Awoo.

Dreamcast games possibly coming to Switch soon

KHCast

So seems like Sega’s getting closer to emulation of their Dreamcast titles on switch. Which probably means in the next few months, we could possibly get an announcement of those games on Switch.(and possibly other systems) What games are you hoping to see show up?

How ironic that the thumbnail for that vid uses a PC screenshot. :P

It's an interesting development considering a lot of developers can't even do solid Megadrive emulation yet. And it adds a more ambitious number of titles to AGES potential catalogue (a few fans are pretty apathetic to more 8/16 bit rereleases).

Have any professional companies ever actually made a solid Saturn emulation come to think about it?

You know, considering Sega probably would use the GameCube version of SA and SA2 anyway, I don’t actually think the Sonic games aside from Shuffle would be a part of this endeavor. Though either way, I’m interested in what else Sega have been working on emulator wise. 

Don’t we already have a SEGA AGES thread?

Anyway, I feel news sites have glamourised the original interview a bit, particularly in terms of headlines. M2 appears to have barely decided what to do with D.C. in actuality, with the port or emulation routes being at the behest of SEGA rather than them. 

In addition, “we might see D.C. games in a few months” is less ‘optimistic’ and more ‘wildly unrealsitic’. The current wave of MD and Arcade SEGA AGES titles are set to run until March 2019, and they’re already nearly 2 months behind schedule, so make that at least May. Now imagine what kind of challenges Dreamcast titles could throw up (particularly as M2 hasn’t really handled them before to my knowledge) and I’d say the most realistic guess for when the titles might actually show up is, at the earliest, September 2019. And that’s *still* very optimistic, because I could see M2 opt to tackle Model 2 or other arcade/MD games before D.C within a second wave - and all of this hinges on if the first wave sells well anyway. 

You know, considering Sega probably would use the GameCube version of SA and SA2 anyway,

This isn’t SEGA, this is M2. I’m aware I just said the port or emulation options are ultimately at SEGA’s behest but beyond that it’s M2 handling the execution, and the implication from the interview (with them having access to D.C. source code) is that it’d be a choice between emulation and what would essentially be a *new* Director’s Cut. 

Much like how folks may have expected the Taxman version of Sonic 1, because it’s there - nope. This is M2’s Project.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Don’t we already have a SEGA AGES thread?

Anyway, I feel news sites have glamourised the original interview a bit, particularly in terms of headlines. M2 appears to have barely decided what to do with D.C. in actuality, with the port or emulation routes being at the behest of SEGA rather than them. 

In addition, “we might see D.C. games in a few months” is less ‘optimistic’ and more ‘wildly unrealsitic’. The current wave of MD and Arcade SEGA AGES titles are set to run until March 2019, and they’re already nearly 2 months behind schedule, so make that at least May. Now imagine what kind of challenges Dreamcast titles could throw up (particularly as M2 hasn’t really handled them before to my knowledge) and I’d say the most realistic guess for when the titles might actually show up is, at the earliest, September 2019. And that’s *still* very optimistic, because I could see M2 opt to tackle Model 2 or other arcade/MD games before D.C within a second wave - and all of this hinges on if the first wave sells well anyway. 

This isn’t SEGA, this is M2. I’m aware I just said the port or emulation options are ultimately at SEGA’s behest, but the implication from the interview (with them having access to D.C. source code) is that it’d be a choice between emulation and what would essentially be a *new* Director’s Cut. 

Hmm would all this also explain the lack of Dreamcast titles on other systems as well? Just in general sounds like this has been a pain for these people to do let alone on the switch.

also what would a new directors cut even entail at this point? 

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Hmm would all this also explain the lack of Dreamcast titles on other systems as well? Just in general sounds like this has been a pain for these people to do let alone on the switch.

also what would a new directors cut even entail at this point? 

I think the lack of D.C. titles can be explained as “they’re not arsed,” though I question that too - there’s actually been a fair amount of D.C. game ports for other systems. If you want a system that needs ports, Saturn’s what you’re looking for.

As for what a new DX Cut might entail, knowing M2 it could be all manner of things. Looking at SEGA AGES 2500 NiGHTS (the interview specifically refers to SA2500 when discussing the port option) I’d expect them to perhaps include a VMU emulator for Chao Adventure or something like that, or perhaps reinstating the cut Twinkle Circuit tracks and DLC, much like how the NiGHTS port added seasonal costumes and added in some of the Christmas NiGHTS content (like the A-Life Viewer). Granted NiGHTS PS2 was actually SEGA China - I’ll have to check if Okunari has any involvement.   Aaaaaand of course he did - he was the creative producer.

12 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

there’s actually been a fair amount of D.C. game ports for other systems

I was referring more to current ones, like PS4 and Xbox One, but have there been a few I’m not aware of on those? I know Shenmue just released. But was there anything else worth note?

7 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I was referring more to current ones, like PS4 and Xbox One, but have there been a few I’m not aware of on those? I know Shenmue just released. But was there anything else worth note?

Oh fair play on current systems, I forget just how old PS4 is now lol

but in terms of D.C., we’ve had on PS3/X360 and more notably, on PC (and even iOS in a few cases):

• Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Jet Set Radio
  • SEGA Bass Fishing
  • Space Channel 5
  • Space Channel 5 Part 2
  • Crazy Taxi

It’s not a huge list but as far as first party SEGA titles go, you could do a lot worse. And I suppose a few of them are backwards compatible on XBO or on PSNOW on PS4. And now we can add Shenmue to that, too!

Truthfully I'd rather they'd delve more into their overlooked 90s material. Mega CD, 32X, Saturn, most of their arcade catalogue that isn't from the 80s. Sure those consoles didn't have a lot individually, but combined, there's loads of cool stuff that's being skipped over there.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I got a port of Adventure 1 and 2 on Switch so they could be played portably, I’d be very happy honestly.

Granted, I wouldn’t mind a proper remaster port for PS4 and Xbox One, maybe proper fix up a lot of the bugs, readd the Game Gear games, new trophy lists with platinums etc but at the moment, a Switch port would hold highest value to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Oh fair play on current systems, I forget just how old PS4 is now lol

but in terms of D.C., we’ve had on PS3/X360 and more notably, on PC (and even iOS in a few cases):

• Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Jet Set Radio
  • SEGA Bass Fishing
  • Space Channel 5
  • Space Channel 5 Part 2
  • Crazy Taxi

It’s not a huge list but as far as first party SEGA titles go, you could do a lot worse. And I suppose a few of them are backwards compatible on XBO or on PSNOW on PS4. And now we can add Shenmue to that, too!

Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram has a X360 port as well. If i'm not mistaken, It's backwards compatible on XBO.

Personally, I don't even care about online modes: give me portable Phantasy Star Online with the offline quests from DC/GC versions and I will be a very happy person. Phantasy Star Portable 1, 2 and Nova are cool handheld games but I would love to play the first PSO on the go.

It's a case of wishful thinking especially when it comes to emulation. While M2 are one of the best companies when it comes to commerical emulation, most of their games have been of the older systems like the Mega Drive or the X/Y Board with Virtua Racing that is their latest that they have got up and that is Model 1. The Dreamcast/NAOMI hardware is a big jump from that. I don't even think the Switch is powerful enough to run Dreamcast emulation perfectly and hobbyist emulation is still not good enough to truly replace the system. Besides there are certain Saturn games and some of their arcade hardware that probably M2 would rather want to do first.

If you are going to get Dreamcast titles, they are going to be ports like that Shenmue collection. Expect the DX version of Sonic Adventure. Expect most of the 360/PS3 DC ports to get re-released so yet another port of Crazy Taxi.

Don't mind me wrong, there are plenty of Dreamcast/NAOMI/Model 3 Sega games that I would love to see. Sega Rally 2 with the graphics/performance of the Model 3 version with the Dreamcast extras. Skies of Arcadia, Zombie Revenge, Dynamite Cop, Toy Commander, Headhunter, Cosmic Smash, Virtua Fighter 3, Samba de Amigo, Segagaga even. If licensing was possible; add Ferrari F355 Challenge, Virtua Tennis 2, Metropolis Street Racer and Scud Race to the list. Star Wars Trilogy would be amazing but realistically not possible.

Speaking of which... Sega is releasing one of the Dreamcast era Virtual On games along with an emulated version of Virtual On and a port of Virtual On Force on the PS4 in Japan: https://gematsu.com/2018/10/virtual-on-virtual-on-oratorio-tangram-and-virtual-on-force-coming-to-ps4

Chances are that it is going to be the 360 version though.

Well see the same games Sega constantly shuffles out every time they do this

If it happens sonic adventure  1 and 2. Crazy taxi. Super monkey ball. Maybe space channel outside that if theres anything else I expect them to slowly drip out games