Awoo.

What is the future for Modern Sonic?

Guergy

For the foreseeable future? IDW comics. Long term? who knows but I think Sonic Team have got to take a step back and find a different direction for him gameplay wise. Don't get me wrong , I quite liked 'Forces' but it certainly lacked in a few areas.

Until then I'm happy with the comics. Really have got into them and I hope they run and run.

I might get sh** for this and that's fine but ill state it anyway.

If the series wants to just find a way to survive, I definitely see a path forward with modern sonic. Modern has had some good games in the last decade and can do so in the future. Mania has just proven that classic sonic can still be a successful niche franchise as a 2D platformer. Sonic can have the two franchises that cater to different fanbases exist side by side on a not so large scale.

However if the series ever wants to thrive on a much bigger scale again, I think modern should be killed off and the series should go all in on rebooting around the original sonic aesthetic on both the 2D and 3D gameplay platforms. Completely commit to establishing a clear brand identity and double down on creating a fully 3D gameplay that is at least as polished and excellent as the 2D gameplay is. They will never, ever get this by catering to the modern sonic that has existed since essentially the days of sonic adventure. That modern sonic is too many different things to too many different people, a totally confused mess that has no clear identity and is not excellent at all.

I think the former is most likely to happen, although maybe not successfully. Sonic is currently fading from mainstream conscious and has been for some time. If it weren't for mania, things would be even worse. The movie may help this some but the series still needs to be fixed one way or the other.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don’t want Modern Sonic to die off for even more Classic pandering but I’m not fond of the current state of the games.

I just want the games to have actual 3D and have the characters in the games not act like helpless doormats who can’t do anything without Sonic.

1 hour ago, knuckles20 said:

I don’t want Modern Sonic to die off for even more Classic pandering but I’m not fond of the current state of the games.

I just want the games to have actual 3D and have the characters in the games not act like helpless doormats who can’t do anything without Sonic.

I would like that to happen to but it is up to SEGA whether or not they actually do that.

Team Sonic Racing will come out, and it's not a Sonic Team game, this makes me think we're realistic, Sonic Team is working on the next modern game, no matter the criticism that modern games receive, if they continue to sell well, they will continue to take them out , the most likely is that the next modern game will come out in 2019

After all the negative reception Forces received, Sonic Team should take a long and serious look at what worked with the past games and hope to improve and expand upon them. But I doubt that'll happen since the Forces did manage to sell.

3 hours ago, JoeyBishop said:

Team Sonic Racing will come out, and it's not a Sonic Team game, this makes me think we're realistic, Sonic Team is working on the next modern game, no matter the criticism that modern games receive, if they continue to sell well, they will continue to take them out , the most likely is that the next modern game will come out in 2019

They most likely are. I dont think 3D sonic games will die until SEGA literally wipes their budget (that is possible, even though I dont think its happening now).

But that concerns me a little because:

A) what lessons have they actually taken away from what has happened since the 2016 party, mania, and forces?

b) they have not actually shown anything that would indicate they have confidence in their 3D formula or have an inkling of where to go next. If they wanted to bring back the adventure style (for example's sake) what have they learned since 2001 (or 2006, for the unofficial SA3) that would greatly improve upon the critical flaws of the original games and provide a non-polarizing experience for most fans, not just the diehard fans?

No disrespect to sonic team. I know they want to succeed. At this moment it's just that they've not really given us a reason to look forward to the next game (unless you're one who loved forces. In which case, carry on).

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hope that they really analyze what people thought were good and bad about Forces got and try to improve based on them without thinking they need to add some kind of gimmick or something like that. Or look at past games that were better well-received, see what worked from them, and try to implement those features in a future game. I don't want to sound too cynical, but I feel like Sonic Team doesn't exactly have a good track record when it comes analyzing criticism.

I think the thing that gets to me is that I don't feel like the most recent Modern Sonic games are bad. But then again, for me personally it takes a lot for me to say a game is bad. Usually if the game is playable, decently put together, and I'm at least able to get something out of it, I won't say it's bad. Sonic '06 and Rise of Lyric are bad games to me because they are riddled with glitches and their overall composition is either inconsistent or not done well and it fully affects my playing experience. But Forces and other Modern Sonic games like it are just...mediocre. Like, they're not horrible. They're playable and you can see that effort was put into it. You can see the tiniest bits of potential rising up to the surface, but it's drowned out by the frustrating flaws.

And it kind of stinks, because at least for a really bad game, it really makes you step back and try to see what went wrong. But with a mediocre game, it's just like...eh. I don't feel like there's as much as an incentive to improve. I feel like it's more of something like, "Ah well, it could have been worse. At least it's not that bad."

I'm wishing hard that's not the case after Sonic Forces and that the next Modern Sonic game will be an improvement...but my cynical side keeps on popping up.

(For a non-Sonic comparison:)

Spoiler

I think Mass Effect 1 and 2 are a good example of improving on a flawed but working formula. Mass Effect 1 was a good game, but like any other game it had things that it didn't do well. So, the development team took the criticisms that the first game got and fixed/removed what didn't work. A lot of people really liked the story, characters, and combat, so they added a little bit more to it without changing what it was at its core. And they either removed or improved on what people didn't like about the first game: the UI, the inventory system and the Mako exploration. And the result? A lot of fans say that the second game is their favorite in the trilogy. Now, is it perfect? Absolutely not. There are things that Mass Effect 2 didn't get right (and there are some things I actually like more from the first game), but the bottom line is: The team looked at what didn't work and what did work and improved based on that. That's what I want Sonic Team to do.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/7/2018 at 11:27 AM, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Kinda pointless to speculate with no data.

Easy answer is "The Movie/ Team Sonic Racing."
Hard answer is "I dunno."
Speculative answer is "Showing off Hedgehog engine 2?"
Cynical answer is "Not what you want/ Want you want but terribly done."

Hit the nail on the head tbh.

There was talk with the new CEO of SEGA Sammy, of tightening up quality of key franchises such as Sonic. I'm yet to see the fruits of this noble endeavour with respect to the Sonic Franchise, unfortunately. Was Forces the last of the bullshit? Was it the last chance for some of the leadership, before a mass exodus and total restructuring of Sonic Team? Or was it just lip service?

Frankly, I want to see some kind of effort put in to turn this ship around. Somehow the Iceberg that was Sonic 06, didn't sink it, but a few more Forces -level disasters may finish what's left of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Between classic games that are great (Mania and Plus counted as 2 in this specific case), cartoons, comic books, the upcoming movie (it's gonna be Modern, that's Sonic's main face and that's usually how he is when he interacts with humans), I do think Sonic overall is in a good place right now, even though the modern games are mediocre, I guess the release of the movie will mark the real answer.

It's both because of talent and passion that a project is successful, in fact even though Boom flopped the cartoon was well received, because it was in good hands, hell, it even had a low budget (with nice CGI though), so I'm not sure, I would say Sonic Team are a lost cause to discuss because their lack of talent, I'm more baffled by Sumo Digital right now, the game seems fun but it could sure use more passion, and more money by SEGA, I don't know what's the bigger problem. The comic is being done with passion, Mania, Plus and Adventures were done with passion, I'm confident in the movie because the cast seems excited and they are most definitely talented, crew (writers, director, etc.) and the townspeople are very excited, so I'm excited too (and a lot of fans in general, it seems).