Awoo.

So urm... Can I get some feedback on my website?

Badnik Mechanic

Hello SSMB.

I'm trying to make a little website to show off what I can do, think of it as a glorified CV. Well... It's not finished yet, but would quite like some feedback on what I've done so far if anyone is willing to give it a look.

Just a few things to note first.

1: This is a free wordpress site. Meaning I only have access to the basic construction tools, no plugins, free themes and basic editing and manipulation options.

An example of this is the homepage. I would rather the banner be much smaller than it is, but there's no way to edit that on the free version. Same with the portfolios, I would rather it be set up as 3x? But this themed appears to limit it to 2X?, which is annoying. 

Even something as simple as removing the page title from the top of each page doesn't appear to be possible.

2: The site is still VERY unfinished. So some pages have no content, some have barely any content, some of you may even find the blog which needs completely sorting out. 

3: Site name is almost certainly going to change to my own name.

4: If you have any suggestions for better themes please say so (must be free ones).

What I would like are impressions on if some of the more completed pages are easier to read or if it's hard to follow what I've written, even if you don't understand some of the material, would be nice to know what people think.

Link as follows: https://readyplayercom.wordpress.com/

Feedback welcome.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Mechanic

• redhellc

• Kaze no Klonoa

• Eurisko

I took a look, and the one thing I'm not a fan of is the section below the main page where the search bar and other functions is. I'm not too sure if that's something you can change without changing the theme (I haven't used wordpress in forever since I use weebly for my personal site now) but all of that content would certainly be better put on the side or hidden entirely (except for the search bar and recent posts which sound like something you'd want to keep on your main page). Since this is more of a CV, it probably would be better that those looking at it don't see the meta and recent comments section.

Also, the format is pretty good on mobile but on a computer, there's a lot of scrolling that has to be done because the space you have for the articles you made on your work is very limited. That can make it very hard to add various images and other visual elements without it looking all messy.

Looks good Mayor , I like the Black and White aesthetic. Will look very good i bet when its finished. 

On an unrelated note I read the about section and fair play to you dude. I'm in my 30's too and decided to do something with my computer knowledge and troubleshooting skills last year. Just passed my certifications recently. Goes to show you can learn new things at anytime.

31 minutes ago, Kaze no Klonoa said:

I took a look, and the one thing I'm not a fan of is the section below the main page where the search bar and other functions is. 

[...]

Also, the format is pretty good on mobile but on a computer,

Yeah I keep forgetting those things are there.

Again I don't think it's something I can do too much about, I think I can completely remove them though which might be the best thing.

The comments are certainly a left over from when I used to use the site purely as a blog. That'll likely get sorted later once I finish adding content.

The mobile vs computer thing. The theme auto formats the site to pc, mobile and tablet. Again there's very little I can do being a free site.

Now, the site is best viewed on a PC and since its a CV site anyway I would imagine it's more than likely to be viewed on a PC or a large tablet at the most. So not too worried about the mobile scrolling but I admit it is very annoying.

8 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Yeah I keep forgetting those things are there.

Again I don't think it's something I can do too much about, I think I can completely remove them though which might be the best thing.

The comments are certainly a left over from when I used to use the site purely as a blog. That'll likely get sorted later once I finish adding content.

If you can remove them that'd be for the best!

I don't have much experience with wordpress, but I did design a few websites. I would say it has too much empty space makes that makes it a bit of chore to get around.

I'm not too fond of the font, although I have a bias towards sans-serif ones. Still I would say for the theme itself and your CV a more simple font would probably look better. If you want google fonts has some cool variety of free fonts ready for web use.

If you can't make the banner smaller maybe try to emphasize the top navigation buttons.

I would say to try to add some borders on the images of the works in the university works, they kin of blend with the white background.

Finally I would make the home page your about about page. If its a CV you need to put the focus on you and your work, while presenting it as fast and as simple as you can. So I think when someone enters your CV for the first time they should get a clear picture of who you are and what you are about.

I don't know if you already knew about these things, but this is what I saw at a quick glance. I hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 5:46 PM, Kaze no Klonoa said:

On 9/8/2018 at 6:13 PM, Eurisko said:

On 9/9/2018 at 6:16 PM, redhellc said:

Just quoting you all in a hope you get a notification.

I've done some more work on my site, was wondering if you could take a look at and see what you think.

https://readyplayercom.wordpress.com/

Changes: 

I've changed the theme - reason being is that I think it makes it a bit easier to navigate, search bar is at the top now and for when/if I decide to put a blog on the site, it'll actually show updates on the left.

University/Other work has a lot of content now, and featured images should now all work fine.

About me has my CV link, should actually open my info doc if you click it.

Known issues I cannot change.

The amount of white space to the left and right of article text. Only way I can fix that is to upgrade a paid for subscription and change the CSS directly.

Still only 2 column portfolio set up.

Depending on your screen size, there might be a large white space to the right of your screen. It's a template issue, again, can only be fixed by editing the CSS file and you can't do that on the free version.

@Mayor DA bit late checking this out dude , apologies. Really like the new layout , much much easier to navigate and the 'XBOX' green is a really nice touch. The only thing that I'd change is the main pic on the home page , doesn't really pop for me but I like the blurred out of focus subtlety of the image.

The Biggest changes I would do to the new one is center the whole thing and put the navigation bar in the left side, people gravitate towards the left corner at more frequently.

Besides that maybe the font on the navigation bar is a bit small and I would probably remove the side bar, its a bit useless.

I also like the green, but I would probably update the banner image on top with some splash of green to balance the colors.