Awoo.

'SONIC VILLAINS' Fan Film: A Celebration of the Franchise in the Most EVIL Way Possible

Miitoons

I wish you the best of luck pulling this off, cause if you're successful then I reckon it'll be an absolute blast to watch! I shall try my best to keep an eye on this!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

I love this idea. Can't wait to see how Sonic and pals deal with this cavalcade of villains!

...But seeing that Boom!Shadow is among the villains makes me fear for their chances. We're talking about the same guy who curb-stomped his universe's Team Sonic in the cartoon's season 2 finale here (hell, he nearly destroyed his universe... deliberately).

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Miitoons said:

I'm finally ready to talk about this: I'M DEVELOPING A SONIC FAN FILM!!

Sonic Villains

follows Eggman after the events of Sonic Forces as he uses the last of the mysterious Phantom Ruby to gather villains across EVERY SONIC UNIVERSE to regain control, and destroy Sonic in the craziest battle he's faced yet.

41135256_949602698559229_888267022993142

The film is estimated to be around 25-45 minutes of crazy fight scenes, comedy, and surprises! I've found things to love and appreciate from all corners of the Sonic franchise, no matter the faults inbetween. This film is a celebration of it ALL.

The concept for the film started around at the beginning of 2017 with storyboards and concept sketches ( Before the Phantom Ruby wasn't involved, but as we learned more about Forces, it made even more sense to bring it into this. ) But after days worth of input on who the fanbase's fav. villains were, I knew exactly the who to make apart of this interdimensional smackdown!

181757350_SonicVillainsLogo.thumb.png.a37fa7a068262b18bd258a07401f17a6.png

There is no concrete release date as of now, as anything can interfere with a project like this, but with a definite understanding of the work involved and how long the fanboy in me has wanted to tell a story like this, I don't see me cancelling this down the line ONE BIT. I want to share progress on the film as it happens, hence me making this topic! The story's already been written out in its entirety, and I'm SO HYPED for this project!!

Feel free to ask me anything about the project! I'll answer all that I can to be as upront and honest with y'all as possible! I've also got a Twitter for the project you can follow here! https://twitter.com/SonicVillains

Will you incorporate lesser known villains, like Katella, the Hooligans, Witchcart, Battle Kukus, and   Mammoth Mogul?  And what about fan favorite ones that aren't canonical like Mecha Sonic (SMBZ) and Nazo?  Either way I think this is awesome and will HAVE to give it a watch!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks awesome! (Well, the poster and idea. Trailer doesn't tell us much how it will look).

So my obvious questions

1) Is movie limited to villains on the cover or will there be more? (If the latter I encourage you to keep them as surprise though)

So far I'm kinda surprised Sleet is here. If idea is to give the representative to every part of the fandom, then Boom is suspiciously absent (unless it's Boom Metal Sonic. Who'll tell otherwise?). Aside for few obvious lack in games (Fang, Zavok, Nega, Mephiles,) I keep my fingers crossed for more Archie (at least Finivetus or Eclipse).

Of course, no one will complain if we limit to characters on poster, It's big project already and 12 villains will make it chaotic anyway.

2) Will it have plot or mostly a single long fight scene, ala Death Battle.

3) In most broad way, when do you expect to finish? Few months? Year or two?

4) Just to be sure, it's 2D animation?

Either way, good luck out there.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

If idea is to give the representative to every part of the fandom, then Boom is suspiciously absent (unless it's Boom Metal Sonic. Who'll tell otherwise?).

That's Shadow's Boom counterpart in the poster. Note the mini-quills, general bad attitude, and sheer hatred in his eyes, which are fixated directly on Sonic (seems that anyone who even looks like his Sonic gets his ire).

Also, he's practically a villain in that universe.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Looks awesome! (Well, the poster and idea. Trailer doesn't tell us much how it will look).

So my obvious questions

1) Is movie limited to villains on the cover or will there be more? (If the latter I encourage you to keep them as surprise though)

So far I'm kinda surprised Sleet is here. If idea is to give the representative to every part of the fandom, then Boom is suspiciously absent (unless it's Boom Metal Sonic. Who'll tell otherwise?). Aside for few obvious lack in games (Fang, Zavok, Nega, Mephiles,) I keep my fingers crossed for more Archie (at least Finivetus or Eclipse).

Of course, no one will complain if we limit to characters on poster, It's big project already and 12 villains will make it chaotic anyway.

2) Will it have plot or mostly a single long fight scene, ala Death Battle.

3) In most broad way, when do you expect to finish? Few months? Year or two?

4) Just to be sure, it's 2D animation?

Either way, good luck out there.

Thanks so much for the questions!

1.) I do have a few more surprise villains that I may talk about later on. One in particular I absolutely love, A W.T.F. Villain if you will. And yes, Sonic Wind's correct, that is Boom Shadow we see on the poster. I want to make sure that the villains we do see all have legit individual reasons for teaming up with Eggman. Gives them a sense of purpose so their not just characters fighting just cause ( Except Fleetway Super Sonic. He's just a literal demon of destruction.)

2.) There's definitely a plot going on behind the battle, and a definite reason for Eggman to want to do something so ambitious. The start of the film sets up any main character arcs, as Eggman goes around traveling the multiverse picking up baddies with motives and/or powers that interest him. The film takes place primarily within the modern game's canon. Both worlds.

3.) At the rate I intend to go, I really want this thing out by Christmas of 2019, but there's definitely a collaborative aspect amongst me and a few other talented fandom members that could make it a mid 2020 release.

4.) All 2d. And every character will more or less look like they were ripped from their source material ( Boom Shadow being drawn to match the style of Bob Rafei's concept sketches. )

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, SonicWind said:

I love this idea. Can't wait to see how Sonic and pals deal with this cavalcade of villains!

...But seeing that Boom!Shadow is among the villains makes me fear for their chances. We're talking about the same guy who curb-stomped his universe's Team Sonic in the cartoon's season 2 finale here (hell, he nearly destroyed his universe... deliberately).

Boom Shadow is a beast of his own. And regardless of how late he was added into the Boom franchise, the way they chose to write him is fascinating to me. If you listen to how he talks to and about Sonic, it almost sounds like there's a clash of morality goin' on, and a lack of faith in Sonic as a hero because of it. It's something that I definitely want to touch on with his appearance in Villains.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 9/7/2018 at 10:28 AM, tailsBOOM! said:

Will you incorporate lesser known villains, like Katella, the Hooligans, Witchcart, Battle Kukus, and   Mammoth Mogul?  And what about fan favorite ones that aren't canonical like Mecha Sonic (SMBZ) and Nazo?  Either way I think this is awesome and will HAVE to give it a watch!!!

I wouldnt want to step on Chakra X's shoes with adding Nazo outright, but he will be referenced! As for other obscure/ fanmade villains, you'll have to wait and see! 

• Thumbs Up 3

THIS HERE'S A CASTING CALL FOR VOICE ACTORS! If you've got any reels of your voice work available or have a link to any projects your voice can be heard, jot 'em down in the comments!! If you'd like a list of the characters up for grabs, I can DM you a list of characters you can audition for!

2018-19 AVATAR.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Just got done finishing up some renders/concept art for the actors I've gotten so far! This here's an extra for our section of the film that takes place in the human world. I'll echo the love for those beautiful Pixar-esque human designs we got in Unleashed. I really wanted to channel that for every non animal/anthro character in the SEGA Sonic Universe.

I wanted to give as much personality for the extras as everyone else to get the most mileage out of them for however many seconds they'll show up!

1822627973_SilviaCompressed.thumb.PNG.a1af9f803dd866ec05399e7fc68a3991.PNG

• Thumbs Up 7

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a busy couple of days for me IRL, but I’ve managed to squeeze in time to draw up some renders for the bios on the SONIC VILLAINS section of my site! Adding to the roster of heroes for the fan film is TEKNO THE CANARY from the UK Sonic the Comic magazine and @stconline! tumblr_pftzvdFPN01rbukwu_1280.pngtumblr_pftzv81erc1rbukwu_1280.pngtumblr_pftzv4UIQ51rbukwu_1280.pngtumblr_pftzuynFsA1rbukwu_1280.pngtumblr_pftzv6Owgs1rbukwu_1280.pngtumblr_pftzuqJuVg1rbukwu_1280.pngtumblr_pftzuswpc21rbukwu_1280.pngtumblr_pftzuv3OrD1rbukwu_1280.pngtumblr_pftzv1LMaA1rbukwu_1280.png

Adding to the Villains roster for the film is…. SARA THE CATGIRL!?

tumblr_pftzvaQIem1rbukwu_1280.png

Also, casting for Sonic Villains is now 97% finished!! Thanks to all whove auditioned thus far! Scripts will be sent out to confirmed actors as soon as every voice is found! If you’re into being an actor, DM me and I’ll send the list of characters still needed for the film!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

29 minutes ago, Miitoons said:

Adding to the Villains roster for the film is…. SARA THE CATGIRL!?

tumblr_pftzvaQIem1rbukwu_1280.png

Top 10 Anime Betrayals

Love your artstyle, by the way. Adds a lot of zany personality to the cast- Rosy especially!

• Chuckle 1

8 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Top 10 Anime Betrayals

Love your artstyle, by the way. Adds a lot of zany personality to the cast- Rosy especially!

Thanks so much! Sonic characters have such big expressive features and personalities, so i definitely wanna channel that in action and comedy for the animation. It just makes the craziness of the concept all the more fun to watch!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I just know they'll also make Chris Thorndyke evil/possessed XD

Anyway, with Eggman bringing in all these bad guys, he's not gonna also bring in all his interdimensional countparts too, is he?

On 9/7/2018 at 10:28 AM, tailsBOOM! said:

And what about fan favorite ones that aren't canonical like Mecha Sonic (SMBZ) and Nazo?

To be fair, those two are semi-official characters already, Mecha appearing in S3K before Metal was settled as Sonic's arch-rival, and Nazo was a different Super Sonic seen in an early Sonic X teaser. But as Miitoons said, it's better that they don't try competing with Chakra X, especially with his own upcoming fan-film about Nazo.

The focus is better off being put on real Sonic media. Admittedly, those to aren't really considered completely off limit villains like, say Eggette/Omletta or Sonic.EXE. Fleetway Super Sonic does already covers the "evil devil Sonic" to be fair, and kinda fills in Nazo's role too.

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, SupahBerry said:

I just know they'll also make Chris Thorndyke evil/possessed XD

Please.  Make.  This.   A.  Reality.

• Way Past Cool 1

2 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Please.  Make.  This.   A.  Reality.

I cannot confirm or deny an evil/possesed Chris Thorndyke, regardless of how much y'all would love to see Sonic punch him in the throat, and no matter how hilarious that would be.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

1) This artwork i s grrrrrrreeat. Knux and Cream are my favorites.

2) I always appreciate noticing some more obscure part of the franchise? Fleetway and Ova? Only more forgotten things are early days manga and Martin Adams books

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

1) This artwork i s grrrrrrreeat. Knux and Cream are my favorites.

2) I always appreciate noticing some more obscure part of the franchise? Fleetway and Ova? Only more forgotten things are early days manga and Martin Adams books

Thanks a bunch! And yeah, there's still so much about the franchise that goes unnoticed or pretty obscure. Fleetway especially has been around for almost as long as the Archie comics were and it's STILL a mystery to so many ppl despite every issue being available online, fascinatingly. That's definitely something I'm aiming for with Villains too. To bring awareness to all the other cool obscure stuff and even highlight things that are often shunned alot like Underground. They're all imperfect, but, hey, SOMEBODY in this fanbase likes 'em and they should be acknowledged.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm liking what I'm seeing of the project thus far! The art style is pretty fun and the idea is really interesting.

Any chance of seeing the likes of Enerjak!Knuckles or the Battle Bird Armada in this?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2018 at 7:00 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm liking what I'm seeing of the project thus far! The art style is pretty fun and the idea is really interesting.

Any chance of seeing the likes of Enerjak!Knuckles or the Battle Bird Armada in this?

Glad you're liking things so far. You guys haven't seen ANYTHING yet. ( well, yknow, especially since the first trailer isn;t out yet, so yeah! lol )

Enerjak would be quite the massive threat to just about EVERYBODY involved, nevermind the fact that in one alternate reality, he 'basically' murders everyone and uses their souls to power chrome machinery! He'll definitely be referenced ( as with Nazo ) but I'd save him for a sequel if I had the chance to plan for one. As for any of the Battle Birds, their'll some semblence of them here in some way.

Speakin' of birds, I just got done with a small animation test for Tekno to kind of get a feel for how to animate her beak as she talks, as well as to show you guys how I'm approaching the animation for the film ( at least for non-action sequences. ).

Tekno's voiced by the amazing SarahtheCatlove, who'll be playing her in the fanfilm! The animation is done using Toon Boom Harmony, the same program used in Sonic Mania Adventures, both Spongebob movies, Rick and Morty, and other shows and 2d films nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Wow, that animation is seriously impressive! It's just so bouncy and, well, animated. Definitely looking forward to the future of this project!

• Thumbs Up 1

Your art is wonderful and you have the animation chops to back it up too going by that test. I really cant wait to see more of this. The pictures you posted are insanely expressive and convey a lot of motion. Even the design for that original character is eyecatching. Chalk me up as interested. I regret not checking this topic sooner. 

• Thumbs Up 1