Awoo.

Streets of Rage 4 "Grand UPPAH!"

Badnik Mechanic

The game is launching on April 30th, available day-on via Xbox Game Pass and will cost you $24.99 for a digital US copy (pricing for other regions isn't yet available). The PvP mode is returning too, this time supporting 4 player and 4 teams.

I'm really excited for this, although I won't be playing it at launch. I'll be holding off until the physical release can be delivered, many months after the digital lauch and probably longer still with the way that COVID-19 is affecting things. Pre-orders close one week after after the digital launch, so there's plenty of time to order it yet if you're still mulling it over. It's annoying, but hopefully won't affect me too much. I'll want to play through this game with my brother, and with a lockdown in effect it'll be a long time before I get to see him.

Basically two weeks to go! Day 1 for me. I had the intention to play it locally with my brother in law, because he grew with Streets of Rage on the Mega Drive (while I have only played it years later through emulators). 

But goddamn coronavirus ruined our plan 😕

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna be THAT guy.

Tried it out today, and so far (got to Stage 3 with Axel), major disappointment. As suspected from the videos, there is no run or dodge, only for certain characters, so right off the bat, the game feels EXTREMELY dated compared to...well, basically every other beat em up out there today, including SOR3, SORR, and a ton of Beats of Rage mods. So, have fun not or barely being able to dodge enemies/obstacles/bosses and having to chase down much faster enemies. Because apparently, that's something everyone missed from SOR 1 and 2.

The 'big extra special amazeballs' move they loved to show off in their videos...you get one at the start of each stage, and you can collect another one during stage, if you can find it. So, basically it works just like the special move in SOR 1...dunno who the hell missed that type of special move, but here you are, you have it again. Oh, and it feels like it barely deals any damage, at least Alex's one on normal barely did any more damage, if at all, than a regular combo attack. The other, regular special move(s), it costs life, every time...no stamina, or a power bar that recharges, it drains life ALL the time. Yes, you can 'steal' that life back after the attack if you are lucky, but still...feels kinda convoluted.

Oh, and the best part: your special moves can now apparently be interrupted...by basically any enemy. Certain enemies you attack (Hello, shielded police officers from stage 2, you m*therfuckers), the enemy behind you, and of course the bosses. So, the one thing you could always count on when you were in a jam, you can no longer count on. Why, out of all the things they could have changed, did they decide on THAT, will forever remain a mystery, but here you go.

Picking up items is now on a separate button, which is not a big deal, except that the same button throws the weapon too, so if you are not 100% aligned up to an item when trying to pick it up, you can end up throwing your weapon instead. Nice..

If you were hoping for specials combos like in certain Beats of Rage mods, looks like there's no such thing.

So if you want a game that feels 25 years too late to the beat em up party, Streets of Rage 4 is for you.

14 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I'm gonna be THAT guy.

Tried it out today, and so far (got to Stage 3 with Axel), major disappointment.

You've been THAT guy since day one. How can you even be disappointed when all you've done is talk smack about the game since it revealed? You decided you didn't like this game a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

You've been THAT guy since day one. How can you even be disappointed when all you've done is talk smack about the game since it revealed? You decided you didn't like this game a long time ago.

I didn't one day decide to hate the next Streets of Rage game whatever it might end up be like. I looked at what they were showing, and I am now even playing it (got to Stage 6 since my last post) to give it the fairest chance possible, and I'm giving my honest opinion about it.

I guess excuse me for judging it for what it is and not kissing its ass and praising it to the high heavens just because it has the Streets of Rage name on it, like apparently everybody else. Were there a game exactly like this but with a different name, barely anyone would give a shit about it.

This game isn't a spectacular return of a long dormant franchise. It brings nothing new or fresh to the table, it's just the exact same thing from 25+ years ago. Exact same characters, exact same moves, exact same enemies for the most part (that wear the exact same clothes, even tho 10 years have passed according to the game itself). In fact, it brings things back that should have stayed in the past, purely because of nostalgia. Heck, this game feels dated compared to SOR 3, the previous game in the franchise. The genre has moved on since then. Whatever few new things it brings, it's just cause for frustration.

Some more stuff since then: yeah, having enemies with guns, especially multiple ones, or characters that constantly throw projectiles that can stun you for multiple seconds is just fucked up when your character moves like a snail.

Also, you get 3 lives, and then it's game over, back to the beginning of the stage you go. Fuck...that...the credits system was so much better.

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

I guess excuse me for judging it for what it is and not kissing its ass and praising it to the high heavens just because it has the Streets of Rage name on it, like apparently everybody else.

Oh please do not be that kind of snob again.

I guess excuse me for judging it for what it is and not kissing its ass and praising it to the high heavens just because it has the Streets of Rage name on it, like apparently everybody else.

It brings nothing new or fresh to the table, it's just the exact same thing from 25+ years ago.

lol I haven't even played it and I know this is bullshit.

2 hours ago, Tarnish said:

So if you want a game that feels 25 years too late to the beat em up party, Streets of Rage 4 is for you.

25 years ago I was at home playing the original trilogy on my Mega Drive.

Not even 25 hours ago I was playing SOR 4 on my PS4, literally every single thing you've said is not only wrong it's borderline anti fanboy clownish. At worst it's comically misleading, and at best it's just completely wrong. That's how bad your statements are, they're fundamentally incorrect on every level.

===================

Anyway...

Thoughts on SOR 4, it's a really really good game, but... I prefer the 2nd one. Now this doesn't mean the game is bad, in fact it's REALLY good. The problem for me is my preference I prefer the art direction of the original trilogy to this one, I prefer the soundtrack of 2, I wish that the pickup button wasn't the weapon throw button. 

I think that the game might be the superior SOR, if you play in co-op and your partner is really on the same wavelength as you, some of the combat possibilities I've seen are truly amazing, but even solo you can pull off some amazing combos and feel unstoppable. 

For most people who played the original trilogy, either back on the original hardware or via modern collection releases, I think it's really going to come down to a preference as opposed to 'this is clearly inferior to this one'.

But just to end by addressing one more nonsense claim....

you can collect another [Star] during stage, if you can find it

Isn't misleading people fun?

This is literally only true for... Stage 1! Because they teach you how to use it and what it's for mid-way through that level! I've got to stage 6 so far yet I've made a point not to use these and you can easily find 3-4 stars on some stages. 

The reason why they don't give you loads of them is because they make you invincible for a few seconds deal huge damage to multiple enemies in range... And the biggest thing that makes these so powerful unlike your special moves, they do not cost health when activated!

Ever heard of this thing called game design? Yeah this is one of those things that's got you so rattled.

• Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Tornado said:

lol I haven't even played it and I know this is bullshit.

Well, I played through the story now, and...can't say I saw anything new. There are some new enemies mixed in with the old ones, but they act a lot like ones we've seen in older games. Enemies just shooting/throwing shit at you from across the screen while running circles around your slow ass character, enemies charging at you from across the screen. There are some new locations, but nothing spectacular, and like that matters in a beat em up when the locations are 99% just for decoration.

Character wise, we get a young girl with a guitar instead of young kid on skates. Instead of the big burly guy and the old robot guy, we get a mix of the two. Technically new, but not really.

Gameplay wise, there are no new mechanics. You have a 'star' special move system like there was in SOR1 and a special move system of from SOR2, with the tweak that you can steal back the life the move cost until you get hurt. And you have an aerial special move but I didn't find that too useful.

The only somewhat new things is that enemies now bounce back from the edge of the screen instead of flying out, and you can juggle the enemies a bit more. But this also applies to you, so prepare to get your ass beaten more as well. Floyd's grapple move is kinda fun, but still doesn't make up for the lack of run or dodge, and it's useless against bosses.

So you definitely don't have to learn anything new going into this game, because it's mostly stuff you've seen already. Except maybe that your special moves are a lot less useful.

This game would have made a fun fan game or mod. But as an official game and continuation of the franchise, it's pretty disappointing and lackcluster. That opening animation is probably the best thing in the entire game.

5 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Gameplay wise, there are no new mechanics.

lol I haven't even played it and I absolutely know this is bullshit. For fuck's sake, at this point you're not even agreeing with your original post in this thread when you rushed in to tell everyone how unimpressed you were.

Honestly, what do you have to gain by making shit up? Are you that desperate for your initial SPICY HOT TAKES to not look foolish that you feel it necessary to lie about what the game has to prospective players?

Here's a fun fact: No one gives a shit what fan games and mods to the original games did; just like no one gave a shit that a lot of the stuff in Mania had been done by hacks and fan games already. This is an official game that had an extended development cycle by a development team that put a lot of effort into recreating the feel of one of the best games in the genre; all the way down to breaking down the gameplay and AI frame by frame and doing it as much justice as possible. It's a 2020 official entry in one of the top tier franchises from a genre that, other than the Scott Pilgrim game, has been fucking dead for 25 years. They gave it high quality hand animated artwork, fully drawn 2D backgrounds, an elaborate lighting engine and a soundtrack from half a dozen musicians that each have decades of experience in the industry. You're perfectly free to dismiss them as just being "lazy asses" who are cashing in on nostalgia for making it play like a beloved game, and everyone else is perfectly free to take that as a statement of a person completely clueless to its design who (and perhaps I'm just guessing here) never got over Sega having SoR:R taken down and is taking it out on on a separate party.

I'm certainly sorry you for some reason spent your money on it anyway even after you spent so much time coming in this thread just to say how shit it looked and loudly proclaiming that you saw no reason to buy it, but that's your problem. It's not the problem of the people who have bought it and are enjoying it, or the reviewers that are giving it high scores and lots of press coverage. It's especially not the problem of the people in this thread. So stuff like this:

9 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Yeah, that's enough of that. You don't get to act like everyone enjoying the game has another arm coming out of their ass when your justification is stuff that's so laughably untrue that even I know it's garbage based on my entire experience with the game of "watching the two videos Digital Foundry made on it."

• Thumbs Up 4

6 hours ago, Tarnish said:

I'm gonna be THAT guy.

Hate to be the negative nancy,

Well at least you’re consistent on that pretentious sounding front.

Everything else you’ve said sounds completely opposite from what the actual game entails from what everyone else here has been saying 

6 hours ago, Tornado said:

Honestly, what do you have to gain by making shit up?

Do enlighten me, what part of what I said was made up? Are there mechanics of the game I somehow missed or misunderstood?

You really believe if someone has something negative to say about this game, it MUST be because he's making shit up for attention's sake, to make drama or something? That it can't POSSIBLY be my honest, genuine opinions?

If you want praise that much, here are things I DID like about the game:
- I like that enemies bounce back from the edge of the screen instead of flying offscreen. No more waiting for enemies to crawl back onscreen again (tho this means that every enemy alive is always onscreen...no few seconds of breather to handle other enemies until they get onscreen again).
- I like that the character doesn't go on 'autopilot' at the end of a section, so I can pick up any health/weapons lying around I might not had time for before and proceed at my own leisure.
- I like that there's no time limit for the stages.

6 hours ago, KHCast said:

Everything else you’ve said sounds completely opposite from what the actual game entails from what everyone else here has been saying

So this place must be an echo chamber of nothing but praise for the game, or what? If I wanted to get attention from clickbait, I'd have started a Youtube channel long ago. I think there are a lot of people so hungry just for another SOR game, they're willing to accept anything at this point.

And I'm not saying it's a terrible game by any stretch of the imagination. But for a franchise with such a historic past, for a new entry after more than 20 years, this feels so...negligible. This game could have been easily on the Saturn, both graphics, mechanics and gameplay wise.

If you just want to relive the past, it's perfect, but I was hoping for an evolution of the franchise after all this time.

You really believe if someone has something negative to say about this game, it MUST be because he's making shit up for attention's sake, to make drama or something? That it can't POSSIBLY be my honest, genuine opinions?

Maybe if you hadn't doubled down on your attitude in every single post you've made in this thread where you insinuate that anybody who likes this game is a drooling moron who would lap up any shit that was called "Streets of Rage," you wouldn't be getting these types of replies. Just stop it already.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, KHCast said:

Well at least you’re consistent on that pretentious sounding front.

Ugh. It's the Sonic movie discussion all over again with this guy.

Tries to act all superior just because he goes against the grain and throws disdain at anyone who dares like the product. It's annoying,  to say the very least.

The game wasn't really clicking for me at first; despite Tarnish's complaints about it not doing enough to be different, my problem was that it was actually too different. I appreciate them trying to add some strategy into things, but a lot of the time their means of creating challenge is just "go ham on the boss invincibility frames". There's also way too many knife guys, like goddamn. I swear a single level of this game has more knife guys than the entirety of SoR2.

With that said; it has started to click for me now. Moreso because I switched to Blaze, who can actually hit downed enemies with her blitz attack, so I can keep the pain going. At one point I actually managed to land a ridiculous combo on the penultimate boss, where I did a regular jab string > blitz attack > blitz attack, but then charged a heavy attack just quick enough to send her off the wall, and then back into another combo. And good lord it was satisfying. A lot of the time my annoyances just come down to the sluggish movement; moreso with moving up and down the screen. I think a vertical hop of some kind would've been nice to have for dodging. 

...incidentally the only level I've A-Ranked so far is the final stage, bizarrely. Still, I feel like I'm improving, which is good! I don't think this game is replacing SoR2 in my heart anytime soon, but I can see why it's getting the praise it is. Practice makes perfect, I suppose!  

On another note, I'm loving the soundtrack; in fact I might be enjoying some of the stuff from the new guys more than the old guard's stuff this time around! Funky HQ is ludicrously good.

Jim really likes it. Biggest issue to him seems to be the online. On PS4 apparently it’s very threadbare. Not sure about Switch. Does acknowledge it doesn’t have a lot of modern conveniences, but also feels it works in the games favor 

18 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Do enlighten me, what part of what I said was made up? Are there mechanics of the game I somehow missed or misunderstood?

The game has a fully realized combo system (not easy exploits that you can use to get inifinites on enemies, like in the arcade version of Final Fight or SoR2). The game lets you juggle enemies off "walls" instead of being forced to wait for them to stand back up after you knock them off screen (seemingly similar to Tekken or AoF 3). The game gives you a chance you recover health lost from crowd control moves. Those are three examples off the top of my head that I'm aware of, just from watching a video on YT, that would make a dramatic difference in how it is played and the game's pace the more skilled you are.

This game could have been easily on the Saturn, both graphics

lol the hell it could. The Saturn could only barely run MVS and CPS-2 ports well. There wasn't even a game in arcades in the timezone of this level of visual detail and effects until years after the Xbox 360 came out. That means that SoR4 could probably have been done on the PS360; but then so could every game designed for the Switch.

It's hard for an opinion to be honest and genuine when your reasoning for why you have it is based on things that are untrue, and so obviously untrue that that even a casual investigation into it will show as much. And with so many of your responses to posts questioning you being laced with "if this wasn't a SoR game no one would accept these flaws," at that point, yeah, it absolutely does look like you're doing it for attention's sake; to double down on your opinions on the game from trailers and development news so your early statements on the game still look true. Especially when you keep changing your mind for whether the game isn't worth it because it doesn't do anything new at all or the game isn't worth it because some of the new stuff it does was done in rom hacks and fan games in the past.

The fact that you keep framing your posts in this thread with stuff like this:

On 4/1/2019 at 5:42 AM, Tarnish said:

Hate to be the negative nancy, but

On 4/30/2020 at 3:05 PM, Tarnish said:

I'm gonna be THAT guy.

On 4/30/2020 at 3:55 PM, Tarnish said:

I guess excuse me for judging it for what it is and not kissing its ass and praising it to the high heavens just because it has the Streets of Rage name on it, like apparently everybody else

So this place must be an echo chamber of nothing but praise for the game, or what?

Only makes that more evident. You're not being the one sane voice shouting out against enveloping darkness of fanboys so desperate for a Streets of Rage game that they'll give their approval to anything. You're being a Trump voter, so convinced that your pre-release impressions are right that you're sticking to them to the extent that you're supporting them with evidence which doesn't actually exist.

• Thumbs Up 3

I got the game last night and finished a playthrough of the story mode with my gf on normal difficulty. It took us about 3 or so hours, we got game over on a few stages, but always managed on the second attempt (one was on stage 1, no less haha).

It's pretty damn sweet. At first, yeah, the characters feel a bit sluggish, Alex and Floyd mostly. Once you get the hang of it, it clicks. There's a good balance between each character. I'm just not great playing with these type of characters, but it's hardly the game's fault. WHOEVER, I do kinda wish every character had the dash like Adam (which is my favorite character). I'm okay with only Cherry being able to run tho'. But like I said, they're all very balanced, the strenght of a skill makes up for the lack of another. 

It's been a while since I've played SOR. I went back to the original earlier today to check it out and it has always been like this. It is indeed slower than other beat n' ups. But I don't consider this a flaw in the slighlest.

I've played the Scott Pilgrim game to death on my PS3, heck, the last time I've played wasn't more than 3 months ago. I get it when people say it plays better than SOR4. But SP as a game is faster and more dynamic. Every character can run, dash, roll, double jump, attack enemies on the ground and so on. But every character plays exactly the same, there's no strategy or balance involved. Also, you have to unlock all these moves, which I don't like in a beat n' up TBH. 

Adding all these features to Streets of Rage 4 would take the Streets of Rage out of it. The only thing I can get behind is the lack of rolling, which was an ability in SOR3. They could've have kept this move, since SOR4 is a sequel, it's as if Axel and Blaze have forgot they can do that. It's kinda jarring. And that move is very usefull. Not essential, but usefull, since the characters can't block. I really don't understand why they remove it.

I guess it's because SOR4 is way closer to SOR2 than SOR3, which isn't exactly a bad thing. It's easily the fan-favorite and no one ever complained about the lack or roll in it, AFAIK. They could've have kept it, like I said, but it isn't a deal breaker.

The visuals and sound are a matter of personal taste, but no one can deny that this game doesn't look gorgeous. I love the way it looks, the stages, the character designs (especially Axel and Adam, damn). The music is a hit or miss tho'. All the tracks composed by Yuzo Koshiro are among the best of the OST, hands down. It's always the tracks that will get stuck in your head, like the main theme and stage 1. Too bad he was just a guest composer this time around. There's some weak songs in this game IMO. But there's some gems too. Oh, and I like that they included songs from the 8-bit versions aswell when you switch to the retro soundtrack.

This game does feels pretty much like Streets of Rage Mania, it has enough, maybe a bit too much nostalgia, but it simply works. The gameplay has some minor adjustments, but the CORE is there. They couldn't make it Scott Pilgrim because this IS Streets of Rage. And it feels like it from beggining to end.

Oh, one last thing...

Maybe I'm out of the loop with real life references, but...

Why is there a giant anal plug with a sign "Ship to Paris" at the end of stage 8 (Art Gallery)? O.o

13 hours ago, Tarnish said:

How about the parts I quoted in which you completely lied at worst and totally mislead at best regarding the star system? 

• Chuckle 1

I’m liking the game for the most part, but one thing bothering me a bit, is the slight delay after you attack or combo. It leaves me open for that slight moment, with no way of moving out of the way of an attack, and that’s screwed me over a few times and resulted in a chunk of health lost. Also I notice how enemies will sometimes just wait for your invincibility move to be over and attack then, as your stunned and can’t move until the entire animation is done. Not a game breaker or anything, but also a bit annoying 

Aside from that though, I’ve been having a great time 

I have the game, It's awesome!! I've been waiting since 1995 for another SOR. I've seen rumour after rumour after failed attempt after failed attempt to get another off the ground and now FINALLY we have it. I never thought we'd see the day.

The team behind the game clearly know the series well and have treated the IP with much respect and love.

Anyone scoffing at the game claiming it to be a nostalgia filled cash grab is either:

A) -  Ignorant and hasn't even played the game.

or

b) -  just one of those people who delight in the trolling of others.

Because quite honestly not since Sonic Mania (another game I never thought would come to light) have I seen such care to make the experience not only feel fresh but also feel like it BELONGS in the series. This is no SOR equivalent of Sonic 4 people.

If you've played the original trilogy you will love it and new comers should have a blast too and might even prompt you to check out the original games.

Last and by no means least- the soundtrack. Good God almighty is this a banger, it's like a cross between The Prodigy and Fatboy Slim on acid. Pure joy.

Yes I'm a long time fanboy but trust me THIS is good. Good enough in fact I've even gone for the physical edition from 'Limited Run'. 

Brilliant game.

On 4/30/2020 at 11:57 PM, Badnik Mechanic said:

literally every single thing you've said is not only wrong it's borderline anti fanboy clownish. At worst it's comically misleading, and at best it's just completely wrong. That's how bad your statements are, they're fundamentally incorrect on every level.

Okay, so to prove everything I said is wrong, you used one example where I was partly incorrect (but not "completely lied" as the fact that your best move behaves exactly like in SOR 1, i.e. that you can only perform it a limited amount of times still stands), the Star move. Still waiting for how all the other things I said was "just completely wrong" and "fundamentally incorrect on every level". Do tell for example how you can run with SOR 4 Axel and Blaze, or do the dodge roll. And SOR 4 Axel's combo special can definitely be way more easily interrupted compared to SOR 3 Axel's. Just try them on the 1st boss.

Some corrections from my previous posts tho:
- the enemies bounce back from the edge of the fight arena, not the edge of the screen
- when picking up items while holding a weapon, it's not the alignment that is the problem, you must stop on the item. If you try picking it up while walking, you just throw your weapon. Pretty counterintuitive, since you don't need to stop while picking up a weapon.
- the only totally new thing is the SOR 4 cast can perform an air special as well.
- the number of lives you start with is tied to the difficulty setting. You can add extra lives and star moves with aids, but at the cost of extremely reduced score. You can't set the difficulty and the lives separately without the penalty, as you could like in SOR3.

I assume these are lies as well then:
- no branching paths
- no AI companion option
- throwing certain weapons (like the cleaver) have like a second of delay for some reason
- that charged attack is pretty useless, as it takes like a second to charge up, and you can't jump while holding it. You're not gonna have that much free time in big battles, should have been a separate button.
- you can't see the durability of your weapon (in SOR3, they had a health bar for it), you only get a warning prior to breaking that you might miss in the heat of battle (especially with the small ass knife) when it flashes red
- you drop your weapon when you do a dodge/lane change roll with SOR3 characters (it wasn't like that in SOR3)
- you can't carry over your star move between stages in Arcade mode (would be useful when they only give you 1 freaking credit)
- annoying sections where there is only one lane so you can't dodge anything, and your view is obscured (can't see the weapons/items on the ground)
- the game just feels like an updated SOR2 or updated SOR3 when you unlock the SOR3 characters.

On 5/1/2020 at 6:48 PM, Tornado said:

lol the hell it could. The Saturn could only barely run MVS and CPS-2 ports well. There wasn't even a game in arcades in the timezone of this level of visual detail and effects until years after the Xbox 360 came out.

I thought it was obvious, but apparently not: OBVIOUSLY the resolution had to have been lower, some visual effects removed or reduced but since it's a 100% 2D game with 2D assets, it could have handled such a game fine. What I meant was: there are no mechanics or features in this game that would require 2020 tech besides the online multiplayer. No ragdolls, no destructible environments, no complex 3D modells, no complex physics, nothing. Just a mostly static background with some animations with sprites on top of it.

Yes, if it was a 100% completely different looking game running on a 2D engine instead with no lighting effects or adaptive shadows or realtime reflections or particle effects or true alpha transparencies and stages cut up into smaller pieces with load times while using sprite artwork instead of hand drawn cels, maybe it could have worked on the Saturn. OBVIOUSLY.

Also:

6 hours ago, Tarnish said:

since it's a 100% 2D game with 2D assets

SoR4 is a 3D game using 2D assets, just like a lot of 2D games have been since the PS360 generation. Ask people who have played Symphony on the Saturn how well the Saturn handles things like that. And once again, this is something I know when my entire experience with the game is watching two YouTube videos about it.

Are you done shitting up this thread? Because acting like all games that use 2D artwork could easily be dumbed down to work on a game console that could barely handle ports from 1990 arcade hardware easily the dumbest chestnut from you so far in your desperate attempt to cling to your bad takes from before the game's release; and if you can't even come up with arguments about basic things about the game's design without getting shit laughably wrong I'm seeing little to suggest that you aren't just trolling people.

• Thumbs Up 2

I couldn't help but notice that there were a few levels in SOR4 that were clearly inspired by the Streets of Rage fan Remake, or is that just me? For example, apparently there is a level where you run atop of a train and have to dodge incoming signposts so as to not be hit by them as the train moves forward. This level looks to me like a 1:1 recreation of the SOR remake level. There are one or two other levels I saw with other similarities to the remake, but the train level is without a doubt the most obvious. Keep in mind, the remake introduced completely new levels not seen in the original SOR games, which is what I'm referring to. Not a bad thing, I really liked those levels anyway lol but I do wonder if I'm the only guy that can see this. I'm looking forward to playing the game and seeing if there are other such similarities, besides levels anyway. The fan remake was probably the most important thing to happen to the Streets of Rage franchise since SOR3 came out and it received a lot of attention from both the SOR fanbase and beyond, even attracting the eyes of Sega who inevitably shut down the project after it was finished by demanding the official link on the SORR site be taken down, kind of an odd move on their part since Sega is usually cool about fan games, at least compared to other companies like Nintendo. Regardless, seeing Sega potentially having taken influence from the fan remake is incredibly interesting, makes me wonder if they hired any devs of the fan remake onto their team to make SOR4.

Also, you can't run in this game like in SOR3 with all your characters? That's a bummer. The rest of what I'm seeing looks solid though. 

Game’s great, felt it since I first played it at PAX. The one issue I have is the insane amount of shit you throw at you sometimes, but that’s mostly having to do with the room entirely full of Halberd holding Galsias. Hope that Xbox patch rolls out soon, they submitted the pre-release build by accident, so I can play it in 4K. Switch version is perfect, though.

Also, Floyd is actually pretty busted with the grab special working on all bosses as long as they’re not flashing, and maybe Y Tower’s boss.