Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros U - Deluxe - Switch - January 11th 2019

Ryannumber1gamer

3 hours ago, JezMM said:

Super Mario Run is heavily based off the NSMB engine and has Peach not just platforming like the best of them but doing forward rolls and somersaults n' shit.  The "her dress would be hard to animate" reason has been proven dumb by Nintendo themselves.

Was this reason ever serious? Cause I always thought they were just joking when they said that, while the real reasons were simply because they wanted everyone to play the same and because the super simple stories just have Peach as a damsel. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm still pretty miffed that if I want to play as toadette, by extension i'd also have to play as peach (and I hate peach) so I hope there is a way to play the game normally with toadette.

11 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Was this reason ever serious? Cause I always thought they were just joking when they said that, while the real reasons were simply because they wanted everyone to play the same and because the super simple stories just have Peach as a damsel. 

I agree, it never struck me as anything more than an excuse rather than something they actually sincerely believed.

1 minute ago, MegasonicZX said:

I'm still pretty miffed that if I want to play as toadette, by extension i'd also have to play as peach (and I hate peach) so I hope there is a way to play the game normally with toadette.

Don't pick up the Super Crown?

12 hours ago, FFWF said:

That's not really the point though...

I'm curious about how the Super Crown affects other characters; will it just give them points or will it act like a Mushroom? Obviously I'm not expecting transformations for them, but it seems so strange that in a game all about identical characters that Toadette gets a unique power-up. At least Nabbit is a more consistent break to the rules.

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, MegasonicZX said:

I think that's really the biggest problem with this move. By throwing both characters a small bone, it inherently also kinda screws them both over. 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

I agree, it never struck me as anything more than an excuse rather than something they actually sincerely believed.

Wouldn't that still leave me doing a one hit run though? Not only that, it just seems like a needless hassle to have to avoid a power up to keep using the character I want to use.

31 minutes ago, MegasonicZX said:

Wouldn't that still leave me doing a one hit run though? Not only that, it just seems like a needless hassle to have to avoid a power up to keep using the character I want to use.

Are you assuming that the Super Crown will be the ONLY power up Toadette can ever get?  Because that's wrong, the trailer showed Toadette using Ice Flowers, so it's probably safe to assume that she'll be able to use anything the others can.  The Super Crown will probably just be an extra power up that only shows up when she's in play.  And it probably just won't work for anyone other than her.

Setting that aside, I have to say that, honestly?  Everything about Toadette in this game just screams "kneejerk response."  People complained about having two random toads, so they dumped one and replaced him with a more unique one.  People complained about Peach not being playable, so they bullshit invent a way to get Toadette to also be Peach...and then give her Peach's floating ability...and also Daisy's double jump from Super Mario Run.

I honestly thought what they did with Nabbit in Luigi U was dumb, but this is dumb to the second power.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, G-Force said:

Are you assuming that the Super Crown will be the ONLY power up Toadette can ever get?  Because that's wrong, the trailer showed Toadette using Ice Flowers, so it's probably safe to assume that she'll be able to use anything the others can.  The Super Crown will probably just be an extra power up that only shows up when she's in play.  And it probably just won't work for anyone other than her.

Setting that aside, I have to say that, honestly?  Everything about Toadette in this game just screams "kneejerk response."  People complained about having two random toads, so they dumped one and replaced him with a more unique one.  People complained about Peach not being playable, so they bullshit invent a way to get Toadette to also be Peach...and then give her Peach's floating ability...and also Daisy's double jump from Super Mario Run.

I honestly thought what they did with Nabbit in Luigi U was dumb, but this is dumb to the second power.

Didn't notice her using other power ups during the trailer, I probably just missed it, thanks for clearing that up.

2 minutes ago, MegasonicZX said:

Didn't notice her using other power ups during the trailer, I probably just missed it, thanks for clearing that up.

Dont think she used the power up per say but she did have a color palette of having the ice flower powerup.

6 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

That's not really the point though...

I'm curious about how the Super Crown affects other characters; will it just give them points or will it act like a Mushroom? Obviously I'm not existing transformations for them, but it seems so strange that in a game all about identical characters that Toadette gets a unique power-up. At least Nabbit is a more consistent break to the rules.

It's Toadette exclusive...

7 hours ago, G-Force said:

I am actually starting to wonder now if there's somebody important at Nintendo who's slightly ambivalent about promoting Daisy to a mainline Mario game.  It seems to have been slightly easier for Toadette to break through, but perhaps being a Toad means that's less of a big deal?

It'll be very interesting to see the playable cast of the next true NSMB game.

6 hours ago, Tails spin said:

Dont think she used the power up per say but she did have a color palette of having the ice flower powerup.

There is a clip in the trailer where Toadette uses a Fire Flower - palette, fireballs, and all.

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

The Super Crown must be able to appear in multiplayer, because the trailer closers with a gameplay clip involving Peachette and three other characters; therefore, it must be possible for other characters to pick up the Super Crown.  I'm guessing it'll act as a standard Mushroom for them, but who knows.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Didn't I say that? However when you're playing in multiplayer and a Super Crown shows up, I would like to know what happens if another character picks it up. I expect it will just give them points or act like a regular mushroom. It won't have any other special effects. At worst, the other characters won't be able to pick it up at all, just passing through it if they try.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Outside of the 1-time Pit avoidance, it's literally just the Flying Squirrel suit...

So why would it effect anyone else?

It's not the Flying Squirrel suit. It's a double jump, hover and one-time pit avoidance. Toadette seems to have access to all the other power-ups.

The point is that this power-up will appear even when other characters are in play, as long as Toadette is also there. So it would be nice to know what happens, if anything, when other characters touch it. The Peachette transformation is obviously exclusive to Toadette, and the other characters aren't getting unique power-ups.

What aren't you getting? Nobody is expecting anything special when Mario or anyone else gets the Super Crown. We're just speculating what will happen in that circumstance, and it would make sense for it just to give points or a change from small to big Mario. It would be strange for other characters not to be able do pick it up at all.

It would be kinda funny if the crown mushroom actively avoided the other players and made fast dodges and jumps and stuff, essentially making it an impossible chase that also makes it more difficult for the toadette player to grab 

super_crown_by_ayyk92-dcn900k.png

At this rate,  who would even be surprised if "Bowsette", becomes canon at some point?

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

super_crown_by_ayyk92-dcn900k.png

At this rate,  who would even be surprised if "Bowsette", becomes canon at some point?

Not really, no. The only series I see something like that being canon would be Mario & Luigi, and that's just because that's the only game with enough self-aware writing that they'd let Bowser do something smart and impersonate Peach to take the throne or something while making jokes about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Mario & Luigi, and that's just because that's the only game with enough self-aware writing that they'd let Bowser do something smart and impersonate Peach to take the throne

Not necessarily,  ever since 3D Land,  in the mainline series,  Bowser's been wisening up lately. 

That said, I think it's more so that Nintendo would just find it too weird,  despite it being a clever idea. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh the Bowsette idea is great! I do wish the crown item just worked on everybody for the pure laughs of it all... regardless if it creeps out people who takes things to seriously. =P

• Fist Bump 1

Anyway, I for one would go for the oppoisite route with Toadette. I'd imagine her gimmick can extend on the Super Crown and the cap powerups from SM64DS. She can become every playable character in the game as the same character, with drawbacks being can't use regular powerups and has a very weak default state. Although this would really only work if each character plays differently and would included a wider variety of characters like Wario and Yoshi.

A Bowser styled Peach is one thing... But what if we got a Pink Toad styled Bowser or Donkey Kong?????

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Heh the Bowsette idea is great! I do wish the crown item just worked on everybody for the pure laughs of it all... regardless if it creeps out people who takes things to seriously. =P

1537631412910m.jpg

Makes you wonder,  doesn't it?

And goodness imagine it being a power up in the new Smash game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Lmao it's spreading:

613.png

1f8.png

I love how this stuff is a natural extrapolation of a power-up Nintendo themselves devised. Nintendo, you fools, you brought this on yourselves. 

• Thumbs Up 1