Awoo.

The Playstation Classic: Hey Nintendo Made Bank With This Idea Why Can't We

TCB

Yes you read that right...Sony is following in Nintendo's footsteps on a miniaturized version of one their most beloved systems. In this case, it's the OG Playstation model. Launching on December 3rd, 2018 for $99.00 USD/€99.00/9,980 Yen

• Comes pre-loaded with 20 'classic' tiles from the orignal PS library. Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3, Wild Arms, Ridge Racer Type 4, just to name a few.
  • 45% smaller than the OG model
  • HDMI output
  • Comes with two controllers 
  • The Reset Button suspends games, Open Button allows you to switch between them via a 'Virtual Disc'

Box packaging and other images (spoiler'd for size): 

Spoiler

Dnb5HSuU0AAIx3G.png:largeDnb5H3PUwAA6a9L.jpg:largeDnb5IcEU0AEasbK.jpg:large

Dnb5MK6U8AEnYSA.jpg:large

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

this is giving me flashbacks to the motion control craze of the early 2010s.

i'm fully expecting microsoft to release an XBOX OG classic at some time down the line, just like they hopped on that motion control gravy train with sony.

Well, so long as they stay away from Nintendo's tactic of artificial scarcity I may have a shot at picking one up.

Assuming scalpers don't pick up 500 at a time.

• Thumbs Up 1

YESSSS THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY.

PS1 is one of my favourite eras of gaming, hope this has a great library. 

Hot damn Sony, what a bomb you dropped. I completely slept on the NES/SNES Minis. Wasn't feelin them as I never grew up in that era.

But this, I grew up on OG Playstation. That was part of my lifeblood as a child. This clearly has my attention. How quaint it's being released so close to the Playstation Experience (if that's happening again this year, which at this point is looking likely)

Wonder other titles will be on there...Ape Escape, Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Tursimo all sound like potential shoo-ins, but Jumping Flash was one of the games highlighted in the trailer and I'm pretty sure that caught people by surprise so who knows.

Let's just hope Sony actually supply this thing, not making the errors Nintendo have made with their Mini console line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly this looks waaaay better than Nintendo's efforts with the NES and SNES minis, as a replica. It looks like it functions exactly the same as the original, without any dumb flaps or anything. And you can open the lid and change out a "disk"? Dunno if that means a physical disk or not, but either way the lid opening alone is

ERIZO.jpg

PS1 was my first home game console, so I have a lot of fond memories with this era of Playstation. Hope the library is up to par, (that mech game looks all sorts of rad, actually) but otherwise I honestly can't wait to get my hands on this; legit excited to see how it turns out

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Honestly this looks waaaay better than Nintendo's efforts with the NES and SNES minis, as a replica. It looks like it functions exactly the same as the original, without any dumb flaps or anything. And you can open the lid and change out a "disk"? Dunno if that means a physical disk or not, but either way the lid opening alone is

ERIZO.jpg

PS1 was my first home game console, so I have a lot of fond memories with this era of Playstation. Hope the library is up to par, (that mech game looks all sorts of rad, actually) but otherwise I honestly can't wait to get my hands on this; legit excited to see how it turns out

I think the Open button on this console doesn't open necessarily; in the video it says it changes the 'virtual disc'. The thing come with 20 pre-installed games, so I guess it takes you a menu and from there there's an option to change the game you're playing.

The fact that the controller included with it is a recreation of the original PS1 controller rather than the DualShock means there’s no chance of Ape Escape being on here. Therefore, I have no interest in it.

It is funny to me how Sony is starting to follow another one of Nintendo’s trends again. Can I expect an “Xbox Classic” from Microsoft soon?

2 minutes ago, TCB said:

I think the Open button on this console doesn't open necessarily; in the video it says it changes the 'virtual disc'. The thing come with 20 pre-installed games, so I guess it takes you a menu and from there there's an option to change the game you're playing.

Well when I watched the trailer on it's own I thought I spotted a hinge in the back, and the details in this thread seemed to confirm it, but looking at it closer... shoot, yeah it might not be.

Oh well. It's still closer than what Nintendo's pulled off, but I'm gonna be kinda bummed if I can't pop the lid open like the good old days :T

2 minutes ago, The Somewhat Inactive One said:

The fact that the controller included with it is a recreation of the original PS1 controller rather than the DualShock means there’s no chance of Ape Escape being on here. Therefore, I have no interest in it.

Oh. Oh yeah, damn.

15 minutes ago, The Somewhat Inactive One said:

Welp... there goes the chance of one of my fave games getting in. Balls.

Wow Nintendo loosing at the subscription service game, and now loosing at the fad they created(or at least revitalized). 

Anyway, damn this looks so fucking awesome. So until we get a N64 Classic, sign me up!

• Chuckle 1

A mini OG Xbox isn't likely considering the sheer horsepower the device would have to have. Emulating NES, SNES, and even PS1 hardware isn't that had (PS1 emulation takes less power than you think it would), but doing the OG Xbox is another beast entirely.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great news! The Nintendo 64 was my first choice in the fifth console era, but I loved Sony's golden boy as well.

In the old days of cubic characters and low-poly aesthetics, I couldn't have two video games, so my young self would buy CDs of my most desired games from flea markets and play them in my favorite video game rental store. Darkstalkers 3, Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories (king of the broken games. I hate you, Seto 3🤬) and Skullmonkeys are some of my fondest memories with the Playstation.

Knowing how prices work in my country, buying one of these classic replicas will be totally impossible, but I still hope that Crash Bandicoot 3, Spyro the Dragon and both Breath of Fire games - III and IV - are some of the pre-loaded choices. The current generation needs to know how magical these games were and still are.

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Wow Nintendo loosing at the subscription service game, and now loosing at the fad they created(or at least revitalized). 

Anyway, damn this looks so fucking awesome. So until we get a N64 Classic, sign me up!

Forgive me if I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but seriously? The Switch has been selling well(and going to sell like gangbusters when Pokémon and Smash comes out). Plus, all of the bundles they have been announcing(the Fortnite bundle being the most recent) is going to move a lot of Switch units this holiday. Plus, the Nes and Snes Classics were really successful despite the huge shortages that they had; otherwise Sony would not be following in their footsteps if they both flopped.

I will give you the online subscription service part, but it will only get better overtime. Plus, the feedback on people that tried it are mostly positive. At most some are mildly indifferent. Now back on topic: HOLY CRAP, this PSOne Classic is lit!! Come on Nintendo, announce that N64 Classic!

If the Wii Mini could be sold at $100 msrp, I don't see why an Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube couldn't be done in the same way. They might cost more than that, but they're pretty doable with how compact tech has become over time imo

So, my guesses for games...

• Crash Bandicoot 3
  • Crash Team Racing
  • Crash Bash/Crash 2
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Resident Evil 2/3
  • Metal Gear Solid 
  • Spyro 2 
  • PaRappa the Rapper 
  • Vib-Ribbon 
  • Unjammer Lammy
  • Tomba 
  • Tomb Raider 2
  • Grand Turismo 2
  • Oddworld Abe’s Odyssey
  • Bubsy 3D Mega Man 8/X4 

I don't remember at all, was The Legend of Dragoon Dualshock-only (i don't think so, but i haven't played it in a long time)? Because otherwise i can see a chance of it being there, and considering it has never been re-released in Europe (and it's a shame due to the localization work that was put in the game back in the day) it could be a good opportunity.

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
  • Grand Turismo 2

4 hours ago, TCB said:

Gran Tursimo

No and no. Sony isn't going to spend the money.

And wow! Recreating the experience of playing PSX games with an inferior controller! What a trip! Sure am glad Sony decided that backwards compatibility was beneath the mighty PS4, so fuck off if you bought into their multiplatform ecosystem for playing these same fucking games or still own them physically.

• Thumbs Up 7

The new controller output means we're unlikely to get 3-4 player support either (which is a shame, being able to play my old PSOne games like Crash Team Racing and Chef's Luv Shack with 4 players again would actually be enough for me to buy this), especially with HDMI.

This is a rather unexpected new development and not unappreciated (odd PSOne is potentially getting good emulation but they're struggling to make a competent Mini Mega Drive) but the structure and controller output may cost it a lot of it's appeal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a little bit mixed on this. On one hand I am happy that sony decided to release this because now it means I can carry Ridge Racer 4 with me to any place I go (and everything else I suppose <_<), but on the other hand they still have a heavily underutilized playstation store that could do with having this stuff on that considering the fact that the PS3 had a lot of playstation 1 titles at very reasonable prices (some of which even include the megaman legends games). This just feels like them trying to make bank by having us buy into this thing so we forget about the fact that the PSN store is still barren of classic games and i wouldn't put it past sony if they just decided to make a whole bunch of classics with different games on them to make as much cash as possible.

30 minutes ago, Tornado said:

No and no. Sony isn't going to spend the money.

And wow! Recreating the experience of playing PSX games with an inferior controller! What a trip! Sure am glad Sony decided that backwards compatibility was beneath the mighty PS4, so fuck off if you bought into their multiplatform ecosystem for playing these same fucking games or still own them physically.

Basically

Also the PS1 was a more unique console without the Duelshocks anyways, so eh; screw progress and compatability, viva muh nostalgia boner, forget y'all got mine, etc etc!

• Thumbs Up 1

This is cool and all, but I'm disappointed they didn't put DualShocks in. They can do everything the original controllers can and more. Since the controllers are USB it'd be cool if you could use the DualShock 4.

Also, dumb that they didn't announce all of the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Marcello said:

This is cool and all, but I'm disappointed they didn't put DualShocks in. They can do everything the original controllers can and more. Since the controllers are USB it'd be cool if you could use the DualShock 4.

Also, dumb that they didn't announce all of the games.

Pretty much how I feel, yeah. While the current showing with Tekken 3 and FF7 at least shows promise, there's nothing shown yet that interests me personally, and the only games we could even mark down as a "sure" bet would likely be a Crash and Spyro title not only due to Sony's relationship with Activision, but with Reignited releasing very shortly before the PS1 Classic, it wouldn't surprise me if they threw the whole trilogy on there to try entice players to pick up Reignited as well. 

In terms of what you get with these consoles, I do wish we could get a few random bonus things. Things like Save States and the like should be there to begin with, but I think having it so you could potentially get trophies in these PS1 titles would be a neat little extra. It wouldn't be something that would make or break a purchase, but it'd be a neat little thing to have as a trophy hunter personally.