Awoo.

The Playstation Classic: Hey Nintendo Made Bank With This Idea Why Can't We

TCB

I would have liked to have seen a bit more... I'm not complaining too much, Mr Driller and Tekken 3 are sweet, but I would have loved to have seen Parapper the Rapper or Um Jammer Lammer, Syphon Filter, Rollercage and a few others.

EDIT: Just saw the Japanese list and now I'm even saltier cause Devil Dice is Japan only... I would have LOVED Devil Dice on the classic! I played the shit out of the demo when I was a kid and it was a treat. Why does Japan get to have it and we don't, it got a western release at the time so put it in, you cheeky sods!

58 minutes ago, TheMultiverseTraveller said:

The 2 Capcom games they pick are Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and RE1? Come on, pick the Alpha games instead, and RE2 instead of the original RE. RE2 won't get a remake that'll make it obsolete like RE1 did.

There is a RE2make in development.

1 hour ago, Covskin said:

I classify RE2make more as a re-imagining, since they completely changed the gameplay and bits of the story. The RE1 remake takes the original game, and improves it to a point it ends up invalidating the original, while RE2make is going to be so different from a gameplay perspective that playing the original RE2 will still have a lot of merit to it. The same can be applied to FFVII Remake when it is eventually released.

Wow this line up is pretty bad. For something that's been promoted as a celebration of the Playstation's history this comes off more as a cash grab to capitalize on the trend Nintendo was doing for the last couple of years. Seriously the PS1 is home to a lot cult classics and it makes me wonder why they even bothered in the first place.

Where the hell are series that debuted on this series like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Tomb Raider(this is the biggest shock), Legacy of Kain, Mega Man Legends and Xenogears? Where's the games that were next gen upgrades like Street Fighter Alpha 3, Mega Man X4(or MM8), Symphony of the Night? Where are the fans favorites like Silent Hill, Klonoa, Ape Escape, Parapa the Rapper, Pac-Man World? Why not go for the sequels that improve upon the original like Resident Evil 2, Rayman 2 and Twisted Metal 2? 

Seriously what a disappointment

• 4 weeks later...

...why? I must be missing something, is it somehow cheaper to have the dodgy PAL versions?

I don't think there were any extras on those PS1 games, to my knowledge that was more a PS2 era thing (like a new Sphere Grid in FFX and European Extreme difficulty in MGS2).

Sony must be putting all of their resources into the PS5 because adding PAL versions is lazy as fuck. Even the game line up is disappointing to an extent. I mean, where's a Crash game and/or a Spyro game?

Jim isn't impressed either:

1 hour ago, TheOcelot said:

Sony must be putting all of their resources into the PS5 because adding PAL versions is lazy as fuck. Even the game line up is disappointing to an extent. I mean, where's a Crash game and/or a Spyro game?

Crash/Spyro/SotN being missing is actually not surprising, since those three are not owned by Sony and all of them had re-releases this year(N.Sane going multiplat, Spyro Reignited and Castlevania Requiem), so it wouldn't surprise me surprise me if Activision and Konami preferred to keep the games restricted to said new releases.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2018 at 5:06 PM, Covskin said:

...why? I must be missing something, is it somehow cheaper to have the dodgy PAL versions?

I don't think there were any extras on those PS1 games, to my knowledge that was more a PS2 era thing (like a new Sphere Grid in FFX and European Extreme difficulty in MGS2).

Only thing that I can think of is accessibility or laziness from Sony. Many of those 50Hz games they already had on PSN and some are multi-language. Sadly in the case of the PS1 mini; only GTA, Rainbow Six (in French and Italian, woo) and think Oddworld have it, GTA was made in the UK anyway. It might also be licensing because Tekken 3 was published by Sony in Europe as in the case of most Namco games of the PS1-2 era but then again Ridge Racer Type 4 would have used the PAL version too...

As for extras, not really that many as only Sony and Konami cared about PAL back then as well as European publishers and developers. Sony did it for localisation while Konami did it for higher review scores. If anything its what they cut out rather than what they add in. You were lucky if the game was released at all... The Gran Turismo series got a few like a sound test for GT1 (even though weirdly GT1 was released in Europe before the US) and able to drive Vauxhall cars for GT2. Even Austrailia got a bonus with Need for Speed: High Stakes (known as Road Challenge in Europe) where they got Holden cars as well because I guess EA got that license for that region at the time. The ISS series from Pro 98 onwards might have little improvements but don't know about the PS1 versions. Do know that ISS 2000 on the N64 actually has an extra mode compared to the US version and its quite meaty too because it is the career mode (like Master League in PES games). Oh and Ray Tracers has English voice acting for the PAL version that wasn't there for the US version but there is Japanese voice acting for the Japanese version.

Some like Driver, Team Buddies and Mission Impossible the PAL versions are the originals and got censorship and/or changes for the US versions. For Mission Impossible, the changes for the US version was due to Sony's policies and they didn't want a "N64 port".

Sometimes PAL versions got bug fixes that the US and Japanese versions didn't get or got later on. GT2 was actually finished for its European version and took two revisions for the US to catch up. Spyro 3 added a few music tracks, fixed bugs and added extras that again took to the US Greatest Hits version for it to be included, however the latter got further improvements as well. If there's one game that fans do play the PAL version no matter what is Suikoden 2 because the US version was unfinished with some bugs and even its translation was unfinished. Sometimes they were sold as updated versions such as WipEout 3 Special Edition and Kurushi Final where they were PAL only.

Update: Someone went through one of the files for the PS1 Classic and turns out that they were planning more games for mini. Not only that but there would have been 3 region versions since some have both US and PAL ISOs where the final had one or the other. Yeah, this was rushed out of the door in time for Christmas...

Spoiler

ARC_THE_LAD_JP,

ARC_THE_LAD_2_JP,

ARMORED_CORE_JP,

ARMORED_CORE_MASTER_OF_ARENA,

CHOCOBOS_JP,

COLIN_MCRAE_RALLY_EU,

COOL_BOARDERS_2_EU,

CRASH_BANDICOOT_EU,

CRASH_BANDICOOT_US,

CRASH_BANDICOOT_2_EU,

CRASH_BANDICOOT_2_JP,

CRASH_BANDICOOT_2_US,

DESTRUCTION_DERBY_EU,

DESTRUCTION_DERBY_US,

DISNEY_TOY_STORY_2_EU,

DRIVER_EU,

DRIVER_US,

EHRGEIZ_JP,

FIGHTING_FORCE_US,

FINAL_FANTANSY_VII_DICS_1_EU,

FINAL_FANTANSY_VII_DICS_1_JP,

FINAL_FANTANSY_VII_DICS_1_US,

FINAL_FANTANSY_VII_DICS_2_EU,

FINAL_FANTANSY_VII_DICS_2_JP,

FINAL_FANTANSY_VII_DICS_2_US,

FINAL_FANTANSY_VII_DICS_3_EU,

FINAL_FANTANSY_VII_DICS_3_JP,

FINAL_FANTANSY_VII_DICS_3_US,

FINAL_FANTANSY_VII_DICS_4_JP,

G_DARIUS_JP,

GRADIUS_GAIDEN_JP,

GRAN_TURISMO_EU,

GRAN_TURISMO_JP,

GRAN_TURISMO_US,

GRAND_THEFT_AUTO_2_EU,

GRAND_THEFT_AUTO_2_US,

GRAND_THEFT_AUTO_EU,

GRAND_THEFT_AUTO_US,

HARRY_POTTER_AND_THE_PHILOSOPHERS_STONE_EU,

IQ_INTELLIGENT_QUBE_JP,

IQ_INTELLIGENT_QUBE_US,

JUMPING_FLASH_EU,

JUMPING_FLASH_JP,

JUMPING_FLASH_US,

KAGERO_JP,

KLONOA_DOOR_TO_PHANTAMILE_JP,

KLONOA_DOOR_TO_PHANTAMILE_US,

KULA_WORLD_EU,

LEGACY_OF_KAIN_SOUL_REAVER_EU,

LEGACY_OF_KAIN_SOUL_REAVER_US,

MEDAL_OF_HONOR_EU,

MEDAL_OF_HONOR_US,

MEDIEVIL_EU,

MEDIEVIL_US,

MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_EU, (Cacpcom strikes again!)

MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_JP,

MEGA_MAM_LEGENDS_US,

METAL_GEAR_SOLID_DISC_1_EU,

METAL_GEAR_SOLID_DISC_1_JP,

METAL_GEAR_SOLID_DISC_1_US,

METAL_GEAR_SOLID_DISC_2_EU,

METAL_GEAR_SOLID_DISC_2_JP,

METAL_GEAR_SOLID_DISC_2_US,

MR_DRILLER_EU,

MR_DRILLER_G_JP,

MR_DRILLER_JP,

MR_DRILLER_US,

ODDWORLD_ABES_ODDYSEE_EU,

ODDWORLD_ABES_ODDYSEE_US,

PACAPACA_PASSION_JP,

PARAPPA_THE_RAPPER_US,

PARASITE_EVE_DISC_1_JP,

PARASITE_EVE_DISC_1_US,

PARASITE_EVE_DISC_2_JP,

PARASITE_EVE_DISC_2_US,

PERSONA_JP,

PERSONA_US,

RAY_STORM_JP,

RAYMAN_US,

RESIDENT_EVIL_EU,

RESIDENT_EVIL_JP,

RESIDENT_EVIL_US,

RIDGE_RACER_EU,

RIDGE_RACER_JP,

RIDGE_RACER_US,

RIDGE_RACER_TYPE_4_EU,

RIDGE_RACER_TYPE_4_JP,

RIDGE_RACER_TYPE_4_US,

SAGAFRONTIER_JP,

SILENT_HILL_EU,

SILENT_HILL_JP,

SILENT_HILL_US,

SPEC_OPS_STEALTH_PATROL_US,

STREET_FIGHTER_ALPHA_3_US,

STREET_FIGHTER_EX_PLUS_EU,

STREET_FIGHTER_EX_PLUS_JP,

STREET_FIGHTER_EX_PLUS_US,

SUIKODEN_EU,

SUIKODEN_JP,

SUIKODEN_US,

SUPER_PUZZLE_FIGHTER_2_TURBO_US,

SUPER_PUZZLE_FIGHTER_2_X_JP,

SYPHON_FILTER_US,

TEKKEN3_EU,

TEKKEN3_JP,

TOM_CLANCYS_RAINBOW_SIX_EU,

TOMB_RAIDER_2_EU,

TOMB_RAIDER_2_JP,

TOMB_RAIDER_2_US,

TOMB_RAIDER_EU,

TOMB_RAIDER_JP,

TOMB_RAIDER_US,

TOMBA_JP,

TOMBA_US,

TONY_HAWK_SKATE_BOARDING_EU,

TONY_HAWKS_PRO_SKATER_2_EU,

TONY_HAWKS_PRO_SKATER_2_US,

TOSHINDEN_EU,

TOSHINDEN_JP,

TOSHINDEN_US,

TWISTED_METAL_US,

VAGRANT_STORY_EU,

VAGRANT_STORY_US,

WILD_ARMS_2_DISC_1_JP,

WILD_ARMS_2_DISC_2_JP,

WILD_ARMS_JP,

WILD_ARMS_US,

XEVIOUS_3D_G_JP,

XEVIOUS_3D_G_US,

XI_EU, (Devil Dice)

XI_JP,

Source: https://gist.github.com/Manorhos/18f60d6ede99c8acf8235ac618aa16be

I know Colin McRae, GT1 and the two Tony Hawk's games wouldn't have made it but the others might have been possible.

Well, things just seem to keep getting worse. People managed to access the root menu of the PS Classic using a USB Keyboard. Not only is there a ton of emulator options that isn't included that is accessible from this menu, but people found the source code of the Classic, which revealed 36 other games that Sony had been testing for use on the PS Classic, and the library makes fifty times more sense and is far closer to what we had been expecting from the product originally. With all that said, it's probably best to still take this with a grain of salt, although apparently the source code is out there and proves it according to the tweet. Here's but a few random examples of games.

• Crash 1
  • Crash 2
  • Toy Story 2 
  • Mega Man Legends
  • Gran Turismo
  • Driver
  • Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 
  • GTA 2 
  • Klonoa
  • Medievil
  • Tomb Raider
  • Tomb Raider 3
  • Silent Hill
  • PaRappa the Rapper
  • Medal of Honour 
  • Tomba 

Tweet for reference:

Video discussing it: 

• Absolutely 1

Literally those first seven games alone represent the PlayStation 1 more than the entirety of the final list. I can't help but wonder if Sony made this thing bad on purpose for whatever reason, as if they wanted everyone to be distracted from something. I don't know what, though... *goes and checks the current 2018 release schedule, sees that Just Casue 4, a couple Persona dancing games and Earth Defence Force 5 (whatever that is) are the only things releasing this month, and that the PS4 only had exclusives last month* Or they just rushed this thing out the door quality be dammed because they have absolutely nothing prepared for the holiday season. Just saying.

• 1 month later...

It's kinda funny that this wasn't bumped up after Christmas but... the system is now at half the price after Christmas... which is not a good sign

As for me? Well, as of last week, currently enjoy better stuff from December.

Yeah... It says something when people are still buying the original console rather than the mini just because of the quality of the emulator and the game choice. It might even drop more in price including Europe where the PS1 holds strong memories but on the other hand, the PlayStation TV (consolized Vita) flopped and that is going for a bit now.

Only good thing about this is that the mini console is hacked, found a way of changing the settings and people have been putting different games on there via an USB stick on the second port. Someone even put thousands of games on the console. People even put a different emulator, well got the frontend RetroArch to boot it and got to use Dual Shock 4s for the analog sticks.