Awoo.

The Playstation Classic: Hey Nintendo Made Bank With This Idea Why Can't We

TCB

This is... interesting, I guess. But the lack of Dualshock already prevents some fun games from showing up on it. (coughApeEscapecough)

I have a feeling that, if this thing gets any Crash and Spyro games, it'll just be the originals. Maybe Crash 2, in the former's case.

I'd have to see what the full lineup is before I think about possibly getting this.

A bit mixed seeing this. It does get hit with nostalgia but will I buy it? I don't know...

Sure it resembles the PS1 package that I got around 20 years ago right down to the blooming manual so its thumbs up for Sony regarding attention to detail (except the box was a bit different on mine) but without the DualShocks, it would affect many of the later games especially Ape Escape (or even early ones that used the Dual Analog) and some games are awkward with just the D-Pads. Once you go DualShock, you don't go back. Wait and see regarding the games first even though Ridge Racer Type 4 and Tekken 3 are good games.

Also just for fun, here's what I reckon what the other games are, give or take regions:

Spoiler

Metal Gear Solid* **
Destruction Derby (EU)/Twisted Metal 2 (US)
Resident Evil*
Kula World
Crash Bandicoot (probably 1 or 2)*
Crash Team Racing*
Spyro the Dragon*
Syphon Filter
G-Police
Alundra
Tomb Raider*
Klonoa: Door to Phantomille
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night**
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
MediEvil

Other possibilities are Mickey's Wild Adventure (most popular 2D game on the PS1, that or Hercules), Grand Theft Auto, Rollcage (to compete with GRIP), Rapid Reload, Motor Toon Grand Prix 2, Soul Blade, Silent Hill**, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Vagrant Story, Dino Crisis, Kurushi Final, Overboard, Cool Boarders 2, Tomba and Bishi Bashi Special. It's all down to who Sony have on board and the age rating of the console, if it is say PEGI 12/T then some of these games won't make it like Metal Gear Solid or Syphon Filter. 3 out of the 5 games shown are rated 12/T.

* - Then again, it would have been in the trailer since those were iconic PS1 games. Would have loved to put one of the WipEout games (probably 1 or 2097) but they have a licensed soundtrack in them. ** - Depends if Konami is on board.

@Ryannumber1gamer @TCB Sorry but the chances of either Gran Turismo game going to be in are almost 0. One is that it is licensed especially when it comes to the music and two, one that people forget are the manufacturers of the cars themselves who each of them have different standards. They can be extremely picky when it comes to representation and they might think that they don't resemble the cars so it gets rejected, that and it would be really expensive to license even if they could. The only licensed racing games to my knowledge that got a re-release way after the original were Daytona USA (more so on the name, the game itself isn't since Sega did actually re-release it without the name as Sega Racing Classic) and Sega Rally 1, the latter only in Japan as a limited edition. Out Run got brief ones on the original Xbox as an extra to Out Run 2 and the Saturn however most releases since just changed the car. Easy on Out Run when there's only one important one but impossible in GT when you have 200+. The same reason why TOCA, Colin McRae Rally, V-Rally or even Need for Speed won't make it to this mini console.

A shame really since GT1 gives me nostalgia and had a good time with GT2. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not so sure about Metal Gear Solid. It doesn't require the DualShock, but it does have some notable moments that use its rumble feature. It'd be kind of awkward to go through them without them working because Sony cheaped out on the controllers.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

In terms of what you get with these consoles, I do wish we could get a few random bonus things. Things like Save States and the like should be there to begin with, but I think having it so you could potentially get trophies in these PS1 titles would be a neat little extra. It wouldn't be something that would make or break a purchase, but it'd be a neat little thing to have as a trophy hunter personally.

I'd really love that.

I think this is pretty cool! Just a couple nitpicks.

One, jumping in with the others in agreeing that the Classic really needs Dualshocks. I think at this day and age, most people use Dualshocks to play their PS1s anyway, never the original controller.

Two, maybe change the name? Of course, either way you can't deny this is copying Nintendo... but maybe change it to like, the PlayStation Throwback, or the PlayStation Reborn... I dunno, something other than Classic to not seem as obvious.

I think my only beef is, is man.... Only 20 games? I can think of a bunch of OG Playstation titles I'd like to play, being someone who's never owned a Playstation console.

That's something I find annoying about these systems. They have a limited library and no way to expand on it.

I'm guessing they went with the digital controllers to cut the systems cost down. Either that, or someone at Sony really hates Ape Escape. Also, and this is just me, I think putting Crash 1,2 OR 3 on there would be a bit dumb because of the N.Sane Trilogy. Now, CTR on the other hand is free game.

I still have my favorite PS1 games in disc form (the Crash trilogy, Spyro trilogy etc) and I have a PS2 I can play them on. I also have a PS3 where I own lots of PS1 games digitally. So I can't think of any reason why I'd want a PlayStation Mini. I'd be tempted if you could live-stream the PlayStation Mini games to youtube and twitch etc, but that's not gonna happen.

So yeah, I'll pass.

Why the fuck hasn't Sony made PS1 games backwards compatible for PS4?

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Why the fuck hasn't Sony made PS1 games backwards compatible for PS4?

Yeah, especially since the last two consoles both had it (the PS3 may have dropped PS2 BC like a bad habit, but it kept PS1 BC throughout all its life). Then again, after a quick search the PS4 can't read CD's for some reason, so that may be it.

>Sony rep: "...the PS1 and PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this"
>also Sony: "Announcing PS Classic!"

Nice one, Sony.

I am a little bit more interested in this than in Nintendo Classic products (since PS1 was the first and I think last home console my family ever had), but it sucks that they're not including Dualshock controllers but the default ones. Also sucks that apparently the output is going to be in 720p. Like, why?

17 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Okay, but we don't even know all the games this thing is going to have, and we're already taking pre-orders?

Fucking really Sony?

I mean Sony is quite smart. Take this small thread alone. And see the ones excited to preorder and get this. Now combine that with the hundreds on twitter, reddit, and other social sites excited to get one regardless of whats on it. Sony is smart at knowing how to play their cards

In the same way Nintendo are smart to create artificial scarcity to make their mini consoles more hype than they actually are.

• Chuckle 1

Actually NES and SNES classics are dirt easy to find now. we have had some just sitting in my gamestop for weeks now. The fads over.

I'd be totally down for these systems if they were better and had some effort put in. Firstly, the price needs to be reasonable, this is way too expensive for some games which, in all honesty, have probably aged badly. Also, I think the systems should come with proper store functionality which gets frequent game updates. I somehow doubt my favourites, such as Tron Bonne, will get in, but it's feasible it could be added to a digital store. I think game archiving is important, and these systems offer a way to do so, but they often seem half assed and cynical money grabs.

Who's idea was it to ship it with the original controller? The Dual Shock is a massive improvement and should be included as standard.

4 hours ago, Meta77 said:

mean Sony is quite smart. Take this small thread alone. And see the ones excited to preorder and get this. 

Not many by the looks of it.

4 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Now combine that with the hundreds on twitter, reddit, and other social sites excited to get one regardless of whats on it

Funnily enough,  most comments seem to be about folks not buying it if it doesn't have certain games. 

Wouldn't exactly say Sony are handling this idea the best so far. Unless they've got something to beef up the experience. 

Heck,  even the SNES classic had a never-before released game included. 

4 hours ago, PaddyFancy said:

In the same way Nintendo are smart to create artificial scarcity to make their mini consoles more hype than they actually are.

Nintendo recirculate those better now. So they can properly sell nowadays.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Yea star fox 2. I feel bad. I played my SNES mini for like a week and it went into storage right after that lol

Honestly, when I observe the excitement and hype for the PlayStation Classic, it isn't nearly as strong as the announcements of the NES and SNES were. As Jovahhexeon Dapper Ridley already said, most PlayStation fans seemed to not care for it and wanted the PSOne Classics on their PS4s. I'm not saying there is NO hype for it and I'm pretty sure it's going to sell regardless, but I'm just pointing out what I've been noticing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just had a thought. Why wouldn't I just buy a PS3? And then I can get whatever PS1 games I want, plus then I can get whatever PS3 games I want.

3 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I just had a thought. Why wouldn't I just buy a PS3? And then I can get whatever PS1 games I want, plus then I can get whatever PS3 games I want.

The man has a point here. Especially with used PS3s going for cheap these days. 

The marketing ploy of not even revealing all the games from the get go,  really baffle the heck out of me. Especially when one of the frontline games,  FFVII is out on so many other platforms.... looking better too,  given they're remasters. And chances are,  that version won't come with the boosters. 

And as for that racing game..... it's essentially a run-of-the-mill generic racer that doesn't really hold a candle or stand out that much for itself. Motor Toon Grand Prix, it ain't. 

On 9/19/2018 at 2:45 PM, Chili Dawg said:

No Ape Escape no sale

That reminds wasn't Ape Escape required to use the dualshock? These only come with the original PS1 controllers so yeah it's not getting the cut.