Awoo.

High Guardian Spice | Crunchyroll Anime-Cartoon thing

DiamondX

High Guardian Spice is an anime coming out next year, developed in the West, exclusive to Crunchyroll.

The story is about 4 girls going to school so that they can become Guardians.

The show recieved criticism based off it's teaser trailer, but I hope it becomes a good one and maybe is a start for more Crunchyroll original series.

So far there is only the teaser which shows character design, so there isn't any animation or story trailer yet.

I will update the topic as we find out more.

This just reeks of "SJW-ism". It's clear that the creators are trying to draw people in through seeming as though the show progressive. 

29 minutes ago, DiamondX said:

The main bad thing though is "diversity". This is the main point of the trailer, which would be okay, if it was actually right.

They say it's diverse right after pointing out that even though the VAs are 50% male and 50% female, the writers are only female. Now I don't mind having only female writers, but don't call it diverse when it's not.

What, you think that means it can't be diverse? People are more than just their gender. There are people of different races, different ages, different religions, different sexualities, different socioeconomic statuses, and these and more all contribute to the diversity of people, experiences, and ideas just as much as gender does. A team isn't "not diverse" just because it doesn't have members of every possible group working on every aspect of a show's production; that's an unrealistic standard that nothing could possibly live up to.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm not trying to argue here. But you can tell they meant diversity also by gender when they brought up ''50% male and 50% female" for voice actors.

But you do you. I just shared my opinon on it.

It's not about the diversity issue (after all there are demographics) but it just looks like a scam that Crunchyroll are pulling to be like the Netflix of anime without the budget that they get. I mean showing a trailer with no animation done is scam like to me and not the first time they done stuff like this to get more subscribers.

Besides unless the show ends up being surprisingly good, it will be forgotten shortly after it gets made and that's if it gets that far. Looking at the art in the trailer thumbnail reminds me of either of some artwork from DeviantART or a low budget rip off of Little Witch Academia and that is not a good sign. Also saying 2D animation that people have forgotten is misleading when it looks like a type of cartoon that would have got made in this day and age without much issue. Classic golden age or TMS silver age? Yeah, those you don't see and probably might not see again but not this.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Loopone said:

It's not about the diversity issue (after all there are demographics) but it just looks like a scam that Crunchyroll are pulling to be like the Netflix of anime without the budget that they get. I mean showing a trailer with no animation done is scam like to me and not the first time they done stuff like this to get more subscribers.

Besides unless the show ends up being surprisingly good, it will be forgotten shortly after it gets made and that's if it gets that far. Looking at the art in the trailer thumbnail reminds me of either of some artwork from DeviantART or a low budget rip off of Little Witch Academia and that is not a good sign. Also saying 2D animation that people have forgotten is misleading when it looks like a type of cartoon that would have got made in this day and age without much issue. Classic golden age or TMS silver age? Yeah, those you don't see and probably might not see again but not this.

Yes, the diveristy part is not the only flaw of it.

As much as I want it to be good, I can tell a lot of people won't have the desire to watch it after this debate. (also them using the money they said would send to Japanese studios is used for their own thing)

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

This just reeks of "SJW-ism". It's clear that the creators are trying to draw people in through seeming as though the show progressive. 

Why is it that whenever women try to do something like this, it's "sjw" or forced or whatever? I didn't get that sorta feel from the trailer at all.

Besides, they're saying the show is diverse in terms of character designs and whatnot. They didn't necessarily say the team was.

I'm obviously gonna have to watch the show first before saying whether I like it or not, but the lack of animation for what's basically an announcement about the team and stuff rather than the show itself isn't exactly a bad sign. Honestly an anime inspired cartoon starring girls that aren't totally sexualized is pretty cool, as those are relatively rare unless we're counting kids shows. The concept itself seems cute and I think it'll be a fun watch. I don't really get why trying to be diverse or progressive is a bad thing anyway. That's obviously not the whole point of the show.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Besides, they're saying the show is diverse in terms of character designs and whatnot. They didn't necessarily say the team was.

If your going to say that the show will be diverse and the first look at it doesn't reinforce the statement, then I have doubts that it will actually be diverse.

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

If your going to say that the show will be diverse and the first look at it doesn't reinforce the statement, then I have doubts that it will actually be diverse.

Can I ask what you consider to be diverse? To me it's not just gender or sex, it's character design. I saw several characters with different body types, skin color, etc., that's diversity too.

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Can I ask what you consider to be diverse? To me it's not just gender or sex, it's character design. I saw several characters with different body types, skin color, etc., that's diversity too.

Okay, that's a good point.

This show looks pretty cute and sounds fun (BOTANY-THEMED MAGICAL GIRLS). I'm curious to see how it looks in motion, but I don't mind teaser announcements too much. 

...I was going to leave it at that but I do want to say that Crunchyroll has funded or otherwise assisted a good deal of Japanese-made anime and it's weird I've seen people ask why they aren't doing that instead. Yuri on Ice!, A Place Further Than the Universe, Yurucamp (IIRC)--all fantastic shows, even. There are legit things to get on CR's case about, and who knows they could be stretching themselves thin by funding more shows, but uh...cross that bridge when we get to it, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Celestia said:

...I was going to leave it at that but I do want to say that Crunchyroll has funded or otherwise assisted a good deal of Japanese-made anime and it's weird I've seen people ask why they aren't doing that instead. Yuri on Ice!, A Place Further Than the Universe, Yurucamp (IIRC)--all fantastic shows, even. There are legit things to get on CR's case about, and who knows they could be stretching themselves thin by funding more shows, but uh...cross that bridge when we get to it, I guess.

I wasn't aware of that and want to apologise for not looking for more info before saying that.

Thanks for letting me know.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love animation, and I'll support any kind of it as best as I can. Crunchyroll aspires to support Japanese animation studios, and that's awesome. They're even funding thise studios to create new shows that Crunchyroll also airs on their service. I love it!

...But their service is still utter trash. Flash players are still being used, poor subtitle translations, and not exactly the largest collection of anime. Subscriber money, though can be used to support studios, is still expected to be used to upgrade the service.

And now, with the money of paying subscribers, they're funding a new show! With no animation shown, a bunch of concept art, all the focus being on the staff and highlighting the diversity amongst them. I do not care if a disabled person is the lead animator of the show, if you are advertising your show, I expect the focus to be on the animation. Save the staff diversity for a behind the scenes video (which this is arguably more like than a "teaser").

From the literal scraps of what we know of this show, it doesn't really seem all too special. I've already seen something very similar with Little Witch Academia (surprise, it's my avatar), which I already enjoyed watching all of. If High Guardian Spice can deliver anything interesting to distance the comparison, then that's just fine, I'm happy with it. If not, what a waste of subscriber money.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really have much stake in the whole "diversity" topic, other than that bragging about diversity will do nothing to the public consciousness or the industry if everyone isn't great at their jobs. It's an uphill battle and going above and beyond the call of duty always seems like the only way for progression to happen. So basically, if it's good, it's good. If not, a complete waste. The lack of footage strikes me less as compensation for having nothing and more as Crunchyroll being stupid because Crunchyroll is stupid, something we've known for years.

I'm not gonna use words like "SJW", "Feminism" or "Digibro" here, and I recommend y'all do the same, because we don't know these people and they haven't done anything in particular to give the impression that they're anything other than maybe a little overconfident in a production that seems a little uninspired. 

I mean, really, it feels like they're bragging about it being basically an anime-ripoff, or even derivative of anime itself, the main problem that anime as an industry has. I feel like a trailer is going to be the deciding factor here, because if it's filled with references to anime, glorification of anime and anime tropes, etc. I'm probably giving up. Avatar and Steven Universe both had anime influence but blended it with elements atypical of anime and even many western cartoons to create truly charming and creative stories, and I worry this has the possibility of just being "SEE? WE WATCHED AAAAAANIME BECAUSE WE'RE THE AAAAAAANIMEEEE COOOOOMPAAAANYYYY".

• Thumbs Up 5

Take Little Witch Academia, Ojamajo Doremi, and Slayers and throw them into a blender and you have something I'm kinda interested in seeing how it turns

Pretty lame that the controversy is pretty much 100% its public image currently though. I'm hoping it ends up being cute

• Thumbs Up 3

I'll just leave this here:

I think it sums up the state of CrunchyRoll and the weird marketing surrounding the show. Even removing that, on its own it doesn't look too impressive (i personally don't think it falls into the calarts meme, it resembles a bit more Wakfu imho, and i liked that show), even considering it's a first attempt at licensing for CR.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

I honestly thought the first reaction to this is a culmination of people being overreactive and toxically political. 

I don't care either way cause I don't do Crunchyroll and wouldn't have even known this was a thing without the Roundtable, but wait for the show to actually have something worth judging.

A quick look around yt tells me this show will flop. I'm sure it will have some small following. Sad they have to point out diversity.  if a shows good you don't or shouldn't have yo do that

9 hours ago, Sean said:

Take Little Witch Academia, Ojamajo Doremi, and Slayers and throw them into a blender 

Yeah, that's kinda my first uneducated thought as well, with Slayers swapped out for Steven Universe or something.

The only thing that gives me a Slayers impression is the tall elf girl, whose design implies that maybe some traveling will be involved in the show

As far as diversity goes, I feel it's more like putting it in the viewers face that it's diverse, made by diverse people. When the majority of something is advertised as such, especially nowadays, it makes the product feel cheapened and shallow. If you wish to make a good show, just make one.

The whole funding thing is another story, I haven't used Crunchyroll in a while (mostly because their player is slow and sucks), so I don't have much to say on that atm. And yeah I will say the no animation thing is a shame, definitely hurts it more. That little CalArts meme aside, the designs look okay, but nothing special.

• Thumbs Up 6

I have little but skepticism for the show. I do think the art style is cute and all, but the initial poor showing that doesn't even let footage from the show speak for the product (if we assume they only just started, they announced it too early) isn't exactly inspiring confidence here.

At any rate, a part of me hopes it turns out well, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for it. It's got work to do to prove itself, at any rate.

I support anything that makes nerds cry this much just on principle. So I'm fine with this show existing.

Though for real if fucking RWBY of all things can be some celebrated icon I really don't get how this is any different.

It doesn't look bad, but it is pretty cringey how much virtue signaling is going on. I don't have any beef with SJW's making their own thing though, if it's anything I dislike more than SJW pandering it's gatekeeping.