Awoo.

Luigi's Mansion 3 - Switch, Halloween 2019

Ryannumber1gamer

After becoming apart of the after-life himself in Smash, Luigi has grabbed his ghost-catching weapon for another adventure through various mansions with incredibly questionable design that seems perfect for ghosts to hide. 

Unfortunately, since the trailer is so short, we don't know many details regarding the game as of yet. From the trailer however, not only does there appear to be quite a lot of environmental effects going on with ghosts completely destroying objects to attack Luigi, but one of the mansions seems to be apart of a giant hotel.  

• Thumbs Up 1

DnAZr8KUcAADj4x.jpg:large

Luigi is back and ready to capture more ghosts in #LuigisMansion 3 (working title), launching exclusively for #NintendoSwitch in 2019!

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking forward to it. I'm glad Luigi's Mansion has finally got a third game now we can safely say it's a Luigi focused series

My theory: We see at the end of the trailer that this game's mansion is a giant fucking skyscraper haunted house. From this I deduce that it will probably be the only mansion as it looks like a game's worth of content could fit in there. So I'm assuming, perhaps wishfully, that going back to a one mansion will have us go back to free exploration like the first one rather than level/mission based like Dark Moon.

I mean it could easily be level based in one mansion. And for all I know there's more skyscrapers they ain't showing us and this is the New Donk spooky district or something. But just spitballing and hoping.

I love 1 and 2 but they both have their own pluses and minuses that make it hard for me to put one over the other. I really hope 3 can manage the best of both, worst of neither.

• Thumbs Up 1

Absolutely my favorite announcement from today. Dark Moon was SOOOOOOO GOOOOOD and just the possibility of a high-definition console game with that much fun and charm has me SUPER excited.

I agree that it looks like they're returning to the single-mansion model, and a hotel provides a sufficiently enlarged and varied space to fit in a full modern Luigi's Mansion experience.  I hope that they manage to squeeze in a varied set of environments within the hotel; I haven't played the original, just Luigi's Mansion 2, and the highlight of that game for me was the diverse set of locations, even while ultimately they felt constrained by their individually small size.  I'm looking forward to this potentially being a great exploration experience.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm guessing Luigi's Mansion 1 and 2 will get eventually a Switch port to promote this next year. I mean, if they keep the horror themes, this third title will probably be released in October, so there's a lot of time in between.

1 hour ago, Teoskaven said:

I'm guessing Luigi's Mansion 1 and 2 will get eventually a Switch port to promote this next year. I mean, if they keep the horror themes, this third title will probably be released in October, so there's a lot of time in between.

When Dark Moon released it was like spring time. So it might not make it to halloween

1 hour ago, Teoskaven said:

I wish. I'm excited for this title and I'd like to catch up on the series, if they don't come out on Switch I guess I'll have to wait more than a year.

3 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

I can't really see that happening to be honest.  The 3DS is still an active system, once Luigi's Mansion 1 is out, there's really no major obstacles getting in the way of someone experiencing the series so far.

But yeah, this was the biggest surprise of the Direct for me, never expected a new Luigi's Mansion game right off the bat.  Really looking forward to this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just noticed something in one of the screenshots:

kC4WyKO.jpg

Directly above Luigi are posters of himself and Mario, with black crosses inked over them.  Nothing too surprising there; we've seen disturbed Mario paraphernalia elsewhere in the trailer.  But the side posters - over on the left, that looks like Toad... and on the right, that can only be Peach.  Could the whole gang be turning up for this game?

• My Emmerdoods 1

As dope as it is, it does kinda come off that Nintendo seems to be leaning a bit heavy on Gamecube nostalgia.

Not that I'm complaining. The Gamecube was fantastic.

Well I suppose it could be said Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion are classic Gamecube games so Nintendo has entered a Gamecube remembrance phase buuuuuuut I don't think Gamecube nostalgia actually has anything to do with what we're seeing, I think they're simply continuing series that did very well on 3DS that also just happened to start on the Cube. 

In other news, one thing I got excited for playin' Switch today? HD Rumble controls, I think those'll make a great Poltergust. They could turn up the resistance, make your joycons get heavier as the ghost is trying to escape. I hope we get some cool stuff like that. I always thought the Wii remote and nunchuck would have been good a for a Luigi's Mansion but that unfortunately never happened. This could be better.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can definitely see the encouraged controller style for this game being detached joycons, like Odyssey.  If that's the case, it'll have all the advantages of a Wiimote + Nunchuk Luigi's Mansion game and then some.

I'm pretty sure I used to impulsively hoist the original gamecube controller up like a fishing rod when sucking up difficult ghosts in the original, regardless of the fact that it didn't make any difference, just felt good lol.

Loved the announcement. I was expecting this to be saved for E3 2019 after Luigi's Mansion 3D comes out, but nope, it's rolling right in! It apparently takes place in a hotel, which I really like. It would be so easy to just make another different looking mansion to fit the series title. Speaking of which, Dark Moon is a dumb name that should have just been Luigi's MansionS, and maybe the S could even look distorted to simultaneously resemble a 2, but I digress.

But I must say that the Dark Moon elements turn me off immediately. I appreciated certain aspects of Dark Moon like the refined controls/combat system, Luigi's vivid animations, puzzles, and varied location themes. But the mission-based format, generic ghost designs, and overall lighthearted slapstick atmosphere felt like a huge step down.

You can tell the difference between the two games in an aspect as simple as the sound design, where Dark Moon plays over the top ghoulish music all the time while the original Luigi's Mansion has pure silence whenever Luigi slowly opens a door with a new key or when you can only hear Luigi whistling in lit rooms while dark rooms are silent or the the mansion exterior having a single solemn harp play.

Dark Moon is a perfectly fine game on its own, don't get me wrong. If it was the first and only previous Luigi's Mansion game, I would not complain at all because it would be exactly what I would expect from a Ghostbusters-esque Mario spinoff. People who only played that game probably wouldn't care much about the original did since Dark Moon looks bigger and better with the multiple mansions and such.

But that's pretty much my problem. The series lost its unique creepy trapped overworld ambience in a way that feels like it was, say, "Mariofied". The linear A-B missions, the lighthearted nature, no actual non-traditional Mario series characters like the Portrait Ghosts, recycling the same kidnapping plot but with Mario instead of Peach, and even the mansion locale tropes being styled like worlds. The first few Mario RPGs, Yoshi, and Wario are allowed to be wildly different from Mario when it comes to their gameplay, casts, dialogue, tone, and aesthetic. Which is why I wish Luigi could get that much experimental freedom again, although Dark Moon still obviously stands out from the rest of the series.

Dark Moon feels a lot like so many animated movies that wear horror tropes like a superficial costume that's really hiding goofy kid antics underneath, like the average Halloween cartoon special or The Nightmare Before Chrustmas. Meanwhile, the original is actually willing to be creepy and memorably suspenseful like, say, Coraline. One of the only genuinely unsettling animated horror movies aimed at kids. You can still have lighthearted moments here and there and some humor, but I would appreciate that not being the main spotlight.

I look at those generic blue Casper ghosts and the purple toony gates and automatically sigh disappointment. But the game looks like it might center around only one hotel-themed skyscraper and maybe switching up locale themes every certain amount of rooms/floors, and that can work very well. And a single hotel setting could easily work in miniboss ghosts like the Portrait Ghosts again, which I really hope Next Level Games is interested in after remaking the original Luigi's Mansion.

If the foreboding atmosphere, single overworld, and boss ghosts from the first game could be combined with the refined controls, level design, and animations/cutscenes from the second game, Luigi's Mansion 3 could easily become my game of the year in 2019. Add in some Joycon co-op or online multiplayer and it could become one of my favorite games of all time. Although I would prefer a second player being someone like E. Gadd or Daisy instead of some green ectoplasm Luigi abomination like in Luigi's Mansion 3D and I'm not too sure how comfortable the Joycons are with using their should buttons to suck and blow.

• 8 months later...

Wield the upgraded Poltergust G-00 to slam and blow away the ghosts’ defenses, or summon Gooigi, an all-green doppelganger that can help Luigi overcome obstacles he can’t get past alone. In ScareScraper mode, race the timer to clear various objectives on a series of floors with up to 8 players. Luigi’s Mansion 3 will suddenly appear on the Nintendo Switch this holiday 2019!

Delve into the Paranormal Productions floor and get your first look at a monstrous boss. Stay tuned for more coverage of the game from E3 2019.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:19 PM, Chili Dawg said:

I love 1 and 2 but they both have their own pluses and minuses that make it hard for me to put one over the other. I really hope 3 can manage the best of both, worst of neither.

Well it sure as hell looks like NLG been gettin' my letters!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm happy to see its coming along nicely! Graphic-wise it looks like an interactive animated movie! Definitely a game that'll push me to finally save for a Switch.

Its just weird how in the US we'll of had:

-Luigi's Mansion

-Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

-Luigi's Mansion 3

...Why did they change LM2 to Dark Moon again? It's just like what happened with the original Jurassic Park movies. lol

The game's looking great; my main concern, environmental diversity, has definitely been addressed.  I'm glad they were able to create a game which appears to be taking the best of both its predecessors.

2 hours ago, Austroid said:

...Why did they change LM2 to Dark Moon again? It's just like what happened with the original Jurassic Park movies. lol

Yoshi's Island 2 also became Yoshi's Island DS at the last minute...  I feel like there might be more examples of this out there.  Perhaps NoA thinks that games with subtitles sell better, or that cross-platform numbered sequels put people off.  It will have been some calculation based on market research.

Diving head first into the hype train on this one.  Luiigi's Mansion is one of my favorite GameCube games, and this looks like a proper continuation of it.  Can't wait for more!

22 hours ago, Austroid said:

I assume the logic at the time was that while it was certainly a sequel, it had a very different structure to the original game, so localization felt it wouldn't be "accurate" to call it LM2. Which was a reasonable judgment I think based on how people seemed to feel about the game.

Of course, that just makes it a little weird that 3 is called, well, 3.

Also since I don't see it mentioned outright so far in this topic, it's been confirmed that the mission structure is gone.

• Dark Moon’s mission structure, which required players to start the same level multiple times to pursue various objectives, has been replaced with a more traditional free-flowing approach to exploration.

There's other cool tidbits in the preview too!

• Thumbs Up 1

I know this is expecting too much from a Mario game, but I hope King Boo isn't the real Big Bad this time. With all these creative ghosts designs, I'd rather see something new.

Some renders and photos of the new ghosts:

switch-luigismansion3-e3-artwork-140.900

switch-luigismansion3-e3-artwork-105.lar

yJs0I2P.png

D80bV5rWsAwFpBL.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Cayenne said:

I know this is expecting too much from a Mario game, but I hope King Boo isn't the real Big Bad this time. With all these creative ghosts designs, I'd rather see something new.

Do you want it to be Boohemoth?

image.thumb.png.94b66d42baeaa6cce12400aa0f502917.png

This is a good opportunity you know.