Awoo.

Three Dead in Video Game Tournament Shooting

Bowbowis

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/us/jacksonville-madden-tournament-shooting/index.html

Florida saw another mass shooting yesterday as gunfire erupted during a Madden NFL '19 tournament in Jacksonville. The shooter, 24-year-old David "Bread" Katz of Baltimore opened fire with a handgun during a match, killing two people before shooting himself. Eleven more people were hospitalized in the aftermath of the event, nine with gunshot wounds. All are in stable condition according to a statement given by Sheriff Mike Williams. Katz was a competitive gamer who was known for having won several Madden Tournaments in 2017, police have not yet given a possible motive. Audio of the incident was captured by a live-stream hosted on Twitch.

My condolences go to the victim's friends and families.

"No, we don't need gun regulations".

I mean, how many more shootings should happen until they realize the problem and attempt to solve it?

And I hope they don't try to blame videogames for this since, you know, Madden and guns have nothing to do with each other.

But anyway. It's sad news. My condolences to the families.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Ice Vec said:

"No, we don't need gun regulations".

I mean, how many more shootings should happen until they realize the problem and attempt to solve it?

And I hope they don't try to blame videogames for this since, you know, Madden and guns have nothing to do with each other.

But anyway. It's sad news. My condolences to the families.

I think when people get on one issue. First its get rid of ars  which  not many know what a ar is.  to gun regulation of anything. This was a loser who lost at the game got mad. Had a regular handgun and killed two people. People get shot every day yet this ones getting more attention to drive a narrative and it sucks. They are not even buried and people already jumped  to guns are evil. No the loser who did it was.  it's sad this gets more attention then say the dads brother who shot his brothers baby this weekend in my city

But that's just me

What exact regulations do you want? 

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

Most people just want regulations that mean only responsible gun owners can purchase/access them.  Proper vetting, proper training, psychological exams, proper licenses that need to be renewed every few years, no access to firearms that are specifically designed to mow down mass amounts of people in a military setting (not applicable to this particular disaster but all the same).

The majority basically want a situation that shouldn't affect a responsible gun owner's ability to own a gun - if they're actually responsible and don't just see gun ownership as a power-trip.

It be nice if there were a easy way to do such. I just find it tiring to go to game sites and see bickering with only 2 things.  1. Guns are not at fault and 2. Guns should be taken just look how peaceful Sweden is comments

3 hours ago, Ice Vec said:

I honestly am anticipating that someone will try and explain how Madden is corrupting their children and making them suicidal serial killers. When a shooting or any act of violence is involved. And it so happens that videogames were in proximity to this. The immediate reaction is to blame the videogames.

It honestly would be nice if people didn't do this and were instead in favor of seeing if the person committing horrendous acts had mental issues. Sadly, its not how the media rolls here in America.

53 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

It be nice if there were a easy way to do such. I just find it tiring to go to game sites and see bickering with only 2 things.  1. Guns are not at fault and 2. Guns should be taken just look how peaceful Sweden is comments

It would be nice if there was an easy way yeah.  But there isn't.  Making these changes will be hard, and... well I was gonna say the people in charge of america are lazy or cowardly but that's not really the case.  They just don't care because it doesn't affect them because they're all rich pieces of shit that don't go to the public spaces where mass shootings happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

I live in the UK, and everyone here think it's absolutely nuts that so many Americans fight so aggressively for gun rights. Both people on the left and on the right in the UK feel this way.

Yes,  the criminals are the ones responsible, not the guns, but they wouldn't be shooting anyone if they didn't have guns would they? Not exactly a difficult proposition. And while we have knife crime in the UK, I'd way rather have that then gun crime, London with guns would be a horrifying idea. I've heard that the US has higher knife crime per ratio than the UK anyway.

Why one earth would you ever need a gun? To defend yourself? That happens so rarely because it's fucking scary, and every time these shootings happen I never seem to see the 'good guy with the gun' being Clint Eastwood and taking everyone out. Access to guns just gives criminals more reign to cause terror.

I think the US should just ban all guns, amend the constitution. I find the fact that so many Americans aggressively defend the right to own military equipment, weapons designed and used for killing people, is blatantly absurd. In fact, saying that all guns should be banned is considered really radical in the US, which I think is insane.

And before someone says shooting ranges, we have that in the UK. Guns are still illegal. Haven't had a mass shooting in decades.

15 hours ago, Plasme said:

I live in the UK, and everyone here think it's absolutely nuts that so many Americans fight so aggressively for gun rights. Both people on the left and on the right in the UK feel this way.

Yes,  the criminals are the ones responsible, not the guns, but they wouldn't be shooting anyone if they didn't have guns would they? Not exactly a difficult proposition. And while we have knife crime in the UK, I'd way rather have that then gun crime, London with guns would be a horrifying idea. I've heard that the US has higher knife crime per ratio than the UK anyway.

Why one earth would you ever need a gun? To defend yourself? That happens so rarely because it's fucking scary, and every time these shootings happen I never seem to see the 'good guy with the gun' being Clint Eastwood and taking everyone out. Access to guns just gives criminals more reign to cause terror.

I think the US should just ban all guns, amend the constitution. I find the fact that so many Americans aggressively defend the right to own military equipment, weapons designed and used for killing people, is blatantly absurd. In fact, saying that all guns should be banned is considered really radical in the US, which I think is insane.

And before someone says shooting rages, we have that in the UK. Guns are still illegal. Haven't had a mass shooting in decades.

That's why thankfully the UK has no say in the US. While no one needs a  military style gun your not going to ban guns in the US that's just not going to happen. *plus it was a normal handheld gun.* And its cause all your media does is paint the usa as some scary gun place with a population of 65mil to our 326mil. There are stories all the time of people using guns to stop home invaders.  would be rapist in people's homes going  for a guys daughter.  helping to stop a church shooter.  but like all stories you push down positive good things cause negative things draw more ad views

I'm not in favour of handguns either, I think all guns should be banned. And while I agree that guns aren't going to be outright banned in the US anytime soon, I think that's a sorry state of affairs. Handguns are military weapons, they are designed to kill people. Soldiers use handguns as side arms and always have.

Let me ask a simple question. Is the benefit of a few cases of people defending themselves and their families with guns worth the huge amount of gun crime in the US? Because I can't fathom how it could even be even remotely worth it.

Tbh the gun debate is an eternal loop of

• “we need strict gun controls” → “but it’s already strict? *explains process they went through to get a gun*” → “more strict!” → “how?” →"*idea*" → "that already exists?"
  • “Ban all guns” → “what about the million that already exist?” → “hand it over” → “do you think people will  actually do that?” → "yes" →"what if some of them don't?"
  • “At least ban the really dangerous ones” → “they’re already banned?”
  • “We need to prevent criminals from getting guns” → “those people get them illegally anyway?”
  • “Restricting guns would decrease murder rate” → “*insert murder rates by other weapons in gun-banned countries*”
  • “Well there won’t be any more mass-shootings!” → “Yeah like that time in 2016 a man walked in and killed 19 people while severely injured 26 using a bag of knives in Japan”
  • “Restricting guns would decrease crime rate” → “Won’t it increase since criminals will know people DON’T have guns to protect themselves?”
  • “You don’t need guns! What do you use it for?” → “from burglars, rapists and other criminals who usually have guns illegally anyway, those in countryside with wild animals... ”
  • “There’s only a few cases where guns actually protected people! It’s not worth it!” → “Well, say that to those who were actually saved by guns. You saying they should've died?”

I'm more concerned about the background of the shooter. A normal human will not react to losing a game with getting a gun and shooting random people. Usually it's someone who is mentally ill (I hate using that word), already showed sign of problems in the past, and or in some kind of dangerous group. And the problem is that society doesn't know how to deal with them. They say "well he was crazy" "he's a loner, we don't know anything about him" or "he's a good kid, we don't know why this happened", and that's it. That one school shooting raised a lot of anti-gun movements, but many ignored how the shooter was already violent as a kid and the authorities did not handle him properly (my memory may be vague though). Even without guns, those people would've eventually used a knife, a handmade bomb, chemicals, or anything they can get their hands on.

5 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Tbh the gun debate is an eternal loop of

• “we need strict gun controls” → “but it’s already strict? *explains process they went through to get a gun*” → “more strict!” → “how?” →"*idea*" → "that already exists?"
  • “Ban all guns” → “what about the million that already exist?” → “hand it over” → “do you think people will  actually do that?” → "yes" →"what if some of them don't?"
  • “At least ban the really dangerous ones” → “they’re already banned?”
  • “We need to prevent criminals from getting guns” → “those people get them illegally anyway?”
  • “Restricting guns would decrease murder rate” → “*insert murder rates by other weapons in gun-banned countries*”
  • “Well there won’t be any more mass-shootings!” → “Yeah like that time in 2016 a man walked in and killed 19 people while severely injured 26 using a bag of knives in Japan”
  • “Restricting guns would decrease crime rate” → “Won’t it increase since criminals will know people DON’T have guns to protect themselves?”
  • “You don’t need guns! What do you use it for?” → “from burglars, rapists and other criminals who usually have guns illegally anyway, those in countryside with wild animals... ”
  • “There’s only a few cases where guns actually protected people! It’s not worth it!” → “Well, say that to those who were actually saved by guns. You saying they should've died?”

I'm more concerned about the background of the shooter. A normal human will not react to losing a game with getting a gun and shooting random people. Usually it's someone who is mentally ill (I hate using that word), already showed sign of problems in the past, and or in some kind of dangerous group. And the problem is that society doesn't know how to deal with them. They say "well he was crazy" "he's a loner, we don't know anything about him" or "he's a good kid, we don't know why this happened", and that's it. That one school shooting raised a lot of anti-gun movements, but many ignored how the shooter was already violent as a kid and the authorities did not handle him properly (my memory may be vague though). Even without guns, those people would've eventually used a knife, a handmade bomb, chemicals, or anything they can get their hands on.

^ you got it

9 hours ago, Plasme said:

I'm not in favour of handguns either, I think all guns should be banned. And while I agree that guns aren't going to be outright banned in the US anytime soon, I think that's a sorry state of affairs. Handguns are military weapons, they are designed to kill people. Soldiers use handguns as side arms and always have.

Let me ask a simple question. Is the benefit of a few cases of people defending themselves and their families with guns worth the huge amount of gun crime in the US? Because I can't fathom how it could even be even remotely worth it.

Yet again its not that huge in proportion to our size. I fear a odor then driver on a cell than a gun. A handgun is not military style. My lord