Jump to content
Awoo.

Is there any chance for Mania team to reconsider about Amy


Gumbit
 Share

Recommended Posts

There is only one thing that disappointed me about  Mania PLUS . Is that Amy wasn't included in it , but Mighty and Ray were . I understand  people are happy for their return , but I feel that Amy needed this chance more than them . Will be there any chance for Amy to get in action , if Mania team are gonna work on another classic title ?

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

She's a shoo-in for whatever equates to Mania 2, so I wouldn't worry about it.  It's not like Amy was snubbed or anything; she just didn't fit the profile of the base game, and for the expansion the developers chose instead to rescue two characters who had literally no future in the franchise otherwise (while Amy had a major role in Forces and is playable in the next game).

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No. The game is finished and no more major updates at this point, maybe lucky to get a patch to fix bugs at best. If there is a sequel to Mania or a game in similar style, then it might be a possibility however adding a character that previously was only in spinoffs (mostly Japanese ones) from the Classic era would have to find a gameplay style that is suitable to the game and the level design that is not an easy thing. Even then Sonic Team might decide that she can't be a playable character for some reason. I think she was considered at one point but didn't happen.

Your best bet would be to download a mod that has Amy in and I'm sure there's a few lurking around online but even then that'll be only for the PC version.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As said Mania itself is finished and done with, but if there is a Mania 2 or some kind of successor, I'd honestly be surprised if she didn't at least have a significant role in it. I don't think she was deliberately snubbed in Mania; I think the team focused on the most popular and significant characters first, and then threw some hail marys to get some obscure characters who would never otherwise have a chance into it, and Amy, as a character who has had a reliable presence in the series but to my knowledge has never been exceptionally popular, fell into the gap between the two. Mania 2 would be the perfect time to give her some of the spotlight, though; she's the next most significant classic era character, and there's plenty of room to experiment with her abilities and gameplay and come up with a playstyle that would help set the sequel apart from the original.

The one thing I wonder about is how Sonic Team feels about classic Amy. They clearly see Amy in general as a positive asset considering how regularly she appears, and I don't think they're trying to outright bury classic Amy considering her minor cameo in Mania and her appearance in the Mega Drive comics, but I could see them being more picky about how classic Amy would be handled compared to the other characters. They might feel like she's not suitable as a playable character since she wasn't playable in a classic-era platformer, or they might feel like she's different enough from Modern Amy that she doesn't reinforce her as much as the other classic characters reinforce their modern counterparts and try to discourage them from giving her a major role, or something of that sort. This is mostly just baseless speculation, though; I don't have specific reason to believe they'd interfere with her appearing, I just expect them to find some way to fuck something up.

  • Thumbs Up 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

 

The one thing I wonder about is how Sonic Team feels about classic Amy. 

I could see them being more picky about how classic Amy would be handled compared to the other characters. They might feel like she's not suitable as a playable character since she wasn't playable in a classic-era platformer, or they might feel like she's different enough from Modern Amy that she doesn't reinforce her as much as the other classic characters reinforce their modern counterparts and try to discourage them from giving her a major role, or something of that sort. 

That is more or less the only explainable obstacle I can see for why they'd limit the usage of her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Gumbit said:

There is only one thing that disappointed me about  Mania PLUS . Is that Amy wasn't included in it , but Mighty and Ray were . I understand  people are happy for their return , but I feel that Amy needed this chance more than them . Will be there any chance for Amy to get in action , if Mania team are gonna work on another classic title ?

I think the reasoning for why Mighty and Ray got in are somewhat obvious, Amy would be expected. She’d be a cool character but due to the modern series, she fell into the realm of “yet another annoying friend” because of how especially the 2000s portrayed her. I would’ve liked seeing her in the game, I like Amy after all, but the developers of Mania are gonna get a lot more props and on top of that - credit for using two completely unexpected and obscure characters as their DLC, especially since Ray’s method of flight is so different compared to Tails.

I don’t think it was an intentionally spiteful decision, I just think she fell lower on the priority list because Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are bare minimum classic gameplay styles that would be needed to sell Mania as a true sequel to 3&K while Mighty and Ray are a complete surprise to the majority of players and offer different and unexpected ways of play that work better as selling points. If a Mania 2 happens though, I absolutely expect to see her.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The development of Mania is done, every person involved has moved on. So now, we can only hope Amy is added to a Mania sequel, or another classic themed game. As has been stated, she's a popular character who is used often. Everyone involved wanted to focus on something that Amy didn't fit in the vision of. I'm saying this as a person who hoped for Amy to be added in some time later as well.

Sorry. No dice.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I don’t think it was an intentionally spiteful decision, I just think she fell lower on the priority list because Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are bare minimum classic gameplay styles that would be needed to sell Mania as a true sequel to 3&K while Mighty and Ray are a complete surprise to the majority of players and offer different and unexpected ways of play that work better as selling points. If a Mania 2 happens though, I absolutely expect to see her.

But the thing is, neither Mighty nor Ray truly did anything remarkable in terms of gameplay, let alone added to the evolution of how playable characters are used if you consider that:

*Sonic 1: only Sonic.

*Sonic 2: adds Tails as mostly a clone with slight acceleration/speed differences.

*Sonic 3: adds Knuckles, who has his own abilities besides the ones shared with Sonic. Same goes for Tails.

*Advance 1: introduces Amy to 2-D with a fully unique moveset exclusive to her, as opposed to Tails and Knuckles who are still heavily based on Sonic's core abilities.

Ever since Advance 2 the concept introduced with Amy seemed to have been dropped, which is a shame since I think characters with completely unique skills have a greater positive impact on gameplay than those who just add one or two extra moves to what Sonic already does, which at least IMO, only results in a cast of characters that still feel samey despite their extra abilities... which on top are not as used as the abilities they borrow from Sonic.

Personally, I don't think there will ever be plans to add Amy in Mania, which is a shame since I always enjoyed her unique style, whether it was in Advance 1, or the Genesis hacks by E-122 psi. I know there are Amy mods oit there for Mania, but so far none of them really do much innterms of reproducing Amy's Advance gameplay.

As for whatever reason the developers has to pick Mighty and Ray over Amy, all I have to say is that it was a terrible choice (who the hell picks a couple of obscure, undeserving nobodies over the one other character that is as much as recognizable as Tails and Knuckles?)and yet another opportunity to do something more interesting being wasted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

The development of Mania is done, every person involved has moved on. So now, we can only hope Amy is added to a Mania sequel, or another classic themed game. As has been stated, she's a popular character who is used often. Everyone involved wanted to focus on something that Amy didn't fit in the vision of. I'm saying this as a person who hoped for Amy to be added in some time later as well.

Sorry. No dice.

While we're at it, there probably won't be any Mania sequel. I'm not saying I want to be right, but Whitehead and crew have every reason  right  to jump ship from this franchise like the last rich white woman off the Titanic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Scape said:

While we're at it, there probably won't be any Mania sequel. I'm not saying I want to be right, but Whitehead and crew have every reason to jump ship from this franchise like the last rich white woman off the Titanic.

What reasons?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Scape said:

While we're at it, there probably won't be any Mania sequel. I'm not saying I want to be right, but Whitehead and crew have every reason  right  to jump ship from this franchise like the last rich white woman off the Titanic.

Every dev involved with Mania still have a great interest in Sonic, enough that some would definitely go another round if they could think of something. For instance, Simon Thomley (AKA Stealth, Headcannon) did a stream of playing games from SAGE this year. Christian Whitehead still has a notable interest in Sonic, he's just working on other projects at the moment.

Besides, Sonic Team greenlighted Mania, so it's really up to them to decide on a Mania sequel. And they aren't oblivious, they know Mania is successful, they're just clever enough to try not milk the cow dry.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, you don't know with Sonic Team. For all we know they have a mandate on her not being playing in the Classic era for some reason. 

What I do know is that if she isn't, the backlash is going to be significantly larger than what Mania got for it. 

Edit: I mean I'd say you don't know if Mania sequels were a shoo-in as well, which was the actual point of your post. Oops. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Honestly, you don't know with Sonic Team. For all we know they have a mandate on her not being playing in the Classic era for some reason. 

What I do know is that if she isn't, the backlash is going to be significantly larger than what Mania got for it. 

Edit: I mean I'd say you don't know if Mania sequels were a shoo-in as well, which was the actual point of your post. Oops. 

This is a good point , why DO they put these bizarre restrictions on characters? I mean , its not like they are very much concerned with canon is it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Eurisko said:

This is a good point , why DO they put these bizarre restrictions on characters? I mean , its not like they are very much concerned with canon is it.

They have a certain vision with a number of key attributes they want to maintain for the characters and series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

They have a certain vision with a number of key attributes they want to maintain for the characters and series.

So the liklyhood of say someone like Silver turning up in a Mania game at some point potentially couldn't happen even though he has the ability to time travel etc..... because he's a "modern" character? Has Izuka ever stated what the rules are? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.