Awoo.

Should Sonic team do something about Silver's time travel ?

Gumbit

Should Sonic team do something about Silver's time travel ? I think Silver is screwed up with time travel thing , I find it to be not convincing enough for Silver to travel through time to warn Sonic and his friends from a danger , because how the future will be doomed if Sonic with many competent friends on his side are in present time to save the day ?

Each time they win the future is altered. When they won against Eggman, the new future was a destroyed world by Neo Metal Sonic.

It would probably require them to make a game focussed on Silver.  I can't see them being pushed into making a decision otherwise.

If they plan to continue using him, they certainly ought to put more thought into him. Though that could be said of every character, at this point.

I'm not really sure what they could do about the time travel thing, though. As it is, they're kind of implying that the world would perpetually be doomed if not for his interference, which is more influence than I think he's justified in having. But without some sort of "Bad Future" situation to motivate him, it's hard to justify why he'd ever be in the present, especially when you consider that he might be mucking up his time by doing so. He can't just casually show up like most of the rest of the cast, and he doesn't have any kind of active motivation or goal that he's pursuing that could draw him into conflicts. He could really stand to have a pretty deep overhaul to figure out who he is and what purpose he actually serves for the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

If they're gonna keep using Silver like this they might as well have him stay in the present. He seems to get along with people there and he doesn't seem to have many friends at all in the future. It's not like there's any obligation to stay there.

That's pretty weak reasoning, but the weaker reasoning that keeps having him coming back to this time period is worse, imo. If you're gonna keep using him I'd just do that and maybe throw some fish out of water humor into it and have fun with it. Idk.

• Thumbs Up 1

Silver has altered his future so heavily that anyone who he might have known or cared for in that time line has probably been long since erased. Him and Nega are probably the only remnants left, due to their apparent immunity from time based anomalies.

Silver wouldn't run into any problems if he decided to stay in the past. He would continue to fight for a better future without the extra baggage of traveling back and forth. Unfortunately, the whole time cop angle is more popular than ever in DBZ these days, so I don't see Sega being willing to let that aspect of Silver''s character go anytime soon. He can leech of the popularity and relevancy of the concept so long as it remains part of his backstory.

• Thumbs Up 1

Forces kinda just decided to say "fuck the canon" and shoved Silver in there without any explanation as to how or why he was even there, so it wouldn't surprised me if they just quietely retconned the whole time travel schtick anyway.

They should fix the entire Sonic canon, but that's never gonna happen. At this point, I'm not even sure they know the word 'canon' exists or know what it means.

At this point I'd be more surprised if he wasn't just sticking around in the present because why not.

If they are sticking to the Time Travel thing, well, then that whole shtick is getting really old really fast.

6 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

Forces kinda just decided to say "fuck the canon" and shoved Silver in there without any explanation as to how or why he was even there, so it wouldn't surprised me if they just quietely retconned the whole time travel schtick anyway.

Considering the SEGA-commisioned prequel comic brought it up, and IDW still use it, I doubt that. 

• Way Past Cool 1

Silver being from the future is (a big part of) his character for better or worse. Unless they want to give actual focus on him besides cameoes/borderline cameoes, that probably won't change because he isn't really that important anyway. Blaze being a princess from another dimension makes rationalizing appearances for her hard, but she would pretty much be a shell if she just became a random cat with fire powers. Like, her dimension was destroyed so she's free to hang out with Sonic and friends all the time. It'd be dumb.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think they should just get rid of silver as he has been no use... no pun intended.

Seriously though he  really doesn't have any purpose anymore just another side character to make the occasional cameo but have no real purpose to the story. It's just sad as you can make him work but like any other Sega Sonic character outside of Sonic himself he serves no real purpose to the story and is only there for fanservice

9 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

I think they should just get rid of silver as he has been no use... no pun intended.

Seriously though he  really doesn't have any purpose anymore just another side character to make the occasional cameo but have no real purpose to the story. It's just sad as you can make him work but like any other Sega Sonic character outside of Sonic himself he serves no real purpose to the story and is only there for fanservice

Matter of fact is that thinking would scrap basically everyone but Sonic and Eggman

2 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

If that is the bar you want to use, then like Razule said above you'd be looking to scrap almost every side character outside of Tails.

When you get down to it, Silver is actually one of the side characters that has had some degree of plot relevance in recent years. He trumps characters like Amy and Vector in a heads up comparison. When he shows up, he tends to get some degree of Focus, like a boss battle in Generations and even a dynamic cut-scene in Forces - which was more than most of that friends got. When Silver is around - he's almost never a total wallflower just there to cheer Sonic on. He does stuff.

At this point SEGA should just drop the whole Silver is from the future gimmick if they don't bother explaining why he's here in the first. Same with Blaze being from another dimension just let them be normal civilians that live in Sonic's world. 

21 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

When you get down to it, Silver is actually one of the side characters that has had some degree of plot relevance in recent years. He fuckfaces characters like Amy and Vector in a heads up comparison. When he shows up, he tends to get some degree of Focus, like a boss battle in Generations and even a dynamic cut-scene in Forces - which was more than most of that friends got. When Silver is around - he's almost never a total wallflower just there to cheer Sonic on. He does stuff.

He may technically do stuff, but, like, does he really do stuff? He was a boss in Generations, but that's just References: The Game and there's no actual story connected to his appearance in it. And in Forces all he does is bump Infinite once and then get slapped down; you could swap just about any character in there and it'd play out the same.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, the roles the characters play in the modern games are largely interchangeable. They don't make smart use of a character's abilities, story, or personality. For example, Knuckles may be the resistance leader in Forces, but there isn't a whole lot about the resistance and their strategy that puts that character's unique stamp on it. Same with Amy in the computer/navigator role.

They may as well just say “Silver got stuck in the present, and now lives there.” That way, that future gimmick is still unique to his character, but they don’t need to bring it up whenever they wanna use him.

I don't really like the idea of just having him move to the present, because then him being from the future stops mattering. It basically just becomes a bullet point in his backstory rather than something that shapes his actions and his general character (especially when they've been so tight-lipped about what his time period is even like without Iblis).

• Thumbs Up 1

Silver and Blaze kinda have their own backstory with them been in another time era or in Blaze's case another dimension. Their are kinda stuck in their own ongoing story that is separated from Sonic's. 

But if fans really do want to see them return, than I think that their is no other choice than creating a new head canon for them, where those two are civilians of Sonic's world like the rest of his friends. I really can't think of a prober way to use them regularly, if they are not a part of the same narrative that takes place in the same time and dimension. 

The only other idea that could work, is, if Sega gives both of them their own spin-off games, similar like Nintendo did to some of their side characters like DK and Wario with their own cast of characters and world. 

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Who misses SA1 when the characters had an actual purpose?

I do, nowadays seems like only Sonic and the good doctor have any relevance.

5 hours ago, Diogenes said:

He may technically do stuff, but, like, does he really do stuff? He was a boss in Generations, but that's just References: The Game and there's no actual story connected to his appearance in it. And in Forces all he does is bump Infinite once and then get slapped down; you could swap just about any character in there and it'd play out the same.

Well, in comparison to the rest of the cast, he gets shown off in a favorable light. You can hand-wave his inclusion as a boss in Gens, but at the end of the day he got more mileage than 90% of the rest of the fuzzy cast. He got to stand around cheering Sonic on at the end on top of having that boss battle to his credit. He was there, and the devs used him.

I'd seriously have reservations about saying anyone could swap in for Silver and end up with the same result in forces. I think the list of characters who could go toe to toe with Infinite hard enough to make him drop a prototype is on the lean side. But I get what your trying to say. Even in the face of that, you cant discredit that he had more screen time, and actually contributed to plot in that allotted screen time. Silver and Rouge were the two friends that had major contributions to Forces overall plot. Without those two, the heroes would have lost.

Whereas in the last couple games - characters like Amy, Vector and even Knuckles have been little more than mouthpieces - Silver has actually shown up and done stuff in his appearances. I'm not going to say he's being utilized as well as he should be, but I will be quick to point out that he has a leg up on most of the friends ensemble.

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Well, in comparison to the rest of the cast, he gets shown off in a favorable light. You can hand-wave his inclusion as a boss in Gens, but at the end of the day he got more mileage than 90% of the rest of the fuzzy cast. He got to stand around cheering Sonic on at the end on top of having that boss battle to his credit. He was there, and the devs used him.

Is a boss fight really worth that much more than the team-up and competitive missions that the rescued characters get, though? It might carry a little more weight as all bosses are required but some missions can be skipped, but I don't think it's a meaningful difference, and I'd say it has more to do with the structure of the game than Silver being deliberately better used.

I'd seriously have reservations about saying anyone could swap in for Silver and end up with the same result in forces. I think the list of characters who could go toe to toe with Infinite hard enough to make him drop a prototype is on the lean side.

It's not as if Silver even does much. The two DBZ dash at each other for a bit, the ruby gets dropped when they pass each other one time, and then Silver gets one-shot. Throw any character short of Cream or so in there and they could believably manage something equivalent.

Even in the face of that, you cant discredit that he had more screen time, and actually contributed to plot in that allotted screen time.

If by screen time you're only counting fully animated cutscenes then sure, he's up there, but a lot of Forces' story is told through dialogue over the world map. Considering that one scene is about all he does before going back to just getting the occasional random line I'd say it's a difference of pennies.

And I'd really struggle to say that counts as contributing to the plot, because it's so arbitrary and accidental. He "contributes to the plot" about as much as the arm of the Ferris wheel boss in Colors did.