Awoo.

The Playstation Classic: Hey Nintendo Made Bank With This Idea Why Can't We

TCB

It just doesn't make any sense. Why would I drop $100 on a mini  console that only has 20 games that I may or may not even want? Literally every other Playstation option on the market right now makes more sense.

This was Sony's chance to win a few quick bucks from yucks like me, but you know there's this thing where if someone like me wants to make an informed purchase we want some information to come with it. As it stands, we have Schrodinger's Playstation that comes at a premium that is more expensive than a lot of the PS3's and PSP's that's on the used market right now, and those are flat out BETTER consoles than this thing.

It's not that I'm not petty about these things. I bought a SNES Classic just because I like having the classic pads. But this thing doesn't have that excused, because the basic design of the Playstation controller hasn't changed in the past two decades.

Disappointed. The lack of Dual Shock controllers is clearly so they can re-release it next year with them and expect you to fork over another $100.

Out of the few games they showed off in the trailer, I was not impressed. Where's Crash Bandicoot? Spyro? Tomba? UmJammer Lammy? Croc? Tomb Raider? Tony Hawk? 

3 hours ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

And as for that racing game..... it's essentially a run-of-the- mik generic racer that doesn't really hold a candle or stand out that much for itself.

No, it's not. We're not talking about Test Drive 5 or Need for Speed II here. R4 is one of the best racing games of the entire console generation and legitimately an excellent choice for the collection; even if it falls a bit flat due to the controller decided to include. It can easily go hit for hit with any other racer on the system and nothing on the other two systems can really even approach it, possibly to the extent of being the best racing game of the console generation that doesn't have licenced cars that someone would have to pay for; and the only game that is really definitively higher on the totem pole before the PS2 era is the second Gran Turismo game.

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Tony Hawk? 

Activision definitely isn't going to pay for that.

• Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Why does this thing exist?

Because the Vita is life....

(and this is coming from a guy who didn't even own a PSVita/PS TV)

5 hours ago, MarioAmigosYT said:
16 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Because the Vita is life....

(and this is coming from a guy who didn't even own a PSVita/PS TV)

I think he was talking about the Playstation Classic. 

On 9/20/2018 at 10:30 PM, Tornado said:

Activision definitely isn't going to pay for that.

Pretty sure Activision doesn't even have the rights to the games anymore lol

So, yeah, THPS is pretty much impossible.

On 9/20/2018 at 11:43 PM, shdowhunt60 said:

Have you seen the sales of the NES and SNES Classics?

On 9/20/2018 at 5:43 PM, shdowhunt60 said:

Same reason that the PS Move and PSBAR, failed ventures though they may be,  exist. 

19 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Same reason that the PS Move and PSBAR, failed ventures though they may be,  exist. 

How is it a failed venture when it was only announced a few days ago? Better yet, how is it a failed venture when Nintendo's games are overpriced as hell and yet the NES Classic and SNES Classic both did well enough? 

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

How is it a failed venture when it was only announced a few days ago?

Want to point towards the part where I said the Playstation Classic was a failed venture there? You're kind of jumping the gun. 

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Nintendo's games are overpriced as hell and yet the NES Classic and SNES Classic both did well enough? 

Granted,  their classic collections didn't cost as much as Playstation Classic,  and the latter even came with a "new" game never before played by ther general public. Oh, and from what's been seen so far, they've got more bang their buck. 

Sony's marketing hasn't been doing the poor classic about favors. You don't hear nearly aa hich hubbub as the Nintendo classics generated for valid.

No one's aaying that the PS Classic is a failed venture yet,  but hopes obviously aren't as high as Sony would like them to be. 

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Want to point towards the part where I said the Playstation Classic was a failed venture there? You're kind of jumping the gun. 

33 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Comparing those two to this and stating that they are failed ventures implies that's the comparison piece you're going for, the wording on this is pretty confused.

No it doesn't. They were failed ventures yes, but unless I'm directly saying that the Classic itself was,  you've jumped the gun needlessly. 

It's quite clear in the syntax that the only correlation that I was stating was the reasons that they were made. No where close to what you mistook it for. 

• 1 month later...

Here's the full list of the games: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/10/29/announcing-playstation-classics-full-line-up-of-20-games/

First thing to point out, no Crash or Spyro probably due to the remakes and no Symphony of the Night due to the recent PS4 re-release. Secondly there does seem to be stretching the definition of classics for some games such as Rainbow Six (where that was more famous on the PC, even the N64 and Dreamcast versions were more known back then and got average reviews at absolute best back then) and Battle Arena Toshinden where the word tosh describes the game perfectly. Mr Driller and Super Puzzle Fighter II are good puzzle games but a bit more obscure. GTA surprisingly is there but would anyone still play it, even the fans of the series don't? Cool Boarders 2 is your token sports game. Persona is the altered US version of the game so the die hard fans who want to play on that are going to be disappointed. Rayman and Abe's Oddysee are your platformers so even the genre that the PS1 is known for isn't exactly well represented here with Jumping Flash being a different take.

Well at least Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil Director's Cut (not the Dual Shock one with the bad soundtrack) are on there.

Out of the games that were predicted, I don't think any of us got it right... At least it does confirm that the PS1 Classic does use the 60hz versions of the games judging by Intelligent Qube though (in Europe it was known as Kururshi).

It's impressive because Nintendo got shit because Chrono Trigger wasn't on the SNES classic (as the most obvious example), and now Sony has put out a collection that has at least 6 glaring omissions of a similar level off the top of my head. Like, I get that Sony may have wanted to avoid turning it into a Final Fantasy or Resident Evil fest even though the reality is that those series were close to the biggest games on the console (at least early one), but what was even the goal here?

It includes the best game in one of the series present (R4) even though it plays substantially worse with digital controls, but it features nothing else from the several years where it was a system seller for the console. Same thing with Tekken. It includes a bunch of games that were pretty crappy even when they were new (BAT, GTA, Rainbow Six) or that are hopelessly dated but at least represented the launch of the system and its first couple years of life and would justify the stupid controller decision (Jumping Flash, Twisted Metal, Destruction Derby), or titles that were mostly ignored when new when the PSX was on life support (Mr. Driller) or were also-rans even at the time (Cool Boarders 2). This is how Sony wants the PSX to be remembered? A random grabbag of games from a depressing Craigslist auction?

The Playstation was not about Cool Boarders 2. The Playstation was not about terrible ports of PC games. Where the fuck is Tomb Raider, probably the second or third most influential game of the entire console generation? Where the fuck is Driver, which was the game that established the open world genre while GTA was piddling around with barely playable top down games? Where is Symphony of the Night, one of the greatest games of all time despite Sony's wishes? No one wants to play Mega Man 8, but where the hell is Legends? Where are the games from Square's glory years, where they would make 2 or 3 titles a year that were not Final Fantasy but were still deals? Sony wants people to think that Battle Arena fucking Toshiden is more representative of why the PSX was such an important system than Chrono Cross?

I knew this wasn't going to have Gran Turismo or Need for Speed or Tony Hawk. Those were a big part of what made the system the juggernaut of its day, but I knew their situations were completely untenable for rerelease at all, nevermind as part of a collection with a smaller profit margin. I knew Spyro and Crash were long shots because of the renewed interest in selling those games by Activision as full on remakes. But Sony themselves made games for the system, some of which as franchises with multiple entries that didn't really survive to the PS2 years, that were huge deals upon release but are nowhere to be seen. This reeks of the same kind of cynical garbage that led to Sony filling All Stars Battle Royale with a ton of characters from PSN only puzzle games that people only bought in Europe and then acting like it was an affront when people wanted characters they gave a shit about that actually celebrated the brand's history.

It also cannot be overstated just how awful the PSX version of Rainbow Six is, and how known that was even at the time. It's like if the SNES Classic had wasted a spot for its terrible port of Final Fight. It's absolutely absurd that the game, which isn't even known as a Playstation series and wasn't even really that good as a PC title, is on this collection.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah, most of these are pretty lackluster.

3 hours ago, Mr Loopone said:

Rayman

And then there's this. Why? Of all the platformers out there, you chose Rayman. RAYMAN. You know, the game that's beautiful but bullshit hard due to terrible level design. Think Stormy Ascent in Crash 1, then take away the fairness and give you no lives. Then make that THE ENTIRE GAME. Why not Croc, or Rayman 2, or if you want to go the "lets fill this thing with garbage" route like you seem to have, Rascal? Just anything but Rayman. Really, the only things on this collection I want are Metal Gear Solid and FFVII, and I can get those off of Amazon individually for like a third of what this collection costs. Pass.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say the more glaring thing with Rayman is that there's nothing about it that makes it terribly relevant to the PSX's history. Symphony of the Night was something that couldn't have been done on any other console of the time, so the fact that Sony hated it being popular is irrelevant. The Saturn port of it evidence enough of how much it was tied to the Playstation.

Rayman was a fucking Jaguar game.

"Revelations: Persona"

Worst choice of the list and this is coming from someone that loves P1 to bits. The western release of Megami Ibunroku Persona is infamously bad, making lots of bizarre changes and cutting an entire plot point (The Snow Queen Quest) from the game.

1L0EW24.png

Hey they got Resident Evil-

The Director's cut. Ohhhhhhhh shiiii-

Also,  really Sony? You're that quick to forget that Brave Fencer Musashi was a thing? Tsk.

18 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Hey they got Resident Evil-

The Director's cut. Ohhhhhhhh shiiii-

It's possible that it'll be the non-DualShock Director's Cut, with the original soundtrack. Especially considering that this thing doesn't even have DualShock controllers.

The full list is a strange mix of actual classics, early games that pioneered before being quickly super-ceded by better games, those with small cult followings and mind-boggling "who asked for THAT?" cheapness.

I understand why games that used a lot of licenses aren't available. I understand why Crash and Spyro were left out (I guess Resident Evil HD and New N Tasty were deemed old enough not to be a sales concern).

But there's so many odd decisions here.

I had to Google Intelligent Qube. Turns out it was called Kurushi in Europe...which I've only heard of recently due to a random Youtube video. Add in Mr Driller and Super Puzzle Fighter, did we really need 3 puzzle games?

Battle Arena Toshinden, who's going to play that for more than ten minutes when they have Tekken 3 right there? Jumping Flash instead of almost any other 3D platformer that followed it? Surely Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby are similar enough to cover the same niche? Couldn't Wipeout have made an appearance?

If you're having M Rated games like GTA, why leave out some of the other big names like Silent Hill (Konami already agreed to MGS, can't have been much more to ask)?

Rainbow Six, when was the last time anyone talked about the original game? I've heard people reminisce for the first Medal of Honour more recently than that.

Its a really strange hodge-podge that feels like a quick cash grab. You might as well get the best ones from PSN, at least then you'll have analogue controls.

EDIT - apparently the Japanese version is a little different, and includes the following:

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Biohazard Director’s Cut (Resident Evil Director’s Cut)
  • Final Fantasy VII International
  • G Darius
  • Gradius Gaiden
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Megami Ibunroku Persona: Be Your True Mind (Revelations: Persona)
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Parasite Eve
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • SaGa Frontier
  • Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
  • Tekken 3
  • Toshinden (Battle Arena Toshinden)
  • Wild Arms
  • XI [sái] (Devil Dice)

Well, this explains why they went silent for a month and a half. All right for anyone who might care, here's what I think of this line-up, it's pretty long though.

The 2 Capcom games they pick are Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and RE1? Come on, pick the Alpha games instead, and RE2 instead of the original RE. RE2 won't get a remake that'll make it obsolete like RE1 did. Or a meme soundtrack.

FFVII AGAIN - I get why, but it's been released so many times on so many goddamn platforms it's lost all of its novelty. FF Tactics, FF IX or Chrono Cross would've been a far more novel and interesting choice.

Rainbow Six - huh? Why? It's a PC game. Just...why? Is it because Siege is popular? Why not Metal of Honor if you wanted a realistic FPS?

Rayman - It's not really a PS1 defining game. It started for Jaguar, launched on Saturn and PC(the inferior version). Also, it's not very fun. Should've been Rayman 2 - released on other platforms but far more fondly remembered is the only one with voice acting.

Battle Arena Toshinden - Always linked it more to the Saturn honestly. Why not Soul Edge if you wanted a weapons based 3D fighter, specially with SCVI out already, or just for that kick-ass intro?

Cool Boarders 2 - Has anyone ever heard of this game before? Maybe it's just my ignorance of sports games? When I think PS1 sports I don't think snowboarding. 

Revelations: Persona - One of the very first localized Atlus games. I don't even need to play it to know that the localization is probably crap, so it's outdated on it's writing alone.

Mr. Driller - ......why. It's fine, but if you wanted a cartooney Namco game pick Pac-Man World instead. It actually has longevity.

GTA 1 - No one, and I mean no one ever talks about any GTA game before III, and going back to 1 would create such whiplash it would throw players back to the menu, so what's even the point?

Intelligent Qube - An odd choice for a puzzle game, but it seems to be a Sony IP of some sort or it must've been a relatively cheap license. Seems good enough for a puzzle game

The rest are solid choices, but if they weren't picked the backlash would be immense, but even then I've already seen a bunch of comments talking about how some of them should've been replaced with their sequels because of how much better they were received.

This is honestly really weak, when more than half of your games are hardly console defining games, let alone of the 5th generation as a whole, and others that could be console defining games are outclassed by their sequels in the same console. And you're asking 100$ for this. The PS Classic better be hackable.

27 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

It's possible that it'll be the non-DualShock Director's Cut, with the original soundtrack. Especially considering that this thing doesn't even have DualShock controllers.

Maybe, but I honestly doubt that. If the Onimusha Remaster will have a new OST, Resident Evil: DC will still keep its "Someone's hiding his own fart" OST. But if it does happen I'll eat a hat. 

Some of the choices are just odd. Why Abe's Odyssey over Abe's Exodus? Why GTA1 over GTA 2? 

Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 should all be represented. Resident Evil 2 should be there. Tekken 2 should probably be there. The lack of the Crash and Spyro games are a pisstake. 

I think Rayman would be a good choice if it was complementing the main games, but the whole lineup looks shoddy as is.