Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - GamesCom Impressions

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Oh man, after reading all this,

[...]

then comes the "casual" thing... Good Lord, they're trying their best to make this an easy skip, huh? 

You read all this including the posts where people pointed out what casual means in the context th award was given in...

...And decided it was a bad thing?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 3

I'm okay with the idea that Ice mountain zone is connected to Icecap zone, the level in Sonic advance IS immedialty followed up by the Angel island level, so it is established ice mountain should be closely connected to, if not litteraly on Floating island.
I'm happy they put some actual thought into the geography of the levels again, that's great.

And I'm personally fine with the game being more casual and easier, ESPECIALLY if there will be a higher focus on random items and AI teamwork.
It seems this game will rely more on random chance again rather then pure driving skills.
So I'd be concerned if this game is difficult, it would require you not to have great driving skills, but great "praying you won't randomly explode all the time" skills to win.

So yeah, casual, that's good.

.... Of course it would have been better if the random luck component was dropped entirely and it was a pure racing game, but that ain't happening if the philosophy of the game is that Iizuka can play it with his kids.

• Fist Bump 1

10 hours ago, Mayor D said:

You read all this including the posts where people pointed out what casual means in the context th award was given in...

...And decided it was a bad thing?

No, but you didn't read my post either.

I was talking about being an easy skip in general, not just because the casual part.

Either way, it could be as hard as Dark Souls, this game is still shit.

I LMAO when I saw the whale 100% straight from Ocean View (Transformed) jumping over the track. Exact same model and animation. The team developing this game clearly don't know what they're doing, they're just throwing stuff and ideas for the sake of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jango said:

No, but you didn't read my post either.

I was talking about being an easy skip in general, not just because the casual part.

Either way, it could be as hard as Dark Souls, this game is still shit.

I LMAO when I saw the whale 100% straight from Ocean View (Transformed) jumping over the track. Exact same model and animation. The team developing this game clearly don't know what they're doing, they're just throwing stuff and ideas for the sake of it.

Yeah, that damn orca, looking like an orca and doing what it’s done in like, 3 other Sonic games! 

Man I don’t like how this game looks either, but this is some serious stretching. Reminds me of when Retro bagged on Mania FBZ because the plumbing wasn’t realistic. The game has enough issues without needing to make mountains out of molehills.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Yeah, that damn orca, looking like an orca and doing what it’s done in like, 3 other Sonic games! 

Man I don’t like how this game looks either, but this is some serious stretching. Reminds me of when Retro bagged on Mania FBZ because the plumbing wasn’t realistic. The game has enough issues without needing to make mountains out of molehills.

No man, it's just lazy. It's the same model and animation. And It doesn't even make sense in that level. Orcas always appeared in tropical zones, so no. They just had it on copy+paste. I bet Green Hill and Sky Sanctuary are next. Chemical Plant too. So many cool levels they could've picked. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Jango said:

No man, it's just lazy. It's the same model and animation. And It doesn't even make sense in that level. Orcas always appeared in tropical zones, so no. They just had it on copy+paste. I bet Green Hill and Sky Sanctuary are next. Chemical Plant too. So many cool levels they could've picked. 

If there was nothing wrong with the model or animation, why waste time on a new one? Just for the hell of it? 99% of people aren’t going to care, there’s only so many ways to model and animate a bloody orca. 

And orcas inhabit arctic seas as well as tropical ones. It makes perfect sense. You are absolutely reaching right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

32 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

If there was nothing wrong with the model or animation, why waste time on a new one? Just for the hell of it? 99% of people aren’t going to care, there’s only so many ways to model and animate a bloody orca. 

And orcas inhabit arctic seas as well as tropical ones. It makes perfect sense. You are absolutely reaching right now.

Yeah, so? Still doesn't justify using stuff from 6 years ago. I think not just me, but everyone wants a NEW game, not a bunch of re-used stuff, at least use some "new-old-stuff", like a zone or trope that haven't been overused to death... It's simple. 

This game clearly isn't for me, it's just a quick cash grab SEGA is pushing against us using the highly acclaimed All-Stars Racing devs as a reason to market it, like many here used to say before the game was announced "at least Sumo is making it, so it's gonna play fine". I have my doubts now. They didn't missed the point I guess, the game was supposed to be like this, a filler untill Sonic Team's next mess comes out.

• Promotion 1

Yeah, so? Still doesn't justify using stuff from 6 years ago. I think not just me, but everyone wants a NEW game, not a bunch of re-used stuff, at least use some "new-old-stuff", like a zone or trope that haven't been overused to death... It's simple.

If there’s nothing wrong with the orca model, why remake it? You still haven’t answered this. They wanted an orca in the level, they have a perfectly fine orca model - why not use it? It’s old, but it works perfectly and suits its purpose in TSR. Like, 2 people would notice if they bothered making a new one, because again there’s only so many ways to make an realistic orca model.

Shit, I wouldn’t be surprised if this were a new one and it’s just that the fact it’s an orca makes it look the same. Do you expect this orca to be green and have wings? It’s a sodding orca!

There are actual reasons to be annoyed about this game. This isn’t one of them. 

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Jango said:

That still doesn't explain why you went with the misconstruing of the term "casual" though. WHy is the game winning a "Casual" award a bad thing?

And yeah, the Orca complaint is a stretch to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Image result for team sonic racing ice mountain

There's an orca! 

There once was an Orcinus Orca named Nelly.

Who was rendered inside your telly!

He jumped over Sanic.

Who started to panic.

And crash landed in SSMB's belly!

Also the blimp looks like Opa-Opa. That's the first time I've seen that. That's cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Jovahexeon Megumin Academy said:

That still doesn't explain why you went with the misconstruing of the term "casual" though. WHy is the game winning a "Casual" award a bad thing?

And yeah, the Orca complaint is a stretch to say the least.

Observation =/= complaint ;) 

Uh huh...

No man, it's just lazy. It's the same model and animation. And It doesn't even make sense in that level.

Yeah, no. Just take the L. It was a silly complaint for the reasons I made clear. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well yeah,  no duh that observation and complaints are two different things. 

You observed an Orca appearing. Your complaint comes from subjective conclusions that you don't even have evidence for,  let alone a rational reason to lambaste in the first place. 

I mean,  I gget being overwhelmed with TSR, but if you have to these lengths, then it's a sign of scraping the bottom of the barrel.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Jango said:

Smart devs know when to develop new assets and when to reuse pre-existing ones. There's no point redoing an entire model of an orca when you can simply retweak and update it's textures a little to fit in this game. Otherwise you're wasting resources, time and money on something that isn't needed. The time to create a new Orca model could be better spent on something else.

Also, the Orca is from Unleashed, in the literal one ice level in the game, the idea that it doesn't fit because they need to be in tropical locations is silly.

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Uh huh...

Yeah, no. Just take the L. It was a silly complaint for the reasons I made clear. 

Again, it wasn't a complaint, I said I've LMAO when I saw it because it's the same exact orca from Transformed, animated the same way. It's jarring. Making sense or not, it doesn't add anything to the level, it feels that the "orca" was just a pre-set object that they decided to throw in to populate the level.

Also, in Holoska it's a blue whale, which is much more common in arctic areas. But hey, that's Sonic's world... I guess.

Any ways...

6 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Image result for team sonic racing ice mountain

There's an orca! 

Awesome. I hope he catches that dastardly hedgehog one day. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:34 AM, Pawn said:

I actually really like Blaze's car, looking at that video. The ears are odd, but they aren't really noticeable from behind. It looks like it was based on an old Rolls Royce Phantom (it even has a "Spirit of Ecstasy" - the mini statue - at the front of the bonnet), which is appropriate given her status:

image.png.03ab0a1356a324e211cb4828e10ea1bf.png

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Silver's car, I found out recently, also is a thing that exists. A Mercedes Benz Biome.

Dk0MnskWwAATZaA.jpg

A little late but, seeing these cars actually kind of makes me more annoyed about Amy's cart all over again. With Amy not using the classic VW bug as the basis for her cart as has always been the case for her, whether classic or modern, I have to wonder if her love for vintage things is being phased out or if the developers just don't think a classic VW works for their aesthetic.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:19 PM, Jango said:

Also, in Holoska it's a blue whale, which is much more common in arctic areas. But hey, that's Sonic's world... I guess.

On 8/24/2018 at 3:54 PM, Jango said:

And It doesn't even make sense in that level. Orcas always appeared in tropical zones, so no. 

https://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica fact file/wildlife/whales/orcas.php

Orcas are the largest of all carnivores on earth that feed on a wide variety of foods, they are found in almost all oceans, from the tropics to the Arctic and Antarctic where they will go deep into the pack-ice to hunt seals and penguins.

I really hope someone from the dev team has been reading our threads to see the reaction to the game and personally takes a moment to go to the designer who plonked the Transformed Orca into the ice track (where, due to budget constraints, the alternative would've been... nothing), and say "hey remember when you did that on a whim as a quick idea to liven up the track?  The fanbase talked about it for an entire page of a forum thread."

Or alternative scenario, it's such a distinctive animation that someone on the team painstakingly recreated both the model and said animation because the original was unusable for some reason, as a really subtle easter egg for Sonic Transformed fans, and the entire effort was for nothing lol.

• Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 1

I'm having a whale of a time reading this thread, guys. But I think we orca change the subject now.

• Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 1

IMO, the orca should be a playable character. That's an idea I can get behind. If a Boo and a Chomp in Mario Tennis can, why not the infamous orca?