Awoo.

Streets of Rage 4 "Grand UPPAH!"

Badnik Mechanic

Well, this came out of nowhere.
It looks impressive, a natural evolution of the franchise. Axel with a beard is kinda surreal though, lol

It seems SEGA is on a good record recently (with Sonic Forces being the only major disappointment) with many IPs revived in some capacity and localization to titles who noone expected. Hope they'll keep things like this.
Seriously, if this goes on people may actually start hoping again for the localization of Phantasy Star Online 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's worth noting that this is by the same developer as the Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake. I don't have any experience with SOR but I am immediately interested in this because of them. Sign me up.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Sean said:

It's worth noting that this is by the same developer as the Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake. I don't have any experience with SOR but I am immediately interested in this because of them.

If that's the case. There's a small chance this may get a physical release.

That company has partner with limited run games on a number of projects.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, that's a pleasant surprise. I wonder if Alex and Blaze are the only playable character? In the sequels, you could have 4-player co-op, if I recall correctly. Would online co-op be possible too?

This is awesome! I was not expecting this at all, but it's one of my most pleasant surprises in a long time. Streets of Rage 2 was one of my favorite games from the early '90s (probably my favorite Genesis/Mega Drive title that doesn't involve a blue hedgehog), so seeing it come back after all this time is just great. Definitely looking forward to this.

Just now, DanJ86 said:

Wow, that's a pleasant surprise. I wonder if Alex and Blaze are the only playable character? In the sequels, you could have 4-player co-op, if I recall correctly. Would online co-op be possible too?

I think it was and has only ever been 2 player local, despite there being loads of characters. I might be wrong with that be I know I only ever played 2 play co OP back in the day.

Now the ports on the PS3 and Xbox 360 did offer online co-op but it was horrendous. I think the recently release classics collection also offer online co-op but it's limited to 2 players.

Looks very interesting. But the quiet announcement, and the fact that SEGA is SEGA makes me cautious about this. I won't get more excited until we know more.

Sega probably isn't even directly involved. DotEmu seems to be the publisher much like with Dragon's Trap.

Streets of Rage 2 was my go to game on the Genesis next to Sonic 2. This announcement makes me really happy so it's a day one purchase for me. 

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

Sega probably isn't even directly involved. DotEmu seems to be the publisher much like with Dragon's Trap.

They didn't even mention this on any of their social media accounts.

13 minutes ago, Sean said:

Which is just... So bizarre. Does SEGA just have no interest in supporting their IPs?

It sounds like they're licensing their not-recently used IP's to minimize any financial risk to them.

Makes sense, an IP not used recently, therefore they're unsure if it'll even sell well, so license it off so that everyone is happy.

36 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Which is just... So bizarre. Does SEGA just have no interest in supporting their IPs?

Not the old ones anyway.

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

If i have to guess, they may have finally understood that outsourcing the development and publishing to other companies while retaining the reins of the IP itself like with Bayonetta 2-3 and Shenmue III is the best case scenario for them because they get an income and can use the IP for crossovers without having to get their hands dirty. Similar to Square-Enix' Collective project wich recently has allowed the Fear Effect IP to grow and be revived.

I personally don't mind as long as the resulting new games are good enough. I'll take a situation like this over SEGA cancelling pitches over pitches like they did so far (especially for Streets of Rage) every day.

• Thumbs Up 4

Me RN

holy_shiiiii.gif

If there is one thing i wasn't expecting to read when i woke up this morning is this,

Instant YES PLEASE!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Wow, outta nowhere.

I recall Sega expressing interest in bringing back their (classic) IPs but I've noticed that quite a few cases here are Sega loaning the keys to another publisher/developer and telling them “eh, we've sat on the IP for years, and we have zero plans to do anything with it now or in the future...so have fun!”

So far, we have:

- Bayonetta with Platinum/Nintendo (B2/B3)
- Wonder Boy with Lizardcube/DotEmu (Dragon's Trap remake)
- Shenmue with Ys.Net (Shenmue 3)
And now Streets of Rage with Lizardcube/DotEmu again, alongside Crush Card Games. (I do wonder if these guys considered calling Bomber Games, considering they did that SoR Remake that Sega took down.)

On the topic of classic Sega IPs revivals, I also can't forget about Toejam and Earl receiving Back in the Groove very soon; although in that case, HumaNature Games has always owned the IP IIRC.

Hopefully SoR 4 turns out good. It's been one of the most requested sequels to Sega's IPs for years, and it would be a big shame to waste that “4” number on a poor project (*cough*Sonic 4*cough*).

I wonder what classic Sega IP gets brought back from the grave next? Comix Zone and Vectorman would be really cool.... (hint hint) 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not a fan of Streets of Rage, but this is cool news for its fans and I'm always interested in a new entry in a Sega franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Openly welcome this decision to let someone else develop it. SEGA just allowing their old franchises to live again is one of the best decisions ever, and I'll continue to hope that a Jet Set Radio revival eventually happens with Hideki Naganuma over the music once more.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is wonderful news, SOR was my favorite beat-em-up as a kid. I just hope there are more than two playable characters. There almost certainly will be, two is far too little.

My boi Yuzo must make a comeback or no sale 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yuzo Koshiro MUST be the composer.

I've been so spoiled by the remake from Bombergames I'm hoping this is even better.

Blaze looking as fine as ever and Axel looking like a few years passed. Wondering where everyone else is? Hope Adam comes back and not as a prisoner or cutscene man.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Space☆Yeow said:

I wonder what classic Sega IP gets brought back from the grave next? Comix Zone and Vectorman would be really cool.... (hint hint) 

I second Vectorman getting a comeback. Also, this looks dope, so if it gets a limited physical release and scores well, I'll cough up the rainbow for Streets 4.

• Thumbs Up 1