Whatever the WhoCares

Does Sonic Forces have you awaiting the next 3D game announcement?

I'll never understand why whenever the conversation turns to wanting more out of the Sonic stories, the subject immediately jumps to assuming it needs to be "deep". What does that word even mean nowadays? It gets thrown around so much, seeing it pop up so much is really irritating.

I want a narrative that has a lot going on in it. I like seeing the characters interact with one another. I like seeing different things happen. I like seeing different objectives come their way and different reactions to said objectives mix things up. The premise of what's going on doesn't need to be "deep" in order for them to achieve that. I use this example all the time but what was going on at Prison Island wasn't "deep". It was a fairly simple thing. The bad guys wanted to steal some chaos emeralds and blow up the island. The heroes wanted to break out Sonic.

But because of the different objectives in mind as well as the individual personalities of each character, the two sides clashing led to everything going crazy and haywire. Eggman's plan was almost immediately thrown off when he met Amy and then got delayed by Tails. All Rouge had to do was steal some emeralds. She asked for a shorter time and got it but then the Flying Dog showed up because the outside threat of the island was there acting as a third party. Shadow had to stop what he was doing to go save her but then ran into Sonic who was just set free by Amy. Sonic and Shadow fight. The timer is ticking down. Eggman warns Shadow that the bomb is about to go off. Sonic is there so he hears it. They both rush off to gather their collective parties together and barely escape.

That shit is exciting and fulfilling. There were THINGS happening. The twists and turns that happened there, happened literally just because they had a bunch of chess pieces and decided to utilize them. Both sides had a plan but weren't aware of the prescese of the other party. They took their pieces and moved them all over the board, asking what would happen if this character was stopped by this character. How does this character find this important detail out? Well, what if they fought with this character.

That's all I want. When I read the comics and watch something like Sonic X, that's what I get. I'm not opposed to them going full One Piece and throwing some sort of really well-written and beautiful deep message among all the adventure, humor, and action but I'm well aware the writing talent to pull THAT off isn't over at Sonic Team.

"Simple" plots are fine but "Simple" storytelling is boring. The plot of Forces was simple. Eggman took over the world and you have to get the world back. However, the storytelling of Forces was also simple and it shouldn't have been. Way more should have been going on in that game. Forces suffered because they didn't do much with it's plot (among a ton of other things). You can write something interesting around a game with a simple structure too. They just don't.