Awoo.

Media that Traumatized/Scared/Creeped You as a Kid

RedFox99

It's hard to remember anything specific, except for maybe Animals of Farthing Wood. That was more depressing, than scary though, as the show was pretty brutal in its portrayal of the cast's natural desire to straight up kill or eat each other.

image.png.05aec0ed844a6b3dbc0b251865a31cf7.png

image.png.4d7e7791305254d494da5f491b5bdc1d.png

I also didn't remember how creepy the art style could be until I looked it up just now.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, isCasted said:

This was... a thing on Russian public television when I was 4. Certainly gave me and millions of other children nightmares. Looking back at it now, though, it's kinda hilarious

Some of those 80s/early 90s idents were pretty damn weird and creepy when observed as a child, due to all the weird frenetic uses of early basic CGI mixed with sometimes outright sinister sounding synth music. Some of the VHS idents I remember kinda freaking me out a little when I was really young:

Seriously when you're an infant you're just wondering 'WTF IS GOING ON?' When you're adult you're just kinda wondering 'How is this supposed to be appealing again?'

• Thumbs Up 1

There an episode of Chowder which ended with this utterly horrifying pig creature that actually terrified me. Maybe it’s the uncanny valley effect or something like that.

C5A7CEC4-9C31-4FB4-A063-00D9B6FB63C6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

As a kid, I was *terrified* of Ursula from The Little Mermaid. As I got older, I realized that the way she can be super-creepy one moment and hilarious the next made her a fantastic villain. Also, the opening of The Great Mouse Detective when the bat crashes through the window? Nightmarish, even though he becomes funny for the rest of the movie. Neither of these creep me out now, but you know what still does?

Spoiler

image.png.0cbfb40f4439b93f9f4216693c4bc935.png

THIS FUCKER. I was never scared of any other clowns as a kid, but this bastard still creeps me the hell out.

When I was little, a few of the stained glass scenes in the beginning of Beauty and the Beast was scary to me. Also the portrait that was torn and you only saw the eyes. But now I'm ok watching it.