Awoo.

So what's canon, Encore Mode and/or Mania Adventure

Auroxen

I kinda just see Mania Adventures as an extension of the beginning of Encore Mode. Once the lads finished eating those chili dogs they ended up being dragged into yet another adventure.

Which is basically my fancy way of saying "both are canon. You're canon. I'm canon. Everyone is canon."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Trying to decide what's canon in the Sonic universe is a lost cause. Why bother trying to make sense of it, when SEGA/Sonic Team themselves clearly don't give a rats ass about it?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's unfortunate there's confusion about canon this early in to the "Classic(TM) sub-franchise", but I think the most obvious is the one that's an actual game. They end in the same place anyway.

On 9/5/2018 at 7:37 AM, Tarnish said:

Trying to decide what's canon in the Sonic universe is a lost cause. Why bother trying to make sense of it, when SEGA/Sonic Team themselves clearly don't give a rats ass about it?

I agree. I've has many many discussions about other games canons like Resident Evil , Tomb Raider , Metal Gear Solid to name a few but when it comes to Sonic...... Theres no point at all. Its 25+ years of - ' Fast blue hedgehog and friends fight mad scientist and his robot army' Thats all it is but I think thats all it needs to be. Keep it fun and forget the canon. 

On 9/7/2018 at 6:45 PM, Eurisko said:

I agree. I've has many many discussions about other games canons like Resident Evil , Tomb Raider , Metal Gear Solid to name a few but when it comes to Sonic...... Theres no point at all. Its 25+ years of - ' Fast blue hedgehog and friends fight mad scientist and his robot army' Thats all it is but I think thats all it needs to be. Keep it fun and forget the canon. 

I don't think "that's all it needs to be", I think they could build an interesting, coherent world where we see more and more of Sonic and co.'s world and get to know it more and more with every game, get to know the characters more and see them develop over the adventures.

I mean cartoons do it all the time as far as I know. Like SWAT Kats (it's my favorite cartoon and the one I know the most, so that's why I use this as an example): EVERY single episode follows the plot of 'the 2 good guys get in their jet and defeat the villain of the week'. There is NO overarching epic story through the seasons at all, yet there is some world building happening: we get to know their backgrounds (they were unfairly fired from the police force), their interests (Chance loves comics, cartoons and video games, Jake loves the David Litterbin show), what they do in their free time (friendly rivalry with chili eating contests and competitive training), their inner struggles, fears (Jake is terrified of hurting innocent people so much that it destroys his self confidence at one point) and weaknesses (Chance can't swim).

What I was getting at, is that SEGA/Sonic Team is clearly not interested in doing that anymore (they were trying to on some level in the Dreamcast days with Sonic Adventure 2 having references to Adventure 1 and introducing character backgrounds and development), nowadays it's just whatever random shit they have on their minds at the moment, and if that random shit goes against something they established in the past? Well, I guess the past canon has to go to make way for the latest crap.

• Thumbs Up 1

Encore Mode is a canon within the chronological line of the games, Mania Adventures is an alternate version and much shorter than the Encore Mode, because neither joke a short animated series will enter the main canon of the games and the end of Encore Mode is almost confirmed that it will have follow-up in a sequel to Mania or most likely in the next modern Sonic Team game, because I am of the idea that Mania was the last game of Whitehead in SEGA

On 9/4/2018 at 10:56 PM, Pengi said:

Here's what he (Tyson Hesse) said:

And in a slightly later post:

Uuuh, very interesting; you have the source or something?

• 2 years later...

So I know this is late but the team behind sonic mania adventures were making a short series to tie-in sonic mania with forces but during the development of sonic mania adventures Sega told them about sonic mania plus so they added mighty and ray so people would be excited about sonic mania plus making it some kind of advertisement of sonic mania plus... so I guess sonic mania adventures is just to promote encore mode and sonic mania plus is the canon version. Also in encore mode ray and mighty are trapped which explains their disappearance after segasonic and the phantom ruby is included in it and also, the Hard Boiled Heavies are in there and they are destroyed because of you except for one.

So this means it makes more sense for encore mode to be the canon version and sonic mania adventures to be advertising it.

1 hour ago, pikenins said:

So I know this is late but the team behind sonic mania adventures were making a short series to tie-in sonic mania with forces but during the development of sonic mania adventures Sega told them about sonic mania plus so they added mighty and ray so people would be excited about sonic mania plus making it some kind of advertisement of sonic mania plus... so I guess sonic mania adventures is just to promote encore mode and sonic mania plus is the canon version. Also in encore mode ray and mighty are trapped which explains their disappearance after segasonic and the phantom ruby is included in it and also, the Hard Boiled Heavies are in there and they are destroyed because of you except for one.

So this means it makes more sense for encore mode to be the canon version and sonic mania adventures to be advertising it.

Why haven’t we seen Classic Eggman show up in a modern game, then? Wasn’t he sent to the modern world at the end? 

Well since this thread has risen from its grave I'll say my headcanon is Mania Adventures happens in place of the opening sequence and after the ending all the Encore stuff happens. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pity they both have the bit with Sonic coming back, or else I'd say that Adventures just takes place after Plus.

I like to headcanon that Mania Adventures follows on immediately after Forces; after that all gets resolved, the Phantom Ruby returning to the classic dimension causes a distortion that teleports Sonic back to Angel Island for the beginning of encore mode.

It seems to fit better this way round as in Forces, Classic Sonic kind of fades away and returns in that same pose in Mania Adventures, while in Encore he's spinning all over the place; the only slight wrinkle is that as per episode 6, Metal Sonic is left to rot for at least a few months, so Encore has to take place a little while after that as he's in it....

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Nestor said:

I like to headcanon that Mania Adventures follows on immediately after Forces; after that all gets resolved, the Phantom Ruby returning to the classic dimension causes a distortion that teleports Sonic back to Angel Island for the beginning of encore mode.

It seems to fit better this way round as in Forces, Classic Sonic kind of fades away and returns in that same pose in Mania Adventures, while in Encore he's spinning all over the place; the only slight wrinkle is that as per episode 6, Metal Sonic is left to rot for at least a few months, so Encore has to take place a little while after that as he's in it....

I mean that can be chocked up yo the Phantom Ruby honestly. It is all "Virtual Reality"* and all.

*Even as someone who doesn't think Forces is that bad I hate the insistence on saying Virtual Reality. If it's just altering perception then why is it causing so much damage and tearing holes in the Multiverse or whatever? It's more like it's altering reality really.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/29/2021 at 1:22 PM, SBR2 said:

*Even as someone who doesn't think Forces is that bad I hate the insistence on saying Virtual Reality. If it's just altering perception then why is it causing so much damage and tearing holes in the Multiverse or whatever? It's more like it's altering reality really.

Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that - how Tails describes it working makes no sense when compared to how it's actually portrayed. I mean, a dream that seems so real it actually damages you is a staple in fiction and could work if Infinite was just making illusions of weapons or simulacrum attackers or whatever - but how does it make any sense when he's altering gravity and the characters are floating or falling? Are they just in reality standing around flailing?

It appears in actuality to work far more like the Reality Stone Infinity Gem where you can just make a temporary adjustment to reality that reverts once out of proximity, and I wish they'd explained it more like that.

The chaos emeralds turn thoughts into power, the phantom ruby turns perception into reality. You fall because you've been made to believe you're falling.

Or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 years later...

Superstars seems to have gone with the approach that Mania Adventures is canon; despite Mighty & Ray vanishing again. Classic Eggman for example is still very present despite being sent to the modern world in Encore, the HBH are nowhere to be seen despite their apparent Heel Face Turn in Encore, Amy is now an active part of the team, Metal Sonic is reduced to multiplayer fodder due to Amy taking care of him, etc. 

There’s not much to confirm Adventures but there is plenty to disconfirm Encore.