Awoo.

High Guardian Spice | Crunchyroll Anime-Cartoon thing

DiamondX

I feel like "SJW" is one of the most poorly-defined and easily misused/misunderstood terms on the internet. I'd honestly advise against anyone else here using it in public conversation unless you're also prepared to argue in very specific detail what you think it means.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

I feel like "SJW" is one of the most poorly-defined and easily misused/misunderstood terms on the internet. I'd honestly advise against anyone else here using it in public conversation unless you're also prepared to argue in very specific detail what you think it means.

I mean, okay. Shoot.

While the trailer is lacking in content, I don't see anything to get annoyed about. The premise is very familiar, but I would guess that's the point - to take a well-worn trope and populate it with a more relatable cast. It's going to feel a lot more inclusive, especially for young girls who may feel they don't measure up to the typical beauty standards of mainstream anime.

Yes, they lay it on quite thickly in the trailer, but it's not like they're lying about how diverse the characters and creators are. People don't get so mad when bigger companies claim that their new game is the best shit ever. It's pretty normal for marketing to talk their new baby up and this is obviously a very important area for the team to highlight. The designs look good to me; a nice middle ground between Steven Universe (a poster-child for body positivity and diversity) and the anime they're inspired by. It works and makes sense. It would have been nice to see more, of course, but any controversy around it feels overblown by Youtube commentators as usual.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I use SJW all the time in public and at midnight events. Never have had a argument ever on its use.

Yeah, what a seriously bizarre thing to claim. You have to be pretty detached from the discourse in the broader gaming community in the past... What is it 5? 5 years to not know what a SJW is.

9 hours ago, Pawn said:

While the trailer is lacking in content, I don't see anything to get annoyed about. The premise is very familiar, but I would guess that's the point - to take a well-worn trope and populate it with a more relatable cast. It's going to feel a lot more inclusive, especially for young girls who may feel they don't measure up to the typical beauty standards of mainstream anime.

Yes, they lay it on quite thickly in the trailer, but it's not like they're lying about how diverse the characters and creators are. People don't get so mad when bigger companies claim that their new game is the best shit ever. It's pretty normal for marketing to talk their new baby up and this is obviously a very important area for the team to highlight. The designs look good to me; a nice middle ground between Steven Universe (a poster-child for body positivity and diversity) and the anime they're inspired by. It works and makes sense. It would have been nice to see more, of course, but any controversy around it feels overblown by Youtube commentators as usual.

That's sort of the problem though, if all you have for marketing is basically virtue signaling about how diverse you are, what does that say for the actual quality of the content there?

I said before that I don't mind SJW's making their own things, and I feel like saying it's because there are pretty transparently SJW type people that actually make good content. I happen to quite like what FinjiCo is putting out for example, Night in the Woods was a really solid narrative adventure that explores the sort of millennial dilemma of coping with the fact that "you're an adult now", and Tunic looks like a really solid passion project seeking to emulate classic Zelda, even though the creator unironically spews SJW propaganda on Twitter.

I'm all for good content no matter where it comes from. It just needs to be... good, and justifies itself outside of virtue signaling. Battlefield V is pretty much an example of what I'm talking about. For all of EA's vilification of their own customer base, and their really weak and pathetic attempts at justifying their incredibly jarring tone shift, the game seems genuinely unremarkable.

15 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Gatekeeping?

This new generation makes up so many words that I am constantly at a loss. Gatekeeping is some word tossed around to say your basically not giving something a chance cause its not what you know or like, or not the norm thus gatekeeping. Sort of like if you dislike the last jedi (shudder) people have started to say its cause older fans are gatekeeping it from younger fans cause they can not accept change or that the series is different not rather than the movie was just bad.  (imo lol)

22 hours ago, Meta77 said:

This new generation makes up so many words that I am constantly at a loss. Gatekeeping is some word tossed around to say your basically not giving something a chance cause its not what you know or like, or not the norm thus gatekeeping. Sort of like if you dislike the last jedi (shudder) people have started to say its cause older fans are gatekeeping it from younger fans cause they can not accept change or that the series is different not rather than the movie was just bad.  (imo lol)

To give an explanation of gatekeeping, since you seem to struggle understanding it, allow me to give you an example:

You see a large wall and a massive gate, with a guard standing in front of it. You're a Sonic fan, and on the other side of the wall are other Sonic fans. Approaching the gate, the guard sees you, and asks you to state your business. "I'm a Sonic fan!" you excitedly state in response, "I'm really into all things Sonic! I've played Generations, Colours, Adventure 2, they're all great!" Yet despite your enthusiasm, the guard doesn't move, not even budging an inch.

Looking down, right into your eyes, they ask you rather harshly, "Have you even played the Genesis games? Sonic 1, Sonic 2, or even Sonic 3 & Knuckles?"

Your heart sinks, there hasn't been much of a chance of you to play them. But whatever, you don't need to play those games to like Sonic, you're still a Sonic fan regardless. "I have not," you answer, "Will you still let me in?" Even if you have not played those games, you know the other Sonic fans inside the walls really wouldn't mind at all. They love Sonic, you love Sonic, it should be fine. But the guard is not impressed. Rather, they're really upset.

"YOU ARE NOT A TRUE SONIC FAN!" they bellow, enough to knock you off your feet. "FAKE FAN, LEAVE THIS PLACE!"

This doesn't make sense! You wonder, do you really need to play the Genesis games to be a Sonic fan? Not even all the fans inside have played them, but this guard is upset that you haven't, and will not let you in. All because you do not apply to their standards of a Sonic fan.

I didn't mean to write a paragraph out of a novel, but that should hopefully explain what gatekeeping is, and why it's bullshit.