Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - GamesCom Impressions

Badnik Mechanic

First public demo of the game is now on. However it's unlikely you will see any new video.

Booth Rules:

No Filming of any kind: Koch Media have banned it.
Photos: Still photography is permitted.

Game has won a random award from a random site.

Event hasn't fully opened yet, so more impressions will likely come later today/tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Why do companies ban filming so much these days

I think this is one of two things.

1: Last year, Sega had a no video recording rule for Forces, but it wasn't as restrictive as this.

You could record, but it had to be off centre or over shoulder.

Reason being, they had deals with other websites who were going to pay for the clear footage.

2: Something is wrong with the game. Sadly the tweet earlier suggests that's the case.

• Nice Smile 2
  • Chuckle 1

9 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

2: Something is wrong with the game. Sadly the tweet earlier suggests that's the case.

Ruki did later elaborate that it could be Koch Media's doing, not necessarily SEGA's.

The fact that they did say that is still very concerning and dumb, considering that you could record at E3.

really hope we're getting some direct gameplay footage later on during this week, cuz man, this whole small info dripping thing reminds me of Forces again...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

15 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

1: Last year, Sega had a no video recording rule for Forces, but it wasn't as restrictive as this.

Reason being, they had deals with other websites who were going to pay for the clear footage.

Not gonna lie but I was going to say this earlier today but thought I'd better not.

I think its a safe assumption is to say the frame-rate isn't up to snuff, and the easiest way to handle quality control is to just limit what the masses get to see.

If they take their time, develop and polish the game until early 2019, it can still be a nice little game, I don't wanna give up hope on it just yet. I still like the gameplay mechanics and the 2 tracks look cool so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Please sega dont f this up

Yep, is settled, this game needs a delay.

Hopefully Sega will do the sensible thing. DELAY IT.

I remember Transformed had inconsistent and low frame rate presentations not too far ahead of its release as well - it feels like most Sonic games do actually. Its like that is one of the last things that gets fixed...

This is where having a new branch of Sumo working on this game starts to hurt. They won't have the past experience to fall back on in ironing out all the kinks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just spoken to TSS staffer Jason. 

He told me that TSR also had frame rate issues at E3.

I'm wary of framerate criticism as it often is something that remains an issue until shortly before release, but even so the impressions aren't exactly glowing or anything yet. This game is turning out to be a let down.

Do you want more? https://www.gamersglobal.de/news/148528/gc-2018-team-sonic-racing-angespielt-mit-tails-und-knuckles-gewonnen

This German preview treats the game like a very, very early build, though they say "as of now it's still slated for 2018". They mention the unstable frame-rate, bugs, collision problems such as cars flipping over upon touching the walls, and the sound mixing being unfinished.

They did like it otherwise, and revealed the Rhythm Wisp fills your screen with vibrating music notes.

Personally? Delay this, Sega! Those holiday sales may look tasty, but it's not worth ruining the only branch of Modern Sonic games that is not critically panned yet.

• My Emmerdoods 1

I'd actually be very happy if they delayed this a year and vastly improved on it. Probably won't happen though for obvious reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly they should have stuck with and built upon transformed. if anything they took two steps back as if trying to play it safe with a watered down racer.

• Thumbs Up 2

TSR not being pushed back to 2019 if it's having serious performance problems would be a pretty damning look on Sega, given their whole apology/speech about letting quality control go out the window a few years back. It's also a pretty damning look for Sumo Digital at all, considering they're also currently the lead developer for the notorious Crackdown 3 (which, for those out of the loop, is in notorious development hell)...

1 hour ago, LukA8 said:

Personally? Delay this, Sega! Those holiday sales may look tasty, but it's not worth ruining the only branch of Modern Sonic games that is not critically panned yet.

Eh....whether by "branch" you're referring to Sonic-specific racers (Free Riders) or Sonic spinoffs in general (Shadow, Black Knight, Boom games); I wouldn't say that's accurate. (And the ASR games, while considered good and having Sonic's name on both titles, are considered more of it's own thing a la Smash Bros; rather than something specifically tied to Sonic.)

• Thumbs Up 2

I doubt it'll get delayed. This project feels less Sumo and more SEGA so far so I'm willing to bet the smart decisions will continue to not be acted upon. 

If we are assuming that the "end 2018" date is correct.

Then the game may not get delayed. Or if it does Sumo may not work on it. Don't forget this is an outsourced project so Sumo will utterly require a huge increase in cash if Sega want more dev time.

Did anyone get to play with the new characters yet if so what do they sound like? Are they only talking about frame rate and stuff? Also this might not get delayed as Transformed needed one badly but still came out on time.

Definitly feels odd to be right on the edge of the holiday release period and not have an actual date. Like they feel like there's a chance it could be in a shippable state by the end of the year but want to hold off on ramping up the marketing incase it has to be delayed.