Awoo.

Streets of Rage 4 "Grand UPPAH!"

Badnik Mechanic

8 hours ago, RadicalLaRuby said:

Yuzo Koshiro MUST be the composer.

I've been so spoiled by the remake from Bombergames I'm hoping this is even better.

Blaze looking as fine as ever and Axel looking like a few years passed. Wondering where everyone else is? Hope Adam comes back and not as a prisoner or cutscene man.

For that matter, we need to know what happened to Skates, Max, Roo, and Gil.  And possibly even Ash.  A part of me wants to see it done similar to StC where Max took up law enforcement but eventually backed out of it when the Syndicate started to flair up.

Streets of rage had and still has a following.  I cant recall people lately asking for vectorman. He was meant more as a tech show off in the 90s.

Streets of Rage has already been developed by other studios like SoR2 was developed by Ancient Games.

12 hours ago, Jango said:

My only possible reaction is: YISSSSSSSSSSSS.

What is Yuzo Koshiro up to these days?

Yuzo Koshiro mentioned on twitter that he can not talk about SoR4 for now, I guess he is talking to Sega to get involved in the project.

On the other hand, SoR music composers have always been Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima. I hope the two of them come back to compose the music of SoR4

Well this has been an extremely pleasant surprise. Also, yeah Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima would be ace to have on this soundtrack. 

Damn. This was one of my dad's favourite games to play co-op with me on the Genesis too and it's coming out after he passed away. It was Streets of Rage and Golden Axe for when he wanted to play a beat em up with me and we always had a blast. This could have come a lot sooner for me, shit. 

• 6 months later...

A new gameplay trailer dropped yesterday. Looks great , though they STILL haven't announced what platforms it will be released on. I really hope I can't  smell a mobile only game. EDIT: Somehow didn't see the post above this , apologies.

Played it at PAX East. It feels exactly like it should. Simple controls with X being attack (press for combo), y for the heavy attack that uses HP, A for Jump, and X+Y for the new Star Move that replaces calling your Cop friend from SoR 1. Couldn't really hear the music, but they said it was a placeholder anyway (hopefully they'll get Yuzo for it), but I certainly could take in the visuals. They look great in motion, much like in the Wonderboy 3 Remake, and every attack hits with real force. The boss of the demo was pretty interesting, a woman with electric attacks named Diva (she's in that trailer), the other player and I kind of made quick work of her though, because you can REALLY juggle in 4. My partner (playing Axel), smacked her over my way and I got in a full combo plus Vertical Slash (I was Blaze) and CANCELLED it into the Star Attack; it took out half her HP. Ran into a glitch where I accidentally grabbed the other player and the guy had to do some keystrokes to skip us to the next area (Diva's arena), but this is probably a really early build and since we spotted it I'm sure they'll be looking at fixing it.

And it definitely is not a mobile only game, we were playing it running on Windows PC. It MAY be PC exclusive, but I kind of doubt that considering LizardCube put WonderBoy 3 on everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hate to be the negative nancy, but..this does not impress me at all. And that's coming from someone who loves SOR 2 and 3.

I'm glad a new entry is finally being made, but I would expect a bit more, especially after all this time. This does not feel like an evolution in any way. You could say "Well, look at the visuals!", that's pretty much the only thing that seems somewhat up-to-date, but even that doesn't impress me at all to be honest. The envorionments just look kinda dull, not the vibrant look I'd expect from the series. Not blown away by the animations either.

The biggest let down tho is by far the gameplay. So far the only new to the 'official' games is the ability to juggle the enemies in the air, but that has been done in various Beats of Rage mods over the years, so technically it's not new at all. I don't see anything here that couldn't have been done on the Mega Drive/Genesis almost 30 years ago. In fact, it looks a lot more like a SOR 2 HD Remake than anything new. They haven't even showed the rolling mechanic to quickly switch lanes, running or the running attacks they introduced in SOR 3. Is this actually gonna be a step backwards when it comes to the previous games or what?

Now they might be holding back the new stuff for later reveals, but so far I played Beats of Rage mods that felt way more fresh and interesting, that actually added new things and built on the previous SOR games instead of just being a carbon copy of the old games.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So rather than start a new post about this game, and since the latest post isn't that old, I don't think this qualifies as a necro so I'll just post on this one lol.

Looks like many of us old boys are hyped for this, I certainly am (ADAM'S BACK!). I haven't got the chance to play it yet, but from some of the gameplay video's that I've seen, I can make some assumptions that I'm sure many can qualify for me.

What I'm curious about is the direction they may take with both supporting the IP in the future long term, and other gameplay aspects.

For example, 

1) Do you think they'll have a DLC plan mapped out, or is LizardCube more of a "ship it and forget it" type company? Would be great to get a classic fighter DLC with Young Axel and Blaze, etc., plus hmmm...DLC character packs (if not included, Young Skate, Zan and Roo much? lol)

2) Gameplay wise, I'm assuming they're going with more of a SOR2 feel approach, or at best, a small mix between SOR2 AND SOR3. It doesn't look like you can run, but you can blitz forward (from what I saw with Adam). I wonder if the "weight" is similar to SOR3 though or does it feel more heavy like SOR2.

3) Correct me if I'm wrong, but specials now have a commit damage feature right? Aka, keep using special, and refills health over time as long as you dont get hit. If hit, damage is committed.

As far as assumptions, the remaining character feels like a Max build, but he has a cybernetic it seems, so I'm guessing he's a new character. But would it be something if he's either Zan or Max? That'd be kinda trippy lol.  

Sega is redeeming themselves after having pulled down the old but fantastic Streets of Rage V5.0 remake, that's for sure. Streets of Rage as a whole for the past decades went through serious development hell, with several gameplay concepts being proposed, even turned into games, yet scrapped for whatever reason. This looks perfect, my only complaints are dumb shit that any SOR fan who has been playing the game since his childhood would think up of, like Shiva not doing a kip up to get back on his feet again. That's literally it, insignificant minor details like that. Maybe I wish more old characters came back, but seeing Adam return is amazing. It gives me hope we could get some more games out of this once dead franchise. The game looks great and the new character wants cool, but I want Max, Zan and Skate back. Roo was always my least favorite character, could never do good with him, but hell bring him back, too.

Lol at the Micro text.

I loved him until I found out how to unlock Shiva. Then I stopped Shiva when I found out how to unlock Super Axel XD. Hell, they might as well go for broke and bring back everyone (including a revamped Ash lol). I know I'm going to enjoy it regardless of it being "perfect" or not. And yeah, I hope this will make SEGA pay attention to more of their old franchises especially this. Heck, if this game is a spring board title for a continuation, can you imagine what the next game will be like?! Awesome :D

But yeah, I watched Streets of Rage Remake be developed from the ground up. At one point, I was even making a fan game along side theirs (tldr; didn't go well). Excellent remake and wish SEGA did something with the source/game to port it and maybe hire/pay the guy for it. Ohh well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on Facebook but didn't watched in full, impressed no one posted here:

And now the crew is complete. Loved the song, not that hyped for the game but certainly will check-out (Maybe on promotion, idk how expansive the game will come).

Getting major Jax vibes haha He's basically Zan and Max fused, nice.

But where the hell is mah boy Skate?

And yeah, the music rocks, bro!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Jango said:

This is the best thing ever, holy shit:

Jesus H. Christ, just GIVE ME THIS GAME NOW

So once again, relying more on nostalgia than actually trying push the franchise forward. I mean the extra choices are nice, but if I wanted to have the SOR 2-3 experience, I'd go and play those games, Streets of Rage Remake, or the dozens of free Beats of Rage mods. Having the original sprites among the HD graphics just looks so out of place, and in any other game I bet they would get flack for it for being lazy asses. This game is still not really convincing me it's worth my money.

People can complain 'Nostalgia' all they like but there's folks that have waited over two decades for this game and I'm gonna a lap it up.

5 hours ago, Tarnish said:

So once again, relying more on nostalgia than actually trying push the franchise forward. I mean the extra choices are nice, but if I wanted to have the SOR 2-3 experience, I'd go and play those games, Streets of Rage Remake, or the dozens of free Beats of Rage mods. Having the original sprites among the HD graphics just looks so out of place, and in any other game I bet they would get flack for it for being lazy asses. This game is still not really convincing me it's worth my money.

Well. This IS a new game, this IS a sequel to SOR3. It has 3 returning characters and 2 completely new. It also features a brand new score, levels and story, you know, like a new game would. This retro mode is a bonus, and a genius one IMO. Introduce people to SOR1-3 while they play SOR4. 

The sprites obviously look out of place, but that's barely an issue. Perhaps they'll eventually add Skate, Max, Shiva and the other characters redesigned and hand-drawn just like the rest.

I'm not sure what could be made differently to fit into your "pushing the franchise forward" speech TBH. This feels like the way to go to a lot of people, myself included.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

18 hours ago, Tarnish said:

What do you even want or expect out of this? Cause you've got a whole new game here, one that's a full 2020 quality sequel to the Mega Drive series. New art style, new characters, new gameplay and... a few old characters and old don't music making a bonus return in a nostalgic throwback mode that's neither out of place nor unwelcome in the context of this being a sequel to a franchise that's been dead for 20 years.

You know why this isn't getting slack? Because it's not lazy. Not even close. This is the first new SOR game since the Mega Drive games. It's got a handrawn art style, five regular playable characters, music from a range of industry-acclaimed composers and looks like a true continuation of the classic series with no expense spared. Everything they've shown us to date is brand new and not banking on nostalgia in the slightest, but the moment that they drop this trailer featuring a bunch of nostalgia-based bonus characters you cry that that's what they're relying on? Puh-lease. Your criticism is the only thing that's lazy here. What do you expect from a side-scrolling beat 'em up that's a direct sequel to a Mega Drive game?

I've seen plenty of people argue that they don't like the art style or express concerns about the controls and combat. But all that I'm seeing from you in this post and previous is an attempt to write off the game as something that it's not.

• Thumbs Up 6

20 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Sorry but what kind of tosh hot take $10 youtuber nonsense is this? 

This isn't a case of a simple sprite swap on the pre existing characters, they're had to re-code and redesign an entire new cast for the game based on the previous three titles and even create new movesets to account for the new combat system in the 4th game which itself is running off an entirely different programming language let alone game engine.

And we're calling them lazy asses because the art style doesn't look that right since it's based off the older 16bit sprite designs?

• Thumbs Up 3