Awoo.

Revive One, Banish Another

Myst

If you could bring back any obscure, retired, or forgotten character from the world of Sonic, (but you have to get rid of one currently active character in the franchise in order to do that) who would you pick?

• Thumbs Up 1

Bring back Scratch & Grounder, banish OrBot & CuBot.

Bring back Maria (as in, Shadow's memory & flashbacks. Sega's pretty much erased her from the canon at this point) Banish Charmy.

20 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Bring back Fang-Bark-Bean-Honey-Bearenger-Carrotia-Falke-Witchcart

Remove: Deadly Six, Infinite, Avatar

Witchcart? Really?

I think Infinite deserves a second chance. Sure he was handled terribly in Forces, but I'd love to see what Flynn could do with the character in the IDW series. 

(provided Sega doesn't have any 'No Infinite' guidelines the comic staff must abide by)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Marco9966 said:

More intersting than any Deadly Six.

Alrighty then. It's just such an obscure choice, is all.

I agree that most of the Deadly Six are terrible (but Zeena & Zazz have their charm.)

I'd also like Cream since SEGA has supposedly retired her too.

(If Big and Blaze made it in TSR, there's a chance Cream makes it in the game after if fans demand)

• Thumbs Up 2

Banish Orbot & Cubot. I never been much a fan of them.

Revive Scratch & Grounder. They are the most memorable and fun Robotnik stooges to me and I would greatly enjoy seeing them in the mainline games.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

22 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Banish Orbot & Cubot. I never been much a fan of them.

Revive Scratch & Grounder. They are the most memorable and fun Robotnik stooges to me and I would greatly enjoy seeing them in the mainline games.

Okay, on a somewhat more serious note than my previous post, I would banish Cubot and technically also Orbot. In their place I would happily see the return of SA-55, aka Unleashed's version of Orbot before he was renamed and redeveloped into a useless lackey. SA-55 was a foil to Eggman, but still useful in his own right. He kept Eggman in check and provided useful information. Orbot does nothing is any value and it's hard to believe Eggman would keep someone like him or Cubot around.

Never been a fan of Scratch and Grounder though. I prefer Orbot and Cubot to them in all honesty.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Okay, on a somewhat more serious note than my previous post, I would banish Cubot and technically also Orbot. In their place I would happily see the return of SA-55, aka Unleashed's version of Orbot before he was renamed and redeveloped into a useless lackey. SA-55 was a foil to Eggman, but still useful in his own right. He kept Eggman in check and provided useful information. Orbot does nothing is any value and it's hard to believe Eggman would keep someone like him or Cubot around.

My biggest problem with SA-55 is that he's basically what Lawrence is to Quawk in Ratchet and Clank, in that he spends so much time being outright snide and directly insulting to Eggman that you wonder why the hell the latter, being such a ruthless egotist, puts up with it. I also kinda prefer Orbot's more emotive speaking pattern, even if it maybe too divergent from SA-55's (something like how dub Decoe and Bocoe's voices evolved from robotic to emotional probably would have worked better).

I think a compromise would work, since I like Orbot's more subtle snark and resentment towards the doctor (which is often more founded because he does get pushed around by Eggman a lot first compared to SA-55) but SA-55's more proactive and intellectual involvement in his plans. I know Archie and Boom Orbot dabbled in this a bit. I also liked how Boom Orbot was smart enough to know when Eggman's plans would fail horribly so actually got Sonic to destroy them before they erupted in a far worse manner.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm gonna banish Big again, he is only present because people see him as a walking meme. I admit he was funny in che comics, and useful, so if somebody actually likes him for those reasons, then okay, but if they like Big for the jokes, eh.

I was also gonna say Cream but the poor kid is already forgotten.

Nack/Bean/Bark I don't see a reason to revive, they are already getting the Mighty & Ray treatment in the classic series, and Honey is possibly next. So I would revive Breezie and the 3 Eggman lackeys exclusively for the classic series, I would keep Orbot and Cubot for the modern series, I actually tolerate them a lot more than Scratch and Grounder. 

The Freedom Fighters, maaaaaybe if the next cartoon is classic, I could actually see them more of a fit in the classic branch, since modern has already a big supporting cast.

Oh and absutely banish Modern Tails's writing.

Revive Marine, and give us a Blaze spinoff with her as Blaze's sidekick. I'd be interested in seeing more of their world and a different hero/sidekick dynamic.

Retire Silver. Ugly design, boring personality, an unearned aura of importance, sketchy gameplay mechanics, and the constant time bullshit associated with him makes him an awkward character to use (not that Blaze isn't, for similar reasons, but Blaze's dimension being independent of Sonic's gives them more flexibility compared to Silver's time being influenced by Sonic's).

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

Mmmh, who I would revive would be easy (because I'm a fan of reusing character from older games/continuity), but who I would banish would be harder. For me, it's difficult to say that a character have so much little interest that it couldn't be retooled as something interesting. Even the Deadly 6, who are the character I like the less, I feel that there is a lot of potential with them (especially after having read a translation of the japanese script).

Maybe I'm too much full-on "EVERYONE IS HERE" for that kind of thread, ahah.

EDIT : I'm not saying that this thread is bad, however, because it's an interesting thought idea, because it basically limit the number of character we can add to the number of one we accept to get rid on.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Retire Silver. Ugly design, boring personality, an unearned aura of importance, sketchy gameplay mechanics, and the constant time bullshit associated with him makes him an awkward character to use (not that Blaze isn't, for similar reasons, but Blaze's dimension being independent of Sonic's gives them more flexibility compared to Silver's time being influenced by Sonic's).

My only issue with Silver is his inconsistency. In '06 he was from a ruined future and there was discussion among fans that he could've been Sonic (Or Shadow's) future son. There was a slight aura of mystery about him. 

Now he just sort-of hangs out with Sonic in the present. I don't nessecarily see a need to keep him as a series regular like Knuckles and Amy, but they could bring him back now and then in certain games that go for the more 'epic' style of storytelling that involve time travel and what-not.

I liked his character in '06. Maybe I was reading too far into things, but I saw him as a noble character who had aspirations to be some great, valiant hero, but he was still just a naive kid with some flaws. 

While Sonic is the cocky hero with attitude & Shadow is the rule-breaking anti-hero, Silver seems to be a 'boy scout' type character with a strong sense of right and wrong. The voice of reason in the group. (But I guess Tails already fills that role, so..)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Banish Shadow. Just for a laugh. Though his noble sacrifice would've been cool if it was an actual sacrifice and would erase the Shadow The Hedgehog game from existence. I don't hate Shadow or anything, it's actually the fans that tend to bug me most.

Bring back Fang. It would be refreshing to have a character that acts purely in his own self interest. Sure, Rouge is similar but she also works for the government. (Are they even still around?) So in the end, she kinda has to do the right thing. Fang wouldn't have that problem. Plus he's portrayed as a bit of a bungler so that could make for some amusing moments.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

I'm gonna banish Big again, he is only present because people see him as a walking meme. I admit he was funny in che comics, and useful, so if somebody actually likes him for those reasons, then okay, but if they like Big for the jokes, eh.

The jokes and the memes have been part of Big since before memes were even a thing. He had his funny cameos and multiplayer appearance in SA2, and then a very substantial cameo role in SatSR. Big as his own character is great; in a world full of action heroes and cool guys, Big is just a simple-minded and easy going fella' who wants nothing more than to enjoy a peaceful life with his best pollywog pal. His debut gameplay in SA1 was the dumbest thing the series had ever done (at least at the time...) but he's an endearing, nice character.

The jokes are just a bonus. Arguably over done sometimes, but there's so much more to him than the jokes.

• Thumbs Up 6

First off, what's up everybody! New to the SSMB community and I hope we get along.

Now back on topic. I with Blue Blood. Get rid of that abomination they call Tails now and bring back Adventure Tails.

Edited by Ruomarta
I missed a word
  • Thumbs Up 4

Welcome! Yeah, Forces Tails was a bit of a wimp, I agree. But Boom Tails was pretty competent, imo. I'd like to see him behave more like he did in Boom in future games/cartoons.

2 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

I was also gonna say Cream but the poor kid is already forgotten.

Nack/Bean/Bark I don't see a reason to revive, they are already getting the Mighty & Ray treatment in the classic series, and Honey is possibly next. So I would revive Breezie and the 3 Eggman lackeys exclusively for the classic series, I would keep Orbot and Cubot for the modern series, I actually tolerate them a lot more than Scratch and Grounder. 

The Freedom Fighters, maaaaaybe if the next cartoon is classic, I could actually see them more of a fit in the classic branch, since modern has already a big supporting cast.

Oh and absutely banish Modern Tails's writing.

Big is nice character as a cameo or in spin off games , the problem is that he was never qualified to play as a main character in the story , as playing him in SA1 was pointless . He is in much better position as cameo/ minor character .

13 minutes ago, Gumbit said:

Big is nice character as a cameo or in spin off games , the problem is that he was never qualified to play as a main character in the story , as playing him in SA1 was pointless . He is in much better position as cameo/ minor character .

If he was actually fun to play, I think he would've fit perfectly in SA. Part of the point of the game is telling different parts of the story from different perspectives. And having a short story where we see things from the perspective of a relatively ordinary guy who's gotten caught up in events much bigger than himself is an interesting complement to the more traditional big epic heroes vs villains stories.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If he was actually fun to play, I think he would've fit perfectly in SA. Part of the point of the game is telling different parts of the story from different perspectives. And having a short story where we see things from the perspective of a relatively ordinary guy who's gotten caught up in events much bigger than himself is an interesting complement to the more traditional big epic heroes vs villains stories.

Agreed. It's always interesting to me when a normal/ordinary characters somehow get caught up events that is bigger than they feel like can handle. Also just a little off-topic, but who's that character of your profile pic? I feel like I seen/heard of her somewhere before.

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Bring back Fang-Bark-Bean-Honey-Bearenger-Carrotia-Falke-Witchcart

Remove: Deadly Six, Infinite, Avatar

Are you sure you don’t want to get the Freedom Fighters and Kukkus at the cost of Orbot and Cubot, the HBH, And Sticks? 

Just now, Miragnarok said:

Are you sure you don’t want to get the Freedom Fighters and Kukkus at the cost of Orbot and Cubot, the HBH, And Sticks? 

I grew up with the games only. I'd take the Kukus gladly though.

Sticks is technically a retired character now unless she appears in the IDW comics.

The resistance is big enough (two dozens of characters!) so we don't need to FFs.