Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros U - Deluxe - Switch - January 11th 2019

Ryannumber1gamer

Just announced during the Direct, the rumours ended up true - New Super Mario Bros U is getting a deluxe port to the Switch! Taking a title right from SMB Deluxe on Game Boy Colour, not only will the game feature the original games' features, but will try to fix some of the stuff NSMBU has been lambasted for. The blue toad has been dropped and replacing him will be Toadette and Nabbit. Furthermore, we'll have New Super Luigi U as an additional mode for free.

They didn't mention much else unfortunately however. 

Another let's release a game that would have sold more if it wasnt on the failed wii u. Luckily again I dont have this game so it's not to bad for me. But I will say the toadette peach power up is bs and a cop out to having her playable.

Huh, well I guess my Mario Maker > New Series was wrong. At least they're throwing in some actual characters this time around so there's that.

Can't say I'll pick it up due to already having U and being pretty underwhelmed by it already though.

Toadette also becomes Peachette when she gets a mushroom. Which leads to all sorts of lore questions. 🤔

This is a fantastic game, by the way. Don't let yourself be fooled by the weak graphics and music.

2a5.jpg

tenor.gif

also I remember selling off my Wii U copy for Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. That was the biggest mistake of my life, not because I loved NSMBU but because Paper Jam is garbage

I'll probably get this again

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

I can only hope that something like this is meant to hold us for a bit while they work on a proper new 2D game that has nothing to do with NSMB

• Thumbs Up 1

Never got to play NSMBU so this'll actually be something I look forward to. 

8 minutes ago, Osmium said:

I can only hope that something like this is meant to hold us for a bit while they work on a proper new 2D game that has nothing to do with NSMB

I just want a Mario Maker port or sequel or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Never got to play NSMBU so this'll actually be something I look forward to. 

I just want a Mario Maker port or sequel or something.

It would be nice to have a updated Mario Maker with slopes and whatnot, but I'm really itching to see a new incarnation of 2D Mario after Odyssey that would show 2D Mario isn't dead and creatively bankrupt. The NSMB series is over a decade old now, it's time for a real new 2D Mario that would blow everyone's socks off. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I really thought Peach was playable, but I guess I wasn't paying enough attention at this point in the Direct. Y'know, looking at this Peachette transformation, I can't not think of that Omelette/Eggette Mania fan character.

• Thumbs Up 3

Official announcement trailer:

Since U was by far my favorite entry in the New series, and Toadette's my favorite member of her wretched species, I'm definitely picking this up! And I'm cool with Peach not being playable in favor of giving her powers (read: Her only redeeming qualities) to a much better character- Though she's also accumulated Daisy's double-jump and Yarn Yoshi's anti-pit abilities. I think we may have an assimilation going on in the Mushroom Kingdom...

On a side note, Nabbit seems to have a new voice. Neat.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting to see this get a port kinda late in the game. Not sure if I'll pick this up as it doesn't offer that much above the Wii U versions I already own besides portability, but I might. Peachette is a neat, yet weird way to get playable Peach in.

Also, this game has THE SHINIEST freaking cover:

WqyYpbE.jpg

30 minutes ago, Sean said:

also I remember selling off my Wii U copy for Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. That was the biggest mistake of my life, not because I loved NSMBU but because Paper Jam is garbage

I'll probably get this again

ADcYS2q.gif

I...disagree wholeheartedly...at least what's left of it.

I like that cover a lot.

I skipped Mario Bros U the first time but I might give it a shot here. I actually have been feeling the itch for a 2D Mario game lately so I'll probably bite.

2 hours ago, Marcello said:

Toadette also becomes Peachette when she gets a mushroom. Which leads to all sorts of lore questions. 🤔

When I saw the promo art I just thought Peach got a new outfit... So it's actually a crown item transformed Toadette?! You are correct... this really does bring up a lot of lore questions. And honestly I like Peachette's design more then the real Peach. xD

• Thumbs Up 1

Toadette and Peachette are interesting honestly. I hope that Blue Toad is still in there for regular 4P gameplay, but I do like the concession of including a unique power-up for Toadette to bring in Peach. 

And can we just appreciate how Toadette was originally just a clone character created for Double Dash so has slowly climbed the ranks to appear in a Mario platformer? (After also going through an RPG NPC appearance and being a leading character in Treasure Tracker). It would seem that she's more likely to appear in Smash than Waluigi at this point.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm probably the only person bothered by this, but why they kept Yellow Toad?

At first, THE Toad was red as every other.

In World 3D he's blue.

Now we're keeping yellow.

My head, I don't know what is true anymore! (And don't tell me those are 3 different Toads. That only makes things worse).

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Marcello said:

Toadette also becomes Peachette when she gets a mushroom. Which leads to all sorts of lore questions. 🤔

You just know we're gonna have to get at least 5 Game Theory videos spewing nonsense about this with horrible clickbaity thumbnails.

Anyway, out of all the remaining WiiU games to be ported, this one wasn't one i was expecting this soon, but i guess it's better this way than making another NSMB since at this point the games were feeling redundant.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nabbit and Toadette appear to be being included as various flavours of Easy Mode.  It's interesting that the characters in the game were originally all effectively identical - I'm not sure if they had any gameplay differences at all - but now they're being diversified; perhaps in response to 3D World.

It's curious that they went with Toadette and the strange Peachette transformation as opposed to Princess Daisy as a way of tacitly including Peach; I guess they wanted the non-Bros. characters to still have general Toad proportions...?  Plus it lets them put something Peach-like on the cover art.  It all feels a bit roundabout and the result definitely looks uneven, but I see their logic.

I assume they kept Yellow Toad only as opposed to replacing him with regular Toad because regular Toad runs Toad Houses?  And Blue Toad didn't make the cut as his colour scheme overlapped with Mario and Luigi, and neighboured too closely to Nabbit.  Yellow Toad keeps the colour scheme varied.  I sense that in the future they might just use regular Toad and Toadette instead of the Blue and Yellow doppelgangers, which always struck me as odd inclusions.

I'd agree that I'm more interested in a new 2D Mario game at this point, a 2D game with the production values of the recent 3D games, something that'll blow me away.  But this shows that they still care, and hopefully it's to tide us over while we wait for a new New experience.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Toadette/Peachette thing is kinda bizarre when Nabbit already served as easy mode.  Like Blue Blood I think it'd be dumb if Blue Toad wasn't included because without him there isn't any way to play a balanced four-player game where everyone has the same abilities.

This is also kind of a missed opportunity - they could have included the many characters from Mario Run as a bonus or something, but alas.

I also feel it's a missed opportunity in that a compilation of all five NSMB games would've been a great send-off for the series.  They could've even called it "New Super Mario All-Stars" or something.  Shame they took the more obvious route.

The best NSMB game being portable at last is very nice, but without a significant amount of new levels, it's gonna be a hard-sell for me to double-dip.

• Thumbs Up 2

Considering that the direct said "Toad" and not "Yellow Toad," I'm just wondering why bother keeping Wolley when they could just put in actual Toad/Captain Toad (and I don't mean Yvan like in 3D World)?

• Thumbs Up 1

Toadette appears to function the same way as everyone else until she gets the Super Crown, so if Blue Toad really isn't here, then the best way to balance things would be to make the Super Crown only show up in an easier mode or have some sort of option/toggle, ala Funky Mode from Tropical Freeze.

3 hours ago, Tailikku said:

Considering that the direct said "Toad" and not "Yellow Toad," I'm just wondering why bother keeping Wolley when they could just put in actual Toad/Captain Toad (and I don't mean Yvan like in 3D World)?

So everyone could have their own color to prevent potential character confusion with all of the alternate palettes provided by the power-ups and whatnot, I'd imagine.

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_pf1nkoEzFs1v11hun_1280.png

(Sadly, I couldn't find the source of this drawing)

I'm not into the NSMB games, but I hope this means that Super Mario 3D World is also coming to Switch. It's one of the few WiiU titles that still need to be salvaged.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1