Awoo.

Production Manager on Sonic Mania Adventure confirms new animated series on Instagram

Wraith

I think Classic has been overused too, Modern is technically the main face of Sonic so people don't really complain about him, I enjoy both but I'm mostly sick of crossovers with 2 Sonics.

*cough* Modern has a better design and personality anyway *cough*

• Thumbs Up 2

My only qualm with Classic/Modern is how they keep shoving Classic Sonic or Classic Sonic imagery into the Modern titles. All it says to me is that Sonic Team doesn't have enough faith in Modern Sonic to stand on his own without some sort of stupid pointless gimmick. If they kept them completely separate from each other, something like the various branches of Mega Man then that would keep everyone happy. Or at least most people.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Parax said:

HOLY SHIT YES PLEASE

I loved Mania Adventures so much, so if we can get another animated series I'm down for it!

Preferably an Anime like Sonic X, the OVA and Adventures!!!

4 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

I have nothing against Classic Sonic. But can we all agree to this comment here? Even SEGA seems to agree by not using her classic design much.

Don't tell this to @Sonic Fan J XD

4 hours ago, Unknown User said:

I don't dislike her,  Sega Classic Amy's design is just boring and ugly. I don't like her being a child and I don't like her looking like Sonic in a dress. I wonder why the only female character has to be 8, you know?

She's actually 12

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Unknown User said:

1) Tails used to be 11.

2) Kid characters that act like kids in a series that is supposed to be a slightly edgy (the original meaning, not the "CRINGE LOLZ" meaning), action-adventure series is unnecessary. Tails at least acts like a 16 year old, every other child character in Sonic acts like a child.

3) What do you think is a good female character design for Sonic then?

1) Tails was 11 in the Archie Comics (Never the games)

2) If you say so.  I personally think that a child character shouldn't be forced to act like a teen- especially when it would often times be forced.  Secondly, the edginess is the very thing that has pissed off the majority of the fan base-  It's all I've known for the most part, but I think a new Sonic cartoon should appeal to fans of both classic and modern times.  Like they don't have to double down on either end, just put the best characters and parts of both.  Not too edgy, and not too (UGH hate using this term that isn't exactly true) "soft."

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Tails official age has always been 8, not counting spinoff stuff like the comics. And I never been a fan of creators making kid characters act like adult characters mentally unless there is a point to it in storytelling to some degree. Otherwise it just seems like lazy bad writing... AKA they want to create kid characters... but not deal with the challenge and reality of them being actual kids.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Amy's modern look is the best and her classic design looks good to you can really see that she wants to attract Sonic with her looks when going from classic to modern. Mania missed out on having Amy trying to hug Sonic when he's going through a stage like Sonic CD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Classic, Modern, I don't care what form of Sonic they animate, I just wanna see the same kind of energy and fun like they showed in Mania Adventures if they decide to expand the web animation stuff.

I do hope Mr Hesse sticks around too, he's got a style that's just brilliant!

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Yeah Tails official age has always been 8, not counting spinoff stuff like the comics. And I never been a fan of creators making kid characters act like adult characters mentally unless there is a point to it in storytelling to some degree. Otherwise it just seems like lazy bad writing... AKA they want to create kid characters... but not deal with the challenge and reality of them being actual kids.

That's why I loved Tails in Boom and am a big fan of Charmy. I just appreciate actual kid characteristics more than most seem to. I only find it annoying when they're useless or disruptive to the point of actively working against the protagonists by upping the brattiness. Writing children is one of the hardest things to do in fiction.

Anyway, about this news in general, I have an inkling it might be more Modern focused, only because Amy was mentioned in the hashtags on that Twitter post. I know she has a classic design but it's not been used since... 

... actually, canonically, I don't think it's been used since Sonic R. You got your comics and what not but.. yeah, I don't think it's been used since then.

I also don't see them bringing it back either. At least not now. If the fan outcry has told them anything it's that there's a huge demand for it but I'd have to imagine that'd be a thing they'd save for a Mania sequel. 

Just a hunch but I feel it's a fairly strong one. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's hoping for a 2D animated Modern Sonic show. One can dream.

5 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I'm never going to understand this mindset; we practically only just got classic Sonic back after years of modern only, how can anyone be more sick of the former than the latter?

It's not just Classic Sonic, it's everything related to him. For the past 7 years all we've had was nostalgia pandering for Classic Sonic fans.

Sonic 4, Sonic Generations, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Forces. And that's not even counting spin-offs like Classic Sonic in Sonic Dash or shoehorning Green Hill Zone in everything ever.

So yeah, when people say they're tired of Classic Sonic at this point, I could see where they're coming from. Adventure and Modern fans got nothing these past 6-7 years.

Sonic Mania and Mania Adventures were amazing though.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the classic designs more than modern* and welcome any opportunity to use them again outside of a Generations/Forces situation.

*including Amy's

-shrug-

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

*including Amy's

-shrug-

I like all 3 of Amy's designs (Classic/Modern/Boom) and have no problems with her classic design that is on the same charming level as Minnie Mouse. I know I would enjoy basically a longer version of Sonic Mania Adventures as the new show... For example maybe 25 episodes that each are 5 minutes? Would be cool to me!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

Here's hoping for a 2D animated Modern Sonic show. One can dream.

It's not just Classic Sonic, it's everything related to him. For the past 7 years all we've had was nostalgia pandering for Classic Sonic fans.

Sonic 4, Sonic Generations, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Forces. And that's not even counting spin-offs like Classic Sonic in Sonic Dash or shoehorning Green Hill Zone in everything ever.

So yeah, when people say they're tired of Classic Sonic at this point, I could see where they're coming from. Adventure and Modern fans got nothing these past 6-7 years.

Sonic Mania and Mania Adventures were amazing though.

It's easier to see it from the point of view of someone who isn't a Classic fan and is getting more of it shoehorned into the Modern stuff. Like me. I still very much enjoyed Sonic Mania Adventures. It's just that when you're hungry for a more Modern Sonic experience and you're saddled with something that keeps trying to be this weird Frankenstein's monster of Classic and Modern elements it just doesn't feel like it's a thing anymore. Sonic Mania and Sonic Mania Adventures cemented itself as its own thing. It's clear and concise in what it is. Modern Sonic isn't. So when you also shove Classic Sonic into Forces on top of that, it does feel like the Classic stuff has taken over a bit.

Fact of the matter is that the Modern aesthetic, the way I knew it, kind of... doesn't really feel like it exists all that much anymore. At least not when it comes to the games. Despite some of the different tones these games had, the two Adventures, Heroes, the Sonic X anime, and even Unleashed felt like a different handling of the same world and characters. The stuff coming out nowadays doesn't quite have the same feel. I can't entirely put my finger on it. I know what the differences are technically but to me everything in that era, even the more cheesy stuff, still felt cool, compared to today where everything feels... odd. It's less action-adventure cartoon and more cartoon-cartoon. I guess????

Except it's like a cartoon that doesn't know it's a cartoon and when it occasionally remembers that it is, it only half-tries to do something with it... It's very strange.

There's a very established version of Classic Sonic that exists and is confident in what it is. Modern Sonic isn't confident in what it is. They don't even know what it is right now.

The thing that feels the most like what I remember Modern Sonic being is the current run of IDW comics but there's only so much those can do for me. Even an animated series might not be able to fill the void of the games, if I'm being honest. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

So when you also shove Classic Sonic into Forces on top of that, it does feel like the Classic stuff has taken over a bit.

I think most of us fans, even the diehard classic fans can agree that Classic Sonic had no place in Sonic Forces and we don't want him in the Modern Sonic games anymore. The 2 Sonic universes are best left separate from now on where they can run off doing their own thing instead of half heartedly trying to combo the 2 together hurting both of them as a result. Sonic Generations should be the only type of game where we see the different Sonic incarnations being together, and never always.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I think most of us fans, even the die hard classic fans can agree that Classic Sonic had no place in Sonic Forces and we don't want him in the Modern Sonic games anymore. The 2 Sonic universes are best left separate from now on where they can run off doing their own thing instead of half heartedly trying to combo the 2 together hurting both of them as a result. Sonic Generations should be the only type of game where we see the different Sonic incarnations being together, and never always.

I tolerated it in Generations because it was a neat idea for the 20th Anniversary at the time. I was never on board with everyone's desire for a Generations 2 immediately after it.

I haven't heard a single person asking for a Generations 2 after Forces came out though. Fancy that. 

It's fine if Sonic has two versions of itself. Megaman does it. Mario does it. Sonic can do it. They just need to be more sure of themselves when it comes to Modern Sonic.

That means actually making him 3D again and knocking off all the shoehorned Classic stuff, for a start.

I swear to God, there's a bigger chance Green Hill Zone will be a playable character in the next 3D Sonic game then there is Tails.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I tolerated it in Generations because it was a neat idea for the 20th Anniversary at the time. I was never on board with everyone's desire for a Generations 2 immediately after it.

I haven't heard a single person asking for a Generations 2 after Forces came out though. Fancy that. 

It's fine if Sonic has two versions of itself. Megaman does it. Mario does it. Sonic can do it. They just need to be more sure of themselves when it comes to Modern Sonic.

That means actually making him 3D again and knocking off all the shoehorned Classic stuff. 

I swear to God, there's a bigger chance Green Hill Zone will be a playable character in the next 3D Sonic game then there is Tails.

THAT'S the thing that bothers me-  They treat him like a pushover when he is supposed to be Sonic's right hand man.  He's literally more known for saying "True Dat" and screaming for his though- to-be-dead best friend than he is for doing anything important in Forces.  He needs to be shown more love by SEGA beyond having a plethora of items in the online shop and a 3DS re-release of his solo game.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, tailsBOOM! said:

THAT'S the thing that bothers me-  They treat him like a pushover when he is supposed to be Sonic's right hand man.  He's literally more known for saying "True Dat" and screaming for his though- to-be-dead best friend than he is for doing anything important in Forces.  He needs to be shown more love by SEGA beyond having a plethora of items in the online shop and a 3DS re-release of his solo game.

Tails is weird because it's literally only the Modern 3D games where's he's treated like this.

In Mania Adventures, he was awesome.

In both the comics, he's great.

In Boom, he's badass.

I don't really understand why he trips and falls face first in the toilet whenever it's specifically time for him to appear in a Modern 3D Sonic game. 

Everything about the Modern games is confused. I really, really hope that end of the series gets it's shit together because everything else surrounding Sonic (aside from the movie) feels like it knows what it's doing. And that's weird. It's not normal.

• Thumbs Up 6

7 hours ago, Failinhearts said:

I just hope whatever series this'll be... I hope it isn't Classic.

After Mania, Forces, Mania and... Mania, I'm kinda sick of him at this point.

While I found Mania Adventures really enjoyable (especially Knuckles), I just feel like it's Modern Sonic's turn for a short series since the last time Modern had anything even remotely close was Night of the Werehog and that was probably the greatest short there was featuring Sonic (despite there is no talking in it, it was still great).

• Thumbs Up 3

49 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Game starring Modern Sonic, game half starring Modern Sonic (and with references from throughout the series' history, only 1/3 of which are to the classic games), game starring Modern Sonic, and game 1/3 starring Modern Sonic (and only 1/3 being Classic Sonic and it's the weakest, least developed, least relevant third of the game). And one, single, individual classic character in Dash completely invalidates the eleven playable modern characters, yup.

Now look, I've got my own complaints about how the series (ab)uses nostalgia and if Sega/Sonic Team can actually commit to maintaining this "classic dimension" respectfully I could probably accept the modern dimension doing its own thing with minimal complaining*. But people are acting like Modern is being completely subsumed by Classic and that's...just not even remotely true. Modern is the one getting the (relatively) big budget 3D games. Modern is the one getting the spinoffs and mobile games. Modern is the one in Smash. Modern is the one with the brand new comic. I'll be pretty surprised if Modern isn't the one getting the movie (if he's recognizable as either, at least). Classic has...one game of his own in the past two decades, a couple of short animations, and some cameos in Modern Sonic's games. And sometimes the Modern games remember that they were supposed to be a continuation of the classic games and not a totally separate thing.

And the eagerness some people seem to have for the series to deny its own origins is just bizarre, and I don't think it's healthy for the series. And sometimes it's this weird quasi-denial, where anything from the classic era is "classic pandering", but all that stuff has to still be canon to modern Sonic, but it has to be buried and ignored so like, what's the point? It starts to feel like some people are so caught up in the division that they'd tear up their own side to take shots at the other.

I'm not saying all this to take potshots at people who want a more coherent and fully realized "Modern Sonic" (whatever they think that would be). But Classic Sonic shouldn't be the enemy here. Classic Sonic "intruding" on Modern's territory is at most a symptom; Modern Sonic hasn't known what it's supposed to be for a long time; it's been a sci-fi shounen anime, a story-light retro-inspired platformer, an overdramatic Final Fantasy wannabe, a Saturday morning cartoon, and more, even before the return of Classic Sonic and the push for more classic appeal. It's a problem that's only going to be solved by Sonic Team sitting down and doing some serious introspection and finding something coherent to build around, not just by stripping away the decisions that haven't worked. And Classic Sonic (and related elements) deserves better than to be treated like an interloper in his own series, too.

*...no promises

I said Classic Sonic and "everything surrounding him".

Yeah, these Sonic games starred Modern Sonic, but only one of them is good, in my opinion (Generations). Sonic 4 was heavily "inspired" by Classic Sonic, for better or for worse, regardless if it starred Modern or not. Lost World was heavily inspired by Classic Sonic (or at least it used that excuse to rip-off Mario), and don't get me started on Forces.

My point is that I don't want Classic Sonic to disappear, I want him to stay and be his own thing with Mania. I'm just explaining to you why people are tired of Classic Sonic and everything there is to do with him. Yeah we've had those Modern Sonic games, but they weren't good. It's not Classic Sonic's fault, but just saying. We just want good quality for Modern Sonic, but Classic does not take away from that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

If it does exist, I hope it's modern and I hope it's kept more tightly leashed than Sonic X which left a scar on the franchise for years. 

If it's classic, I'll have to pass on it like I did Mania Adventures. 

If this is real, modern or classic, I just hope that they have a bigger focus on narrative this time around. Something akin to the comics.

With that being said, I'd prefer it be more modern based because of my biasbecause I simply do think that there's a lot more to work with story and character-wise there. The classic side of the series usually follows a more light, cereal commercial vibe and I have no problem in saying that's exactly where I hope this series doesn't go. I don't want the opposite end, but this is literally a story telling medium here. Mania Adventures was great for a short little online promo for DLC, but if they're planing to go full time with this, I hope they bring more to the table this time around.

Like, for one, you have a great VA cast now. Use them.

Though, this could easily be another short YouTube thing so who knows. If one thing's for sure, I'm excited for the likely prospect of getting more of that animation at least.

• Thumbs Up 7

17 hours ago, Unknown User said:

Pretty much different looking from Sonic overall. Then SEGA takes her in the games and downgrades her design (and age) into a pink Sonic clone with a weird clashing palette

Image result for amy rose classic

Sometimes comic artists drew her in a way that was better than what we got.

937231726_SonicScreenSaverAmy.png.f7725bbaa48136891c6d731a11fec8d9.png

Always preferred this render to that one, it doesn't take much to differentiate her from a Sonic clone. Archie tended to shorten her spikes and I particularly like how StC takes to styling them upwards. Here I realized they're probably only angled that way for implied motion but it always stuck with me.

676589853_ArchieClassicAmy.png.c354b445f2c362b4bc72c4216e1e5aeb.png1124948756_StCAmy.png.464109fc1f536546e46deb8f78f92cdd.png

Classic Amy looks like her pallette was chosen to show off the power of the Mega CD and how much colour fidelity it had. 

Then Miyake had to do the same for Chaotix and the 32X and went "hey why not a chameleon to do that". 

• Thumbs Up 4