Awoo.

Sonic Forces Sales

Nicky Nicardo

6 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Another thing that kind of leads me to believe that Forces fails is... Well... Forces isn't the game that SEGA talks about these days. It's Mania.

That's because they're currently milking Mania.

A game like Forces, as mediocre as it is, still sells a lot because of (no offense) children and unconditional fans. A failure is not selling outside that audience, but that's not like Forces has sold 20.000 copies. It sure has sold at least 500.000 on all systems around the world. Not bad, but a better game just sells better.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Tornado said:

That's because they're currently milking Mania.

Interesting isn't it? You'd think they'd be milking Forces if it was the resounding success that they're claiming it was.

18 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Interesting isn't it? You'd think they'd be milking Forces if it was the resounding success that they're claiming it was.

good sales = good reception though. Of course they're making Mania the face of their IP, it's the better received game and pushing it instead of Forces is just common business sense.

34 minutes ago, Biggs said:

good sales = good reception though. Of course they're making Mania the face of their IP, it's the better received game and pushing it instead of Forces is just common business sense.

I'm being partially facetious. I know the reason that Mania is the current face of the franchise is because the game had both positive critical reception and sales. That's why I'm saying as a counterpoint, that Forces hasn't had either of these things.

My point is that SEGA seems keen on saying that Forces was successful even though they're not publishing any figures to back up, and this is in spite of they're own behavior.  If SEGA posts figures, and it ends up that 1 million units or something like that were sold, then I'll concede that Forces was at least mildly successful. 

Successful = enough units sold and thus more profit made than production costs were? Or what's the definition of being successful? 

3 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Why would I think that? I'm under no impression that a modern 3D platformer under development for 4 years (including new engine development) has as easy or especially as cheap of a turnaround period for post release content as a 2D game primarily designed by a handful of people that was already being worked on for months before Sega was even approached. That would be true even if Forces had sold as well as Heroes had. I'm also under no impression that simply selling well must mean that Sega uses that financial success as part of their marketing, even if you are trying to force that logic on others.

Forces could have sold well completely independently of whether it was received well; just like it could have sold well completely independently of whether Mania sold well while also having a better reception to hitch their wagon on in the future. Shadow the Hedgehog cleared 2 million copies, but Sega was well aware of the reception it got and steered well clear of making that the face of the franchise. Sonic 4 sold about as well as Mania did, but how much did that game become what Sega wanted people to remember about the series in 2011?

• Too Many Rings 2

2 hours ago, BlueFlare said:

Successful = enough units sold and thus more profit made than production costs were? Or what's the definition of being successful? 

I honestly don't even know. SEGA just said "it sold well". I honestly don't know if SEGA considers that successful, or if there's other considerations they're taking into that. I assume, that as a company, that they consider sales as the ultimate litmus, but as the person above me mentioned that could be the case.

@Tornado

I wasn't in the greater lexicon of the Sonic fanbase back in 2005, back then I had really limited access to the internet because the only computer I had was a Pentium III machine and I was 12 the time Shadow came out. I don't remember what SEGA's attitude was with Shadow the time it came out. I will throw out through that in the immediate time Shadow was pretty reflective of Sonic games in the immediate future given the games that came out after it.

• 1 year later...

I want to bring this thread back to life, apparently the ps4 version of the game is the best selling item in "figurine" in Italy on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/bestsellers/videogames/13899780031/ref=sr_bs_0_13899780031_1

Consider that Sonic is extremely forgotten in my country, so this boost is probably due to the movie popularity… which is kinda low here compared to the rest of Europe.

The only data we had ever gotten of Forces's sales was that Sega was "pleased" with its performance and it indeed "performed strongly" those were the words from Sega Sammy report, Forces, Yakuza and Football Manager were included as top sellers apparently when Sega sold 14.3 million copies in retail up to the 2018 season, I think. This data is all confusing.

It's weird that they didn't give a proper number of the first quarter of yearly sales. We know that Generations sold 3 millions on consoles plus the PC sales which were almost 1 mln, so 4 millions in a couple of years, Lost World did bad because of the Wii-U release, performing 700,000 units on consoles and 200.000 on PC, so I guess it did pass the million in the end, and Boom was the lowest selling Sonic game ever apparently.

I don't think Forces did better than Unleashed or Generations in 2 years of release, because of reviews it got, but it's getting re-released a lot with bundles with Mania and even Team Sonic Racing, and a re-release in Japan at a permanent lower price. What does this mean? They did the same for Mania by releasing a non-Plus version, except it's not re-released in Japan, probably because Classic Sonic is snobbed in that region, it doesn't sell, so they want to milk both Mania and Forces almost everywhere with bundles and new releases, I guess they both sold well? In spite of the different quality.

Oh, and they may want to use the movie's popularity right now, that probably explains the rereleases, even though the movie isn't out yet.

Other links:

The re-release in Japan at lower price: https://gonintendo.com/stories/342821-sonic-forces-new-price-version-releasing-in-japan

The bundle in all Europe through Amazon: https://www.amazon.fr/Sonic-Double-Pack-Forces-Mania/dp/B07KMNW8LR

Considering how "Sonic Forces: Speed Battle" was renamed as just "Sonic Forces", do you think when they say that Sonic Forces was successful, they use the amount of downloads of the app as an excuse? It's still Sonic Forces after all...

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

I want to bring this thread back to life, apparently the ps4 version of the game is the best selling item in "figurine" in Italy on Amazon:

It is outselling most of the now dead toys to life market, it shouldn't be in with them and isn't really reflecting its popularity.

13 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

it's getting re-released a lot with bundles with Mania and even Team Sonic Racing, and a re-release in Japan at a permanent lower price. What does this mean?

It means they have something on the shelf in time for christmas and the price is reflecting what it will have fallen to anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a flop/bomb or you want it to be a flop because you don't like it? I don't like it either, but if Sonic doesn't sell Sega will not invest big money for the next game, but we'll get shitty low budget releases like TSR with poor content, or good indie projects like Mania, not big games, after the failures of Lost World and Boom, I'm sick of flops. I know Forces is a bad game, and they could interpret good sales as "fans are idiots, they will buy anything ha ha" but everyone complained about Forces, reviews most importantly, so perhaps they can use that money to expand and improve the next game, learn the lesson or hire more experienced people, but every time I say something like that I get shut down with "it's just wishful thinking"... Maybe yeah. But Forces doesn't 100% suck, story had potential, Classic Sonic inclusion was pointless, and Modern Sonic was heavily simplified, the Avatar had weird gameplay IMO but definitely the most enjoyable out of the 3, and since an Avatar game will never happen 'cause they don't think it can carry a full game, or any character for that matter, I'd like to see it improved in the next game, yeah... as much as I love canon characters more.

On 11/23/2019 at 6:22 AM, Tangled Jack said:

Consider that Sonic is extremely forgotten in my country, so this boost is probably due to the movie popularity…

That's probably exactly that. It's the most recent Sonic game released, and the good vibes the movie gave itself following the new trailer is probably burning up unsold stock.

Weird thing is, they are celebrating Forces with a new interview with Iizuka and Nakamura in a magazine: 

They must have  liked the game in Japan, they are rereleasing it at budget price (even lower). That's not something for every day, Japan usually snobs Sonic, see: Mania, Boom, althouh they were released there too, they never talk about them.

Sonic Boom was a failed attempt at a reboot released exclusively on a failed, since-discontinued console that was farmed out to an outside studio. 5 years ago. What interview material could possibly be given about it, and how much unsold stock is going to shift for a Wii U game in 2019 even with a price drop?

Five years?

Good lord, has it really been that long? Feels like it’s been less than that.

13 hours ago, BlueFlare said:

Don't tell me 2021 game will be Forces' sequel.

If it doesn't have linear, 2D and way too simple and automated gameplay, I will take it. I'm just worried that they will not learn the lesson if Forces has allegedly sold well. Of course, they have seen the reviews… idk.

@Tornado I'm not saying that… about now, they could have promoted it better in the past though, same for Mania, did they? Can't remember atm, but there is a new physical release for Mania, the non Plus version, I haven't seen them talk about it now. Still this interview is old, but they are still celebrating the budget release of Forces. Sounds like a lot of interest for Forces.