Awoo.

Does Sonic Forces have you awaiting the next 3D game announcement?

Whatever the WhoCares

1 minute ago, knuckles20 said:

The thing is, it does come off as you insulting the people who like the game when you say "I thought for sure by now we'd all grown up and realized how stupid and poorly written that was." As if anyone who actually enjoy the story are immature for liking it.

Also can we talk about "the writing has never been good" argument? Every time someone says that it's an invitation for Sonic Team to not try to improve in that department 

That's a fair criticism. I apologize to anyone who thought I was saying that.

I have several friends who love SA2 and we disagree on how good that game was constantly. I say similar things but they can easily understand I'm not insulting them. Some of my friends (some ;) ) are actually brilliant people. I just happen to think the writing in that game was handled in a childish way. Not childish in the sense that that's who the target audience is but as in, the person writing the story wrote it with severe lack of attention to detail and consistency, which is the hallmark of an inexperienced writer.

Sonic Team not improving in their writing is really a commentary on them, not on the series' need for better writing itself. The stories can definitely use better, more consistent writing and should have received it long ago but....consistent writing and world building has not been a priority for the franchise. I 100% wish it was and think it should, but it hasn't been. 

30 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Dude, like, nearly every scene with both Sonic and the avatar character has them working well together, becoming more friendly, and eventually they had Sonic explicitly calling the avatar his friend and saying his friends are why he's gotten this far, even before the awkward "heart, soul, and friendship" line.

Is this one of those "it doesn't count if it's not the characters I care about" kind of things?

I'd have far less of a problem with it if it wasn't Sonic + OC character throguhout the ENTIRE game. The whole story is written oh so obviously to put as much spotlight on your OC as much as possible, while pushing every other character to the sidelines, basically making them nothing more than fan service.

Had it been done in a way where say other characters are playable as well (so they actually contribute something actually worthwhile to the story), and those characters share a few co-op stages with the OC as well, making the OC look less like Sonic's new best friend in the entire world, I would be much less annoyed by it. But even then, I wouldn't want Sonic monologing like that, it's just cringeworthy and amateur hour writing. People love to crap over the writing in Sonic Heroes, when Forces's writing is 10 times more cringeworthy compared to it.

My problem isn't they're trying to make this OC character a worthy ally/friend for Sonic, my problem is they're trying to make it his ONLY worthy/friend ally in the game while the other characters do jack shit.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I'd have far less of a problem with it if it wasn't Sonic + OC character throguhout the ENTIRE game. The whole story is written oh so obviously to put as much spotlight on your OC as much as possible, while pushing every other character to the sidelines, basically making them nothing more than fan service.

Had it been done in a way where say other characters are playable as well (so they actually contribute something actually worthwhile to the story), and those characters share a few co-op stages with the OC as well, making the OC look less like Sonic's new best friend in the entire world, I would be much less annoyed by it. But even then, I wouldn't want Sonic monologing like that, it's just cringeworthy and amateur hour writing. People love to crap over the writing in Sonic Heroes, when Forces's writing is 10 times more cringeworthy compared to it.

And at least it’s still better than the games shortly before it, right?

Just now, Tarnish said:

Okay, so we're in agreement now that Sonic wasn't portrayed as not giving a shit about friendship, then?

It's not inherently a bad choice for them to focus on one specific friendship rather than trying to spread it across a cast of a dozen or so characters, especially when they're focusing on a friendship built up over the course of the game and not just preexisting relationships. That's obviously going to take more time to build than just having Sonic fist bump people he already knows, and (when written well) should have more impact than a static relationship.

Also feeling shades of the old "how dare Chip replace Tails as Sonic's friend!" comments here, as if Sonic's relationship with other characters stops existing if they're not paying enough attention to it.

Just now, Tarnish said:

Had it been done in a way where say other characters are playable as well (so they actually contribute something actually worthwhile to the story),

Probably prohibitively expensive, especially given how short Forces is already. Also, not the only way for characters to contribute to the story. Just throwing them into random levels would hardly make them any more relevant than they already were, even.

Just now, Tarnish said:

But even then, I wouldn't want Sonic monologing like that, it's just cringeworthy and amateur hour writing. People love to crap over the writing in Sonic Heroes, when Forces's writing is 10 times more cringeworthy compared to it.

I'm no fan of bad monologuing either, but I don't see how Forces' bad lines are any worse than "the real super power of teamwork". Bad lines are practically a series staple.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

And at least it’s still better than the games shortly before it, right?

I would say it's exactly like a lot of the games before it.

Sonic Lost World: Knuckles and Amy are part of the story (for some reason as we don't know why the heck are they on the Hex world or whatever it's called, or how the heck did they even get there..), they're complaining when the energy of the planet is being drained (or whatever tired plot device it was), but basically await their deaths not trying to do anything about it.

Sonic Generations: every charcater besides the Sonics are just cheerleaders for the Sonics in the entire game. Even tho they are trapped in that time-whatever, they're fine with it and don't feel like they should try to get out of it.

Just now, Tarnish said:

Sonic Lost World: Knuckles and Amy are part of the story (for some reason as we don't know why the heck are they on the Hex world or whatever it's called, or how the heck did they even get there..), they're complaining when the energy of the planet is being drained (or whatever tried plot device it was), but basically await their deaths not trying to do anything about it.

...they weren't on Lost Hex, dude. That's why they didn't do anything to try to stop Eggman's machine, because they weren't anywhere near it (also, they were having the life drained out of them).

48 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Okay, so we're in agreement now that Sonic wasn't portrayed as not giving a shit about friendship, then?

It's not inherently a bad choice for them to focus on one specific friendship rather than trying to spread it across a cast of a dozen or so characters, especially when they're focusing on a friendship built up over the course of the game and not just preexisting relationships. That's obviously going to take more time to build than just having Sonic fist bump people he already knows, and (when written well) should have more impact than a static relationship.

Also feeling shades of the old "how dare Chip replace Tails as Sonic's friend!" comments here, as if Sonic's relationship with other characters stops existing if they're not paying enough attention to it.

Probably prohibitively expensive, especially given how short Forces is already. Also, not the only way for characters to contribute to the story. Just throwing them into random levels would hardly make them any more relevant than they already were, even.

I'm no fan of bad monologuing either, but I don't see how Forces' bad lines are any worse than "the real super power of teamwork". Bad lines are practically a series staple.

Well it was the "I have a new friend now, so I'll ignore my old friends and only hang out with the new one" kind of friendship. Not exactly something positive if you ask me.

The problem with focusing solely on one character, is that now they're trying to ignore or pretend Sonic has no other allies he can work together as well. It's basically an "out with the old and in with the new" approach: the OC character had nothing special about it, yet Sonic teamed up with him exclusively, even tho other characters could probably offer a bigger help when it came to abilies. Yet, they completely ignored all this, cuz of "mah OC is the best".

Well, if they're literally playing down Sonic's supposed friendship with other characters to a bare minimum in each and every game, you can't help but ask: is he really friends with those guys anymore if he doesn't talk or do with them anything anymore? Just because they want to introduce a new character, shouldn't mean "well, guess the old ones are not really needed anymore". Had the writers were competent, they could introduce a new character by making him interact with OTHER characters as well, not just Sonic all the time. How the new character influences a group, not just 1 single character. Like how would that character change the conversation between Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. You would expect Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have a certain chemistry between them (that's why Heroes was great because we got to see that chemistry), how does that character change that chemistry? We just don't get to see that if we only get shallow writing where it's Sonic + OC all the time.

It's amazing how back in the day, they were able to make different gameplay styles even tho they were bleeding money left, right and center during the Dreamcast days. Now, when they are supposedly in a better shape, it's too expensive to do so. So either Sonic games don't sell as well as they're used to, or for some bizarre reason, can't keep the budget down like they used to. Regarding the "throwing them into random levels would hardly make them any more relevant", might I remind you that in these "story driven" games, there's usually a story element for each stage, why they are at said stage and what they want to accomplish, what's their mission. So say Tails get's to do a stage, that means he's doing a mission, trying to accomplish something, contributing to the story, being active.

Man, people, love to harp about that "the real super power of teamwork", line. If you ask me, that at least actually made sense to have it in there. For one, there actually WAS teamwork in that game. Two, Sonic actually wanted to go against Metal Sonic on his own at first ("Just leave that to me, doc"), but the others insisted on helping (not being useless idiots..the good old days), so he was actually just commenting on that. In Forces, those monologs just came out of nowhere. Plus, the Heroes line was short, from memory the Forces monologs dragged on for longer. Plus, a voice actor who actually fitted the role also helped in Heroes.

40 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

...they weren't on Lost Hex, dude. That's why they didn't do anything to try to stop Eggman's machine, because they weren't anywhere near it (also, they were having the life drained out of them).

Sure looks like the scenery they had on Hex to me.

SLW.jpg

1 minute ago, Tarnish said:

Well it was the "I have a new friend now, so I'll ignore my old friends and only hang out with the new one" kind of friendship. Not exactly something positive if you ask me.

That's not even remotely what happened in the game. Sonic never ignored anyone, he never acted coldly towards his other friends, he works with the rest of the heroes from the time he rejoins them until the end of the game. They didn't stop being friends just because they weren't playable alongside him. This is exactly the kind of nonsense I just pointed out.

Well, if they're literally playing down Sonic's supposed friendship with other characters to a bare minimum in each and every game, you can't help but ask: is he really friends with those guys anymore if he doesn't talk or do with them anything anymore?

Yes. Sonic has always been pretty independent, arguably something of a loner. He's never been especially close with the rest of the cast aside from Tails, who has tagged along with him in most games.

Just because they want to introduce a new character, shouldn't mean "well, guess the old ones are not really needed anymore". Had the writers were competent, they could introduce a new character by making him interact with OTHER characters as well, not just Sonic all the time. How the new character influences a group, not just 1 single character. Like how would that character change the conversation between Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. You would expect Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have a certain chemistry between them (that's why Heroes was great because we got to see that chemistry), how does that character change that chemistry? We just don't get to see that if we only get shallow writing where it's Sonic + OC all the time.

Or, y'know, that's just not the point of the game? They wanted to focus on the growing friendship between Sonic and the avatar character and not on some four-way Sonic/Tails/Knuckles/Avatar dynamic. That doesn't inherently make for shallow writing.

It's amazing how back in the day, they were able to make different gameplay styles even tho they were bleeding money left, right and center during the Dreamcast days. Now, when they are supposedly are in a better shape,

Haha, wow, what part of Forces makes you think they're in better shape?

Regarding the "throwing them into random levels would hardly make them any more relevant", might I remind you that in these "story driven" games, there's usually a story element for each stage, why they are at said stage and what they want to accomplish, what's their mission. So say Tails get's to do a stage, that means he's doing a mission, trying to accomplish something, contributing to the story, being active.

Yeah but Forces isn't actually a story driven game. It's a game that gives you a paper-thin justification for some of its levels, and then drones on about its story between levels. Having random characters tag along on excuse missions would not actually make their role in the game more meaningful.

Man, people, love to harp about that "the real super power of teamwork", line. If you ask me, that at least actually made sense to have it in there. For one, there actually WAS teamwork in that game. Two, Sonic actually wanted to go against Metal Sonic on his own at first ("Just leave that to me, doc"), but the others insisted on helping (not being useless idiots..the good old days), so he was actually just commenting on that. In Forces, those monologs just came out of nowhere.

Okay so now you're back to ignoring what Forces actually did, right? The game is not subtle about its theme of friendship, it only "comes out of nowhere" if you're deliberately ignoring it.

20 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Sure looks like the scenery they had on Hex to me.

And yet, it is not. If they were on the Lost Hex they wouldn't have gotten the life sucked out of them. Eggman's machine was sucking the life out of the Earth (or well, most likely Sonic's planet, whatever it's called), not the Lost Hex.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

That's not even remotely what happened in the game. Sonic never ignored anyone, he never acted coldly towards his other friends

After Tails met up with Sonic after Sonic was tortured for months, he brushed Tails off with basically "you worry too much". Not "I'm glad to see you' too, buddy", not "I missed to you too, buddy". Wasn't the warmest of welcome after what was it..half a year?

Not interacting with someone in favor to have more interaction with others sounds like the definition of "ignore" to me.

Okay so now you're back to ignoring what Forces actually did, right? The game is not subtle about its theme of friendship, it only "comes out of nowhere" if you're deliberately ignoring it.

I never felt friendship was a theme they focused on in the story until those monologs were shoved in my face. Might be the crap writing..or because  "Forces isn't actually a story driven game" like you said.

Haha, wow, what part of Forces makes you think they're in better shape?

Well I thought SEGA was back to making money instead of losing it. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I kept hearing in those yearly reports they're making profit.

After Tails met up with Sonic after Sonic was tortured for months, he brushed Tails off with basically "you worry too much". Not "I'm glad to see you' too, buddy", not "I missed to you too, buddy".

Sonic's excitement was clear in his voice when he first called out to Tails, their first physical interaction is just shy of a hug, and the next thing he says to him is comforting, confirming that he's fine and Tails doesn't have to worry anymore. It's not the most emotional response, but that's because Sonic is a Cool Dude who doesn't let anyone see him sweat.

Not interacting with someone in favor to have more interaction with others sounds like the definition of "ignore" to me.

They're not just hanging out, dude, there's a war going on. Everybody is working to get shit fixed in their own way, it's not the time to worry about balancing time spent between friends. Not that Sonic would anyway; again, he's only ever been especially close with Tails, he has always hung out and teamed up with Tails more than any other character. The idea that he can only be friends with people if he's treating them all equally is nonsense.

12 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I never felt friendship was a theme they focused on in the story until those monologs were shoved in my face.

Yeah you've made it very clear that you don't pay much attention to what actually goes on in the games your criticizing. But I would've thought if nothing else that Fist Bump made it obvious.

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

But I would've thought if nothing else that Fist Bump made it obvious.

Oh right, the theme song that's made of cheese instead of just being cheesy. Well maybe it was their intention to make it about friendship, but sadly crap execution is a thing. It was about "friendship between Sonic and your OC", not friendship in general. I mean if that's the only character interaction they're focusing on, that's what I see.

It is about friendship in general, as examined primarily through one particular friendship.

These are games for children, dude, the themes aren't hard to grasp. If you're just going to continue being mad that it doesn't focus on the characters you wanted it to focus on, there's not much more we can say about this.

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If you're just going to continue being mad that it doesn't focus on the characters you wanted it to focus on, there's not much more we can say about this.

Well excuse me I can't force myself to like and enjoy something I just simply don't like and enjoy.

I'm not insisting that you like it, I just expect you to acknowledge what it is actually doing instead of constantly misrepresenting it.

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I'm not insisting that you like it, I just expect you to acknowledge what it is actually doing instead of constantly misrepresenting it.

I'm only saying it as I see it. Maybe their intention was different, but it didn't come through.

6 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

Do we have any news/rumours about what the next game will be about?

No. Sega will now focus on Team Sonic Racing and maybe the movie first, before they announce the next big game. Unless the next big 3D game is a tie in game with the movie. 

But if not, than the next new 3D game should only than come out, if Sega finally figured out, what they want to do with it. I don't care if it takes them 5 years or maybe even 10 years. They just should finally figure out a formula that works for a 3D Sonic and stick with it. Before this happens, I do not see any reason, why they should bring Modern Sonic back. Modern Sonic can't have another mediocre or bad game in his line up. Not even Sonic can survive this long. One day, if their continue with this routine, all the people including the fans will loose hope in the 3D games and maybe even in the series in general.

There for, I really hope, that the next Modern Sonic game will only than come out, when they finally have a vision of it.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Diogenes said:

It is about friendship in general, as examined primarily through one particular friendship.

Not to ride on this topic for too long, but I'll just finish it with this: did we really need another game in which part of the plot was "Sonic befriends new character" to begin with?

In Sonic Rush he befriends Blaze.
In Sonic Rush Adventure, he befriends Marine.
In Sonic 2006 he befriends Elise.
In Sonic & the Secret Rings he befriends Shahra.
In Sonic Unleashed he befriends Chip.
In Sonic Colors he befriends Yacker.
In Sonic Generations he befriends..himself..

Tarnish has a point. The whole series theme was always about friendship. Heck, even in the animated series. Sonic X's story is mostly about Chris and his bound with Sonic and other characters.

I guess what I'm trying to get at, is besides Forces being a poorly written and executed story, it also uses a plot element that's just overused and plain boring at this point. It's starting to get overused as much as the "story around collecting the 7 Chaos Emeralds" plots were.

Oh, a new character, guess who's gonna be his/her new best buddy? Sonic of course, duh!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, what kind of story should the series than have? Sonic is not necessarily a concept than can be used for 100s of different stories. Plus we kinda have done a lot of it already. We had stories about time traveling, demons, other dimensions, werewolves, ancient monsters, aliens, gods, freedom fights, revenge, knights, pirates, evil genies, world domination and even against the devil himself. What other stories can be told with a concept about a blue hedgehog?

Even series like Mario, Crash and DKC have got better chances in telling a unique story in their series at this point, compare to Sonic who is pretty much done by now. Maybe we can do something that is music related, since music seems to be a huge part of the Sonic series. Or.... maybe something about... let's see.... something about.... maybe make an origin story of the super form transformation? Or maybe something related to water, since Sonic can't swim.... or something about the Sanic meme... Heck, I don't know. Sonic is pretty much done when it comes to story telling if you ask me.  

25 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Well, what kind of story should than have? Sonic is not necessarily a concept than can be used for 100 of different stories. Plus we kinda have done a lot of it already. We had stories about time traveling, demons, other dimensions, werewolves, ancient monsters, aliens, gods, freedom fights, knights, pirates, evil genies, spirits, world domination and even against the devil himself. What other stories can be told with a concept of a blue hedgehog?

Even series like Mario, Crash and DKC have got better chances in telling a unique story in their series at this point, compare to Sonic who is pretty much done. Maybe we can do something that is music related, since music seems to be a huge part of the Sonic series. Or.... maybe something about... let's see.... something about.... maybe make an origin story of the super form transformation? Or maybe something related to water, since Sonic can't swim.... or something about the Sanic meme... Heck, I don't know. Sonic is pretty much done when it comes to story telling if you ask me.  

Well for one, we don't need Sonic to make a new best friend in every 2nd game. There's already a way too big cast, how about putting them to use and trying to deepen the character portrayals, telling/showing us more about them instead of constantly introducing a new shallow character that we will never know more about in following games.

There's nothing wrong with "one use" characters, but SEGA/Sonic Team keeps insisting on using characters without actually making them interesting or richer. For example, Silver should have been a one use character, he's from a possible future, done. But nah, he's now apparently here to stay, just because..some fans like him. He's included for no rhyme or reason. For me it's really hard to like a character like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with you in everything. Yes, they should really take advantage of their established cast by now. It is the same issue I have with Nintendo where they barley use any of their beloved characters in a meaningful way like Daisy or King K. Rool. Sega should focus more on those established characters and maybe they will come up with a new story, who knows. But.... sadly this will not happen very soon, because their is a reason why they always introduce new characters for each game.Their function as a marketing tool, to get the attention of the fans. 

Almost each new game's marketing campaign focused a lot on the new character/s. Shadow and also Rouge with SA2, The Babylon Rouges for the Riders series, Silver with 06, Blaze with the Rush series, The Deadly Six with Lost Word, Sticks for the Boom series and Infinite and the Avatar for Forces. Heck, even the comic series do that to this day. Tangle was kinda a big marketing tool for the new IDW comics. Like she was the new fresh character that will get people interested in the new comic series. At least this is what I felt.

I highly doubt that they will stop with introducing new characters for each game. And it works in some ways. People adore every new character as long as they look like typical Sonic characters. I'm pretty sure, if the Deadly Six would have the design of traditional animal characters the series is known for, they would be as beloved and well received as Jet, Silver or Infinite.  

5 hours ago, Rowl said:

Well, what kind of story should the series than have? Sonic is not necessarily a concept than can be used for 100s of different stories. Plus we kinda have done a lot of it already.

The thing that I think gets forgotten a lot about Sonic is that he is an adventurer. It's something that hasn't really been touched on since Sonic 3 where Sonic chose to head out in search of his next adventure in response to an ancient ring with ancient text on it washing up on the beach Sonic was chilling at. It's one of the series weaknesses really by only telling the stories where Sonic encounters Eggma IMO. Sonic is supposed to be the most famous hedgehog in the world, yet we only see his encounters with Eggman. It's one of the reason's I found BK's story to be a breath of fresh air as Eggman was completely absent from it. We had a chance to see a bit of Sonic approaching life and adventure without his typical encounters with Eggman.

If anything, a part of the problem with the franchise is it's small rouges gallery and refusal to explore some of it's more recognized themes. For example, just from the Green Aesop angle I can pitch two Sonic stories using other characters other than Eggman as the main antagonist (even if the good doctor still has some influence).

Firstly, lets go with technological scrap.
Let's say, Sonic, being an adventurer, hears about some cool location in his opinion and he wants to check it out but when he gets there he discovers that it has become a dumping ground for pretty much all of the robot scrap in the world. While there though he finds out about some McGuffin that can restore the locations former splendor but hears there's a dastardly treasure hunter there also in search of it and that they are recommissioning the scrapped robots to keep would be heroes from intervening. Sonic being Sonic decides to help out and finds himself competing against Fang the Sniper, an anthro (read nature) influenced by technology and adapted to it's presence in the environment for their own ends. Thus you have a story of Sonic vs. Fang as well as a story about the perils of dumping waste into the wild (still a problem today) all while presenting SOnic as the cool blue dude with a 'tude who saves the day.

Secondly, let's play with technological reliance.
Playing around with pretty much the same setup as above, Sonic is off adventuring and starts encountering strange robots that he has never seen the likes of before. Considering how dangerous and militant they are he decides to investigate and he comes across the ancient technological genius from say the Fourth Great Civilization if you want, Lyric. Lyric being a survivor of the disaster that ended that age only due to his bond with technology is on some crazed scheme to "save" the whole world by ridding it of it's organic limitations and Sonic goes on a quest to stop him, his journey introducing him to Lyric's history and the remnants of the Fourth Great Civilization. Now, you have a story with Sonic vs. Lyric of all characters and the conflict of the need for technology to survive or not. As Sonic and his best friend both rely on quite a bit of technology themselves (Sonic's plane the Tornado for reference) it creates an interesting dynamic with the extreme end of relying on technology.

Now, as a bonus third, let's play around with the inherent danger of just making things cause you can.
This time taking a bit of inspiration from Megaman/Rockman, Sonic is off on some adventure or another and hears on the radio of the Tornado that robots are rampaging in some location or another. Every the intrepid hero and daredevil Sonic decides to jump in and discovers a plethora of robots from different sources all working together to cause chaos. Further investigation leads Sonic to encounter and square off against a member of the Deadly Six. From here, Sonic finds himself in a desperate race to stop the Yeti from exerting their control over machinery to bring about an catastrophe and you know have another story of Sonic vs. a different adversary, in this case the Deadly Six, as well as the dangers of just building technology for the sake of it. You have a situation where one is looking at just how dangerous unchecked technology can be if it falls into the wrong hands.

Anyway, just like that in the span of a few minutes I was able to pitch 3 different stories without compromising any of Sonic's danger of technology themes or adventurer themes. The only thing I omitted was focusing solely on Sonic's encounters with Eggman. Much as the Doc is the main antagonist of the series, Sonic is the protagonist and thus the stories should and need to follow him, even beyond the scope of his conflicts with Eggman. But if I can stick to two themes and come up with three story pitches in a matter of minutes then there are still plenty of story telling ideas to be explored in the franchise. If anything, it's just like others have said before me that SEGA/Sonic Team need to define Sonic's identity and stick to it instead of trying to always match the current trends. With that type of mentality the next Sonic game will be Metal Sonic & E-123 Omega: Battle Royal!!!!!! I don't think any of us really want that as a serious entry in this franchise.

Now then, just to address the topic, in a word; no. Forces entertained even wit has bad as it is why I was playing it, but it did not leave me curious for what's next. If anything, when I finished I was left nostalgic and longing for the classic days due a certain flower. So of course Mania and Plus were there to fill the void and the Mania project on a whole has left me awaiting what's next for the Classic branch of the franchise. That said though, I'll sure enough jump in to the promotional buzz when Sonic's next outing is announced, but 3D and Modern (outside of IDW) is not where my anticipation lies.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

The thing that I think gets forgotten a lot about Sonic is that he is an adventurer. It's something that hasn't really been touched on since Sonic 3 where Sonic chose to head out in search of his next adventure in response to an ancient ring with ancient text on it washing up on the beach Sonic was chilling at.

I think that this character trait is more connected with Classic Sonic. Modern Sonic is now more relaxed and likes to be let alone. His is kinda a bit like Big the Cat at this point. Someone that enjoys more the quiet moments in life. 

I personally do not think, that this type of personality will fit with the new attitude of Modern Sonic. A character can't really be both, a person that seeks for adventure and a person who just wants to relax and sleep all day.