectness of Eggman's role in her limbs causes her concept to lose something)... but then of course, a way will need to be found as to explain why Eggman won't be using this VERY handy enslavement technology in future game installments. If 'Roboticization' is just for making Badniks though, then we have to explain how and why Bunnie has robo-limbs, which either means disconnecting her origin entirely from Eggman and thus removing a great deal of her character, or having to envision that Eggy gruesomely experimented on her and pretty much mutilated her by removing limbs and replacing them with prosthetics... while I'd never advocate Eggman as being a softy even in the games (he IS the man willing to drown a city to get his way), I'm not sure this would really 'feel' right, nor would it fly with either SEGA or fans. And again, we could do as in the Reboot and suggest she was badly injured by falling debris and required emergency robot limbs afterward, but that still doesn't 'feel' right to me given that it makes Eggman only indirectly responsible for her condition.... but I suppose it would be better than him getting a sudden injection of Grimdark into his veins, heh. 

It's all quite a conundrum.... but its not exactly impossible. 

Though as you said... yeah, it might be best if they never appeared in the main games. I'd hate to see for so many characters I love to go through the usual SEGA practice of getting used once or twice and then discarded or banished to Olympic Game Limbo. In the most ideal of worlds, I would like it if Sonic was permitted to operate as franchises like the Ninja Turtles or Transformers do- with re-invention of pre-existing creations and concepts being permissible in new spinoffs, with a potential Satam/Archie based game being allowed its own mini-line much the way Boom was envisioned, or even being permitted to use things from Fleetway or Underground, or even Sonic X if it wanted. Granted, I doubt fans would be in the mood for anything like that given how dreadful Rise of Lyric was, and the perception of infusing it with a bit of Forces would likewise diminish people's willingness to give it a chance... but then, I am talking about the most ideal of worlds.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 hours ago, NegaMetallix said:

It's associated with both Mania and Forces.

Simply put, the Phantom Ruby was something that Eggman tried to harness in Mania, but (Classic) Sonic manages to stop him. Then the Ruby somehow opens a portal, dragging it and Sonic into the world of Forces, kicking off that game's events.

Hmm. Well, I guess that's kinda cool. Sonic games usually to exist in a bubble, at least it feels like.